What's new

"Must I Remind You Of My Superiority" -- Lex Luthor General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
Wow I can't believe this whole time I thought you had to wait for Lex to dial on his arm a little longer in order to reach his lvl 3 armor before dash cancelling out of it, when you can dash cancel it right away still achieving lvl 3 trait by holding down the button and still being able to walk around.

Derpa derp. .
wait, what?

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
wait, what?
Basically you can reach his lvl 3 armor on any knock down he gets by dash cancelling it right away while holding down his trait button while still being able to jump, block low, or walk around freely. No more lvl 1 or 2 trait for me :D lvl 3 all day

Please refer to this video by WonderChef. He showcases it.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
hmm I wonder if they're going to patch it out...that's great...I also didnt realize the recovery time is the same whether lvl 1 or 3

hmm I wonder if they're going to patch it out...that's great...I also didnt realize the recovery time is the same whether lvl 1 or 3
They better not. It is by far the most important part of my Lex. He needs it, and no ones complaining, so HOPEFULLY it will stay. I'm completely reliant on this for keeping momentum and pressuring characters that outzone Lex.

Thead

Noob
22D3 has enough frame advantage on block to allow Lex a standing 1 or D1. I recommend D1 because A) It's slightly faster B) Standing 1 can be ducked and C) Lexs 50/50 on D1 hit.

Opponents can escape the frame trap with a backdash, which is punishable with Corpse Charge.

22D1 is Mid Mid Overhead, on hit you have enough advantage to Mine/Orb, or hit them with a follow up Corpse Charge for 19% combo damage (although this allows you no setups).

22B3 is Mid Mid Low and is safe on block.

22D3 has to be performed fairly close for the frame trap to work,this makes Ji2, 22 a great jump in attack. - After further testing its possible to duck the 2nd hit of 22, making it not as great a string as I thought

Ji2, 22 can be easily hit-confirmed into Gravity Pull MB, or on block confirmed into D1 for the frame advantage.

22D1/22B3 can be fuzzy guarded, I'm sure.

Wemfs

22D3 has enough frame advantage on block to allow Lex a standing 1 or D1. I recommend D1 because A) It's slightly faster B) Standing 1 can be ducked and C) Lexs 50/50 on D1 hit.
This is great. If you condition them to expect the d1 afterwards you can hit them with f2 into w/e

Wemfs

Some questions for all you Lex players out there - How do you go about acquiring your lvl3 trait? After which knock down do you go for it specifically?

Malec

Noob
Some questions for all you Lex players out there - How do you go about acquiring your lvl3 trait? After which knock down do you go for it specifically?
most of the time after corpse charge hit, depending on the opponent, i trait up and dash back or forward, or if they have no fast projectiles, i use a probe or a mine first and then charge the trait up and backdash or dash forward.
but there is no golden rule or anything, you kinda have to know the char of your opponent, their options and so on, then you can time and plan your setups.

Thead

Noob
B1 gives enough advantage on block to gain a free Throw.

On hit you don't technically have enough advantage to free throw, however a throw will still grab on them on hit unless they read you won't finish the string - a massive risk for them.

This makes B1 a useful setup for tic throws.

As with most Frame Traps the opponent can avoid this by back dashing after B1 is blocked, again though its a massive risk as you could finish the string into full combo.

B12 by itself is safe.

Wemfs After every Corpse Charge connects you get a free opportunity to Trait. Other than that it depends on the matchup, what traps you have set up and where the enemy is. I haven't integrated it into a combo ender as of yet, as I'm having too much fun with Mines and Orbs. Let me know if you find anything.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Basically you can reach his lvl 3 armor on any knock down he gets by dash cancelling it right away while holding down his trait button while still being able to jump, block low, or walk around freely. No more lvl 1 or 2 trait for me :D lvl 3 all day

Please refer to this video by WonderChef. He showcases it.
WHAT?

I did not see this, this is going to be hella useful.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
i made it to 7th place using 3 games lex and one batman. after this tournament i feel like lex cant compete with high tier characters. i think lex may be among the low tiers. i will keep in touch with lex but i hope he gets buffed. i wont use him in tournament again except specific matchups i know i can win.

Malec

Noob
i made it to 7th place using 3 games lex and one batman. after this tournament i feel like lex cant compete with high tier characters. i think lex may be among the low tiers. i will keep in touch with lex but i hope he gets buffed. i wont use him in tournament again except specific matchups i know i can win.
can you explain why you think so?
Has anyone else been called a spammer on xbox live/psn for using Lex's jumping 3 a lot?
i have on psn, just for using lex in general. and coming from tekken and other fighting games, i dont give a f.... if they are to stupid and get hit over and over again, ofc i use whatever hit them until they learn to block it

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
can you explain why you think so?
well, im no top player and its just early and these are only my opinions, but heres why;

too much start up on everything. not enough damage on his traps and zoning. damage output in general i feel is low. he is easily outzoned by real zoning characters. he is easily out pressured by rushdown characters. he doesnt really excel in an area that other characters dont already do better. many times already i have been on a roll with the traps, something like this;
probe, armor, laser, staff, missile, probe, staff and at the end of it ive done like 25% damage. other characters can use just one MB projectile and get like 19-20% effortlessly. lex projectiles could use a damage buff imo. weapon drop is only like 14% or 16%, it has great advantage but doesnt hit airborne characters like superman, hawkgirl, etc.

in top 8 you're gonna see supes batman aquaman deathstroke doomsday etc. and these guys all have the ability to both outzone and outpressure him. i draw a comparison between noob saibot and lex - noob was beaten by everyone up close, was outzoned by half the cast, had ridiculous whiff frames [lex has ridiculous start up frames]. also lex normals are too slow on recovery. but then, he does have decent range so a faster recovery might be a little overboard.

BDMao88 LizardLard

regulas

Your Emporer
well, im no top player and its just early and these are only my opinions, but heres why;

too much start up on everything. not enough damage on his traps and zoning. damage output in general i feel is low. he is easily outzoned by real zoning characters. he is easily out pressured by rushdown characters. he doesnt really excel in an area that other characters dont already do better. many times already i have been on a roll with the traps, something like this;
probe, armor, laser, staff, missile, probe, staff and at the end of it ive done like 25% damage. other characters can use just one MB projectile and get like 19-20% effortlessly. lex projectiles could use a damage buff imo. weapon drop is only like 14% or 16%, it has great advantage but doesnt hit airborne characters like superman, hawkgirl, etc.

in top 8 you're gonna see supes batman aquaman deathstroke doomsday etc. and these guys all have the ability to both outzone and outpressure him. i draw a comparison between noob saibot and lex - noob was beaten by everyone up close, was outzoned by half the cast, had ridiculous whiff frames [lex has ridiculous start up frames]. also lex normals are too slow on recovery. but then, he does have decent range so a faster recovery might be a little overboard.

BDMao88 LizardLard

I'm a noob but some thoughts that came to mind;

Lex's ranged tools are not supposed to do damage, they are meant just to let you get advantage (i.e. probe is a ~80 advantage weather they block or are hit), and laser and mine are about positional control.

From what I can tell Lex is a momentum character, essentially a "rushdown" who relies on his other abilities to be able to maintain pressure rather then having dominant strings unto themselves.
Main thing I am practising timing on right now is; Corps charge for a knockdown, then dashcancel trait forward direct into combo (4ff2~etc). I've tested and against most of the cast they basically have to move backwards. Any wake-up will be stuffed, and blocking is taking a 50/50 that armor makes fairly safe.

On finishing combo's I'm starting to prefer landing them close to you and using probe, as when it hits you get a 50/50 so long as you are close enough to use the advantage.

Malec

Noob
exactly what regulas is saying, Lex is a rushdown or at least a close up character that uses his gadges to get the advantage, cause his strings and normals are not that great.
and while i realy like this kind of playstyle, i still dont understand, why Lex has the overall worst movement in the game. Lex has to get in close on EVERYONE to make something happen, you cant outzone anybody with lex, even the characters who dont have any kind of projektile, they get in no matter what.

regulas

Your Emporer
exactly what regulas is saying, Lex is a rushdown or at least a close up character that uses his gadges to get the advantage, cause his strings and normals are not that great.
and while i realy like this kind of playstyle, i still dont understand, why Lex has the overall worst movement in the game. Lex has to get in close on EVERYONE to make something happen, you cant outzone anybody with lex, even the characters who dont have any kind of projektile, they get in no matter what.

I think his forward dash alone is solid? I will admit his overall movement isn't that great due to his large hitbox, and I don't know as of yet how I would deal with like Sinestro or Deathstroke, I guess just master dash and block :p. I guess I would most like to see some kind of ranged option change...

Make Laser start-up shorter (but have it land with the same timing) would be my favorite, enough at least so that it is harder to stuff but still very dodge-able.

Or maybe reduce lance blast recover when uncharged so that you can poke and block or something similar.

Malec

Noob
yeah and thats the problem i have, i dont think his forward dash is that solid. maybe its me or online, but i cant dash in between those deathstroke pistol shots, even on block, i have to walk and block and if this wasnt bad enough cause of the movement speed, smart deathstrokes can also walk/jump/dash back, use interactables. one mistage on my side and i am fullscreen on the ground again.

volkmair

Noob
What I've been finding is that other than gravity pull in combos I've been playing Lex like corps charge is his only special move as more often than not all his other moves will get clean beat during startup, or at best trade unless you are really on point with your timing and spacing.

PRS

Xbl: dem0neyes
What I've been finding is that other than gravity pull in combos I've been playing Lex like corps charge is his only special move as more often than not all his other moves will get clean beat during startup, or at best trade unless you are really on point with your timing and spacing.
Its all gimmicks. You can't just throw out probe or call the laser whenever you want. You need to read the opponents habits and find where they might sit still or make a mistake. After a combo u can reset into the ground trap and read how they deal with it. If they get hit, combo them back into another one, but if they block some might tend to sit there and do nothing. When that happens you can probably throw out a probe. If you get this probe out you can try and call laser to time it striking after they are forced to block the probe shot.

Also for the gravity pull if you sit at the right spacing and you notice ppl pushing buttons when they shouldn't u can just scoop them with the the gravity pull.

Wemfs

I started messing around with a different mine setup last night. You do your typical BnB - 112~MB pull, B3, Ji2, B2~normal gravity mine or far mine. I did a lot of testing with it and I find it very promising. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.