What's new

MK11 Not Returning as Evo 2020 Mainstage game

Comments

Please actually try to run an event & find a affordable place in Brooklyn that can adequately house an event space wise, is easy to travel to for people out of state, & has good internet for streaming. Theirs VERY good reason not to do events in the area.
There is a very good reason Vegas is a hotspot for events of all kinds and that is NO SALES TAX!

We don't know the exact reason which means they never confirmed it to be the disappointing gameplay in MK 11 nor did they say it wasn't either, point is regardless of the reason it still looks bad for mk 11 and NRS because they hyped up this game tenfold, sold insane for every platform yet couldn't make evo twice in a row....

@xKMMx that's a good point however, good luck affording Vegas events lol.

No need for "arguably" to be added here.

Infinite was an absolute flop that no one on the planet cares about and MVC2 is one of the most beloved fighters in gaming history.
True lol. I was trying to be nice to infinite fans lol
Please actually try to run an event & find a affordable place in Brooklyn that can adequately house an event space wise, is easy to travel to for people out of state, & has good internet for streaming. Theirs VERY good reason not to do events in the area.
I have tried, never said it's easy but I'm saying for the guys who've been doing it for years at these fancy establishments. Next level in BK is a small joint, I knew a place that had local tourneys but sadly they closed down being a mom and pop place, they had an MK 9, MK X tourneys as well as other games smash, tekken, sf etc. But yeah I mean NYC like I said has tons of great spots that aren't all hard to get to, there's 5 boroughs not just Manhattan. Brooklyn and SI are not that hard to get to honestly compared to say Manhattan or Queens. There's a newer dave & busters in SI, it's bigger than the one in the city, cleaner, nicer and has a huge ass backroom for events. I'm going to ask them about it. I mean they're an bar a arcade afterall, if they weren't for that it would be dumb honestly. Much better than gamestops little tourneys, they never have room and have to use a restaurant or something when they do something sometimes depending on the GS.

Last edited:
@M2Dave , You are correct. An EVO presence does not dictate the sales of the game as many, most casual fans have no idea of what EVO even is. They know exactly what MK is and they buy every single iteration of the game. The sales are the only thing that matters to the executives and the investors. Nothing in the roadmap for MK11 includes EVO during the C-level meetings, I can assure you all on that. We all live in an FGC bubble where we believe that EVO determines the legitimacy of a given fighting game. In some sense it does but ultimately it is WE who determine the legitimacy of this game if we choose to support and play it. Not EVO.

With that being said, what this does diminish is the legitimacy of the game in the eyes of the "elite FGC" members. They see a game having legs if it appears at EVO and trash if it doesn't. Smarter people know better than that.
It's like Sony not needing E3 anymore.

It's like Sony not needing E3 anymore.
Or Nintendo, I know they showed last year bigtime but prior years they didn't even show much or showed at all did their own thing with direct and still did well with the Switch. I kind of thing E3 is a bit overrated in some ways. That also covers all games for all platforms at least the big 3 anyway, so people have these insane expectations most of the time that doesn't wind up happening.

We don't know the exact reason which means they never confirmed it to be the disappointing gameplay in MK 11 nor did they say it wasn't either
I'm surprised nothing has been leaked yet. From an NRS/WB employee, someone who knows MrWiz, etc. I'd really like to know the "why" still. The fact no one has said (whereas for MvCI, Melee, etc, it was said why they were absent), makes me think it wasn't necessarily Evo/MrWiz's decision. Unless he just feels really uncomfortable saying "it's a boring game to watch and twitch chat ripped it to shreds last year."

But yeah, I'm thinking it had to do w/ negotiation #'s in some way. Cuz saying "NRS didn't want to pay" or "Evo wouldn't give us a Sunday final", etc, looks bad/petty on both sides and is a big ..l.. to the community. Both sides probably couldn't come to a negotiation agreement, but did come to a hush-hush agreement, in order to save both faces.

Last edited:
In all honesty I'd rather watch paint dry than any game in the EVO2020 fighting games line up. Might stop by if there is a DBFZ Sonic Fox vs GO1 grand finals but that's about it.
This was actually a hyperbole and it doesn't really apply to every game, I do actually enjoy watching DBFZ. I actually bought MVC2 PSN version in 2009 just because of the good memories that I had with it as a kid when I played it & I've actually played X-Men vs Street fighter as well as the Street Fighter Alpha Series. Of course I find the rest of the EVO line up boring as hell to watch but maybe it's because I just don't play those games. Except SF5 of course which I think it's boring regardless.

Last edited:
If this game is so trash and boring and that's the reason why it's not included at EVO, then I wonder why is it still the most played NRS game at this time of it's cycle..
Then tell me how the fuck SFXT made it to an EVO? Then tell me how DOA 4 made it to an EVO? There have been a lot of "bad" games that have made it to the main stage of EVO. The quality of your game doesn't fucking matter to their staff. People need to realize that. I mean if it did UNIST wouldn't be there. Because we all know SF5 isn't the best fighter on the market.

Last edited:
Then tell me how the fuck SFXT made it to an EVO? Then tell me how DOA 4 made it to an EVO? There have been a lot of "bad" games that have made it to the main stage of EVO. The quality of your game does fucking matter to their staff. People need to realize that. I mean if it did UNIST wouldn't be there. Because we all know SF5 isn't the best fighter on the market.
The point of my post was that the game is obviously not so trash and boring or else it wouldn't be the most played NRS game. Also, you, just like everyone else, have no idea why MK11 will not be at EVO.

The point of my post was that the game is obviously not so trash and boring or else it wouldn't be the most played NRS game. Also, you, just like everyone else, have no idea why MK11 will not be at EVO.
Actually I got a good idea. The qauility of a game deson't matter if it is EVO worthy. It's all about money and what will come out to play/watch. It's money and people trying to come up with other bullshit.

I'm surprised nothing has been leaked yet. From an NRS/WB employee, someone who knows MrWiz, etc. I'd really like to know the "why" still. The fact no one has said (whereas for MvCI, Melee, etc, it was said why they were absent), makes me think it wasn't necessarily Evo/MrWiz's decision. Unless he just feels really uncomfortable saying "it's a boring game to watch and twitch chat ripped it to shreds last year."

But yeah, I'm thinking it had to do w/ negotiation #'s in some way. Cuz saying "NRS didn't want to pay" or "Evo wouldn't give us a Sunday final", etc, looks bad/petty on both sides and is a big ..l.. to the community. Both sides probably couldn't come to a negotiation agreement, but did come to a hush-hush agreement, in order to save both faces.
Could be but all I know is it's all speculation at this point, I personally don't believe the whole "NRS didn't pay their dues" bs because they have money tons of money from this game, it's at every other major except Evo? Sounds fishy or the game just isn't in that much demand as people think but I don't expect those people to actually admit that if that's the case. If we don't get a solid answer soon, I think it's safe to say something was up and probably a bit from column A and B know what I mean?

Could be but all I know is it's all speculation at this point, I personally don't believe the whole "NRS didn't pay their dues" bs because they have money tons of money from this game, it's at every other major except Evo? Sounds fishy or the game just isn't in that much demand as people think but I don't expect those people to actually admit that if that's the case. If we don't get a solid answer soon, I think it's safe to say something was up and probably a bit from column A and B know what I mean?
No one will admit that because it has zero basis in reality if you give entrants & views the most basic glance.

No one will admit that because it has zero basis in reality if you give entrants & views the most basic glance.
Your opinion which you're entitled to, however that being said til we see evidence of the actual reason any reason is possible and all reasons plausible. The reality I see. That being said, I'll stand by my original stance. I dont really care about numbers when that's not what I'm talking about, obviously they dont either since they still rejected mk 11 at evo this year.

Last edited:
Your opinion which you're entitled to, however that being said til we see evidence of the actual reason any reason is possible and all reasons plausible. That being said, I'll stand by my original stance.
How is that opinion...? Numbers don't necessarily lie, unless context says otherwise. And given the game's viewership on community-ran events played online, I'd say the context is favorable.

How is that opinion...? Numbers don't necessarily lie, unless context says otherwise. And given the game's viewership on community-ran events played online, I'd say the context is favorable.
I'm not talking about tournament numbers/entrant numbers so much as I am more so the reason why MK 11 wasn't picked(obviously the entrant numbers mean little to them as well apparently)

I said that because it sounds like he's trying to deconfirm any possibility that the powers that be rejected mk 11 at evo this year definitely has nothing to do with the game having issues gameplay wise or that they dare I may say find it dull, not up to par let's just say. I don't know the reason either but until we get an actual reason from NRS or Evo people whoever why, I'm saying any reason is possible.

I dont get why numbers are being the focus here anyway when that has no bearing on whether a game is good or not, sales stats or what that has to do with mk 11 not getting picked this year. I'm not disputing tourney numbers, I'm saying there could be a number of reasons why they did not pick mk 11 at evo this year since we really dont know.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about tournament numbers/entrant numbers so much as I am more so the reason why MK 11 wasn't picked(obviously the entrant numbers mean little to them as well apparently)

I said that because it sounds like he's trying to deconfirm any possibility that the powers that be rejected mk 11 at evo this year definitely has nothing to do with the game having issues gameplay wise or that they dare I may say find it dull, not up to par let's just say. I don't know the reason either but until we get an actual reason from NRS or Evo people whoever why, I'm saying any reason is possible.

I dont get why numbers are being the focus here anyway when that has no bearing on whether a game is good or not, sales stats or what that has to do with mk 11 not getting picked this year. I'm not disputing tourney numbers, I'm saying there could be a number of reasons why they did not pick mk 11 at evo this year since we really dont know.
Honestly we don't know what happened. It is just as likely NRS didn't want to agree to some contractual stipulation or didn't want to pay certain necessary fees as it is the problem was on EVO's side. In fact I would say more likely. Which kinda sucks.

Honestly we don't know what happened. It is just as likely NRS didn't want to agree to some contractual stipulation or didn't want to pay certain necessary fees as it is the problem was on EVO's side. In fact I would say more likely. Which kinda sucks.
Exactly, we don't know. It could be a number of reasons, all we have is speculation. Could be anything from the big cheeses seeing the game being seen as flawed and dull or too violent for a large crowd or NRS not paying their dues, we really don't know. I don't think it matters at this point, to be honest as a franchise MK don't need either Evo or tourneys to be successful. The millions it sold wasn't due to either at the end of the day. One fact most can agree on.

Now, I have been playing MK(and other fighters) for about 20-21 years and still am a fan. But, MK11 is a utter disappointment overall. Haven't played since last Summer. Hence me not caring about it getting the EVO axe. Had a feeling it was going to get put on the chopping block this year anyway sadly.

EVO's lineup for this year is great but some people here are too salty to see that (and no they're not weeb cringefests blow it out your ass with that shit. Sounding like a CoD dudebro)

If you still enjoy MK11 more power to you and have fun.

Now, I have been playing MK(and other fighters) for about 20-21 years and still am a fan. But, MK11 is a utter disappointment overall. Haven't played since last Summer. Hence me not caring about it getting the EVO axe. Had a feeling it was going to get put on the chopping block this year anyway sadly.

EVO's lineup for this year is great but some people here are too salty to see that (and no they're not weeb cringefests blow it out your ass with that shit. Sounding like a CoD dudebro)

If you still enjoy MK11 more power to you and have fun.

You've been playing MK since you were 3 years old?

Didn’t they do this at e3 2018? Don’t be surprised if there is some huge side event announced for mk11 across the street at the mgm or something.

I mean the first time I played an MK game I was probably really young too. Probably 5 years old or so.
And I started playing Karateka around 3-4.

Ironically my parents wouldn’t let me own Street Fighter when it came out on SNES because it sounded too violent, but I convinced them that MK was a totally different game so I got MK instead. Which wasn’t really a lie when you think about it.