What's new

MK11 SHANG TSUNG Discussion

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I'm digging all of these new B1D2(KB) combos, my go to outside of corner is doing dash D2 into 21~DB1, thanks for sharing @RAYBAANN! I also like to just do D2 into 4~Soul Steal for ease and for a good soul steal setup.

Last edited:

Marinjuana

So there's this interactable on Kronika's Keep that causes a time freeze, similar to Geras' move. Spellmaster in particular has really cool interactable combos.

From D2 KB, you can get your corner back and leave the opponent at +20, or go for a bit more damage. Goes nice with the armor breaking Soul Scatter making breakaway riskier.

D2(KB), 3~Int, JI2~D2, DF3 Amp, JI2~4~SSC~4 (412, doing S3U instead of the first 4 is slightly more optimal.)

And since Shang's F24 has him almost creep back, he can do it from out of the corner. He can take a micro-step afterwards and still be able to combo, so it could be useful after a D4. You could do a similar combo but here I'm using it to show off a Soul Jar healing setup.

F24~Int, DB2, D2, 214 (196, 70 healing)

DeftMonk

Noob
I noticed something in a match figured I would show you guys so you can think about it in case you run into any v3 fujin.... If you soul steal fujin in the corner, after a d3 you can jail into 42 which sets up an interesting option of either loop soul steal or if you read breakaway hit him with armor breaker. If you plan to do this sometime during the match I would favor throws in any kind of throw strike mix so it would be more likely to land the 42 after d3.
This obviously isnt optimal just showing you how you morph back into shang well before he comes down. You can almost react to it because if he breaks high up on the screen he falls really slowly.

DeftMonk

Noob
I just played a match vs kabal and noticed that if you do his armor breaker kb against him it does less damage than if you don't hold down the button for the KB....I understand why this is with how his damage is calculated during soul steal but still seems kinda silly. Anyone else notice this? Wondering if its a bug where the damage scaling isn't reset as it should be for the KB version of the armor break.

Marinjuana

Aww dude I didn't realize you could link B1 after F24~SSC in the midscreen, that's dope. Game changer for me, I thought you can only link S3 inconsistently like off jump ins.

But you don't actually have to hit down twice to cancel it! You just need to hit it once, you can even hold down after the startup. Took me months to realize that haha

RAYBAANN

Noob
Aww dude I didn't realize you could link B1 after F24~SSC in the midscreen, that's dope. Game changer for me, I thought you can only link S3 inconsistently like off jump ins.

But you don't actually have to hit down twice to cancel it! You just need to hit it once, you can even hold down after the startup. Took me months to realize that haha
That midscreen F24~SSC into B1 is nearly impossible online :(

Thanks for the tip man

RAYBAANN

Noob
OMG!!! Soul Chamber stage has this interactable, and I think there is nothing sexier than the combos you can make with it...

Take a look to Spellmaster Shang!!! :)

Last edited:

RAYBAANN

Noob
Scorpion is THE counter for Spellmaster :(

He can teleport between the first and the second hit of Crashing Flames on block, and between the second and third if we amp the move as well...

Marinjuana

Scorpion is THE counter for Spellmaster :(

He can teleport between the first and the second hit of Crashing Flames on block, and between the second and third if we amp the move as well...
I've always found Cetrion to be the worst for him personally, but yeah Scorpion doesn't seem very nice with easy mode punishes on Flames. But some characters can punish it with Flawless Block and there's some other good counters like Cassie V2's charge so it is a thing. At least Scorpion doesn't zone you out, but yeah he takes away a lot from Spellmaster. Can't use soul jar at all, can't charge up DF3, you have to be meticulous with Screaming Soul, etc. But you can just try to keep it simple, having more damage should help him a little bit