What's new

MK11 SHANG TSUNG Discussion

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Shang's d3 starts up in 7f and is -2 on block. Plus it has good range and, by the looks of it, it seems to have low profiling properties as well.
Well since he only gets 50% on KB during SoulSteal and loses his if its universal KB and gets punished fullscreen by parry when he uses B2112 he needs it.

Pokes should be:
6f (-5 ob)
7f (-4 ob)
8f (-3 ob)

LawAbidingCitizen

If the opponent Flawless Blocks his B3 xx DB1 on second ground skull he is -21 ob and full combo punished with anything that reaches that far.

LawAbidingCitizen

Im getting 21% off a S1 Anti Air Meterless. His D4 might be a good AA too
I'm getting around 25% using his 11 after and his 3U2 off s1 AA.
His D4 is a good disjointed hurtbox.

Low Profiling moves:
B3
D3
B3D4
S3 (steps back)
B3U434 (rolls back and low profiles)

Low crushing moves:
F4 (goes under highs +5 ob)
F3
B3U4(second hit low crushes)

D3 is Barakas range and jails into s1 and 2 and -2 ob making his next one 9f so Cassie and jacqui can't use their 9f mids to reversal.
His D4 is amazing 9f su and -6 ob.
His D1 is respectable

He has a tough time against close up chars with fast mids only having a 14f and 17f mid but he is good mid range and zoning but can't zone fullscreen(nothing reaches in Warlock var besides straight skull)

LawAbidingCitizen

Well shit. Shang's b3 is Godlike.

It looks so much like his d3 that b3u4 being a low crusher is almost insulting.
Its good online but offline its fuzzyable even when using B3U4/B3D4. The B3U4 can be jumped into full combo punish. It will be godlike online and his D3 is broke but he will not get away with it offline. Almost everything is gaped and more negative after raw Flawless Block.
He is strong but very honest. I'm happy with shang I just don't Like that he only gets half damage after soulsteal on KB's (but does get more damage after Amped soulsteal in combos) and if he uses D2 KB he loses his.
The B2112 can be parried full screen which is retarded.

Last edited:

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
He has a tough time against close up chars with fast mids only having a 14f and 17f mid but he is good mid range and zoning but can't zone fullscreen(nothing reaches in Warlock var besides straight skull)
Kabal is going to be a bad MU. Calling it now. His mids are faster, and have better range. Seems like he can outzone with air saws and the threat of nomad dash. None of Shang's pokes reach while he's dicking around with B1 bullshit.

I'm glad he's not S+ tier though...so that's nice.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Not a big combo character but is a great defensive character, zoner for sure. I love him, awesome keep away. Also, I'm sure dave noticed his move where he soul switches this move is so cheap because I've tested it and be jumping, blocking it's unblockable and while it does little more than chip damage it's free damage for those who like custom Shang Tsungs. The move sadly isn't in either of his tourney variations but is great for positioning.

Also, his one chain called burning vigor not only doesn't come out consistently but isn't worth the trouble. He also has another one where he kicks you up as an ender, also not worth it. But his other strings 112 and B1, D2 are amazing.

LawAbidingCitizen

Kabal is going to be a bad MU. Calling it now. His mids are faster, and have better range. Seems like he can outzone with air saws and the threat of nomad dash. None of Shang's pokes reach while he's dicking around with B1 bullshit.

I'm glad he's not S+ tier though...so that's nice.
I was thinking the same thing. Jacqui, Geras, Baraka, Scorpion and Kabal could be bad MUs but here the thing. With soul steal he gets more damage than them and access to all if their moves effectively turning a bad MU into a 5-5 if used right. But Shang will be the hardest character to master since you are up against players who know their character better than you but its definitely a unique advantage to use their tools against them.
I tested damage after soulsteal and a combo that normally does 32% does 39% from his soulsteal buff but he has to amp it To have enough time so he can't combo into enhanced soulsteal then get the big damage but he can do short soulsteal setups and then go into high damage combos from the buff.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
This character has the following mixup options... wtf:
Low-low
Low-overhead-into full combo
Mid-body drop
Mid-Low-frame trap (if you get hit by last hit you can do groundskull for full combo)
Mid-Low-Krushing Blow
Mid-Low-body drop
Mid-Low-safe skull
Mid-overhead (is a launching krushing blow)
High-Low-Low
High-bodybag
High-Low-Bodybag
Amazing stagger with 114 string..

Im probably missing a few

Yes some are fuzzyable but when you have allll these options, you will be hit

If you guys cant open someone up with this character, you might as well put down the controller

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Also the other variation I bet is definitely going to shine in certain matchups. That 8% projectile that knock downs in combination with the soul bucket is going to be really good in certain matchups I think

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
This character has the following mixup options... wtf:
Low-low
Low-overhead-into full combo
Mid-body drop
Mid-Low-frame trap (if you get hit by last hit you can do groundskull for full combo)
Mid-Low-Krushing Blow
Mid-Low-body drop
Mid-Low-safe skull
Mid-overhead (is a launching krushing blow)
High-Low-Low
High-bodybag
High-Low-Bodybag
Amazing stagger with 114 string..

Im probably missing a few

Yes some are fuzzyable but when you have allll these options, you will be hit

If you guys cant open someone up with this character, you might as well put down the controller
I thought this too, but you sure as shit get low poked quite a bit. The spacing is new, so time will tell, but he’s definitely susceptible to pokes that out reach his shit.

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_
So most normals into Ground Eruption( DB1) will whiff after first fireball if the opponent is crouch blocking. But I think the distance is the most important thing for this move. 3,U2,DB1 keeps them in check nicely though because the 3,U2 string has good push back on block.

DrFreezegood

Chaosrealm Ambassador
Has anyone noticed when he says, "Ot has begun" in-match, it sounds like Arnold? Did they swap audio clips on accident? Terminator konfirmed?

Lol, for real though.

jcbowie

...more deadly than the dawn.
Does anyone know the actual frames of how vulnerable Shang is after morphing back into himself? It feels like the animation lasts a long time by itself but it also seems like he's able to block earlier than he's able to actually move...? Maybe I'm imagining it.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
So most normals into Ground Eruption( DB1) will whiff after first fireball if the opponent is crouch blocking. But I think the distance is the most important thing for this move. 3,U2,DB1 keeps them in check nicely though because the 3,U2 string has good push back on block.
Remember that the second hit of the ground eruption can always be flawless blocked and punished by some character. Shang Tsung is -21.

Does anyone know the actual frames of how vulnerable Shang is after morphing back into himself? It feels like the animation lasts a long time by itself but it also seems like he's able to block earlier than he's able to actually move...? Maybe I'm imagining it.
I agree with your observation. Interestingly, Shang Tsung cannot morph back as long as you are holding the block button.

By the way, corpse drop has variable block stun by one frame, which currently only affects the Geras match up. Sometimes he can punish with low sand trap. Sometimes he cannot, depending how the corpse hits the opponent's hitbox. I really dislike this inconsistency. Also, skull whiffs on some characters with small hitboxes who are block crouching. Hitbox nonsense... yet again!