What's new

MK11 SHANG TSUNG Discussion

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God

Shang Tsung's reveal trailer is finally out!

Our evil sourcerer will be out June 18th for Kombat Pack owners, one week later otherwise. Can't wait to start stealing some souls!

Here's the breakdown for anyone that missed the Kombat Kast:

We didn't see much of our lovely evil sourcerer yet, but I'll update this thread when we do.

For now we only know that he's going to be our guide in the Krypt, that he has the looks of Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (@chtofficial) and that he's going to be the first DLC of MK11.

We also know that the he has 2 stages dedicated to him: Shang Tsung's Island Ruins and The Nethership (although this last one hasn't been confirmed yet), and more importantly, that the Krypt he'll be our guide for is going to be on his own island!

Regarding this last bit I seriously hope we are going to explore all the classic stages that didn't make it into the game, and I'm fairly certain I won't be disappointed!

Discuss as much as you want, within reason.
We should count down the seconds till he is downloadable

RoninLoganX

The Masterless Sword
Contemplating my Shang Tsung Kustom build. I definitely want to do Ninjas and I'm thinking Ermac, Rain, and Reptile. Wanted to hear your guys thoughts though, see what you all think or might suggest (and, it doesn't necessarily have to be all ninjas), because it's always fun to soundboard off people.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Move list and frame data by Raptor. Allegedly, the in-game frame data has errors so take the numbers with a grain of salt.

A combo guide for beginners also by Raptor. Warlock has very good combo potential because of ground skulls. Spellmaster is limited in this aspect.

Ketchup did a lengthy breakdown on Twitch.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
D1/D3 are nice on block but have weak range, follow up their hit advantage with B1(14 frame mid) and the attached strings.

His D4 seems like his go to poke, it having better range and being 9 frames of startup and +17 hit advantage. You can follow it up midscreen with F2(18 frame mid) or one of its strings.

Marinjuana

Can you f4 a getup roll for the KB? It completely whiffs for me.
You have to hit the tight punish window when they stand up like if you were going to jab punish. He's got some nice range for his oki so maybe it could be a hard read kind of thing.

Marinjuana

Jade's Purple vs Shang notes

Projectiles/etc. that hit Jade:

Soul Steal (BF2)
Corpse Drop (Fire and Brimstone's DF3)
Scatter Souls(Soultaker's DF3, but the amplified version does not hit)
B2112 string
Fatal Blow(And yes, his wakeup! @legion666)

Projectiles/etc. that don't hit Jade:

Straight Skull (F&B's BF1)
Ground Inferno (F&B's DB1)
Screaming Soul (Soultaker's BF1)
Crashing Flames(Soultaker's DB1)
Inferno Barrier(Kustom DB2)

@M2Dave

Last edited:

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
His 21U2D2 string is incorrectly listed in the frame data as +7 on block (gapless) as the real time frame data tells us it's actually -8. Don't go getting your hopes up, folks!

112 is listed as +4 when blocked regularly, however the real time frame data tells us it's +6.

Sweep is said to be -6 on block but the real time frame data tells us it's -7.

F4 is listed as +4 on block however the real time frame data tells us it's +5.

S1 is listed as -3 on block, yet the real time frame data tells us it's +1 on block.

Scott The Scot

I won't keep amending my post with frame data errors as I sense that a patch or hotfix will release and correct the listed frame data as we have seen happen before.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
THE TESTING HAS BEGUN!

Thank you to everyone who has access to Shang Tsung and is posting accurate information. Please remember to use the frame data calculator instead of relying on the listed frame data.

Jade's Purple vs Shang notes

Projectiles/etc. that hit Jade:

Soul Steal (BF2)
Corpse Drop (Fire and Brimstone's DF3)
Scatter Souls(Soultaker's DF3, but the amplified version does not hit)
B2112 string
Fatal Blow(And yes, his wakeup! @legion666)

Projectiles/etc. that don't hit Jade:

Straight Skull (F&B's BF1)
Screaming Soul (Soultaker's BF1)
Crashing Flames(Soultaker's DB1)
Inferno Barrier(Kustom DB2)

@M2Dave
I assume the ground skulls, or the ground explosion as they are known in the game's moves list, do not hit either.

Could you also check whether Cetrion and Geras can punish far corpse drop with geyser and low sand trap respectively?

112 is listed as +4 when blocked regularly, however the real time frame data tells us it's +6.
I guess there is a gap, though, right? What is the positioning like on a blocked 1,1,2? Also, is 1,1,4 safe on block?

And lastly, can either the slide or the mid ground explosion punish Noob's b+1,1+3 on block?

Marinjuana

Shang's B3D4 is a nice double low hitting string that is only -5 and with no gaps. His B3U4 has a big ol' gap but the U4 is an overhead with a string extension in and you can special cancel it. The B3U4 is only -6 by itself but when flawless blocked, it becomes -11 and any follow up will not come out. You can jump back into full combo the overhead, regardless if he does the string or not. You can also simply interrupt the overhead and do an aerial combo but at this point I'm not sure which options work the best in practice. At any rate, super cool string, I love the animation of the overhead.

Here's the jump back and flawless block options at work.

Scott The Scot

I guess there is a gap, though, right? What is the positioning like on a blocked 1,1,2? Also, is 1,1,4 safe on block?

And lastly, can either the slide or the mid ground explosion punish Noob's b+1,1+3 on block?
Yes there is a gap in the 1,1,2 string which can be flawless blocked and cancelled into U2 for a full combo punish. There is a lot of pushback from the final hit. The only normals that reach the opponent after blocking the full string is: F2 (17f startup), F3 (28f startup), F4 (26f startup and high) and B1 (14f startup) but ONLY if you do a micro dash. Furthermore, regardless of whether the opponent is stand or crouch blocking the 1,1,2 string - flawless blocking the final hit without cancelling into a reversal attack reduces the pushback considerably and leaves Shang at -4 on block.

1,1,4 is safe on block at -8 with a slight pushback and also has no gap.

Shangs DB1 (Ground Eruption) does punish Noobs B1,1+3 string. Slide cannot.

Marinjuana

I assume the ground skulls, or the ground explosion as they are known in the game's moves list, do not hit either.

Could you also check whether Cetrion and Geras can punish far corpse drop with geyser and low sand trap respectively?
Yeah the ground inferno whiffs, I just forgot to list it.

Corpse Drop is -16 on Cetrion and she cannot reversal Geyser. On a standing Geras, it's -17 because of his height, but only if he is standing up. So he can reversal sand trap for a just frame punish but if he comes from crouch it could be slightly less minus, avoiding the punish. You can do the amplified version of Corpse Drop on block for -13 as well but you can jump out of it.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
S1 is listed as -3 on block, yet the real time frame data tells us it's +1 on block.
LOL. No way that the +1 is remaining. No character in this game has an advantage on blocked jabs.

Not to force a knee-jerk reaction out of anyone, but do you or @Marinjuana find Spellmaster underwhelming, at least in comparison to Warlock? Spellmaster has limited juggling capabilities and slow projectiles from what I have observed thus far.