What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

Does anyone have any tips on using The Stunt Double Variation. I know alot of people say it's ass but I want to give it another try. Showstopper and Outtake are getting boring to me. I try to use it to bait wakeups but it's hard

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Premium Supporter
Does anyone have any tips on using The Stunt Double Variation. I know alot of people say it's ass but I want to give it another try. Showstopper and Outtake are getting boring to me. I try to use it to bait wakeups but it's hard
Its not a tournament variation. It's garbage. If there is any utility to it, is just setting up situations where you take a hit like a wake up but have your stunt double hit them at the same time so you can combo off the trade. Other than that its pretty shite

Is there a trick for getting 244 on whiff? I can get it semi consistently but I always seem to miss it in the most crucial moments where I would’ve definitely gotten the counter hit. Does anyone else do this

Tundra81

Premium
Premium Supporter
Pretty hype Kombat Cup finale last night. Kombat's Johnny is on another level. I wasn't sure if his Showstopper pick vs Honeybees D'vorah was by accident or not but it worked out regardless. Thought that pick was interesting.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Royal Contributor
So which one currently is his best variation? Outtake or Showstopper?
Overall, Outtake is arguably better. On the other hand, Showstopper seems better in certain match ups in which EX forceballs jail.

I am no Johnny Cage player, but that is how I see players generally use the two variations in recent online tournaments. Tweedy, who has been very successful in the last two online tournaments, also alternates between the two variations based on match ups.

HoangS-Z

Learn From This!
Overall, Outtake is arguably better. On the other hand, Showstopper seems better in certain match ups in which EX forceballs jail.

I am no Johnny Cage player, but that is how I see players generally use the two variations in recent online tournaments. Tweedy, who has been very successful in the last two online tournaments, also alternates between the two variations based on match ups.
Yes I saw many Cage players succeed with Outtake, but in the lastest patch they nerfed his Rising Star that costs him 2 bars on block so I wonder does it make Outtake weaker than Showstopper by any chance? Especially I just watched K&M's variation tier list 2 days ago and it seems like they place Showstopper above Outtake

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Royal Contributor
Yes I saw many Cage players succeed with Outtake, but in the lastest patch they nerfed his Rising Star that costs him 2 bars on block so I wonder does it make Outtake weaker than Showstopper by any chance? Especially I just watched K&M's variation tier list 2 days ago and it seems like they place Showstopper above Outtake
Based on tournament results, Johnny Cage is one of a handful of characters who has two viable variations. So trying to figure out which of the two variations is the superior one overall is futile in my opinion, especially when match ups determine which you pick. I believe that gameplay style preference also plays a major role. If you are good at controlling space and playing footsies, Outtake is the way to go. If you are good at playing offensive and making comebacks, Showstopper is the way to go. So I guess to reiterate, Johnny Cage players choose Outtake or Showstopper depending on the match up and gameplay style preference because both are viable variations as tournament results indicate.