What's new

MK11 KABAL Discussion

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
@The_Tile I think I do have you on my PSN actually. I'm in FL so we can try to see if it connects well enough.

Watched at 33 and 1:01, and man. I'm playing so sub-optimal lol. Those hit confirms and pressure was something to behold. Learned a lot just from watching that.
Imo he‘s one of the characters who actually has a lot of depth so take your time, I played mean streak exclusively for the last 6 weeks and am nowhere near this level of execution.
@The_Tile has a really sick MS though pretty sure he can show you some things

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Imo he‘s one of the characters who actually has a lot of depth so take your time, I played mean streak exclusively for the last 6 weeks and am nowhere near this level of execution.
@The_Tile has a really sick MS though pretty sure he can show you some things
Yeah I've been playing him since launch and used the NDC in the beta so I've played him a lot, but even I feel like I've got a long way to go honestly

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Hahaha thi
I'm not convinced. He seems to have to work so hard for relatively little. His nomad dash isn't as effective as sub zero's freeze for instance. You have very little time to capitalise on it and if it whiffs you are in big trouble. He has no real synergy with his movesets. Perhaps if NRS got of their arses and fixed the variation system he might be better.
Hahaha this is gold!

Matix218

Get over here!
Hey guys I was thinking about picking up Kabal and when starting to mess with his basic moveset in training I noticed the timing was very difficult to get his grounded straight buzsaw projectile to amplify. I tried doing it at the same time as the button press (mk9 style) as well as slightly after (but while he is still doing the throw animation) but it was really hit or miss (mostly miss) either way. Then I tried spamming the r1 button as i did the move and that was more successful but felt kinda janky as I know there must be a better way that doesnt require mashing the amp button. Any advice for a Kabal beginner to get this input timing consistently? All of his other amp projectiles were fine, it was just the grounded straight saw that seemed so strict timing wise. Thanks!

E

Eldriken

Hey guys I was thinking about picking up Kabal and when starting to mess with his basic moveset in training I noticed the timing was very difficult to get his grounded straight buzsaw projectile to amplify. I tried doing it at the same time as the button press (mk9 style) as well as slightly after (but while he is still doing the throw animation) but it was really hit or miss (mostly miss) either way. Then I tried spamming the r1 button as i did the move and that was more successful but felt kinda janky as I know there must be a better way that doesnt require mashing the amp button. Any advice for a Kabal beginner to get this input timing consistently? All of his other amp projectiles were fine, it was just the grounded straight saw that seemed so strict timing wise. Thanks!
It is definitely very inconsistent. It pisses me off.

Matix218

Get over here!
It is definitely very inconsistent. It pisses me off.
So do you guys just do the "mash r1" method and hope for the best? Or do you just not bother even using a bar on that move at all? Not sure how important that move even is to kabal since I have not even started playing him yet.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
i think the issue is that with variations like mean streak people focus too much on the low scoop, which honestly should be a minimal part of your game, kabal has amazing normals to play neutral with and catch people trying to press stuff. the "mix" should be an afterthought
My dear Salads, this is honestly the most sensible thing you've ever said.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
if you dont play kustoms and use air grab, MB buzzsaw is important for extending kabal's combo's and maximizing damage. u really should incorporate it into your game.

E

Eldriken

So do you guys just do the "mash r1" method and hope for the best? Or do you just not bother even using a bar on that move at all? Not sure how important that move even is to kabal since I have not even started playing him yet.
I mash and sometimes I don't. lol

However, its usefulness depends on what you're gonna be using it for. I don't really use it as a combo extender or at all in most cases, really. You can use it for a midscreen combo if you want slightly more damage.

Starter (f22, b12, 11, 22) > amp bf1 > microdash d1 > microdash 23~bf3 > 4~db4.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Honestly I usually just mash, but when I was practicing it before I find the most consistent way of getting it is timing the amplify literally just as the animation has started.

And that's how he gets max damage in both variations, so it's pretty important lol

TwiztidOne

I don't know who that is...
Do you have tips on getting it to come out everytime other than mash r1?
I play on stick and i can get it to come out consistently by hitting amplify as soon as I let go of 1

i use my index finger for 1 and as soon as my finger comes off of it my pinky is hitting amplify, this should work on pad too using your thumb and index finger.

before i would just mash and now i can get amplify straight saw and amplify low saw consistently.

E

Eldriken

Okay, so I really like Mean Streak. Holy shit. I just miss my diagonal Buzz Saw.

Blewdew

I mash and sometimes I don't. lol

However, its usefulness depends on what you're gonna be using it for. I don't really use it as a combo extender or at all in most cases, really. You can use it for a midscreen combo if you want slightly more damage.

Starter (f22, b12, 11, 22) > amp bf1 > microdash d1 > microdash 23~bf3 > 4~db4.
I have a combo thread where I wrote down all his optimals, usually you don‘t start with amp bf1 because it doesn’t combo off f22 and f4 and on Block you an be poked out of anything into amp bf1. in mean streak your variation is build around hitconfirming into bf3 so midscreen your combos should look like

Starter - bf3,dash,4~amp bf1~microdash d1~ microdash db4

Not really difficult and off your Mids you get 29%

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
@Blewdew @The_Tile do you guys feel Kabal has any bad MUs? I've been playing him mostly lately mainly because I'm looking to make the full switch. Tired of the hard counterpicks that come with using Cetrion and I tend to solo main. I'm curious if Kabal has any bad MUs or straight up hard counterpicks, and if his two variations can cover most or all MUs?

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
I have a combo thread where I wrote down all his optimals, usually you don‘t start with amp bf1 because it doesn’t combo off f22 and f4 and on Block you an be poked out of anything into amp bf1. in mean streak your variation is build around hitconfirming into bf3 so midscreen your combos should look like

Starter - bf3,dash,4~amp bf1~microdash d1~ microdash db4

Not really difficult and off your Mids you get 29%
@Blewdew @The_Tile do you guys feel Kabal has any bad MUs? I've been playing him mostly lately mainly because I'm looking to make the full switch. Tired of the hard counterpicks that come with using Cetrion and I tend to solo main. I'm curious if Kabal has any bad MUs or straight up hard counterpicks, and if his two variations can cover most or all MUs?
I don't have any experience with Clean Cut if I'm honest, though I feel Cassie and maybe Scarlet are Mean Streaks bad MUs. Jade usually gives me trouble too but I feel like that's more of a me problem. Noone else appears to give him too much trouble yet.

Blewdew

Cassie definitely she‘s beats him at any range. Idk if clean cut is better because of the angled buzzsaw because Cassie can still amp her low shot to hit you.
Sonya is a similar case, she‘s wins the zoning for sure but lacks good neutral. The problem is I think mean streak looses this mu only because of her damage output and mean streaks inability to break out of combos.
And I hate the jade mu. I don‘t think kabal looses it but it‘s just super frustrating to play

I have a pocket cassie too...but fvck cassie. Little brats should not be better than mk9's unrivalled king.
But what do you mean with mean streak's inability yo break out of combos? When i hear break out i think of breakaway which is universal

Blewdew

I have a pocket cassie too...but fvck cassie. Little brats should not be better than mk9's unrivalled king.
But what do you mean with mean streak's inability yo break out of combos? When i hear break out i think of breakaway which is universal
Because you‘ll most likely not have the meter to use breakaway which isn‘t that big of a deal usually but against Sonya you don‘t want her to delete your your health bar in 2 combos because you went for some cancels. You can use a breakaway but tbh if the matchup relies on using it clean cut is probably the better solution because without defensive Meter clean cut still has all it‘s Variation abilities while mean streak looses his best tool for almost 20 seconds

Thank you for the clarification!
That's why i play mean streak tbh
I love low saw and cancel but meter is precious. I have not thought about the meter cost when i replied, my bad!

E

Eldriken

I have a question about Kabal's Nomad Dash Cancel.

If your opponent reads the cancel, can they interrupt it? I ask because there have been times that I've canceled into something plus and got poked. I don't recall there being a "Kounter/Punish" toast either.

If this isn't the case, then perhaps I'm getting the timing wrong sometimes.