What's new

MK11 SHANG TSUNG Discussion

Wigy

There it is...
In testing pretty much all of his strings seemed to have the wrong block advantage? Maybe some just down to active frame variation but there were a fair few that were way off.

Also f232 is crazy in the corner. Didn't test it tonnes but seems to have a gap you can only flawless block? Maybe tripping (did test with frost) and you get meterless 270ish off it. It's plus 5

Is anyone finding that the second tourney variation has merit? Seems like another case of a character with one viable tournament option, sadly.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
LOL. No way that the +1 is remaining. No character in this game has an advantage on blocked jabs.

Not to force a knee-jerk reaction out of anyone, but do you or @Marinjuana find Spellmaster underwhelming, at least in comparison to Warlock? Spellmaster has limited juggling capabilities and slow projectiles from what I have observed thus far.
Yeah it's definitely easier to see the appeal of the first variation but there's some interesting stuff in the Spellmaster and I think his pressure may be better. The Soul Jar could nab him some nice healing and while his unique projectile is slow, it has a delay and knocks down, and the amplify beam version seems strong with nice active frames and damage. There might be some pressure game there too with his projectile cancel and the amplified version. Soul Scatter is a really weird move that might get you killed if you use it in pressure but the amplified version is this projectile he chucks with a ton of hit advantage and can be combo'd into. Maybe you could win trades with it?

And while he doesn't have Warlock's DB1 to combo with, he retains the normal DB1(Crashing Flames) which works better as a pressure tool and is more safe. Like you can just do D4~DB1 Amp in Spellmaster for -6 with a ton of pushback and I don't think there's a ton that can be done about it. Some characters should be able to punish Warlock's Ground Inferno with flawless block and the amplified hit will whiff on block, unlike Crashing Flames.

This variation is definitely wacky but it's early and I think he might be able to excel with a more turtley playstyle, trying to stay safe, win projectile trades and healing when possible. And Warlock has some quirks too, it doesn't seem like he has great combos in the corner and I wonder how well he will do against certain characters who don't get zoned so easily. But Warlock will always have that damage to fall back on. It might be sort of like a Raiden situation where the one variation is seemingly better most of the time for neutral control and damage but the other variation has merit in some different matchups by offering something unique. Some character might have a hard time stopping him from healing himself for example, that could be cheap. We'll see, it's the variation that appeals to me more, I've always liked healing mechanics.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Some characters should be able to punish Warlock's Ground Inferno with flawless block and the amplified hit will whiff on block, unlike Crashing Flames.
Can anyone punish a mid ground explosion when flawless blocked? Also, if you morph and connect your opponent's fatal blow, do you still have access to your own? If so, that is broken. LOL.

Waz called Shang Tsung bad on Twitter. I have been watching TJDizzy's stream and I can think of at least five different reasons why this character may already be one of the best zoning characters in the game.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
Can anyone punish a mid ground explosion when flawless blocked? Also, if you morph and connect your opponent's fatal blow, do you still have access to your own? If so, that is broken. LOL.

Waz called Shang Tsung bad on Twitter. I have been watching TJDizzy's stream and I can think of at least five different reasons why this character may already be one of the best zoning characters in the game.
Expose them!

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Yeah it's definitively past midnight, yet he still hasn't shown up. Do we have to do something special to download him? I'm on PS4 btw.
I am as well, and I'm trying to do everything, checking my add ons, restarting my ps4... Nothing.
PSN updates tomorrow around noon or later eastern time. The people who have access to Shang Tsung are mostly XBL players who have changed their region to New Zealand.

PSN updates tomorrow around noon or later eastern time. The people who have access to Shang Tsung are mostly XBL players who have changed their region to New Zealand.
Does PSN update at the same time (e.g., noon EST) all around the world? Or will it update at (for example) noon EST in each time zone?

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I'm gonna follow up that bit about Crashing Flames, so I'm finding that some characters can actually block attack through the second fireball on block, but they will need an exceptional U2/U3 for it to be able to hit. Unfortunately, this isn't really a flawless block that people should have trouble with, but you just have to adjust your spacing for the matchups.

Against most characters you probably won't run into a ton of issue with this but make the spacing extra nice against characters like Geras, Shao(holy shit Shao), Frost and maybe some other ones. More labbing needed.

It's only -16 with the flawless block so I don't know if anyone could punish the mid range one, I just meant the close one as a string ender or something. If someone was a boss they could flawless block the first hit and not be pushed back into the second.

Nah haha, one and done on fatal blows and D2 KB's, though landing someone else's Fatal Blow sure is satisfying. Speaking of which, that might be a good strat with Soul Steal, it's more appealing to Soul Steal an Erron Black if you are going to get his Fatal Blow.

Yeah the zoning in Warlock seems very legit to me, and I think he's just a unique character that will take some time to flesh out. Obviously stuff like Soul Steal, but even just that he gets 40 health back on forward throw, that's super unique and useful.

Damn I guess he isn’t releasing at 12 :(

I wonder how the one dude got him unlocked.
You PS4 players get a great playerbase and tourney standard. Us Xbox players get to switch our location to New Zealand and play DLC a day early! Is only fair :DOGE

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
If it’s past 12 in your PS4’s Timezone, go into the actual Play station store, scroll down to add ons, search MK11 and then download Shang from there. You can’t download him from the in-game store.