What's new

Mortal Kombat Revival

UMK3 base engine is not recreating UMK3... the master switches are just a way to ensure a lot of people can learn / enjoy the game; like a learning curve a persona can start having the game like MK1 / MK2, then when feeling ready can activate UMK3 gameplay options, once he's familiar with kombos and run, can activate MK Revival original gameplay options.

The goal however is not re-making UMK3, it have never been... so don't take my words out of context.

In which respects to the orbs... your balls might explote when dealing with MK9 because of the X-Bar... it's a lot worst than my system, but we'll get to that once the game is released and people can compare it with this project.

AC1984: Check some more progress in this link: http://www.mortalkombatonline.com/content/forum/showmessage.cds?id=127736&page=1

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I made an MK style Undertaker character for MUGEN, basically just ripping off a Sub-zero edit for the time being, didn't really spend a whole lot of time on it and never finished it. I hacked in MKish style things for him and they look pretty ludicrous, sweep, flip jump RH, alternating punches, a really hacked fatality, some hacked ass specials. It was fun. I wish I was better at programming or at least had the patience for it because I would probably love to make characters like this. I mean Hell, I would probably make an MK style game with all the characters from WM Arcade and all the SF the Movie characters and do MK Vs SF Vs WWE Universe Legends.

Not to mention I also started working on an Arcade Sprite Beat Em Up based fighting game as well maybe 18 months ago, starting with TMNT. I have all the sprites ripped and tried my best to work with the Karate Man to at least get something going for a few characters, but I always ran into walls where I couldn't figure stuff out.

Check out Undertaker here: http://ultimatemk.com/dtz/tempmatt/mugentaker/mugentaker.wmv

Otherwise back on topic, a UMK3 based engine to me means getting all normals to work as they do in UMK3.

I like the final punch animation for Jax's gotcha, I think that is a necessary change. The bounce hit in his powerup mode, I don't know if that's necessary, but if anything it should operate like the slam and bounce of Ermac's telekinetic slam, meaning they don't float like say, how they bounce in the 3D games.

dreemernj

Ambassador
UMK3 base engine is not recreating UMK3... the master switches are just a way to ensure a lot of people can learn / enjoy the game; like a learning curve a persona can start having the game like MK1 / MK2, then when feeling ready can activate UMK3 gameplay options, once he's familiar with kombos and run, can activate MK Revival original gameplay options.

The goal however is not re-making UMK3, it have never been... so don't take my words out of context.

In which respects to the orbs... your balls might explote when dealing with MK9 because of the X-Bar... it's a lot worst than my system, but we'll get to that once the game is released and people can compare it with this project.

AC1984: Check some more progress in this link: http://www.mortalkombatonline.com/content/forum/showmessage.cds?id=127736&page=1
I see where the confusion is coming from then. There is no way to take "Re-creating UMK3 / MKT (PSX/PC) as closest as possible" out of context, you just used the wrong phrase. You will be incorporating aspects of UMK3 into this game, but not actually recreating it as closely as possible.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I have an offer from someone who messaged me on MKOnline, just happened to see it the other day, who wants to make a Mugen MK game with it being as close as possible to traditional 2D style. We'll see if he posts it on the forum.

Dark_Rob

Noob
I have an offer from someone who messaged me on MKOnline, just happened to see it the other day, who wants to make a Mugen MK game with it being as close as possible to traditional 2D style. We'll see if he posts it on the forum.
A smart move contacting you first. At least he started off on the right foot.

MKK hanzo

how so? I really doubt ANYONE on these forums really knows if MK9 is going to be good/bad and less ppl know how is going to be played.

Do you know what meter management is? Dont google it cause it s not on google. you as a "wise player" know really what means that? Zoning? Spacing? Footsies? Reading? Lockdowns? Mixups? Vortex?

I make meter management specially notable cause MK9 is going to be VERY meter dependant, and some characters may base their gameplay in that.

How do you compare your game with gameplay modes to that?

Or better yet:

Imagine that your game is sucesfull.

But ppl start playing more with the "MKI" mode.

WHAT about the ppl that enjoy the "revival" mode?

If your game gets an "scene" what will be the rules? "No modifying options"

Its like disabling combos, enabling unlimited run or even jumping lol.

A sad story: Some guys here from our country loved to play with unlimited run and they claimed themselves as the best in Venezuela

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=los+reyes+de+mortal+kombat&aq=f

They have their own skilss but... Guess what? they attended an MKk tourney and they got trashed by not only MKK staff (wich were the top 8 lol) but from guys from other states as well.

Then we did a 4 vs 4 state vs state and they placed last.

Why?

Cause they played "their own version of MKT" Not by universal rules but even worse.

More sad is that we played few matches with them using unlimited run and when we did a pop up in them we almost ran corner to corner with aaHps and they called on us "hey thats cheap" then our magic and almost automated answer was:

"why do you turn it on then?"

They are from Maracaibo Edo. Zulia Frozen in case you dont believe me.

I hope you can get something of this story if you REALLY are making this "game" for competitive audience or only for training mode combos only.

AC1984

Kaballin!
Leave the classics alone frozen...they are the best and nothing can repleace the hype and enjoyment while playing them...(maybe the HD thing would do it but idk)

Okay... I'm not posting anything else in this forum.

If anyone is interested in the project, our progress will be posted in other places... google it. If anyone is interested in helping us as testers or anything like that, my msn is [email protected]

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Hanzo at my first ever UMK3 tournament in 2001, someone playing there asked me if we could do unlimited run and I did some corner to corner jab combos, and yes, I got heat for it. They never asked to use it again.

FrozenWorm, you are always welcome to post whatever you want here, but if you're going to stop because you can't take constructive criticism, then so be it. Remember you're selling an idea to people who have been playing a specific version of a game for over 15 years. We want new stuff, but we don't want a en entirely new engine. Fix the problems in UMK3 and MKT, then add stuff. Then when you add new stuff, you'll see all the new problems.

Remember, I said the stuff you sent me to test was the best I've seen, going on the right track and continue to make more characters based using what you guys have, then in this thread you said you're not going to do that, but yet a programmer in here said you guys would. What are we supposed to do? The "biggest" "best" and "most playable" MUGEN MK game has been in the works through at least 4 different main programmers over the last 5 or 6 years, and we're all still waiting.

Bleed

Noob
I thought this thread was dead..

Well I'm still tweaking the master system on my end, not getting character specific yet. Just getting the general codes file ready, so I can reference it with different characters.

If I can get one character working pretty close, all I need to do is swap the sprites to get the basics working ok for any other. If there are things which are character specific, it can be tweaked over the base code.

The last thing I put together was a list of Hit definitions or "Hit Properties" that can be referenced by any character with very little code. Instead of coding the entire hit definition for every move, I tell it to reference a variable from the Basics file that has everything pre built.

High punch

Low punch

HK

etc.

I got all the basics in there, what I need to do now is tweak them to work like they should. I'm having some trouble getting it just right because I don't have frame data and other move properties.

I'm just tweaking by eye for now, till I can get that sort of info.

I need details like..

[High Punch]

Number of tics. per frame

Hit pause time for attacker

Hit pause time for enemy

How far the enemy is pushed back

How far does the attacker move forward

How much damage on hit, block

Guard stun time

Hit stun time

Combo animation transition time/command input timing

etc.

I was looking through the character info on this website, but it doesn't have enough detail. I need something closer to the frame data charts at virtuafighter.com

If not, I have to tweak by eye and feel to get it close.

I never see you available on messenger Shock.

As far a this being a remake of UMK3 or a recognized upgrade to it. It's not... I'm not going to pretend it would ever come close to that level of legitimacy.

This is something I enjoy working on for the fun of it, that's all. It would be amazing if it became something special, but then we'd have some potentially serious legal problems with Warner Brothers.

I was reading on another forum about the fan game, Terror Dome. They got a Cease and Desist court order for their project.

Still it's fun to work on it as a hobby, and try to make something decent to play around with...

MKK hanzo

I thought this thread was dead..

Well I'm still tweaking the master system on my end, not getting character specific yet. Just getting the general codes file ready, so I can reference it with different characters.

If I can get one character working pretty close, all I need to do is swap the sprites to get the basics working ok for any other. If there are things which are character specific, it can be tweaked over the base code.

The last thing I put together was a list of Hit definitions or "Hit Properties" that can be referenced by any character with very little code. Instead of coding the entire hit definition for every move, I tell it to reference a variable from the Basics file that has everything pre built.

High punch

Low punch

HK

etc.

I got all the basics in there, what I need to do now is tweak them to work like they should. I'm having some trouble getting it just right because I don't have frame data and other move properties.

I'm just tweaking by eye for now, till I can get that sort of info.

I need details like..

[High Punch]

Number of tics. per frame

Hit pause time for attacker

Hit pause time for enemy

How far the enemy is pushed back

How far does the attacker move forward

How much damage on hit, block

Guard stun time

Hit stun time

Combo animation transition time/command input timing

etc.

I was looking through the character info on this website, but it doesn't have enough detail. I need something closer to the frame data charts at virtuafighter.com

If not, I have to tweak by eye and feel to get it close.

I never see you available on messenger Shock.

As far a this being a remake of UMK3 or a recognized upgrade to it. It's not... I'm not going to pretend it would ever come close to that level of legitimacy.

This is something I enjoy working on for the fun of it, that's all. It would be amazing if it became something special, but then we'd have some potentially serious legal problems with Warner Brothers.

I was reading on another forum about the fan game, Terror Dome. They got a Cease and Desist court order for their project.

Still it's fun to work on it as a hobby, and try to make something decent to play around with...
Awesome. This is what I wanted to hear/read. This is what FW should have posted instead of what he wished to have in the game. THESE are real facts.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Bleed I will get all that info you requested right there tonight after work, unless someone else gets to it first.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm working on it right now, I have a lot of this stuff saved but I'm rewriting it so it's easier to understand but there's so much info. Jabs and Run, and canceling are really the hardest part to get right so we can start with jabs for now.

Edit: Here, there might be errors, only a few people would be able to point them out so please anyone who can, examine this -

Basically for anything you do in the game, you press the button, then the tick starting after the button press is recognized, there are two ticks of startup where you don't see anything happen but the move is starting. I don't remember if this already happens in MUGEN, or if you press a button, the attack starts the tick after the button is recognized. This sort of makes it difficult to explain or define when a hit is active. For example, the 17th tick of a total out and in jab animation will begin the retract and on that frame, the opponent will begin selling the contact of the frame. In this case, the last tick you can connect the hit would be 16, so far as I can tell.

Naked single HP = 2 blank ticks, Frame 1 = 3 ticks, Frame 2 = 3, frame 3 = 8 (16 ticks total for the attack portion) hot boxes = ticks 12-16 (I think for now)

Retract = frame 1 = 2, frame 2 = 3

LP = same as HP

These moves can be canceled according to the following rules:

By any special move at any time during the start up or retract (jab canceling)

By either jab (LP or HP Jab B) on or after tick 3, up until and including tick 14 causing the next jab to happen

By Block, Run, HK, or LK, which will make the jab retract as soon as it reaches tick 12 (cancels holding frames 13-16) and does activate the corresponding move (Kara jabs). So for example, Press Jab, 1, 2, press block on 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 - Retract being on 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

For alternating jabs (rear punches or Jab B)

Jab B can be canceled back into Jab A starting on frame 11 of Jab A if Jab B was pressed before that frame. I know crazy calculating here. The only way this can happen is if there are two ticks between presses, so the closest they could be is ticks 8 and 11. So it would go:

Press LP, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Press LP on 8, 9, 10, press LP on 11 which would result in 3 consecutive LPs. The latest you can cancel back into Jab A is on tick 12 of Jab B (which would include the retract/alternating animation between jabs)

the best way to do this I think would be to make each jab function as its own state, and set up the cancel timers within it. So Jab A Out, Jab A In, Jab B out, Jab B in. Once you do two jabs in a row it should go into a state where the canceling is expected in a very specific time frame. basically, it would get to the point where you could press a LP at any time during the jabs and it will continue alternating until you don't press it in time.

In order to cause push back with LPs, you must connect 3 LPs within a certain number of ticks. I have never have the patience to calculate this exactly. This is an important factor that I would actually advise to be tightened in the future, so that it is impossible to do more than 3 jabs in the corner without push back without using Run to cancel them.

Hit pause time for attacker = 0

Hit pause time for enemy = 12 (enemy can block at any time while in the stun animation after an unblocked jab happens)

How far the enemy is pushed back = N/A for now

How far does the attacker move forward = 0

How much damage on hit, block UMK3 life bar = 166 points, so as points it would be:

LP = 8, Damage Protected = 4, Blocked = 2
HP = 11, Damage Protected = 5, Blocked = 3

Guard stun time = 13

Hit stun time = isn't this hit pause? I'm getting sleepy and might be reading it wrong

I would suggest to just work on jabs for now and send us a very small demo of only jabs so we can mess with it to see if they work right. If you work on this stuff, see how close you have it, then we can work on the push back. This is going to be more difficult to full determine/explain but I think a simple way to do it is to have the opponent in stance, pick a frame, get jabbed until push back, and then determine how far they moved in the same frame of the stance, same for blocking.

Bleed

Noob
That's some good in info, I have some of that working already but it needs some tweaking.

I have the jabs separated in to 4 states, and the command for alternating is actually a buffer not a basic cancel.

It's more like if you are playing Virtua Fighter, doing a juggle. Jab, and buffer the crouch dash. That's pretty much the type of combo buffering I have going for general stuff. I can get very specific with the tics on it, you can do a 1 tic command easy with the buffer. If you guys like that better I'll leave it, or go with the normal timing. I can have it both ways. That's one of the main things in the system I'm making. These main switches let me do some variations like that pretty easy.

Hit pause is an actual pause, like you see in street fighter. Where one or both characters freeze for a moment before doing their hit animations.

Hit time is the time the hit animation lasts, not counting the pause at the start, so the actual whiplash.

But this is something good to work with, I'll make some changes and get back with something for testing.

Mugen overall has like a 1 tic delay I've noticed. When I get down to the timing on some effects, sometimes it's lagging by a tic. It's one reason why I don't have the rope shaking for Scorpion's harpoon.

I may need to get around that by altering other things, like making the attack or hit animations recover a tic faster for compensation.

Mugen 1.1 is supposed to come out soon though, and I've been reading it's supposed to run a lot smoother than the current build. I hope it fixes that problem.

[Edit]

Here's the latest video, still way off UMK3 but if you want to see what I have right now...
With the help I'm getting here, I should be able to make it close to UMK3, little by little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRfT5Vxhc0g

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Yeah while that stuff looks neat and creative, it just doesn't look anything like a Mortal Kombat game. I'm sure a lot of, if not all the added special move concepts could eventually be added in, but players are going to want it to function like MK, or as closely as possible.

Try to program in basic MK jabs like I've layed out so far. There's definitely stuff missing that will be necessary, but for now we'll see what it takes to get them to work right. I'm positive it can be done.

BeRB

Noob
I also hope you give credits and asked for permission for that moon and fog sprite you have used, Because I know the creators. I'm also disliking it already from the looks of the hitboxes ruined any hope. I'm all for a MK Dream match but if you can't get the hitboxes correct maybe you shoud let someone else do the collision like shock it's not all that hard either fighter factory makes it easy to do the CLSN.

Like shock said it has to function similar to MK, Or i for one and I'm sure others won't even play it. Will become wasted effort.

Bleed

Noob
Any stages right now are just random downloads for mugen, I'm not making a full game with it. I'm just working on the characters, not stages, not system art. I think all that stuff will be made new with 3D sprites. If you saw the other link I posted... Replacing the older sprites with some 3D HD ones.

http://elecbyte.com/forum/index.php?topic=55.0

As for the video, I know plays nothing like MK right now. It's what I have as a starting point.

I was doing what came to mind on that, not caring if it was exactly like MK. I'm making changes now because most people on here basically want a copy of UMK3.

A ton of changes need to be made for that to happen, and I just got the info on jabs to work with now.

Like I was saying before, the game has a bunch of switches in the basics code file. All that new stuff I added can be turned off if you just want UMK3 and that's it.

I could release different versions of the file with those switches already set.

As for collisions, I don't have anything to look at for MK collisions. I downloaded the N64 emulator with MKT, but the ? code doesn't work, looks like a hack of MKT. Till I can get some reference for that, it's not going to be a copy of MK. If I can get that info to match, you are still going to have some weird collisions btw, I'm sure you know this. MK's collision detection is not so perfect, you have some Phantom hits going on there. Sometimes moves don't hit when they visually make contact.

These edits are not going to be done over night, just keep that in mind.

To be clear, here's what to look at on the next edit.

Regular High and Low Punches

That's it, just getting those working right and we can move to the next part.

Bleed

Noob
Ok I'm doing some work on this tonight, I'm on the Kara jabs now, but there is some confusion.

"Quote"
By Block, Run, HK, or LK, which will make the jab retract as soon as it reaches tick 12 (cancels holding frames 13-16) and does activate the corresponding move (Kara jabs). So for example, Press Jab, 1, 2, press block on 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 - Retract being on 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

I see what this does, I hadn't noticed that trick makes jabs recover faster. The confusion is on the last part, where you say, "Retract being on 1, 2, 3, 4, 5"

What do the numbers mean?

I'm reading it like this...

I can buffer the input of Block, Run, HK, or LK from tic 3 to tic 12.

If the buffer is done during that time, the recovery animation will start after tic 12. So on tic 12 the arm is fully extended having lasted 6 tics instead of 8. On tic 13, you see the arm bending back again.

I got that part, but what do the other numbers mean after that?

Low jab for example.

Normal frame time in tics = 3,3,8,2,3

kara Fame time in tics = 3,3,6,2,3

;-------------------------------------

For the alternating punches, I have 4 states

HP1, HP2, LP1, LP2.

The animations for HP1 and LP1 on the first use are the basic full motion in a single animation.

The transitions are using a blending frame, so the next state will play 2 animations.

Transition from HP, or Transition from LP = 1 frame that lasts 3 tics.

Once that's done, it goes in to the regular animation from the arm fully bent back. Alternating punches look smooth this way, with a blend in frame depending on the previous animation.

I did notice that UMK3 has a messed up frame from the second Low Punch to HP.

If you press, LP,LP,HP You'll see the transition from LP to HP is wrong. I'll do it right for my set up though, because it's not a big deal to change. The collisions can stay the same for that, just change the sprite.

[Edit]
Push back is working now for the Jabs.

After 5 hits, if you are closer than 100 pixels from the wall, you are pushed back to 100 pixels away from the wall.
I'm not sure the exact distance for this yet.

After 3 Blocked jabs, you are pushed back to the 100 pixel distance from the wall.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The retract frame numbers are just designating the new state counting.

The minimum kara jab frame hold is 4 ticks, not 6. Full jab hold is 8. If you cancel the jab during the hold frame, the hold time can be different. So for the 8 normal hold ticks of a jab, if you press Run, Block, LK or HK, the animation cut happens 2 ticks later. It's similar to canceling the jab into another jab, except the result is different. Just ensure the fact that the minimum time a jab holds for during a cancel is 4, and the max is 8. Obviously canceling on frame 6 would have no noticeable difference.

So:
Jab hold = 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, retract begins
cancel on 1, 2, 3, 4, retract begins
1, cancel on 2, 3, 4, retract begins
1, 2, cancel on 3, 4, 5, retract begins
1, 2, 3, cancel on 4, 5, 6, retract begins
1, 2, 3, 4, cancel on 5, 6, 7, retract begins

Also remember the animation LP/HP2 back into the LP1/HP1 is different. A standing HP with nothing else has it's own animation (everyone but Liu Kang starts standing HPs with their front punching arm but Liu still cancels his rear starting HP animation into rear LP if canceled by a LP, and his front starting LP animation cancels to front starting HP, yeah weird but the animation is bizarrely organized). LP2/HP2 has it's own animation, and then LP/HP1B has another animation. So for jabs there are 3 animations for LP and 3 for HP. For example, HP1A, HP2, and HP1B.

Bleed

Noob
Ok I got the timing on the Kara jabs working with that list.

Here's how that timing is working now...

The hit frame last for 8 tics, starting on tic 7 ending on tic 14.

So the holding time 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 is actually

Arm comes fully extended at tic 7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14, Retract begins

Variable 52 is what I'm using as a timer. At the start of the state it is set to 0. On the respective tics, if the cancel command is executed, the value of Variable 52 is set to the time the retraction starts to play.

[This is the Kara buffer part of the HP Code]

;=========
[State 200, Timer Reset];For Kara Jab timing
type = VarSet
trigger1 = time = 0
v = 52
value = 0

[State 200, VarSet];For Kara Jabs
type = VarSet
triggerall = var (52) != [4,8]
trigger1 = command = "y" || command = "b" || command = "z" || command = "c"
trigger1 = time = 7
;y = HK, b = LK, z = Block, c = Run
v = 52
value = 11;time when kara cancel will happen.

type = VarSet
trigger1 = time = 8
v = 52
value = 11;time when kara cancel will happen.

type = VarSet
trigger1 = time = 9
v = 52
value = 12;time when kara cancel will happen.

type = VarSet
trigger1 = time = 10
v = 52
value = 13;time when kara cancel will happen.

type = VarSet
trigger1 = time = 11
v = 52
value = 14;time when kara cancel will happen.
;=======

[State 200, ChangeAnim Kara Jabs];faster recovery
type = ChangeAnim
trigger1 = var (52) != 0 && time = var(52)
;Variable 52 is not 0 and time = whatever value variable 52 was set to in the buffer window.
value = 200;animation to play = HP
elem = 5;Starting on retraction frame.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Jab fully extends at tick 7 based on visible changes in animation, we would actually count that as tick 9 based on how many ticks it takes to get to the jab hold after the button is pressed. For now, this is not much of an issue, so long as the flow is correct. But to further drive home the point, nothing should visibly happen for two ticks after the button is pressed.

Bleed

Noob
I'm going to have to ask on the elecbyte forum what the input delay is for mugen, I think it's 1 tic.

If I need a 2 tic delay, I may need to play the punching animation on the 2nd tic of that punching state. Just move everything over one or two tics.

[Edit]

I got the answer for mugen and it's Zero tics delay between command and when the state starts.

To get what you are asking for would be a little workaround, but I know where to look now and make the changes.

[Edit]

Two tic delay has been implemented, and it's only working with the first use of HP or LP

Alternating animations or anything past the first punches is using the normal time, starting from 0 tics, no delay during jab combos.

Only the first HP or LP can use the Kara cancel right now, unless you need it for every jab state?

;------------------------

Other updates, some for my own system.

1 = Sound/Empty Hand or Weapon Type ID

Notes: Used to label what type of sound to play for an attack and there are Random values for each type.

* Type 1 = Empty Hand Light
* Type 2 = Empty Hand Med
* Type 3 = Empty Hand Strong
* Type 4 = Blade
* Type 5 = Metal Club
* Type 6 = Laser

2 = Attack Direction ID

Notes: Used to say what direction the attack is moving, Counter CW, Clock W, Straight, High, Mid, Low...

3 = Dynamic blocking system

Notes: Uses the Attack Direction ID + Weapon Type ID to play different block animations, corresponding to the incoming attack. The blocks change and make sense visually with this set up.

* After 6 tics of this custom block state, you can press any button to do a counter move during that block stun.

* HP = Close MK3 HP
* LP = Low Jab
* HK = Round House
* LK = Close MK3 LK
* BLK = Instant Recovery
* F = Shove, causes enemy to stumble and you can chase them for a free hit.
* Run = Back Dash

These may change, but it's what I have working for that right now.

To deal with this, combos could have high and low variations to beat a guard counter. Maybe add that Kara jab recovery to more moves. If you do an attack and the enemy blocks ~ counters. You can recover faster and counter them back.

This would be used for my play mode, not the UMK3 one. My mode will have all kinds of experimental stuff like this, so does MKR mode that FrozenWorm came up with.

[Edit]

The wall push away and freeze from MK, now holds the point count until the enemy has fully recovered.

If you throw 4 punches and the enemy is staggering, delay and landing another hit will still cause the freeze and push back.

I also made it so the enemy can guard at any time during a weak stun = High and Low punches. So you can block during the rapid jabs like in MK.