What's new

MK11 Not Returning as Evo 2020 Mainstage game

Comments

this number is indeed lower than DBF and Samsho in weaker slots

MK11 had the main event slot of Saturday, it automatically should've been higher.

And it wasn't, DBF nearly doubled it in a weaker slot and less entrants.
It was lower than Dragon Balls top 8, Go1 vs Sonic Fox narrative is strong and that's It. I was keeping track, It was higher than Samsho and DB(top 8 aside). They have official data concerning views, go check that If you want.

Unsurprisingly, DOA6 is left out again as well after EVO Japan 2019 and the "core values" incident.

I'm not saying it's right, but between likely having to fold to investors/sponsors will (See ESPN/Disney) and not seeing MK's gore as "family friendly", it would be incredibly hypocritical of the EVO crew to include either/both DOA6 and MK11 after the "core values" comment.

I wouldn't be surprised if the pressure came from ESPN and Disney and they used the "core values" comment from Mr. Wiz to drive the point home.

That said, Rick and Ultra David are looking to host a side tournament for MK11 at EVO, and if the tournament gets enough players, similarly to the major side event for MK9 that I believe Pig ran at Evo many years ago, it'll garner enough attention and get some stream time.

Boycotting EVO won't actually do anything other than make EVO treat the NRS community as sour grapes and not worth bringing back.

Lastly, I think both Combo Breaker and CEO are better, more well run and organized events and both of them support NRS.

Last edited:
Unsurprisingly, DOA6 is left out again as well after EVO Japan 2019 and the "core values" incident.

I'm not saying it's right, but between likely having to fold to investors/sponsors will (See ESPN/Disney) and not seeing MK's gore as "family friendly", it would be incredibly hypocritical of the EVO crew to include either/both DOA6 and MK11 after the "core values" comment.

I wouldn't be surprised if the pressure came from ESPN and Disney and they used the "core values" comment from Mr. Wiz to drive the point home.

That said, Rick and Ultra David are looking to host a side tournament for MK11 at EVO, and if the tournament gets enough players, similarly to the major side event for MK9 that I believe Pig ran at Evo many years ago, it'll garner enough attention and get some stream time.

Boycotting EVO won't actually do anything other than make EVO treat the NRS community as sour grapes and not worth bringing back.

Lastly, I think both Combo Breaker and CEO are better, more well run and organized events and both of them support NRS.
I’m rappelling down an elevator shaft right now so sorry for any errors but yes, your are on the right page so-to-speak but none of these guys truly care about “core-values”, this is honestly about business. If content cannot be monetized then you can’t run ads or sponsors on the content and as we all know, MK’s content doesn’t adhere to the new community guidelines.

I really wish there was something I could do but it looks like someone is working on a running a side tournament.

I said years ago we need to do our own thing, I think we should just take the bull by the horns and bring MK Trilogy to Evo. We’ll run our little side tournament of champions in a 3v3 format and i promise JWong will waddle on over to see what all the buzz is about. I’m so sick of these dimensionally-confused MK games anyways and I know I can speak for everyone on this website when I say that. We want Trilogy, we’ve been begging that bald bastard for remake for over 10 years and all he cares about is making more Shekels. Seriously, how could someone be that obsessed with money that they’d be willing to sell out their most loyal fans. I am still fuming over this news, I feel bad for all the kids that looked forward to competing in this pos of a sequel.

I’m rappelling down an elevator shaft right now so sorry for any errors but yes, your are on the right page so-to-speak but none of these guys truly care about “core-values”, this is honestly about business. If content cannot be monetized then you can’t run ads or sponsors on the content and as we all know, MK’s content doesn’t adhere to the new community guidelines.

I really wish there was something I could do but it looks like someone is working on a running a side tournament.

I said years ago we need to do our own thing, I think we should just take the bull by the horns and bring MK Trilogy to Evo. We’ll run our little side tournament of champions in a 3v3 format and i promise JWong will waddle on over to see what all the buzz is about. I’m so sick of these dimensionally-confused MK games anyways and I know I can speak for everyone on this website when I say that. We want Trilogy, we’ve been begging that bald bastard for remake for over 10 years and all he cares about is making more Shekels. Seriously, how could someone be that obsessed with money that they’d be willing to sell out their most loyal fans. I am still fuming over this news, I feel bad for all the kids that looked forward to competing in this pos of a sequel.
Borics, it's quite impressive for you to be able to work in elevator shafts while ranting about MK and Boon's hairline. Well done.

Thanks. My Co-Workers find it more annoying than anything else because I sometimes stall progress but I’m very passionate about this series. It also doesn’t help that I’ve been blasting October Rust for the last 3 days.
Lollll get back to work and stop looking at your phone. Don't be the first TYM member to fall down a fucking elevator shaft please lol

I remember Roofle's video saying that it was most likely due to marketing, and MK11 is bloody so it makes sense.
Rooflemonger thinks Kotal kahn is great and doesn't deserve any buffs and that Shao Kahn just need some hitbox adjustments and he'll be good. You SERIOUSLY think that such an out-of-touch person like that is going to tell the truth? You're chasing fool's gold at this rate by buying anything he says. That's the definition of an out-of-touch shill.

Online player numbers are only higher due to a better netcode which again incentivizes players to stay at home and play the game for free and without any risk of losing money.
and still evo 2019 had more people entering mk11 (overall biggest numbers any nr game had so far on a evo) than the from you so glorified mk9 with its 3 evos combined.

that narrative that all people dislike the game strangely doesn't reflect in numbers, neither off or online. but i guess some people think their opinions is worth more when they shout louder...

Last edited:
and still evo 2019 had more people entering mk11 (overall biggest numbers any nr game had so far on a evo) than the from you so glorified mk9 with its 3 evos combined.

that narrative that all people dislike the game strangely doesn't reflect in numbers, neither off or online. but i guess some people think their opinions is worth more when they shout louder...
Shout louder? Who's shouting here besides the shills? If anything, I have been writing my comments in well-detailed and rationale prose so all this about "shout louder" is irrelevant to me. Just because a few passionate individuals want to make sure their voices are heard does not mean you have to degrade them for sharing different views from yourself.

1.5k is a huge number for EVO entrants for MK yes but it's still relatively lower when compared to games that's been out for four-plus years to that of MK11's 1 year and just because a game has more entrants does not equate for likability of the game. This game, since it's reveal trailer, was automatically being targeted to the higher end players within it. And since we're on the topic of "entrants", since after EVO, the vast smaller tournaments can't even get more than 100 entrants at their tournaments:

Tournaments such as ECT only had 90 something entrants. How the HELL do you go from 1500 something people at EVO to just now only 90 entrants within the same timespan? $10,000 is at stake at EVO and you really think they want to see this game there when their own grassroots side tournaments can barely get 100 people? And before you start with the whole "you gotta start somewhere," these tournaments have been going on for quite some time now and still the only time they had high numbers was for the previous titles.

It is ludicrous to sit here and to think that because 1,500+ people registered for EVO then that means the game is at it's peak in popularity. That's not a concrete metric to even base the likability off of this game as we've seen since EVO 2019 entry numbers for this game have dropped expeditiously.

The only person I've seen tell the truth about this matter is @Tom Brady and his video here exemplifies everything I've said to some degree even better than what I've said honestly.

It is ludicrous to sit here and to think that because 1,500+ people registered for EVO then that means the game is at it's peak in popularity. That's not a concrete metric to even base the likability off of this game as we've seen since EVO 2019 entry numbers for this game have dropped expeditiously.
every nr game had huge drops after the first year.

second year of evo mk9 had 304 people, third year had 233 participating.
evo 2015 mkx 1162, second year 713
mkx combo breaker 2015 - 262, second year 198

meanwhile mk11 first year evo highest numbers, combo breaker 807 people ect. and i am sure this year combo breaker and co will have similar numbers to previous mk titles when not more.

you want metrics, then maybe you want to look all the tournament numbers up for 9,10,11 and compare the amount of people participating in it compared to previous titles.

beside of just claiming things you brought in not a single proof which shows that mk11 at this point is going weaker then previous nrs titles and with that is being liked less, neither by offline or online numbers.....that profile pic suits you very well because beside of your opinion and nonsnese which you claim as fact you literally brought nothing to the table to proof what you said...might want to candidate for the next election...

no one cares about what you believe or how you feel about things. bring some comparable numbers to the table, then we can talk.

Last edited:
Because EVO has come to the same realization that a lot of others on this site have.... this game is BORING AF to watch because it is dry and repetitive. The game is one of the least entertaining in NRS history. EVO is just acknowledging what people like me have been saying for a long time. This is not the "Great fighting game" apologists on here have continued to claim it is, on a competitive level.

Cringe is thinking that success in life is having a car and partying in the weekends. Cya
Agreed. His post sounds beyond shallow.

To be fair, I don't think numbers represent everything. I mean Captain Marvel broke the billion dollar mark, yet is still a shitty movie and is FAR from the best comic book movie out there and is not a better movie than say WW or Joker by a long shot. I personally don't think any MK game is perfect but I do feel overall MK 9 is a better, fun game than MK 11 imo. Still, I think the 3 evos in a row for any FG NOT Japanese is a pretty impressive feat tbh.

Last edited:
I totally see where you’re coming from. I really do and I honestly love the response too because it’s very well thought out but could you just hear me for a second? I believe that announcing a Mortal Kombat Trilogy HD: Online Edition would really generate some attention. I think the announcement would trend #1 on twitter for a full day if Boon ever announced it. It would also put some sense in his bald head that the fans want real MK to come back in its original format. High and Low normals with a run button and there’s no reason a MK like that wouldn’t be successful. Imagine if it had photorealistic graphics to sort of emulate the digitization of original klassics. I think people would lose their minds over it.
I can definitely see in generating some buzz on Twitter no doubt! But it has to make business sense. The average casual gamer is the one that makes up the bulk of the sales for MK. We hardcore fans make up a small percentage of the overall MK player base. Look no further than the online to see that the majority of the players use Scorpion and Subzero, the most widely known to casual players. They won't care about an older looking MK game even if the visuals are cleaned up a bit. They like flashy colors, complex cinematics and blood these days. They may be turned off by what they would consider to be a rehash of an old favorite entry from MK. That's why I mentioned that it would have to make solid business sense to cover not just us in the 10-15% but the rest in the majority, the 85-90% of the MK fan base.

Forgot to mention this:

Evo 2019 had 9 games. Remember that this is broadcast by ESPN and ESPN is 80% controlled by Disney. Oh, and Disney also owns Marvel! Guess what game got the 9th spot? Marvel 2!!!

I can definitely see in generating some buzz on Twitter no doubt! But it has to make business sense. The average casual gamer is the one that makes up the bulk of the sales for MK. We hardcore fans make up a small percentage of the overall MK player base. Look no further than the online to see that the majority of the players use Scorpion and Subzero, the most widely known to casual players. They won't care about an older looking MK game even if the visuals are cleaned up a bit. They like flashy colors, complex cinematics and blood these days. They may be turned off by what they would consider to be a rehash of an old favorite entry from MK. That's why I mentioned that it would have to make solid business sense to cover not just us in the 10-15% but the rest in the majority, the 85-90% of the MK fan base.

Yeah that's very true, casuals definitely outnumber us by a large margin(in any game really, they make the sales) and I believe Ed put out a stat sheet not too long ago. Scorpion is the most used online character out of every platform in general combined. Shocker lol. I'm sure Sub is in the top 3 as well.

Forgot to mention this:

Evo 2019 had 9 games. Remember that this is broadcast by ESPN and ESPN is 80% controlled by Disney. Oh, and Disney also owns Marvel! Guess what game got the 9th spot? Marvel 2!!!
That's interesting and could explain MVC2 being there...like what the hell, Disney controls how their movies get rated, bribes RT and now this? Makes you wonder.

@MKF30 if that was the case, it would be marvel infinite. They have no way for players to even purchase mvc2 at retail currently.
It doesn't matter Disney owns Marvel really wouldn't matter if it was Marvel Infinite besides MVC2 is arguably way more popular than MI

meanwhile mkx first year evo highest numbers, combo breaker 807 people ect. and i am sure this year combo breaker and co will have similar numbers to previous mk titles when not more.
MK11, I think you meant :p

And yeah, it's true -- we've had over 1000 more entrants total at this point across the majors than either MKX or INJ2 had by now. MK11 has had the biggest tournament turnout in NRS history, and it's not even close.

It doesn't matter Disney owns Marvel really wouldn't matter if it was Marvel Infinite besides MVC2 is arguably way more popular than MI
It absolutely would. Disney won't care much about twitch views, but they would however care about putting on an event that would drive more sales for them. Theres no way for them to monetize mvc2. I also dont think the 8 man invitation is the reason MK11 didn't make it to evo.

It absolutely would. Disney won't car much about twitch views, but they would however care about putting on an event that would drive more sales for them. Theres no way for them to monetize mvc2. I also dont think the 8 man invitation is the reason MK11 didn't make it to evo.
It doesn't since MVC2 is more popular than MVC3 or Infinite. They can very easily if they want, just because the game is old don't mean much I mean they got it at Evo 2020...Mk 11 didn't make it simply because it's not a great game and nobody cares about it outside of people on here and those who play in KL.