What's new

MK11 SHANG TSUNG Discussion

Morph feels neutered tbh. No dmg buff AND less dmg on kb's is too much of a penalty. Unless you know the opposing character's max damage combo, its way too much of a risk to use it reliably
I disagree. Like mk9 I'm going to soul steal and zone, because I'll win every trade

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
It's such a shame, because I'm actually kind of interested in Spellmaster. His ability Soul Well is interesting. It appears you put the Soul Well up on screen, and it'll stay there for 9 seconds, and in that time you can cast abilities, and kombos, and all of them will add to the Soul Well. When the time is ready you can recall those souls and it'll heal you for seemingly 25% of all damage you do, up to a certain point. But the issue is it doesn't give you anything on block, and you have to recall them yourself. But this ability is interesting. Too bad it doesn't have lower recovery or I'd actually try this variation out. Maybe I'll come back to it after Warlock.

KCJ506

Noob
Anyone know exactly how many brutalities he has and if some of them can be found in the Krypt or are they all found in towers?

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
So you get no damage buff, its not even his most damaging ender, and you still need to do the pre requisites for kbs which do half damage...

Please tell me why I would eeeeeeever use this move and try to fight my opponent with their own main... NRS again making cool moves useless..

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
Who said you don't get a damage buff? You do. It's not a 50% damage buff or anything, but it seems to be 20%. Plus, Krushing Blows still do a good bit of damage if you know them.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
Also, for Krushing Blows that require you to do a move x amount of times, these Krushing Blows will stack up over multiple uses of Soul Steal. So take Sub-Zero's EX Slide Krushing Blow. I used 2 ex slides in one transformation, and then the 3rd in a separate one and still got the Krushing Blow.

Wigy

There it is...
Rofl shang gets stupid combos with soul steal.

Kollector he gets the guaranteed grab KB off his hola restand into 500 damage for 2 bars.

Geras if you end a corner combo with soul steal you can do a 350 damage combo freeze time and switch back and do two d2s.

That's 10 mins in the lab, need to look at scorpion

Enenra-Kitsune

If it's a bad pun, damn right I'm gonna say it
Does anyone know yet if you can use your opponents Fatals and Brutals on them after you soul steal? I'm not near the console to check right now.

Afumba

Noob
Soul steal does provide damage buffs except for krushing blows and fatal blows, which have reduced damage. For example, regular throws do 168.00 points of damage.

You do.

By the way, there are lots of moves with gaps.

• f+2,4,2
  • b+1,1,2
  • b+3, u+4
  • ground erruption
b+2,1,1,2 has no gaps, but the last hit can be neutral crouched.
Dont think it matters much but at least up close b2,1,1,2 hitbox seems to be a bit wonky... Sub can reversal slide the b2 sometimes.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Dont think it matters much but at least up close b2,1,1,2 hitbox seems to be a bit wonky... Sub can reversal slide the b2 sometimes.
Thanks for sharing. I tested the hitboxes on a block crouching Johnny Cage. Fortunately, all of the primary strings seem to function properly.

By the way, ground eruption is -21 when flawless blocked and amplifying makes you even more unsafe. Cetrion and Geras can punish with geyser and low sand trap anywhere on the screen, respectively. So can any character with a long range fatal blow.

Also, I would not use EX corpse drop on Scorpion. He can jump out of the second hit and punish with teleport anywhere on the screen.

Reversal up+2 has bad range. u+3 is a little better.

Last edited:

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Unfortunately they kind of limited what he can do with D'vorah's stripscetera, the bugs stop coming out when Shang morphs(whether it's the first or second) so be careful not to waste meter on that too late into your morph.

Rofl shang gets stupid combos with soul steal.

Kollector he gets the guaranteed grab KB off his hola restand into 500 damage for 2 bars.

Geras if you end a corner combo with soul steal you can do a 350 damage combo freeze time and switch back and do two d2s.

That's 10 mins in the lab, need to look at scorpion
Good shit man, though you can tech a throw out of hitstun for the Kollector one. But maybe you could do like a F2 and then just microdash into a nasty strike/throw mixup.

As in you dont have to meet the pre requisites?
You do, but one thing soul steal might be good for, it's super plus on hit, so say your opponent is Geras you can put them in their own grinder after. Though the morph back part is kind of scary.

I think shang is definetly solid without soul steal.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Anyone gotten to lab his hipster variation yet and have any idea wtf his df3 soul burst thing is good for?
You could possibly use the normal version as a block string ender but there's a gap. The big use seems to be the amplified version which is a slow projectile but Shang can dash up from full screen and F2 if it hits. I think you're gonna be fishing for good trades with this move mostly, and it does have a free cancel for cheekyness.