What's new

MKT (PSX) Tier List Discussion

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The only thing that hurts Shang in this situation is, he has to ensure that all 3 will hit via placement. However, if in UMK3 only two hit and you morph, you sometimes set yourself up to be countered regardless. In a way, it's a better thing to have it limited if you think about it. Aside from that, there's extra broken characters for him to morph into if he does.

RoGE

Noob
OK I will agree about Shang in the N64 (sort of..) but in this one its pretty different, since he can change into a Godtier boss which is 10 times worst than Noob.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
OK I will agree about Shang in the N64 (sort of..) but in this one its pretty different, since he can change into a Godtier boss which is 10 times worst than Noob.
Bosses are not factored in.

dubson

Noob
Iori,

What you must understand is when figuring Shang Tsung's place on a tier list, you dont count in who he can morph into.

You do it based strictly on him in his normal form, as if he could not morph.

Because its grading Shang Tsung's abilities as a character, not the abilities of the characters he can morph into.

RoGE

Noob
Iori,

What you must understand is when figuring Shang Tsung's place on a tier list, you dont count in who he can morph into.

Because its grading Shang Tsung's abilities as a character, not the abilities of the characters he can morph into.
I think the Tier list should count his morphs, even if they are temporary they still help Shang greatly because of his ability to turn into a God-tier compared to UMK3 where he can only turn into a high tier.

I don't get it, why doesn't the tier list count the characters shang morph into?

EDIT- Now that I think about it, I think I sort of get how it works, when shang morphs, he becomes that character temporary, which means he switches tiers with them, but when he is Shang again, he becomes that tier again, I think I answered my own question, sorry about that guys.

dubson

Noob
The concept is not changed from UMK3 to MKT, nor will it in any other game he is in. High Tier or God Tier, he can morph into the best characters in each game.

When he turns into those characters, he is no longer Shang Tsung.

Shang Tsung is a character by himself. You have the option of playing an entire match without morphing.

It's grading Shang Tsung's abilities as a character, not the abilities of the characters he can morph into.
That's just how it is.

Iori,

Wrong.

His ability to morph has alot to do with his placement. It's counted as a special ability no different than Kabal's Spin. yes you can play the entire game without ever using his morphs, but you can also play 98% of the game as another character if you wish.

You can't just ignore that ability and pretend it doesn't exist at all or doesn't affect his tier list placement. It does.

Grading Shang WITH morphs is near impossible.

Every mid-screen GE already can be an infinite, but with morphs EVERY GE can be a fairly easy, consistent infinite with say.. Kung Laos spin, Strykers gun.

Every time you freeze someone right before he morphs back, that is an infinite.

Shang would be much higher, with limitless infs if you considered everything.
Simply playing as Sub, then stalling after the player is frozen leaves quite a bit of time allow a morph back a lot of the time, and all it takes is a jk, freeze or a aaHp freeze and they are fucked.

There would be no reason to play as U sub if you think about it. Why settle for 33% combos, when you could have an inf or 50% combo with almost every freeze.

Shang is a complete bastard in MK2 and UMK3. If you want to count his morph possibilities you will have to get a calculator to figure out where he is ranked.

It is MKT though, so whatever. lol.

I didn't mean to grade him based on all the of people he can morph into, but just on the fact he can morph period. It's a special ability much like Jade's PP or Sektor's Smart missle. An ability, and it works well for it's purpose.

dubson

Noob
Bosses are banned from tournament play, so it doesnt matter anymore.

I did not know bosses were banned, and if they werent banned, he would be top tier.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
If the bosses are banned from competitive play then Shang cannot morph into bosses. If Noob is specified as a ban for a competitive MKT tournament (he isn't always but usually) then you can't morph into Noob either, or be Chameleon. Also, morphing in general in MKT is a grey area because out of everyone I've played in the game, most people refer limited morphs which is another factor in itself, however I don't think it was ever standardized whether you could or couldn't use all morphs.

Morphs are always factored into Shang's rank, which is part of the reason why he isn't last, as is his GE. Being a character for 6 seconds with the mix vulnerabilities of Shang isn't the same as being that character for the whole round.

RoGE

Noob
Morphs are always factored into Shang's rank, which is part of the reason why he isn't last, as is his GE. Being a character for 6 seconds with the mix vulnerabilities of Shang isn't the same as being that character for the whole round.
Oh ok, thanks for that, I was getting confused but you pretty much just answered all my questions with that post.

yathva

Noob
has anyone got any detailed info/guidance about raiden (mk2 sprite version)? Any real experience in serious comp with him? He seems to have a lot of weaknesses and is just generally unreliable, and yet he is ranked above some people that he can barely hang with. I mean, people mention his combos, but the truth is that hittting them is actually quite hard and there are many characters he has to modify/compensate for less damage on. Both his starters are high(no proper knee!) and have a short reach which means they whiff off a jp starter on quite a few characters, which brings me to johnny - raiden can't handle him, and he is 2nd to last! Cant get a jp starter, can barely juggle him, move priority heavily favours john. It seems like too many microscopic yet very important situations can get raiden killed, he can get either snuffed or punished too much, and the strats he does have are unreliable compared to other cast members

DreemerNJ, have you played MKT on an actual Saturn? I've played the Saturn port before and I didn't see any differences from the PSX port.

dreemernj

Ambassador
DreemerNJ, have you played MKT on an actual Saturn? I've played the Saturn port before and I didn't see any differences from the PSX port.
Yes. And it isn't really different from the PSX port. It's just that the one time I played in person and all the copies I found for emu are the same as one of the earlier PSX ports. I never saw a copy that was the same as the greatest hits/final version of it. It might exist, but I haven't found it or heard of anybody else finding it.

You can find a copy of the Saturn port on Ebay but it's pretty rare. The Saturn port basically plays the same as the second revision on PSX version I believe. I think that there were two revisions made for the N64 version too but probably didn't have much difference.

dreemernj

Ambassador
You can find a copy of the Saturn port on Ebay but it's pretty rare. The Saturn port basically plays the same as the second revision on PSX version I believe. I think that there were two revisions made for the N64 version too but probably didn't have much difference.
Yeah those versions undoubtably the same as the ones I've tried. Like I said, not the same as the final revision of PSX.

I didn't notice any difference between the two N64 versions but I haven't tried them too much. I wouldn't even notice the differences if they were there, lol.

yathva

Noob
I read somewhere that the difference between the two n64 versions is the pit glitch, in rev 1.0 you can move around straight after the uppercut and do all sorts of dumb crap like after spearing them out of the air, throw them and theyll apear and fall off, and you can morph to someone with shang and do it and when he morphs back he appears at the bottom of the pit; but in the next release, it is gone

ded

Elder God
the most perfect mkt version is for pc win, then its the dos and psx greatest hits and saturn due their loading times, especialy with shang tsung when you morph (there is a infinite if you disable the morphs)

there are two mkt n64 versions, the U is the one that is used mostly in combo vids and the E which is slower and the hits juggle the opponents higher (you can see that in mkt infinito with kano's mid-screen relauncher - its done with E version, compare the speed).