What's new

MK12 Speculation

mattteo

Noob
It's like in Princess Bride when Cary Elwes beats Andre the Giant in a fight. No way that should ever have happened, Andre was 7'4" 520 Elwes was 6'00". I get that he had a smaller hurt box, but still.

Of all the possible examples...Princess Bride?

Aww, you're a softie....

mattteo

Noob
How would you arrange the top 10 in terms of power?

Kronika, Cetrion, Shinnok, Onaga, Raiden, Shao Kahn, Sindel, Liu Kang, Taven, Scorpion (not in feats per se, but he comes back every time you mop the floor with him or even kill him, like Wolverine)

Cetrion says at some point about the 'secret weapon' Shang and Fujin come up with, Sindel: "YOU were the one supposed to defeat me?" making me asume she's thought to have such great powers and sorcery that they think her capable to take on an Elder God. And she also bodied everyone in MK9 that Nightwolf could only take her out through a sacrifice. So even if she would be last in the Top10 list, I believe she makes the list.

I guess Geras would be there too, but he just seems to come back, kind of like Scorpion, not that he is a formidable warrior. And I think Scorpion has better fighting feats so barely makes the list agead of Geras. Probably Havik is the same too, as in coming back even though dismembered. And D'vorah.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
It's honestly not even about playing as the villains, since you didn't do that in Deception either yet many people like the story/character progression in that game. The issue is that in Story Mode, the entire cast has to be roped into one single story in order for the characters to have any relevance.

Historically, with little single player story content, the overall story as well as character's individual stories were told through arcade endings, and although that may seem like a dated way of doing things, it actually allowed for more freedom with storytelling than the rigid cinematic story mode. Characters were able to go on different journeys in the same game. Some would participate in the main overall conflict while others would group up for an arc elsewhere, and some would go off on solo adventures that had nothing to do with the main plot. As a result, you could tell bigger, more varied, and open-ended stories instead of a strict two hour movie.

Arcade endings still do exist, but their relevance has waned to essentially nothing since MK9. MK9 had a few decent ones that added to a character like Smoke's, Jade's, and JC's, but overall, most, if not all, were irrelevant when it came to bridging the gap between MK9 and MKX. MKX had some interesting ones like the big showdown with Erron Black and the Kombat Kids where Jax dies and with Dark Raiden invading Outworld, but again, none of that mattered in MK11. And finally, with MK11, they're just all nonsense. The Story Mode has really consolidated all of the story threads into one very limited vehicle, and I believe that's a big part of why the MK lore has got less and less interesting over the last decade.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
It's honestly not even about playing as the villains, since you didn't do that in Deception either yet many people like the story/character progression in that game. The issue is that in Story Mode, the entire cast has to be roped into one single story in order for the characters to have any relevance.

Historically, with little single player story content, the overall story as well as character's individual stories were told through arcade endings, and although that may seem like a dated way of doing things, it actually allowed for more freedom with storytelling than the rigid cinematic story mode. Characters were able to go on different journeys in the same game. Some would participate in the main overall conflict while others would group up for an arc elsewhere, and some would go off on solo adventures that had nothing to do with the main plot. As a result, you could tell bigger, more varied, and open-ended stories instead of a strict two hour movie.

Arcade endings still do exist, but their relevance has waned to essentially nothing since MK9. MK9 had a few decent ones that added to a character like Smoke's, Jade's, and JC's, but overall, most, if not all, were irrelevant when it came to bridging the gap between MK9 and MKX. MKX had some interesting ones like the big showdown with Erron Black and the Kombat Kids where Jax dies and with Dark Raiden invading Outworld, but again, none of that mattered in MK11. And finally, with MK11, they're just all nonsense. The Story Mode has really consolidated all of the story threads into one very limited vehicle, and I believe that's a big part of why the MK lore has got less and less interesting over the last decade.
The problem with the ladder endings - when compared to the Story Modes, is that they do not really uplift the character via characterization. All of Johnny Cage's endings do little when compared to the enormous screen presence and significance he has to the three Story Modes. And sure, jobbers like Baraka got a LOT more exposure and decency in MK11 when compared to MK9 or X, but for other characters like Reptile and Erron Black, they seriously need to do stuff which could aid their popularity and standing within the fandom. Reptile is used as a punchline by the new fandom of the NRS because they do not respect him. Because he hasn't done anything worthwhile.

Even killing mooks makes jobbers look better. Baraka killing off Kotal's men in the Kolosseum as if they were nothing, and seeing through Shang Tsung's deception and the alliance with Kitana were very good ways of making him look better than Kotal and Noob Saibot. So I think that giving jobbers cool things to do is better while not playing as them in Story Mode is the second best fate, compared to using them like Reptile in MKX.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I don’t understand why some people will insert themselves into a conversation and say something like “relax it’s not that deep” or any version of that. Just because someone is passionate or arguing for or against something, that doesn’t mean they’re “taking it too seriously” or whatever. If you don’t care about it, that’s totally fine, but obviously they do. Let people do their thing. As long as they aren’t hurting anyone, what’s it to you?

The problem with the ladder endings - when compared to the Story Modes, is that they do not really uplift the character via characterization. All of Johnny Cage's endings do little when compared to the enormous screen presence and significance he has to the three Story Modes. And sure, jobbers like Baraka got a LOT more exposure and decency in MK11 when compared to MK9 or X, but for other characters like Reptile and Erron Black, they seriously need to do stuff which could aid their popularity and standing within the fandom. Reptile is used as a punchline by the new fandom of the NRS because they do not respect him. Because he hasn't done anything worthwhile.

Even killing mooks makes jobbers look better. Baraka killing off Kotal's men in the Kolosseum as if they were nothing, and seeing through Shang Tsung's deception and the alliance with Kitana were very good ways of making him look better than Kotal and Noob Saibot. So I think that giving jobbers cool things to do is better while not playing as them in Story Mode is the second best fate, compared to using them like Reptile in MKX.
It's not all bad, Reptile still got to be the one that speaks out against Mileena and he gets a real name. You have to remember in MK9 he had no speaking lines and he was the very first character you beat in Story Mode (Baraka as the second). Gotta take what you can get so far.

But speaking of Baraka you may have a point in that regard because his story mode content is very good but his arcade ending is bog standard stuff. He gets the Hourglass and does about as well as you would expect from Baraka, "AND WE HAVE NOT RUN OUT OF MEAT SINCE!", Of course I like it but I'll admit it's not adding anything to him as a character the way Story Mode did.

But my whole problem with story mode across all the games... Treat your Outworld characters better please. I'm sick of the storywank for Edenians and Earthrealmers when Outworld is the coolest realm you've got. That's part of what makes the MKX comic so much fun is the Civil War between Kotal and Mileena.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I don’t understand why some people will insert themselves into a conversation and say something like “relax it’s not that deep” or any version of that. Just because someone is passionate or arguing for or against something, that doesn’t mean they’re “taking it too seriously” or whatever. If you don’t care about it, that’s totally fine, but obviously they do. Let people do their thing. As long as they aren’t hurting anyone, what’s it to you?
Yeah you right.

Didn't mean to insult anyone about power scalling. Defo ain't my cup of tea but people should have fun talking about it if it's their thing.

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
DoomSlayer Better use all guns (BFG, chainsaw , super shotgun , combat shotgun ,heavy assault rifle , chaingun ,plasma rifle,Balista,Unmaykr,Soul Cube,Grabber,Lightning Gun,the artifact,Doom Blade,The Sword Crucible,Shield Wall , Hologram,Flame belch)
better bet at least top 5 in top tier , Have skin for all his games , in First DLC pack early 2024.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
For that matter, I'm not actually even sure we have a confirmed release date for 2023. It's basically just an executive making a comment on an investor call, talking about an aggressive release schedule. Highly probably that we see MK12 in 2023, but not set in stone.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
For that matter, I'm not actually even sure we have a confirmed release date for 2023. It's basically just an executive making a comment on an investor call, talking about an aggressive release schedule. Highly probably that we see MK12 in 2023, but not set in stone.
Nah it's pretty clear that he said it will be released this year, I mean it could be early 2024 too, anything can happen and be pushed back, but he talked abut the Suicide Squad game and MK12 being released this year. And earnings call have accurate info as it's for investors.

Last edited:

Rice

SIRO FOR MK1
My prediction of events:

Suicide Squad could get delayed into 2024 and Mortal Kombat 12 gonna be WB big focus for late 2023 in October/November.

No Official MK12 announcement before the MK twitter account reached MK11. (Just posted about MK9)

The WB event on April 12th will NOT have MK12. Its an event with focus on Streaming (HBO Max).

Playstation Showcase that is heavily rumoured before E3 (May or start of June) gonna have the MK12 announcement or gameplay if already announced independent because WB partnered with Playstation for the promotion of Hogwarts Legacy and Suicide Squad.

Once we are in April the smell of the announcement is in the air. Exciting days ahead.

Correct, and release dates cane be pushed. That happens all the time.

For me, I'm hoping a late 2023 release at the earliest. I have too many games I'm clearing out of my backlog right now.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'm thinking it's 90% likely we get MK12 in Q4 of 2023, just pointing out that until it's actually announced, it's not 100% certain.

Just to quote the call: "...And there's lots more to come, including the highly anticipated Mortal Kombat 12 and Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League, games also set for release this year, with ambitious launch projections."

Certainly they're planning on a 2023 release date, but nothing set in stone. Next earnings call is probably late April, maybe an investor firm will follow up on MK12. I plan on listening in.

Last edited:

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I'm thinking it's 90% likely we get MK12 in Q4 of 2023, just pointing out that until it's actually announced, it's not 100% certain.

Just to quote the call: "...And there's lots more to come, including the highly anticipated Mortal Kombat 12 and Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League, games also set for release this year, with ambitious launch projections."

Certainly they're planning on a 2023 release date, but nothing set in stone. Next earnings call is probably late April, maybe an investor firm will follow up on MK12. I plan on listening in.
Oh yeah for sure dude, until we get an official release date nothing is set in stone.

Another pointer is do they mean calendar year or fiscal year, as those often do not align. i.e. My company's fiscal is Oct. 1st - Sep. 30th.

Being a shareholder call, they may have been talking fiscal.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Another pointer is do they mean calendar year or fiscal year, as those often do not align. i.e. My company's fiscal is Oct. 1st - Sep. 30th.

Being a shareholder call, they may have been talking fiscal.
I think their fiscal year runs Jan-Dec, since it was a Q4 call looking at an end date of 12/31/2022. But great point.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
I really hope MK12 can bring back the little details that used to be important parts of the Mortal Kombat "feel". Things like the announcer laughing or saying "Excellent" when you hit an uppercut, the characters screaming a lot more during combat or yelling gibberish as they do attacks, and obviously things like a Far East aesthetic instead of a modern military focus.

I know Ed Boon has said that when he saw Gears of War, he knew he wanted MK to look like that. I can't help but get the impression that the current vision for MK as a franchise just isn't what I want from it anymore. Everything that they're are focusing on now, is just the opposite of what I want. I just miss the original aesthetic, the music, the sound effects, the focus on additional creative solo modes, etc.

I'm willing to accept that I may just be a nostalgic boomer, but going back and playing my old favorites (Deception, MK9, Trilogy) makes me feel like I'm playing games from a different franchise entirely. The series wears the Mortal Kombat skin, but hasn't felt like Mortal Kombat for about a decade now.

The most likely release window for any major game title is in the run up to the holidays, so Q4 is almost always the safe money bet.

And that said, almost every release date is a moving target. It'll be Q4 until it's not, for whatever reasons (development being the main ones but maybe a competing launch they don't want to deal with). I'd say it's optimistic right now given we've seen absolutely 0 footage of the game and the whole "reveal" was awkward.

Still could happen, just wouldn't bet on it.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
I was fooling around with and AI text generator and asked it to make intro dialogue between Cassie Cage and Chameleon, and I must say I absolutely loved it:

"
Dialogue 1:
Cassie Cage: "Ooh, shape-shifting powers! Do you do parties, Chameleon?"
Chameleon: "I am not here to entertain you, Cassie Cage."
Cassie Cage: "Well, that's a shame. I could use a clown at my next birthday party."

Dialogue 2:
Chameleon: "I have the power to become any warrior in this realm. Including you, Cassie Cage."
Cassie Cage: "Oh, honey. You could never pull off my hairdo."
Chameleon: "Your hairdo is of no concern to me. Only your defeat."
Cassie Cage: "Oh, so you've already given up on the hairdo? Smart move."

Dialogue 3:
Cassie Cage: "I hope you have more than just your looks, Chameleon."
Chameleon: "I have many abilities beyond my appearance, Cassie Cage."
Cassie Cage: "Good, because I'd hate to defeat you and ruin such a pretty face."

Dialogue 4:
Chameleon: "You are nothing compared to the warriors I have studied, Cassie Cage."
Cassie Cage: "Hey, I may not be Liu Kang, but I know how to kick butt."
Chameleon: "We shall see who is the better warrior in battle."
Cassie Cage: "You're on, Shapey McShapeshift!"

Dialogue 5:
Cassie Cage: "You can mimic other warriors, Chameleon, but can you mimic my dance moves?"
Chameleon: "Your dance moves are of no concern to me."
Cassie Cage: "Well, I'll make sure to give you a private show after I defeat you."

With just some tweaks, NRS could be making lots of cool, quick-witted dialogue in like, seconds. Dunno, just thought that was neat and wanted to share here, I guess.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I was fooling around with and AI text generator and asked it to make intro dialogue between Cassie Cage and Chameleon, and I must say I absolutely loved it:

"
Dialogue 1:
Cassie Cage: "Ooh, shape-shifting powers! Do you do parties, Chameleon?"
Chameleon: "I am not here to entertain you, Cassie Cage."
Cassie Cage: "Well, that's a shame. I could use a clown at my next birthday party."

Dialogue 2:
Chameleon: "I have the power to become any warrior in this realm. Including you, Cassie Cage."
Cassie Cage: "Oh, honey. You could never pull off my hairdo."
Chameleon: "Your hairdo is of no concern to me. Only your defeat."
Cassie Cage: "Oh, so you've already given up on the hairdo? Smart move."

Dialogue 3:
Cassie Cage: "I hope you have more than just your looks, Chameleon."
Chameleon: "I have many abilities beyond my appearance, Cassie Cage."
Cassie Cage: "Good, because I'd hate to defeat you and ruin such a pretty face."

Dialogue 4:
Chameleon: "You are nothing compared to the warriors I have studied, Cassie Cage."
Cassie Cage: "Hey, I may not be Liu Kang, but I know how to kick butt."
Chameleon: "We shall see who is the better warrior in battle."
Cassie Cage: "You're on, Shapey McShapeshift!"

Dialogue 5:
Cassie Cage: "You can mimic other warriors, Chameleon, but can you mimic my dance moves?"
Chameleon: "Your dance moves are of no concern to me."
Cassie Cage: "Well, I'll make sure to give you a private show after I defeat you."

With just some tweaks, NRS could be making lots of cool, quick-witted dialogue in like, seconds. Dunno, just thought that was neat and wanted to share here, I guess.
BRO THAT'S HILARIOUS LMFAO how is it so accurate.

"Cassie Cage: "Well, I'll make sure to give you a private show after I defeat you.""

MA'AM LMFAO