What's new

"Must I Remind You Of My Superiority" -- Lex Luthor General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
Are any of you guys consistently comboing out of ji3, d1? I have so much trouble getting the d1 x MB Gravity Pull to come out. The cancel needs to be done so quickly.
In practice? Sure, in a match hell no haha. I get so nervous playing still it's horrible.

To combo with a ji3 you literally have to be kissing them then do the 3 in to d1 grav pull mb. Land a close mine or you're crossing up and pray you don't get hit, when you are EXACTLY right above them press 3 then d1 grav pull mb when you hit the ground.

What's are Bruce better AA options and can you combo afterwards?
I like u3 personally, but I have not tested the properties of all of his AA moves, so I can't guarantee that it is the best. I will update this after I do a bit more testing.

EDIT: f2 is definitely the best

Jetm

That Guy
I sort of stumbled into an interesting mind game/mix up with Lex, today. If you end a combo in such a way that you can get a trait dash off, you can time a Corps Charge (bf+2) to hit their wakeup. Since you'll have a level 3 trait shield, they have kind of a no-win situation. If they wake up with anything but a block, they get hit by the charge and you get an untechable knockdown. If they block, they can't really punish the charge because you'll ignore their first attack. As a result, you can almost always either block or counter-attack their attempted punish, usually with armor or a throw. Just thought I'd share in case this turns out to be useful tech!
It's nice, but I'm relatively certain there are some characters that will still punish you for that due to rather quick, multihitting strings. Like Nightwing.

On a setup note, what do you think about near unblockable setups with the mine?

(Any ground starter) db2+MB b3 j2 d2 (dd3/dd3+f) ji3.

You have enough time after the mine to jump in with 3 without fear of reversal from most of the cast. The spacing will put them directly in front of the mine and the ji3 will push them immediately into it, making it slightly harder to block than Doomsday's high-low. The dd3+f variant is for catching tech rolls. The roll will put them at a distance at which they will be tipped by your axe if they try something, and on hit or block will still push them into the mine. Alternatively you can leave the mine after a close setup and go for a pushblock unblockable. With either setup, you're guaranteed to hit second with the mine, meaning you will get a combo if they get hit. Works rather well, gets you roughly 60% and a fully charged trait + advantage with a d2 ender on the second combo after b3 j2.

One way or another, you get a mine out with advantage so I'm willing to lose a little damage for this. Also, someone was asking about MB airstrike a page back. Fullscreen, the strike has enough knockdown time to let you guarantee a laser against most of the cast. On stages like Ferris Airfield, you can hit someone with the left corner pendulum into guaranteed missiles into laser.

I've been using these a lot, so if anyone finds some glaring problems with them, it'd be handy to know.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
Jetm that's some good tech, but why is doing a ji2 d2 better than doing a ji3, 22/21/, mine?

I find doing a ji3 to push them in to a mine is very interesting and I want to try it out more. Overhead pushed in to a low? What's not to like! Great find.

"glaring problems" as you stated before that you said it works on most of the cast, but characters like jokers pistol, harleys pistol, aka anyone with a fast wakeup will punish you. But I think with Lex it's allllll about mixing things up to keep them on their toes.

Jetm

That Guy
Jetm that's some good tech, but why is doing a ji2 d2 better than doing a ji3, 22/21/, mine?

I find doing a ji3 to push them in to a mine is very interesting and I want to try it out more. Overhead pushed in to a low? What's not to like! Great find.

"glaring problems" as you stated before that you said it works on most of the cast, but characters like jokers pistol, harleys pistol, aka anyone with a fast wakeup will punish you. But I think with Lex it's allllll about mixing things up to keep them on their toes.
The ji2 d2 floats them much higher, giving you ample time to set the mine and jump in. It also puts them at the perfect spacing for the setup. If you start the combo from the mine, however, ji2 d2 won't float high enough to allow you to jump in reliably before they wake up, so that's why I suggest trait + forward dash or probes.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
The ji2 d2 floats them much higher, giving you ample time to set the mine and jump in. It also puts them at the perfect spacing for the setup. If you start the combo from the mine, however, ji2 d2 won't float high enough to allow you to jump in reliably before they wake up, so that's why I suggest trait + forward dash or probes.
You sure? I tested both out and it seems like they both put the mine down at the same time with same spacing.

Jetm

That Guy
You sure? I tested both out and it seems like they both put the mine down at the same time with same spacing.
I guess I'd have to test it some more. I may have only tested 11 rather than 22.

Edit: After testing, I'm not sure how you're getting the same timing with ji3 22 and ji2 d2. ji2 d2 had the mine land at the same time the opponent did, meaning that if they didn't tech they'd stand up well after you jumped. On the other hand, ji3 22 or 21 had them land well before the mine, giving you less of an advantage on your jump, meaning you don't get a meaty ji3. I'm fairly certain that, even hitting at its highest point, 22 or 21 won't bounce as high as a ji2 d2.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
I guess I'd have to test it some more. I may have only tested 11 rather than 22.

Edit: After testing, I'm not sure how you're getting the same timing with ji3 22 and ji2 d2. ji2 d2 had the mine land at the same time the opponent did, meaning that if they didn't tech they'd stand up well after you jumped. On the other hand, ji3 22 or 21 had them land well before the mine, giving you less of an advantage on your jump, meaning you don't get a meaty ji3. I'm fairly certain that, even hitting at its highest point, 22 or 21 won't bounce as high as a ji2 d2.
Show me a video. They are the exact same.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
Jetm

I know the mine reaction of the end depends on timing, but to me it looks like the timing of the mine down is exactly the same. Am I doing something wrong?

From what I've played of Lex he can work well off of an opponents wake up. Once he knocks someone down he can go for various trap setups or armor himself up and it can be very annoying for an opponent to deal with, especially when you mix in the ocasional unblockable weapons locked :V

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I accidentally did an awesome setup with Lex against GuamoKun today. I threw a mid mine and when he was around sweep range I activated my super. Naturally he backed up to whiff punish or something and hit the mine. I feel like there's a lot of potential setups with this. Off a close knockdown you can throw a mid mine and activate your super. If they don't block low on the mine the last hit of the super will hit and you'll get your space laser rape. Not a true reset but I think it will catch a lot of people off guard.

I accidentally did an awesome setup with Lex against GuamoKun today. I threw a mid mine and when he was around sweep range I activated my super. Naturally he backed up to whiff punish or something and hit the mine. I feel like there's a lot of potential setups with this. Off a close knockdown you can throw a mid mine and activate your super. If they don't block low on the mine the last hit of the super will hit and you'll get your space laser rape. Not a true reset but I think it will catch a lot of people off guard.
My only problem with this is that Lex is one character that I absolutely would NEVER use a super with. I would argue that he requires meter more than any other character in the game. He has absolutely no meterless combos besides standard combo-cancel into special type stuff. To get any good damage out of him, you are required to use at least 1 bar of meter. Yes he builds meter quickly, but throwing out supers with him as part of a setup is a bit of a stretch.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
My only problem with this is that Lex is one character that I absolutely would NEVER use a super with. I would argue that he requires meter more than any other character in the game. He has absolutely no meterless combos besides standard combo-cancel into special type stuff. To get any good damage out of him, you are required to use at least 1 bar of meter. Yes he builds meter quickly, but throwing out supers with him as part of a setup is a bit of a stretch.
We were both down to like 30% on red health and i happened to have it so why not

We were both down to like 30% on red health and i happened to have it so why not
Then by all means super away! I didnt mean to come off as harsh and arrogant as I am now realizing I did. This is definitely one of the best ways to set up his super. I was just questioning when there was a viable time to use his super, and you answered that.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
about using his super, i think its a great move to keep them in check if its going to kill them. you can punish most advancing specials and normals and strings on reaction. i did this to my friend a lot offline just the other day and had so many Super wins. gotta respect that shit!

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Wow I can't believe this whole time I thought you had to wait for Lex to dial on his arm a little longer in order to reach his lvl 3 armor before dash cancelling out of it, when you can dash cancel it right away still achieving lvl 3 trait by holding down the button and still being able to walk around.

Derpa derp. .

Status
Not open for further replies.