What's new

MK11 SHANG TSUNG Discussion

We didn't see much of our lovely evil sourcerer yet, but I'll update this thread when we do.

For now we only know that he's going to be our guide in the Krypt, that he has the looks of Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (@chtofficial) and that he's going to be the first DLC of MK11.

We also know that the he has 2 stages dedicated to him: Shang Tsung's Island Ruins and The Nethership (although this last one hasn't been confirmed yet), and more importantly, that the Krypt he'll be our guide for is going to be on his own island!

Regarding this last bit I seriously hope we are going to explore all the classic stages that didn't make it into the game, and I'm fairly certain I won't be disappointed!

Discuss as much as you want, within reason.
I was trash with him in mk9, but he and kunglao are gonna be my top two played

I wanna see how he performs with this slower pace

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Top five coolest male character in the entire series. I'm very much hoping for UMK3 Shang Tsung's look.

I'm just hoping for swaggy ground fireball combos to make a glorious return!

If tag team is a possible feature I think maybe that hints that maybe it will be possible for Shang Tsung to possibly be able to pick two people to morph into plus his opponent. A compromise but it would still heavily reward Shang players for being solid with multiple characters and the roster at large.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
A lot of people seem to like his younger designs, but I'm all about his old MK1 / alternate MK9 design as an old man. It's almost imperative that we get both options though, and I'm sure we will.

Agreed about shapeshifting, that is what made him my favorite character in all fighting games, and made MK my favorite game. When I was little and didn't know about MK, my friend told me about sub-zero (his favorite) and all the other cool characters that game had (that happened when mk2 came out)and I was like "man, I need to know more about those characters and pick me a favorite". I read about all of them first, and thought Raiden was my guy....Until I saw one little sentence in the Shang's description : ....can shapeshift into any character and have all their special moves and even finishers....I was like WTH? This is the most broke shit ever lore wise!!!! This is my guy!!!! Then, when I had a chance to play mk2 and try his shapeshifting, I was like "this is awesome, I can be anyone at any point...well except Bosses...."
And then I found out about the Kintaro fatality!!!!!!!!!!!!

So yeah, the shapeshifting is all I wanted from an MK game ever since. MK9 was kinda ok, but MKX was almost unacceptable, which made me like the game less!!!!
Dear NRS...Make it happen for real this time
Cool story, but morphing into anyone would be kinda broke.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Remember in Trilogy when you had the option to choose a handful of characters that Shang could morph into before a match? It was a loading limitation on the ps1, but I think it could make for an interesting 3 slot loadout for Shang in 11. We're never going to get full roster Shang again. It's way too much stress on the fame, but they've already confirmed that they're going to have a tag team type mode in single player, so the game can def handle 4 models at one time. What if you could choose 2 additional morphs for Shang on the select screen? Prob have to be base variations unfortunately, but better than just morphing into the opponent

trufenix

bye felicia
I’m really hoping it’s just a base move and he can change into anyone.
I want it too, but it's not happening without literally a thousand hours of loading time before or during matches.

I'm almost 100% shang will have a couple moves in his "base" and then have 3-4 characters he can equip. Which is really how it should be, shang morphing into "anyone" is great for lore but useless in gameplay. Nobody knows 25 characters worth of moves.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Upskull combos were a thing of glory to behold and need to make their triumphant return. Upskull pressure too off that knee. And the ability to end combos in downskulls to prevent wake ups. Shit I just really miss MK9 all of a sudden. Bring him backkkk.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
Hey folks did they ever upload a better quality version of his trailer for MK11? I wanna play it for a friend but those audio issues take some of the shine off the apple.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I want it too, but it's not happening without literally a thousand hours of loading time before or during matches.

I'm almost 100% shang will have a couple moves in his "base" and then have 3-4 characters he can equip. Which is really how it should be, shang morphing into "anyone" is great for lore but useless in gameplay. Nobody knows 25 characters worth of moves.
I would learn lol. It’s not realistic though I know. It was easy with a 7 character roster.

trufenix

bye felicia
I would like to see dead warriors that aren’t on the roster. Like if he actually did drain goro he could have strings that include a goro swing. Change into 3 different people during a combo would be sick.
With the crazy stuff they've done with Swamp Thing and now Noob I honestly hope that is how it works. That would be a fantastic way to do cast representation.

DeftMonk

Noob
How are they going to handle the shape shifting? Bring back MK9 style?

I would love for them to find a way to make the old school "shift into anyone" style work but I don't know if such a thing is possible with today's character models. Not to mention concerns of balance or even how it would work with the kustom variation system.

But they have to have the shapeshifting, it's the most iconic part of his character. Like yeah yeah up skulls, straight skulls I know but he needs to change into other people. None of this Shinnok mimic stuff, not a cool string where he changes form, that doesn't count. We need full-on Shang changed into another character because he steals people's souls. The real cheap shit that made him a legend.

I could see it being a gear slot too so they could try other things with him. Which could be cool but I really hope that the shapeshifting is a base part of his gameplay. I don't want to accept anything less then MK9 style because it's just not Shang without it.
I am kinda hoping he will be able to only shift into like 3-4 characters who arent in the roster like Nightwolf, Kintaro, Great Kung Lao... Make him something like a lei wu longish character. Otherwise he prob wont be able to shift and just be some lame sorcerer or can only shift into the guy hes fighting.