What's new

MK2 Tier List 2020?

ded

Elder God
I looked at the description and now I see that it was indeed an old session. Didn't notice it at first, I only looked at the date of the video.

But I did manage to find another set. It was a FT3 Money Match, Reptile Vs. Mileena from July of last year, and the Reptile player took it 3-0. This time I did double-check to make sure it is indeed recent. @ded you would probably wanna take a look at this

To be honest, I just think the Reptile player is a lot better than the Mileena one in this video...

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
To be honest, I just think the Reptile player is a lot better than the Mileena one in this video...
Well from the looks of it Reptile is still doesn't seems weak at all. Again not top 5 or anything, but also not at the bottom either.

Roy Arkon

There was a debate who the worst characters is between Reptile and Baraka:
https://testyourmight.com/threads/mkii-tier-list-discussion.9855/
Well that thread is from 2009, which is half the reason I've made this thread, to see if there is any up-to-date info on the tier list.

But even if Reptile is indeed low in the tier, does that mean he isn't viable? MK2 is obviously a very old game, so balance wasn't as strong as it is in games of today such as MK11. But from what I've seen in this thread too, and from other places as well, Reptile can be viable, just harder to master in comparison to other characters. Is this true?

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
a silly question , what game Reptile is good or top tier ? only game that Reptile is good is MKX and in some matchs MK9 , why that Lizzardphobia ? hahaha

Roy Arkon

a silly question , what game Reptile is good or top tier ? only game that Reptile is good is MKX and in some matchs MK9 , why that Lizzardphobia ? hahaha
That's the thing, Reptile is great in every game he is in:
Reptile is top 6 in UMK3, top 10 in MK Trilogy, top 3 in both MK4 and MKDA, right under the top 10 in MK Gold, and right under the top 10 in MK9. And yes, in MKX, he is indeed among the top 10 as well.

The only game that Reptile isn't as high is MK Armageddon in which he is only mid-tier, and even then he can still be viable if you play him right. A lot of people claim that Reptile is bottom tier in MK2, but from everything I've seen about him, I've really wanted to check the current status of MK2 in general, because it seems that Reptile is nowhere near as weak as people claimed, as it seems. And hey, maybe get some info the rest of the cast of MK2 as well.

I've come to the conclusion that Reptile indeed mid-tier MK2. A character that needs more work then others, yes, but if played right, he can beat everyone on the roster.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The old UMK3 tier list still stands, Biggs just did a different type of tier list as there are 2 for MK9 as well both being quite different. It's not really an update, it's just produced through a different method. Tier lists based on Match-up charts can be pretty inaccurate because some characters dominate others making their placement higher in points
The “old UMK3 tier list” definitely doesn’t still stand. It is outdated. A lot of new strategies have been put into play that have changed the opinions on a lot of placings. That said, there will never be a 100% consensus tier list really in any game, since tier lists are largely subjective.

Biggs

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
TBH I don't know of many regions that still actively play MK2. The US scene for has been dead for a while. Mortal Jason was the best player NA. I've heard KanoMK2 is the best in SA

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
That's the thing, Reptile is great in every game he is in:
Reptile is top 6 in UMK3, top 10 in MK Trilogy, top 3 in both MK4 and MKDA, right under the top 10 in MK Gold, and right under the top 10 in MK9. And yes, in MKX, he is indeed among the top 10 as well.

The only game that Reptile isn't as high is MK Armageddon in which he is only mid-tier, and even then he can still be viable if you play him right. A lot of people claim that Reptile is bottom tier in MK2, but from everything I've seen about him, I've really wanted to check the current status of MK2 in general, because it seems that Reptile is nowhere near as weak as people claimed, as it seems. And hey, maybe get some info the rest of the cast of MK2 as well.

I've come to the conclusion that Reptile indeed mid-tier MK2. A character that needs more work then others, yes, but if played right, he can beat everyone on the roster.
HISS to the King baby \o nice word m8

Roy Arkon

Games he was top: UMK3, MK4, MKDA
Games he was mid tier: MKA, MK9, MKX
Games he was bottom tier: MK2
Being right under the top 10 in MK9 and at the top 10 in MKX that's not mid-tier at all. Also in MK2, now that everything is clear, he is mid-tier in MK2, just like in MKA.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Being right under the top 10 in MK9 and at the top 10 in MKX that's not mid-tier at all. Also in MK2, now that everything is clear, he is mid-tier in MK2, just like in MKA.
He was A+ in MK9 along side Jax, Skarlett, Kitana, Smoke, Cage but some people would argue that placement... I believe the debate was centered around whether Reptile, Kitana or Skarlett had more bad match ups and i remember people saying Reptile was the most underrated character in the game

Roy Arkon

He was A+ in MK9 along side Jax, Skarlett, Kitana, Smoke, Cage but some people would argue that placement... I believe the debate was centered around whether Reptile, Kitana or Skarlett had more bad match ups and i remember people saying Reptile was the most underrated character in the game
So if that's the case, with Reptile being A+, that means Reptile actually was in the top 10 of MK9. All of the other characters you've mentioned were super strong too, with Cage in particular being among the top 5 alongside Kabal and Kenshi, IIRC, and those were the top 2 strongest characters in the game.

Last edited:

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
So if that's the case, with Reptile being A+, that means Reptile actually was in the top 10 of MK9. All of the other characters you've mentioned were super strong too, with Cage in particular being among the top 5 alongside Kabal and Kenshi, IIRC, and those were the top 2 strongest characters in the game.
S+ Kabal
S Kenshi, Cyrax
S- Lao, Sonya, Freddy
A+ Cage, Smoke, Jax, Kitana, Skarlet, Reptile
A Kang, Raiden
A- Sektor, Rain, Ermac, Shang
B+ Sub, Mileena
B Scorpion, Sindel, Quan, Nightwolf, Noob
B- Jade, Cyber-Sub
C+ Baraka, Stryker
C Sheeva
C- Kano

If you are going by MU points he's much lower

Roy Arkon

S+ Kabal
S Kenshi, Cyrax
S- Lao, Sonya, Freddy
A+ Cage, Smoke, Jax, Kitana, Skarlet, Reptile
A Kang, Raiden
A- Sektor, Rain, Ermac, Shang
B+ Sub, Mileena
B Scorpion, Sindel, Quan, Nightwolf, Noob
B- Jade, Cyber-Sub
C+ Baraka, Stryker
C Sheeva
C- Kano

If you are going by MU points he's much lower
I see, so it basically means that Reptile was indeed right under the top 10, if we are going in order of that tier list, as Reptile is at No. 12 here.

ded

Elder God
Reptile might not be worst in MKII, but he is definitely not mid-tier. The game has 12 characters, 5 of which are set in stone. I don't see how Reptile could be better than Raiden, Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Shang Tsung.

As for UMK3, there are few characters, that could be moved 1-2 spots higher and/or lower, but that's it. I can give an example of Kano, who is absolutely ridiculous character. Maybe not top 4 already, but top 6-7 for sure. Yet, people put him in insane spots, just because he cannot be played effectively online and they do not use him. Things go beyond crazy, where i even saw Sheeva in mid-tier lists.

Of course, everyone is free to give their opinion. The above is mine.

Last edited:

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
The “old UMK3 tier list” definitely doesn’t still stand. It is outdated. A lot of new strategies have been put into play that have changed the opinions on a lot of placings. That said, there will never be a 100% consensus tier list really in any game, since tier lists are largely subjective.
I have the og one from Shock and then I have this other one that was remade by you guys about 8-9 years ago based on Glitch-jabs and which characters it makes more formidable enough to move up the list. Do you have that one? Do you still think it's due for an update ?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I have the og one from Shock and then I have this other one that was remade by you guys about 8-9 years ago based on Glitch-jabs and which characters it makes more formidable enough to move up the list. Do you have that one? Do you still think it's due for an update ?
I made a new one recently.

I can make a new UMK3 2020 tier list discussion thread. But one is made almost once a year at this point. So probably won’t make a thread for it now that I think about it, lmao.

Roy Arkon

Reptile might not be worst in MKII, but he is definitely not mid-tier. The game has 12 characters, 5 of which are set in stone. I don't see how Reptile could be better than Raiden, Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Shang Tsung.
Can you please elaborate more about it? Are the tools of those other characters are that better in comparison to Reptile's? Or it's Reptile's gameplan?

MKK hanzo

@MKK hanzo is crazy man. However, from all Mileena's higher spot in tier list defenders, he is the only one I saw punish blocked kicks and sweeps with Roll in vs matches.

@Roy Arkon can you show a footage of that? It might be just a counter pick or unequal player skills. Scorpion is considered mid-low in MKII (around 8-9 spot probably), but he beats Mileena 8:2/7:3 tho.

@Konqrr and @Sushi and @mk2prince might give more accurate opinion on the whole tier list.
You know you love my Mileena

Reactions: ded