What's new

MK12 Speculation

This is his character though, and why he's so "human." Kotal is a mess, and he causes most of his own problems or finds himself in situations beyond him and makes things worse.
After MKX I was in similar lines, until mk11. he is a simple goody goody. (I undersand this comes from mk 11 rewriting a lot of characters, especially the mkx newcomeres. But as this is the canon, no matter how stupid it is, i have to see this as a progress of his characte)

Oh, I'm not skewing anything, trust me, the game skews its own lore just fine by itself. The truth of the matter is that power levels at NRS story modes are, quite literally, bullshit. There is literally no logic in the victories other than 'the character you play as simply beats any opponent we throw at you'.

Because if a retired Jax can beat Sindel and Liu Kang the same day he decides to put on his old uniform, this means he's better than anyone they've bested, which means he's better than Smoke, Johnny (and by extension Shinnok), Kitana, Shao Kahn, Kung Lao, Jade, and almost the entire cast.

Which doesn't make sense. Jax was never portrayed to be THAT good of a fighter.

Whoever you play as beats everyone they fight against. It doesn't make sense lore-wise, and it never will.

That's why you see Kitana at one moment utterly whooping Shao's ass (because you play as her), and the next fight you play as Shao he wipes the floor with her (because you play as him). There's no logic, no respect to the game's own lore. I take it for what it is.

So when Kung Jin beats Kotal Kahn, it means nothing, it doesn't prove that Kung Jin 'should' win or shouldn't. He's just the guy you happen to control at this point, and if it was his first day on the job and the game would throw Onaga at full power at you, Kung Jin would've still won because you control him, not because he's the better fighter in-lore.
And this is the only truth.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I am not really sure why people get so butt hurt that a character has beaten another character in story mode in the past - it is not a work of non fiction.

This issue does not really need 2 page debate in a thread that has little do do with whether Kitana or Jin can beat <insert your favorite Khan>

A new thread maybe?

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
And yet when Johnny went to tell Jax that Jacqui had enlisted, Jax broke his jaw. Clearly, Jax does have a temper and Johnny is good at pressing those buttons.
You think Jax abused Jacqui? We’ve seen his irrational temper, and how badly he took the death of his wife. Not to mention his own trauma from losing his arms.

I hope other characters get the spot light in story mode. I hope they abandon the character chapter format entirely, but if they don't i hope villains get chapters too. So they can occasionally win and be actual threats. And not just completely bull dozed by quipping MK marvel avengers wannabe's.

But mostly, I just want different characters in the spotlight. Anybody other than special forces, kang, raiden, scorp, sub, Shang, quan, shao etc.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I don't mind character chapters per say, I like that you can try out characters, but they should go through the entire roster and not just the good guys.
My only problem is I'm slow to pick up characters, so I never know whether I should just stop the current chapter and hit up practice mode for 30 minutes, or just keep playing through the story and just mash out the wins.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I doubt we'd see that fight. If they ever had Jin fight Onaga and win, they'd power up Jin some what like they did with Jax/Jacui against Cetrion.
So when Jacqui wears the crown she's able to beat an Elder God, but when Shang Tsung has A) The Crown, B) Kronika's Power, C) Shao Kahn's Power, D) Sindel's Power, E) Nightwolf's Power, F) Raiden's Power and G) Fujin's Power, he's not capable of beating Liu Kang who only has ... F) Raiden's Power.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense lore-wise and logic-wise.

Ok. So the point about Kitana that shouldn't be able to beat Kahn is made
Shouldn't be able to, but she did and thus it's canonically possible. This was discussed further above.

he is a simple goody goody.
I disagree. Remember in Mortal Kombat 11 he was going to commit genocide. Again.

You think Jax abused Jacqui? We’ve seen his irrational temper, and how badly he took the death of his wife. Not to mention his own trauma from losing his arms.
Not physically, but the strain of having a father with mental health issues like that would absolutely affect her.

I don't mind character chapters per say, I like that you can try out characters, but they should go through the entire roster and not just the good guys.
Yeah, which is why I'm glad in "Aftermath' you got to play as confirmed bad guys. I hope that becomes the norm and not jsut a one-shot deal.

when in doubt, jump kick
And Uppercut.

So when Jacqui wears the crown she's able to beat an Elder God, but when Shang Tsung has A) The Crown, B) Kronika's Power, C) Shao Kahn's Power, D) Sindel's Power, E) Nightwolf's Power, F) Raiden's Power and G) Fujin's Power, he's not capable of beating Liu Kang who only has ... F) Raiden's Power.

He didn't have Raiden or Fujin's "power" as he didn't drain their souls, intending to feed on them for "eternity." Shang can also mimic other character's powers and abilities without stealing their soul, so the big thing here is Kronika's Crown.

You're also forgetting that Fire God Liu Kang also defeated Kronika before, when she had her Crown.

You're also making the assumption that Fire God Liu Kang wins the final fight with Shang, when we do not yet know the canonical ending.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
He didn't have Raiden or Fujin's "power" as he didn't drain their souls, intending to feed on them for "eternity." Shang can also mimic other character's powers and abilities without stealing their soul, so the big thing here is Kronika's Crown.

You're also forgetting that Fire God Liu Kang also defeated Kronika before, when she had her Crown.

You're also making the assumption that Fire God Liu Kang wins the final fight with Shang, when we do not yet know the canonical ending.
Kabal: Stealing my soul won't make you faster.
Shang Tsung: Actually, that is precisely how it works.

Shang Tsung drained Shao Kahn, Sindel, Nightwolf and Kronika dry. Plus, he had the crown. At this point his power is in bullshit level scale. If you want to claim he didn't drain all of Raiden's/Fujin power, fine, but he drained them to the point they couldn't move or speak. So I think he got quite a lot of their power.

If Liu Kang's ending is canon, his victory makes zero sense, power level wise.

All the more power to you, if you think it does, but it's quite obvious that when Boon is asked 'is The One Being stronger than Kronika'? and Boon basically answers with 'I don't have a fucking clue', it's clear that the MK creators do not respect lore and power levels and make shit up as they go.

If Liu Kang's ending is canon, his victory makes zero sense, power level wise.
If. Everyone thought that Fire God Liu Kang/Kitana ending was canon in Mortal Kombat 11 simply because it was the "best" one, yet this proved false.

Until we know which ending is canon in "Aftermath," this is all speculation.

Boon is asked 'is The One Being stronger than Kronika'? and Boon basically answers with 'I don't have a fucking clue', it's clear that the MK creators do not respect lore and power levels and make shit up as they go.
It could also mean it doesn't matter as they're never revisiting the One Being concept again. Which they shouldn't.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
If. Everyone thought that Fire God Liu Kang/Kitana ending was canon in Mortal Kombat 11 simply because it was the "best" one, yet this proved false.

Until we know which ending is canon in "Aftermath," this is all speculation.
IF it's canon. Does it make sense to you? Does it not make you tilt your head even a liiiitle bit when Liu Kang faces a Big Bad who is much stronger than the Big Bad who gave him a really hard time a few days ago and wins?

Does it make sense to you that Liu Kang is Liu Kang + X and is stronger than Shang Tsung x 4 + 2 + 6 + whateverthefuck?

Because that implies that Liu Kang on his own is stronger than a titan, an ancient spirit warrior, a god, a soul-absorbing mage, a titan, an outworld demigod conqueror and a witch queen COMBINED.

For me, that's a pill too tough to swallow.

IF it's canon. Does it make sense to you? Does it not make you tilt your head even a liiiitle bit when Liu Kang faces a Big Bad who is much stronger than the Big Bad who gave him a really hard time a few days ago and wins?
Keep in mind I never said I agree with all the fights and the outcomes that have happened over the course of the modern trilogy.

Having said that, I have certainly enjoyed it for what it is and the success it has brought to the franchise as a whole.

If it turns out to be canon, then it's canon, and we'll see how it goes together into what comes next and how it flows. Or how it doesn't.

Upsets do happen. People, sports teams, politicians, militaries, etc. that should win contests, engagements, campaigns, etc. do loose for any host of reasons. That is real-world reality.

Mortal Kombat isn't the real world, nor is it serious business. If Kitana tromps on Shao, that's unexpected but life, and gameplay, goes on. If Fire God Liu Kang defeats Shang Tsung, well, then he defeated Shang Tsung.

If it makes you so angry, then best to stop playing Story Mode or simply move on from the franchise altogether.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Keep in mind I never said I agree with all the fights and the outcomes that have happened over the course of the modern trilogy.

Having said that, I have certainly enjoyed it for what it is and the success it has brought to the franchise as a whole.

If it turns out to be canon, then it's canon, and we'll see how it goes together into what comes next and how it flows. Or how it doesn't.

Upsets do happen. People, sports teams, politicians, militaries, etc. that should win contests, engagements, campaigns, etc. do loose for any host of reasons. That is real-world reality.

Mortal Kombat isn't the real world, nor is it serious business. If Kitana tromps on Shao, that's unexpected but life, and gameplay, goes on. If Fire God Liu Kang defeats Shang Tsung, well, then he defeated Shang Tsung.

If it makes you so angry, then best to stop playing Story Mode or simply move on from the franchise altogether.
Oh, I never said I don't enjoy it - I love MK, and I love the story modes which gave a lot more personality to the characters. Top class stuff. Every NRS game for me has been better than the last.

I'm just saying what TFS Vegeta said: Power levels are bullshit.

Just because I don't suck off every aspect of the game doesn't mean I'm angry XD

Last edited:
The whole thing with Liu Kang and prominent protatonists like him is his spiritual training, conviction, the "chosen one" responsibility and all these tropes. The david vs goliath stories never have to do with raw "power levels" right?

Welcome to Mortal Kombat.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
It's like in Princess Bride when Cary Elwes beats Andre the Giant in a fight. No way that should ever have happened, Andre was 7'4" 520 Elwes was 6'00". I get that he had a smaller hurt box, but still.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
have nothing to add to the power level conversation besides "It's NOT THAT DEEP!"

But I will agree that I wish we'd play as more of the villains in these story modes. Getting to play as Sindel / Shao Kahn / Shang Tsung in Aftermath is dope as hell.

In MKX the only "villain" chapter is D'Vorah, and even then, you're still fighting bad guys because this was before it was revealed that she was evil lol.

It would've been dope to have chapters where we play as Noob, Geras, Skarlet, etc. Like Geras is supposed to be this unstoppable tank, and he feels like it when you play as him. But in the story mode he just gets mopped by Liu Kang/Kung Lao, Sonya, Raiden, Nightwolf, Shao Kahn/Sindel like holy shit my man could not catch a break. You're telling me this guy's been getting killed and coming back stronger since before The Great Kung Lao & he's still just getting bodied left and right?? Gimme a breeeaaaak.