What's new

General/Other - Grandmaster New patch removes Some of SZ corner combo & trapping options

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
With normal aura you take no chip damage. You can EX aura to lessen unblocked demage, but then you don't want to take damage at all and by EXing aura you sort of expect to take a load. From what I've seen so far Unbreakable SZs tend to use normal aura just to be safe from chip and save bar for EX ball or EX slide. I have yet to see gameplay when EX aura or Ex parry are used more often. Now it's like with EX Ice clone - nobody seams to care to use it.

Anyway, I was just trying to answer the question why uber-defensive SZ variation is not that popular. Yet. Maybe it will change.
Do you think it would be practical to activate EX aura to go for a high risk/high reward situation to lesson the risk on damage?

ZeZe

The smart stuff!
Do you think it would be practical to activate EX aura to go for a high risk/high reward situation to lesson the risk on damage?
This is the problem with Unbreakable SZ. There is no high reward. His most damaging combos are pretty hard to execute and even if you make it (in the corner), your reward is 36% damage or something like that. Small combos are for like 18%. No chip though might justify that low dmg.
Also I'm pretty sure EX aura has it's place, for example against characters who have lots of DoT tools like Outlaw Erron or Noxious Reptile. As far as I know @Braindead and @Sharpyu play Unbreakable SZ a bunch, so they could give some insight.

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
What I find strange is that no one complains about safe 50/50's but they complain about the unsafe ones.....
Just for the record, Errons 50/50s are just as unsafe as subs stuff. Either -10 on block or have holes that can be armored through, similar to clone setups. As you say, the community simply hasn't studied them well enough to punish each.

Lol, thanks for proving you know absolutely nothing about how the character is played.
Considering he's my main and I did Grandmaster prior to the patch then switched to Unbreakable - I know enough. I just think it's petty to say the shit Brady said (and then deleted) in the original post. Especially when you're such a well known player and looked up to by a lot of new players.

Especially when you're constantly saying people need to give the game room to breathe instead of crying OP all the time - then doing the exact opposite of that mentality by throwing a shit fit within 2 hours of a patch.

The Cassie community didn't do it, they found work-arounds almost immediately. In fact I haven't seen anyone in the community really do it but Tom, lol.

There are a ton of other options besides Grandmaster Sub Zero out there - and if you absolutely have to stick with Grand Master Sub Zero, the nerf isn't going to destroy his corner pressure by any means, it just means you have to play at a more technical level with your klones and actually use ice smash instead of relying solely on your klones to open up your opponent.

and saying "you don't need to focus on leveling up, just cry about shit until you get your way" is instantly going to set off my trolldar and make me dig into you and speak my mind. It's like Brady enjoys nullifying half of the shit he says by spouting off 13 year old "I didn't get the ice cream bar" rants whenever he's not on top of the world sticking his dick in everyone's ass - and too many fighting game players have that mentality.

Losing isn't that bad of a thing, not being able to adapt is.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
This is the problem with Unbreakable SZ. There is no high reward. His most damaging combos are pretty hard to execute and even if you make it (in the corner), your reward is 36% damage or something like that. Small combos are for like 18%. No chip though might justify that low dmg.
Also I'm pretty sure EX aura has it's place, for example against characters who have lots of DoT tools like Outlaw Erron or Noxious Reptile. As far as I know @Braindead and @Sharpyu play Unbreakable SZ a bunch, so they could give some insight.
EX aura is definitely useful but you should be smart about using it. Eating 40% less damage is very good.

I don't think his midscreen combos having low damage is a problem because one combo carries the opponent more than half-way through the stage, which makes it very easy to corner the opponent. And in the corner Sub-Zero shines. Between his meterless mixups and his parry and not taking any chip damage, he is just scary in the corner. Also if you punish an opponent in the corner you can take a risk and go for the reset which can give you an extremely good 50% meterless damage overall. Or you can opt to use the EX Aura for that reset which lowers the risk and makes the risk/reward better in your favour.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
EX aura is definitely useful but you should be smart about using it. Eating 40% less damage is very good.

I don't think his midscreen combos having low damage is a problem because one combo carries the opponent more than half-way through the stage, which makes it very easy to corner the opponent. And in the corner Sub-Zero shines. Between his meterless mixups and his parry and not taking any chip damage, he is just scary in the corner. Also if you punish an opponent in the corner you can take a risk and go for the reset which can give you an extremely good 50% meterless damage overall. Or you can opt to use the EX Aura for that reset which lowers the risk and makes the risk/reward better in your favour.
Im going to start posting my matches as UB sub.

I just keep aura up at all times and just play footsies, throw a lot, punish and get them in the corner and then go for mix ups. I use parry when the opponent gets overly aggressive or on solid reads.

No disrespect to players who just dont know, but aura is godlike. It's so easy to get out, it lasts a long time, and yeah, no chip. Imo, unbreakable is the variation that literally just withers the opponent down and freezes their soul. ;)

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
The idea to include variations was stupid imo. All they had to do was recreate MK9, add some extra moves and improve the graphics, fighting tech for competitive matches. Everything else, except for the obvious of having to create a new story mode (which sucks btw), could've been left the same.

People don't have favourite "variations" they have favourite characters/fighters. MK9 >> MK10 in that respect. I'll still play it though, but I'm quickly getting bored.
I hate to break it to you but I think you are in the minority. Most of us find variations make the game LESS boring.

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
I was about to post about EX aura but I feel like Braidead already explained it perfectly.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
I dunno, I saw this as totally inevitable. Now that it's over with I feel like I can invest in Sub since I won't be getting used to shit just to lose it.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Don't know if posted yet have not read through all pages

But sub can do b2 b2 1 1 b12 ice clone pretty consistent,

He gets 34 of the njp njp

And 38 of njp 123 slide

Temptress

Edenian Empress
\
You dont know what you're talking about. You dont even understand how this character works.
Aren't you the guy who claimed that Kitana is a great character with good normal attacks? I also remember you telling Kitana mains to get better at whiff punishing.