What's new

Discussion MKXL Character Learning Curve Rating System

my knowledge might be quite outdated but id put commando kano mid to hard. he doesnt have the hardest execution but requires good fundamentals like spacing and reads. his advanced Combos (like ball cancel into dash into njp) are so hard they could even make him an expert character, but then he is Overall probably not as hard as ht jacqui.

cyber kano has super-easy execution and handholding spacing and combo tools, but needs some quite unconventional play to be effective at a higher Level, so id say he is beginner to normal

I don't see how Unbreakable SZ is Hard or Blood God KK is Beginner to casually pick up, but as far as my characters go I'd say:

SHINNOK
Bone Shaper: Easy / Medium
Impostor: Easy / Hard
Necromancer: Medium / Hard (Very Hard is debatable as I'm yet to fully understand his new cancels, but for now I'd say Hard)

REPTILE
Noxious: Easy / Medium

KANO
Cybernetic: Medium / Hard

KOTAL KHAN
War God: Easy / Hard? (b1 hits high, his pressure requires way more brainpower now)

QUAN CHI
Warlock: Medium / Hard?
Sorcerer: Medium / Hard?

TRIBORG
Smoke: Easy / Hard?
Sektor: Easy / Hard?

BO RAI CHO
Dragon Breath: Hard / Very Hard?

TAKEDA
Shirai Ryu: Beginner / Medium?

SUB-ZERO
Unbreakable: Medium / Very Hard?

RAIDEN
Displacer: Medium / Very Hard?
Master of Storms: Hard / Very Hard

Shinnok, Reptile and maybe Kano are the only characters I feel very comfortable at, the others are more of a consideration than an actual rating.
Thank you for your inputs! I've updated the list accordingly.

Why is FLAMEFIST Hard/ Very HARD, the variation is sooo potato especially in this meta. He's easy af like cmon now
Scorpion
Ninjutsu - Easy/Hard (execution is easy, playing at the highest level is hard)
Hellfire - Hard
Inferno - Normal

Kung Lao
Tempest - Normal
Buzzsaw - Normal
Hat Trick - Very Hard

Bo' Rai Chi
Drunken Master - Very Hard
Bartitsu - Easy
Dragon Breath - Normal

Liu Kang
Flame Fist - Easy
Dragon Fire - Hard
Dualist - Very Hard (Using the dark form is now much more dificult, there is a lot going on for him, it requires some good coordination)

Kung Jin
Acestral - Hard
Shaolin - Normal
Bojutsu - Easy

Tanya
Pyromancer - Normal
Kobujutsu - Normal
Dragon Naginata - Hard (but not that hard).

Assuming we're talking about a player who has been playing MKX since release then commando kano is relatively simple to play. It's not hard to apply his game plan in most MU's and the execution requirement isn't that difficult (I'm not talking about his optimised stuff). Assuming you're using a total beginner as a basis for this then you could argue that every character is 'very hard' to an extent.

What sort of players do you have in mind when making this and what sort of level of play are we talking about here. At high level, you can argue that Blood God is more difficult than A-List. I think it's better for you to use players that are some what competent.
I think it would be easier to consider picking up a character from a "beginner's" standpoint than from a more a experienced player's one.

Simply because once a person becomes more experienced in fighting game in general, things that would normally be hard for someone inexperienced would only take a few minutes/hours for a more experienced player to learn. Also thank you for your input.

Here Ya Go Bud. These Will Be Based Off The Characters I Play Or Played At The Highest Level

D'vorah
Swarm Queen: Hard
Venomous: Beginner
Brood Mother: Very Hard

Cassie
Brawler:Normal
Spec Ops:Normal
Hollywood:Medium

Sonya Blade
Special Forces:Very Hard
Covert Ops:Easy
Demolition: Very Hard

Alien
Konjurer:Hard
Tarkatan:Medium
Acidic:Medium

Kitana
Royal Storm:Easy
Assassin:Easy
Mournful:Medim

Scorpion
Ninjutsu: Medium/Hard

Sub-Zero
Grandmaster: Normal

Ermac
Spectral: Very Hard

Kung Jin
Ancestral:Hard

Leatherface (Killer) Normal/Hard
Leatherface (Butcher) Hard/Very Hard
Leatherface (Pretty Lady) Easy/Hard

Tremor (Metallic) Normal/Hard
Tremor (Aftershock) Hard/Very Hard
Tremor (Crystalline) Normal/Hard

Jason (Slasher) Beginner/Very Hard
Jason (Relentless) Easy/Hard
Jason (Unstoppable) Easy/Hard

Kano (Commando) Normal/Very Hard

Bo Rai Cho (Dragons Breath) Hard/Very Hard
Bo Rai Cho (Drunken Master) IMPOSSIBLE

Interesting thread, pretty cool.

Sonya Blade (Covert Ops): Beginner/Easy
Sonya Blade (Special Forces): Normal/Hard
Cassie Cage (Brawler): Easy/Normal
Cassie Cage (Hollywood): Easy/Hard
Cyrax: Hard/Very Hard

My two cents on some of the characters I play.

On this post i will explain why some of the variations i mentioned are easy, normal, hard or very hard.

I will start with Ninjutsu Scorpion
Having easy combos, easy damage, and restand to prevent wakeups, makes Ninjutsu very easy to begin with, specially when the character has priority normals preventing trades and covering lots of space.

However at the highest level when you face people that have a good defense, is where Ninjutsu needs to excel and poke people out, walk in and out and react to recovery frames as fast as he can to punish those little openings, the characters balances his ranges and priority normals from being punishable at them on block.
Ninjutsu falls on the principle that when one players has no openings due constant defense, the only time you will breach that guard is when they let their own guard down in order to attack, that's your window, in order to do that, imaculated spacing and precise reads are required.

Hat Trick Kung Lao
Having slow walkspeeds, negative pokes and strings, lots of highs, makes really dificult to play footsies, so he has to take lots of risks like being at minus most of the time if that is your style of play with hat traps pressure or dive kicks, not an easy character to pick from the get go, requires very good reactions, very good reads, and very good anticipations mostly.

His execution isn't cheap either, specially now, that in order to play at the highest level and eradicate the meter dependence to do serious damage, avoid breaks, and get more loopable pressure and setups, you need to learn his high execution level meterless combos that goes from 30 to 32 out of a 8f punishment and 35% to 40% meterless in the corner with the right punishes

Hat Trick falls on the category that in order to excel at anything else with the character, you need to learn fundamentals, piece of advice before choosing the variation? Pick Scorpion. :)

Drunken Master Bo' Rai Cho
This character is far more complicated than hat trick, while there isn't much to worry about his stamina, he has to manage not only his meter, but he needs to manage the drunk timing, having only two options of keeping the drunkeness going forces the character to either drop damage to drink or jump to escape the time out. This is primary over everything else, including execution which isn't that hard at all, but isn't that easy either moderate would be the right term here

He gets stronger as he drinks since he gets more tools to use such has the torpedo and the meditate which are very powerfull on the right hands, the biggest problem is how to maintain the drunk state.
Since Bo' is a very complex character, is advisable to learn how to play without being drunk first, then once you get REALLY familiar with his tools, its time to start drinking, however there is a new challenge, you need to learn how to count to 10 with each drink taking your focus off the matches sometimes.

Dragon Naginata Tanya

While the character doesn't have anything too revealing and such, it has a very simple concept of play, you dictate the match with your ranges, walkspeed and good strings, great footsie tools, good anti-airs, being mobility the strongest point of the variation, everytime an window oportunity appears DN Tanya needs to make it count.
With that in mind, bear that in order to land her best combos, her execution out of pogo hits are extremely thigh, but are a necessary evil since it allows her to reach full potential off her best damage.

Tanya also in this variation can soft the recovery frames of teleport by landing into the pogo stance, which opens opportunities for a new world in the air to explore as long as the pogo player knows what he is doing without opening itself too much.

wanna do dualist but he is just too hard, don't even know where to start, he is probably the hardest variation to use in full during a match right now, along with high tech jacqui.
Thank you for your inputs! I've updated the list accordingly. I appreciate the amount of dept you went into for each character. It really helps understand "why" a character is easy or hard to pick up and play.

Also on side note I really enjoyed the guide you wrote for Ninjutsu Scorpion. Very informative.

Tremor: Looking at this from a brand new players perspective Tremor is very hard. He requires run cancels, dash cancels, instant airs, manipulation of rock punch, and Shatter directions (upward, mid, and downward) , manipulation of rock drop (close, mid, far) he also can require ridiculous match up knowledge.

After shock- very hard. Depends on instant air quake (up, down, down, 1), Shatter cancels, and flash parry to be used at the highest level.

Metallic- Hard/very hard. Depends on knowing the ins and outs of two different stance types (skins). Lava roller combos are difficult, Shatter cancels, and flash parry.

Crystalline- Hard/very hard. The easiest of the 3 execution wise, but requires the most match up knowledge. Depends upon flash parry, Shatter cancels, flex/Crystalization and knowing how to use it to punish your opponent'.
https://testyourmight.com/threads/crystalline-tremor-tech-vs-the-whole-cast.57441/
Thank you for your inputs! I've updated the list accordingly. I also appreciate the extra detail.

Kotal - (Blood God) is definitely not Beginner lol. I'd put him and Lao (Buzzsaw) as hard.

Lao (Tempest) - Easy

Kenshi (Possessed) - Easy

Kenshi (Balanced) - Beginner

Jax (all 3) - Medium

Kotal (Sun God) - Easy
You need to give me 2 ratings to work with. Basically a rating for how easy/hard it is to pick up and learn a character, to how easy/hard it is to get gud and master the character. Either way thank you for your inputs! I've updated the list accordingly.

I've updated the OP with the most recent ratings. There's still a few character variations that need a rating.

Tomorrow (Saturday) I'll try to edit and flesh out the OP more. Then the day after that (Sunday) I'll see if any new ratings have been given, as well as possibly reach out to a few character mains and see what their opinion is on their character. Then probably clean of the ratings a bit. Anyways thanks everyone for your inputs. I can't to see how this looks once everything is more established.

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
If that's the case I'd say my answers are the same for picking them up and mastering them except

Kotal (Sun God) - Beginner/Easy

Kotal (Blood God) - Beginner/Hard

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I actually am quite funny and nice once you get to know me, probably not the same kind you're thinking though. At any rate, look at this way if you read the first original poster I'm pretty sure he states and welcomes all opinions welcome and to be civil. This is one reason why I hardly post on here anymore, aside from the same one person stalking me on here I run into new elitists and bandwangoners who go by their favorite pro players opinion as fact for said character while dismissing everyone else who disagrees with them. I don't believe in that philosophy, I prefer to examine something myself and form my own opinion. If you agree, great if not well nothing I can do it's your right. Cheers.
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS POST??? It's not even close to the topic. GET THE FUCK OUT.

@Cashual:
I think you're the one an egg or two short there kid, and really making new accounts because i've blocked your other names? So sad....I seem to recall you addressing me before in a topic for no reason.

You're obviously one of those stalkers, a troll or someone in here previously blocked which is what I will do to you now since your posts has zero contribution to this topic.

I'm not ruining anything it's my opinion, if you don't like it please block me. I'm no more dense than you are and those who have issues with me, for the record I don't give a shit what posts like this think. If the mods felt that way someone would step in, otherwise I'm as entitled as you are. Misplaced loyalty are you on drugs? lol No it's logical opinion based off my experience. You're obviously another troll hiding under a new account or something. You have nothing credible nor authority or anything worth reading so kindly get lost.

I think you should just ignore me since clearly my line of thinking is too deep for your mind to handle. Or better yet I'll ignore you, have fun trolling now.

Because I personally don't care for it and would most likely be wasting my time, and to be honest I don't have that much time to waste. To be honest, I think articles like that are just front paged due to slower actual news updates ie Injustice 2 news, MK changes etc

Well, trolls do typically amuse me as well. No worries, not talking about you.

That video was just to prove a small point regarding one reason why I feel Cyrax is easier to play due to higher damage(it's not exactly a combo that would take weeks and months assuming the player has a decent skill level), I'm sure there's more damaging combos and less both more/less practical. Depends on what you're discussing as to how relevant, for easier higher combo damage as apart of who's easier/harder obviously Cyrax is easier. For basics of picking up said characters maybe Sektor is easier. But since we've been through that already, I'll just respectfully disagree with you there. To me I'm thinking of combo damage, set ups, zoning, footsies, rushdown, and special moves playing a role as well as execution when I think "how hard/easy is this character to play" Maybe others are just limiting to certain aspects, I don't know what you and Crazy are thinking but that's my thought process. I try to consider everything.

I would have to disagree, if we're breaking down characters why are we limiting certain things then? The OP doesn't say anything about "don't talk damage, don't talk moves, this that etc" pretty sure he just states if you feel differently have different opinions to be nice. Ok well that is your opinion and you're entitled, I happen to disagree.
I'm sorry it took this long.

I want to believe you are trolling, but in reality, I just think your mentally handicapped. Try reading what EVERYONE ELSE IS TELLING YOU, you great yokeling idgit, before insulting anyone elses reading comprehension. It's super hard. I am aware, but please, for all of us, give it a go.

Others are being nice, but screw that. You are literally staring well written and explained opinions in the face that are backed up by reasonable facts and information and you're just completely ignoring everything that's being said so you can keep arguing this moronic point you have decided to stand behind.

You are the gift that keeps on giving though, I'll give you that much.

I super like how you said I must not know who you are.. welp, you are super super correct, I have NO IDEA who you are, and unless i miss my guess, no one else does either. But I bet.. i just BET that wheb you typed that line and hit the period you pulled back from your desk and made some thuggery hand motion and internally congratulated yourself on how forum-thug and impressively dominant you just were..l like I said. You are a gift that keeps giving. Like an onion, eaxh acrid, year inducing layer after another filled with more absurdity than the last. at some point I think you even called me 'kid'. Itsba testament to how much you've said I find beautifully ridiculous that I can't even remember if you personally insulted me or not.

I'll tell you what though, in have to go to Walmart here in a few to get some cardio and shit, while I'm there I'll pick up a day planner and a pencil just so I can schedule a little to give one fifth of a shit about you or your online abilities and how that is somehow relevant to this argument. I'm thinking.. Dec 11th or 12th, from, say, 10:00am to 10:02am of the same day.

But no, please keep going. And also please tell us how your opinions are correct because of your skill and experience, but the opinions of others like SonicFox and Cossner and such, who are more skillfull and more experienced, somehow arent?

God you're like a walking forum meme, right down to your by the book come-back posts. It's nice that you've played since day 1, so have I. And I'll just wedge this in here real quick then go eat dinner with my GF before I head to walmart for that day planner - you yourself said zoning was weak because anyone in the game can get right next to you... When a) zoning isn't weak AT ALL and b) OF COURSE THEY CAN (even though a ton of characters really can't) that's why most good zoners that I'm aware of have options to deal.

I bet you play SFV and ask for Chun Li buffs don't you?
STOP TROLLING. You're all ruining a great thread...

You sound like such a tool riding the "hey let's hate on this MKF guy" bandwagon yet knowing nothing of the situation nor respecting another person's opinion different than your own.

Ok, lol this is too good now, please quote me when I said Sonic and Cossner's opinions are as you say "meanlingless and lesser than mine or anyone elses or that I'm or anyone else are more skillful"? I never said this, Wow, delusional much? I said I don't form my opinions based off what pro players think or believe because pro player insert here says that it's automatically a fact, I can think for myself thanks. But hey if it's easier for you to be a tool, by all means. You're probably one of those people who believes shit regarding politics from the mainstream media, so easily influenced.

Hey some of us prefer to think for ourselves though, thanks. The fact that you even bring up the term "meme" proves how much of a puppet you are to the internet trend. Actually, yes in MKX zoning overall is weak compared to other fighters and previous MK's this is a fact. If you actually think zoning is as viable as rushdown, 50/50 game you sir are blind. Did I say zoning was totally gone and complete shit? No, but it leaves more to be desired and I'm quite certain majority of other zoning players such as myself would agree.

Well if that's some kind of potshot, get on xbox sometime and I'll show you just how much of a good/bad zoner I am ;) when you're not doing "cardio with your GF" that is.

You sound like you're the expert on being "mentally handicapped" or "trolling". Oh please, you're already boring me with this "intellectual tough guy" rhetoric. I DID read how about you read what i'm saying Mr. Arrogant. For one, no so you're wrong right off the bat as I don't even play SF anymore. I got turned off once Capcom screwed over their fanbase putting out an incomplete game, and was already annoyed from previous shit they've done. Haven't played the game since launch, so no not only do I not ask for anything I don't care all together. I care about MK X's life and I care about Injustice 2. Good job on making more false assumptions about me though, it's cute.

I don't know what you're ranting about with this "internet thug" nonsense but I don't care lol No, I don't think myself anything other than just another user expressing just my own opinion much as you or anyone else to post based off my experience, if you don't like it well too bad. lol See, I'll tell you something right now about me. I'll always offer to respectfully disagree unless someone is a flat out asshat and lowballing me then the gloves come off and quite frankly I don't really care if someone thinks "oh I'm crazy, nuts stupid blah, blah" for having a difference in opinion, that's the problem with this country now days and personally it's irritating. I have no problem putting someone in their place if they ask for it, however on the other hand you could learn from Crazy and I, learn to be respectful? I was rude to you because you were extremely RUDE to me with your prior post and then some. Maybe you're used to manhandling, lowballing other people daily without resistance but unfortunately for you, you know nothing about me.

You can dish it out but can't take a lick that's your problem, otherwise please ignore me. What I meant by that statement btw is A. I've been apart of the general MKC for YEARS B. been playing MK as long as the first game including the shittier eras of MK, not just MK X C. While I'm not a tourney player, I have played in a few over the years here, there nothing crazy and loads and hours of experience online as in leaderboard worthy at least. I did win one MK 9 mid tier tourney on here hosted by zigzag few years back, which was fun but point is I'm an experienced player, a contributer when I can and older original TYM member when it first started. Now I'm sure you think I'm just another noob who loves Sektor so much because of my avatar, and oh some disagree with me so I'm automatically wrong but fact of the matter is my opinion is as important, relevant as anyone else here. I don't care if you agree/disagree, but as long as you respect it and others different from you own then we're fine. But if you come at me at me with this thug like mentality or cocky Tom Felton/Julian (Flash) bs, I have no hesitations putting that person in their place. If I find it's a problem, simple I block you/ignore. Your choice really.

I assure you nothing is wrong with my reading comprehension. I recall English was one of my top subjects and let's put it this way I read what's worth reading. Think about that. You insult me, mock mine or anyone else's opinion consider the same respect in return. Have fun with your work out, maybe you'll feel more relieved once you work out all of your tension. ;)
How do you have the time to write all of this bullshit, but NEVER attend a tournament? Rhetorical question.

That's fine dude, I have no issue agreeing to disagree bro. To be honest, I'm tired of this thread with trolls giving me a hard time over a difference in opinion. It's why I rarely post. But I have no issue with you.
You know... it's because I don't have the time I used to to patrol the forums, so when I see shit like this... I find myself being abrasive. I don't care if I have to ban someone to make a point. MKF, as much as you want to show off the fact that you're an original TYM member, I certainly would expect more from you... meaning less. You're feeding into arguments. Starting arguments over nothing and you don't stop... you just keep going, which in the end RUINS a thread.

You need to learn to respect others. If you did, you wouldn't keep blathering, meaning the last two full paragraphs above on and ruining discussion.

Thread needs to get back on track NOW.

Last edited:

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS POST??? It's not even close to the topic. GET THE FUCK OUT.

How do you have the time to write all of this bullshit, but NEVER attend a tournament? Rhetorical question.

You know... it's because I don't have the time I used to to patrol the forums, so when I see shit like this... I find myself being abrasive. I don't care if I have to ban someone to make a point. MKF, as much as you want to show off the fact that you're an original TYM member, I certainly would expect more from you... meaning less. You're feeding into arguments. Starting arguments over nothing and you don't stop... you just keep going, which in the end RUINS a thread.

You need to learn to respect others. If you did, you wouldn't keep blathering, meaning the last two full paragraphs above on and ruining discussion.

STORMS is actually the best.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.

Ok fair enough. I got caught up in the absurdity and just ran with it. Which normally I'd defend but this isna potentially useful and informative thread, so I shouldn't have peppered it with my assholisms .

I'm on mobile atm, but when I get home on my actual comp I'll go back and remove my comments so as not to derail or chase off any readers legit looking for information.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I've found Takeda SR and Lasher to be pretty easy from an execution standpoint. They have a nice mix of sort of easy BnBs that you can optimize with harder versions as you progress and get better.

The game plan they employ is pretty straight forward as well. They can be super unsafe to just mash stuff out though, making confirms and the usual stuff very important. The difficulty in playing them comes in understanding your spacing and really knowing when you can push buttons and what those buttons are. B21 is amazing, but use it at the wrong time vs players who know the deal and you will punched in the face. With a foot. Wrapped in a fist, that's covered in a 30+% BnB.