What's new

MK2 Tier List 2020?

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
I am just curious. Is there any up-to-date Tier List for MK2?
I found this the old fashioned way....

By LOOKING. It was only stickied

Anarchist_Gib

Shao Kahn main, please your send prayers!
I found this the old fashioned way....

By LOOKING. It was only stickied

To be fair, he asked for updated info and the latest replies from that thread are from 2014.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Biggs did a UMK3 tier list back in October of last year and he made a thread for it.

https://testyourmight.com/threads/2019-umk3-tier-list-discussion.72066/

So based, I wanted to ask if there is such a thing for MK2, since the tier list that you brought up (that I am aware of) might be outdated as well.
The old UMK3 tier list still stands, Biggs just did a different type of tier list as there are 2 for MK9 as well both being quite different. It's not really an update, it's just produced through a different method. Tier lists based on Match-up charts can be pretty inaccurate because some characters dominate others making their placement higher in points

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
The old UMK3 tier list still stands, Biggs just did a different type of tier list as there are 2 for MK9 as well both being quite different. It's not really an update, it's just produced through a different method. Tier lists based on Match-up charts can be pretty inaccurate because some characters dominate others making their placement higher in points
But Biggs also made his list not just because of the inaccuracy from MU-based tier lists, but also because that, according to him at least, some of the characters that were listed high in the Ultimate MK tier list are in a different place today in comparison to what it was back then (like how Mileena is a lot higher, according to him at least), hence me asking if there is an up-to-date MK2 tier list. If there is no such thing then fine, I was only asking.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
But Biggs also made his list not just because of the inaccuracy from MU-based tier lists, but also because that, according to him at least, some of the characters that were listed high in the Ultimate MK tier list are in a different place today in comparison to what it was back then (like how Mileena is a lot higher, according to him at least), hence me asking if there is an up-to-date MK2 tier list. If there is no such thing then fine, I was only asking.
I think it was moreso people coming to terms with it... I've stated nearly 10 years ago Mileena should be higher on the tier list and while others deserve their placement on the list like Scorp, Jade, Kitana it still always feels like they're somehow underrated

Roy Arkon

Random Select
Thanks, I couldn't have find them one I've first looked for them.

I think it was moreso people coming to terms with it... I've stated nearly 10 years ago Mileena should be higher on the tier list and while others deserve their placement on the list like Scorp, Jade, Kitana it still always feels like they're somehow underrated
I was just using Mileena as an example to clear what I was saying, that's all.

ded

Elder God
People put Mileena in UMK3 higher only because of net play. The game is really, really different when played online. On high level, it's a frame based input game, that suffers enormously with everything above 5ms - literally. Same goes with other frame-based characters imo - like Lao, Reptile, etc. While characters, who do not require such precise timing to be played effectively, like Kitana and Ermac, are considered better.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
People put Mileena in UMK3 higher only because of net play. The game is really, really different when played online. On high level, it's a frame based input game, that suffers enormously with everything above 5ms - literally. Same goes with other frame-based characters imo - like Lao, Reptile, etc. While characters, who do not require such precise timing to be played effectively, like Kitana and Ermac, are considered better.
Mind blown.... I don't even think i can begin addressing this yet... You're a Jedi Master who trains Jedi Masters but we have a lot to talk about

I'm interested in that one too. Mileena was considered the best for years but at some point around 2013(?) or so Jax and Liu Kang moved up to 1st and 2nd, whilst she fallen to 3rd.

What's the current opinions of top players? Is mortal jason still around?

Roy Arkon

I knew about the net-play thing but I didn't know the reason why it's a big difference (regarding UMK3 being a frame based input game). Thanks for the explanation dude :)

ded

Elder God
I never considered myself among the best MKII players, but I played the game at really good high-level until 2008 or so. For me, Jax was always N1 (HK - Ground Pound - Repeat) and N2 spot was fight between Mileena and Liu Kang. Mileena can literally be almost unreachable because of the Sai Throw spam and somehow Liu with his instant AFB (it was a newly discovered around same time, that helped him in the Tier List).

I know some pros from back then, improved Kung Lao and Kitana as well and that's pretty much the top 5. I don't think it was ever changed.

Roy Arkon

I never considered myself among the best MKII players, but I played the game at really good high-level until 2008 or so. For me, Jax was always N1 (HK - Ground Pound - Repeat) and N2 spot was fight between Mileena and Liu Kang. Mileena can literally be almost unreachable because of the Sai Throw spam and somehow Liu with his instant AFB (it was a newly discovered around same time, that helped him in the Tier List).

I know some pros from back then, improved Kung Lao and Kitana as well and that's pretty much the top 5. I don't think it was ever changed.
And what about the other characters such as Reptile? I'm no expert on MK2 high level by any means, but the more I've seen in recent months, the more I've seen people actually pull off wins with Reptile, and against characters such as Kitana, so at least to me it seems that he's no longer as low as he was put in tiers back then.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Didn't @MKK hanzo have her placed higher in recent memory?

ded

Elder God
@MKK hanzo is crazy man. However, from all Mileena's higher spot in tier list defenders, he is the only one I saw punish blocked kicks and sweeps with Roll in vs matches.

@Roy Arkon can you show a footage of that? It might be just a counter pick or unequal player skills. Scorpion is considered mid-low in MKII (around 8-9 spot probably), but he beats Mileena 8:2/7:3 tho.

@Konqrr and @Sushi and @mk2prince might give more accurate opinion on the whole tier list.

Roy Arkon

@MKK hanzo is crazy man. However, from all Mileena's higher spot in tier list defenders, he is the only one I saw punish blocked kicks and sweeps with Roll in vs matches.

@Roy Arkon can you show a footage of that? It might be just a counter pick or unequal player skills. Scorpion is considered mid-low in MKII (around 8-9 spot probably), but he beats Mileena 8:2/7:3 tho.

@Konqrr and @Sushi and @mk2prince might give more accurate opinion on the whole tier list.
I tried to find the set that I mentioned of Reptile and Kitana but I couldn't find it anywhere. I remember it was an FT5 set, and IIRC Reptile was indeed a counter-pick against Kitana and he beat her twice, and the set took place around June of last year. I did however find some other matches along the way, of Reptile beating Mileena twice, both at 04:18 and 41:25 (and losing to her once), he also beat Johnny Cage once. That session is from March of last year, a bit over a year ago.

Mgo

Noob
@Roy Arkon can you show a footage of that? It might be just a counter pick or unequal player skills.
thats it. these were from a 2012 input, then i was starting playing more competitive, i mostly picked Mileena because im not very pro on that game and dont like to play with all characters on that game, and was playing vs Colman and Clan_SUD some long term pro players on this game who always do random select. Reptile is considered within the least powerful characters group in this game

Last edited:

Roy Arkon

thats it. these were from a 2012 input, then i was starting playing more competitive, i mostly picked Mileena because im not very pro on that game and dont like to play with all characters on that game, and was playing vs Colman and Clan_SUD some long term pro players on this game who always do random select. Reptile is considered within the least powerful characters group in this game
I looked at the description and now I see that it was indeed an old session. Didn't notice it at first, I only looked at the date of the video.

But I did manage to find another set. It was a FT3 Money Match, Reptile Vs. Mileena from July of last year, and the Reptile player took it 3-0. This time I did double-check to make sure it is indeed recent. @ded you would probably wanna take a look at this