What's new

General/Other - Grandmaster New patch removes Some of SZ corner combo & trapping options

In the corner, SZ can no longer combo into Ice Clone if he hits the opponent while the Ice Clone is currently out unless it is at the final second to 1/2 second of the Ice Clone. This takes away his ability to set up his clone trap safely after landing B2 in the corner while the clone is out.

This hurts his trapping BIG TIME and hurts is damage/combo-ability. Now, not only does SZ need meter for almost everything in open space, he needs it for corner combos as well.

Last edited:

Wetdoba

All too easy...
What corner combos need meter for him? b12, b2, and b33 are all meterless starters in the corner...

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
You should know better than this and give the developers a little more credit. If this patch was based on community opinion, kenshi would have been buffed to hell.

Edit: also, the thread stating that sub should NOT be nerfed was met with overwhelming support

Double edit: Tom has since removed the paragraph where he was blaming these changes on people who were crying about sub,which is why my post may seem to not make sense

Last edited:
What corner combos need meter for him? b12, b2, and b33 are all meterless starters in the corner...

When the clone is out in a corner trap situation - You can now no longer B2, B2, B12 ~ Clone unless it is at the last second of the Ice Clone that is already on screen. This forces you to use EX Ice Blast in those situations.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Understand what my post says..

WHEN THE CLONE IS OUT AND YOUR OPPONENT IS IN A CORNER TRAP.. You can now no longer B2, B2, B12 ~ Clone unless it is at the last second of the Ice Clone that is already on screen. This forces you to use EX Ice Blast in those situations.
So if ice clone is not already out then he gets a safe ice clone set up, if it was already out and was the reason for opening up his opponent in the corner then he doesnt get another one for free... Sounds reasonable to me. Dude still has godlike normals.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Quan Chi barely got touched at all lol.
Summoner Quan Chi lost a lot of his Bat zoning pressure, so you might see a significant playstyle change from what it used to be.

You'll just see less corner combos and damage from SZ, maybe some different trapping, but not the entire playstyle.

So if ice clone is not already out then he gets a safe ice clone set up, if it was already out and was the reason for opening up his opponent in the corner then he doesnt get another one for free... Sounds reasonable to me. Dude still has godlike normals.
His game is the corner and the ability to safely re-set the clone trap and keep you contained. People have no problem with Quan Chi being able to safely loop you to oblivion but demand SZ's already unsafe corner game nerfed.

C9-Keiji

Noob
Tom I think they nerf your character just because we all look forward to how you react afterwards it never seems to fail and I love the entertainment everytime. I don't agree with the nerf considering sub zero has yet to win or achieve shit in tourney same with cassie so I think it was a bit early but will see what happens now. I think they should of laid off cassie and sub a little until next patch at least.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Yeah, you used to be able to B2,B2, D1, B1,2~ice clone. That's gone. Has anyone tried B2, B2, D1, 2,4...wait..ice clone?

Susceptible to wake ups, but if make a read you can punish the wake up...or theyre stuck behind a clone.

I guess what I'm saying is, a new strategy in the corner is needed. So being the best sub player out there, find it man.

Tom I think they nerf your character just because we all look forward to how you react afterwards it never seems to fail and I love the entertainment everytime. I don't agree with the nerf considering sub zero has yet to win or achieve shit in tourney same with cassie so I think it was a bit early but will see what happens now. I think they should of laid off cassie and sub a little until next patch at least.
I posted a thread explaining how the nerf effects the corner game. I do not see how this is a "reaction".

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Because "you guys" were not punishing. That's not getting away with murder because he can, it's because "you guys" allowed it by refusing to punish him.
True, but it required meter to do so. And at the same time... instant clone as soon as the clone disappears? Matches against sub zero for me were literally just standing there ducking freezes waiting for him to back himself in the corner the entire game and me waiting for him to mess up. So now you have to use some meter to extend your corner stuff. It'll be alright. But you know more about sub than I do.