What's new

MK11 KABAL Discussion

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
They leave you at a certain range where you can b1 for free if they try to counterpoke
S2 is also +3 so f4 frametraps against most characters
Not sure whether spacing traps is the correct terminology, but these normals have quite a lot of pushback on block, so slight walk back into B1 will whiff punish most counterpoke attempts.
Oh shoot, didn't know that. Nice. Does this work if they have quick farther reaching advancing normals like Cassie's B2?

Also, how easy or difficult is it to hit confirm on B4 and F2? EDIT: F4 lolz

Thanks for all the tips and info btw, just learning him and NDC variation. Feel he's very fun and solid all around.

Last edited:
E

Eldriken

Oh shoot, didn't know that. Nice. Does this work if they have quick farther reaching advancing normals like Cassie's B2?

Also, how easy or difficult is it to hit confirm on B4 and F2?

Thanks for all the tips and info btw, just learning him and NDC variation. Feel he's very fun and solid all around.
You can't hit confirm a sweep (b4). =P

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3

Also, how easy or difficult is it to hit confirm on B4 and F2?

Not going to lie hitconfirming f4 is pretty hard, I practice it quite a lot and I‘d say I can do it 7/10 times, 8/10 Maybe if I‘m focused

What really helps is if you press f4~bf3b and hold back instead of just f4~bf3, this way you just have to tap block and gives you a tiny bit more execution time. If they don‘t block f4 then bf3 comes out regardless of the back input after it.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
You can't hit confirm a sweep (b4). =P
F4. F4 lol. Don't want people thinking Kabal has some unique combo-extending sweeps lol!

Not going to lie hitconfirming f4 is pretty hard, I practice it quite a lot and I‘d say I can do it 7/10 times, 8/10 Maybe if I‘m focused

What really helps is if you press f4~bf3b and hold back instead of just f4~bf3, this way you just have to tap block and gives you a tiny bit more execution time. If they don‘t block f4 then bf3 comes out regardless of the back input after it.
Ah yes I'm going to practice that then. Starting to get down a bit of consistency with the others. His two hit strings seem like a straightforward hit confirm. You see it and react accordingly. I've got to get down consistency with the one hitters though. I feel like anyone who can hit confirm F2, B1, and F4 one hit normals combined with hit confirming his strings makes the character even better by a good margin, as the opponent has too many options to try to react against. F4 was the hardest for me, and F2 slightly easier but still hard. Going to try this trick later today.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
F4. F4 lol. Don't want people thinking Kabal has some unique combo-extending sweeps lol!

Ah yes I'm going to practice that then. Starting to get down a bit of consistency with the others. His two hit strings seem like a straightforward hit confirm. You see it and react accordingly. I've got to get down consistency with the one hitters though. I feel like anyone who can hit confirm F2, B1, and F4 one hit normals combined with hit confirming his strings makes the character even better by a good margin, as the opponent has too many options to try to react against. F4 was the hardest for me, and F2 slightly easier but still hard. Going to try this trick later today.
F3 cancel is +8, hitconfirmable and is really good to use on oki so might be worth practicing that confirm too

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
F3 cancel is +8, hitconfirmable and is really good to use on oki so might be worth practicing that confirm too
+8, hitconfirmable
:eek:

So far what I've tried to do on WU is that if I think they'll do a WU attack or something I'll try to JP2 into B1 or F2 string and hope to hit. If I think they'll stand or delay I'd just F2 or something. That F3 cancel/confirm sounds like it'd be far and away the best option to pressure the WU. My entire day is going to consist of Kabal practice now lol.

E

Eldriken

Is it worth the cancel since f3 is +6 without it? I never use f3 and haven't used Mean Streak at all. Feel free to clue me in on anything and everything. lol

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Is it worth the cancel since f3 is +6 without it? I never use f3 and haven't used Mean Streak at all. Feel free to clue me in on anything and everything. lol
I change my mind on this a lot if I'm honest, spending the bar makes it hit confirmable and eliminates any pushback so you get a legit strike throw mix from it, depends if you have the resources to blow I guess.

Blewdew

Imo yes because it‘s one of the few things in this game that can actually jail. After f3ndc you can jail 111 into it which is an easy hitconfirm and safe on Block. Also f3ndc leaves at a range where you can frame trap with f2, raw f3 leaves you outside of f2 range

Last edited:

Blewdew

Also there is no Chance in hell your Opponent is going to react to a single hitconfirm, so most of the time after f4ndc you can for s2 which is +3 which frame traps into another f4 which you could hitconfirm or just leave it as it is, it leaves you at a perfect b1 range. F4 is like the Holy grail of this Variation.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Also there is no Chance in hell your Opponent is going to react to a single hitconfirm, so most of the time after f4ndc you can for s2 which is +3 which frame traps into another f4 which you could hitconfirm or just leave it as it is, it leaves you at a perfect b1 range. F4 is like the Holy grail of this Variation.
His 2 string is probably his best stagger imo. 2 is a special high +3, 22 is -1 (0 on crouch block) with good pushback and if people keep disrespecting you after 22 you can hit them with 224.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Funny how we like the same characters in this game (Skarlet/Kabal). If you played Cetrion we'd be 3/3.

Getting into Kabal, I actually like Mean Streak better. You should definitely give it a tryout! I get the impression that it can be overwhelming for opponents once mastered since he already has good normals, and staggers, plus the cancels in it.

So you can figure my excitement when I found more Mean streak players here than you see in actual play, or anywhere really haha.

That sounds just downright dirty lol. With mastered execution, if they're block holding you can do something like F4-cancel, S2, F4-cancel, back throw if you have the resources or lead or etc, and by the time they are getting up you'd have already gotten the first bar back right? Or if it opened them up, then full combo. Or more practical just use the one bar into very hard to react mixup or pressure. Man. I need to get home lol.

His 2 string is probably his best stagger imo. 2 is a special high +3, 22 is -1 (0 on crouch block) with good pushback and if people keep disrespecting you after 22 you can hit them with 224.
It seems like S2 being a high doesn't even really matter for Kabal because no one is going to duck up close against him unless it's a hard read like trying to counter a throw. Funny how 2-string is potentially his best stagger, and it's the string I've literally been using the least LOL. I saw using S2 for the plus frames but that's as far as I've been using it so far. Epic self fail. :(

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Funny how we like the same characters in this game (Skarlet/Kabal). If you played Cetrion we'd be 3/3.

Getting into Kabal, I actually like Mean Streak better. You should definitely give it a tryout! I get the impression that it can be overwhelming for opponents once mastered since he already has good normals, and staggers, plus the cancels in it.

So you can figure my excitement when I found more Mean streak players here than you see in actual play, or anywhere really haha.

That sounds just downright dirty lol. With mastered execution, if they're block holding you can do something like F4-cancel, S2, F4-cancel, back throw if you have the resources or lead or etc, and by the time they are getting up you'd have already gotten the first bar back right? Or if it opened them up, then full combo. Or more practical just use the one bar into very hard to react mixup or pressure. Man. I need to get home lol.

It seems like S2 being a high doesn't even really matter for Kabal because no one is going to duck up close against him unless it's a hard read like trying to counter a throw. Funny how 2-string is potentially his best stagger, and it's the string I've literally been using the least LOL. I saw using S2 for the plus frames but that's as far as I've been using it so far. Epic self fail. :(
His s2 string is even good in clean cut tbh, people just don't use it enough lol

We should try get some games in soon, not sure if I have you on psn already but my handle is just the same as on here

Blewdew

yeah every part of this string is amazing. 22 pushback is extremely good, I love doing d4 after it it catches so many people

yup he regenerates his bar back fairly quick. you don't even have to cancel f4 on the second rep, like @The_Tile said a creates kind of a spacing trap even without ndc so you have alot of options which are all safe if you have the execution. playing him like that is really hard though but it's definitely worth practicing.

here is a good showcase of xarakama playing him at 33:55 I think he plays him the most optimal way right now

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
yeah every part of this string is amazing. 22 pushback is extremely good, I love doing d4 after it it catches so many people

yup he regenerates his bar back fairly quick. you don't even have to cancel f4 on the second rep, like @The_Tile said a creates kind of a spacing trap even without ndc so you have alot of options which are all safe if you have the execution. playing him like that is really hard though but it's definitely worth practicing.

here is a good showcase of xarakama playing him at 33:55 I think he plays him the most optimal way right now
Legit writing these things down in order for practice when I get home lol.

This video is exactly what I was looking for. Watching now. Question though, how come midscreen he is ending combos in Nomad Dash instead of DB4 which does more damage? Is this for oki reasons?

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!

This video is exactly what I was looking for. Watching now. Question though, how come midscreen he is ending combos in Nomad Dash instead of DB4 which does more damage? Is this for oki reasons?
I'd assume for oki, though he gets pretty good oki off DB4 anyway. I haven't actually labbed the nomad dash ender though so I could be missing something

Blewdew

Yeah he‘s doing crossup kicks most of time After it but I don‘t know if it‘s worth leaving this much damage on the table everytime

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
@The_Tile I think I do have you on my PSN actually. I'm in FL so we can try to see if it connects well enough.

Watched at 33 and 1:01, and man. I'm playing so sub-optimal lol. Those hit confirms and pressure was something to behold. Learned a lot just from watching that.

E

Eldriken

My problem is that I just suck. lol I'll watch it and give it a look.

I'm legit interested in giving Mean Streak a shot.

E

Eldriken

Join the mean side
I should probably learn how to actually play Kabal first. I probably use him completely wrong. I feel like I do so much worse with him than what he's capable of. It's definitely user error.