What's new

MK10|Boon Hints at What to Expect in Next Game

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
This is the one thing I both love and hate about NRS: it's good that they try to mix things up, but they more often than not end up shooting themselves in the foot. After 10+ years of deviation and failed experimentation, they JUST NOW got MK's formula back exactly where it needs to be, and now Boon is saying "let's change it again lol". Am I in the fucking Twilight Zone or something?

Oh whatever, I'll still play MK10 no matter what bollocks they put in it.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Mk9 is the most fun I've ever had playing a video game

Reading the constant complaining about mk9 is one of the least enjoyable experiences

Why do the games top players never complain? It's because ae understand NOTHING including a video game can be made with perfection. It doesn't exist and will never exist

99% of the people who complain feel it's the games issues holding them back from winning majors and I assure u it's a god damn cop out

LONG LIVE WB, NRS, MK and especially Paulo and despite being a bears fan hecterrific too

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I like the fact that NRS and Boon constantly try new and different gimmicks in attempt to find something that works. But when we call them what they are, gimmicks, people seem offended. They definitely try and appeal to their core audience, which unfortunately isn't tournament players. Even if for arguments sake we say there's 10,000 regular tournament players. For MK9, that's what like ~1% of their sales? And the reality is that we have never even broke 1,000 at tournaments, so it's more like ~0.05%. And that 0.05 is when we had the most ever at a tournament last year for evo, around 500. And those percentages are even worse because they're only based off of 1,000,000 sales, LOL. I know Boon recently has been getting into EVO and saying he wants to appeal to both hardcore and casual audiences, but LBSH, it wouldn't make sense business wise to focus on the competitive players more or before the casual ones.

It sucks as a tournament player, but that's just how it is.

Why do the games top players never complain? It's because ae understand NOTHING including a video game can be made with perfection. It doesn't exist and will never exist
I don't think that's Boons point, or the point overall.
While you're right, you also have to understand that they can't simply upgrade MK slightly and sell it to you for 60$.
Maybe you will welcome the few changes, which help out the balance or something like that, but that does not apply for the most people out there who are not top players and who don't understand it all.

MK 9.5 would not sell that well, but MK10 that offers the entire gaming community more will, since more people will be interested, who would otherwise skip the game, because they would think: "Oh, but it's exactly like the prior game, so why should I buy that?"

NRS don't want that to happen, so they want to come up with new stuff to impress their customers and sell their product. You can't sell the same stuff over and over again.
And with new content provided it's up to the top players to adjust to it, make the best out of it and figure out everything, so that the "regular gamers" can learn it as well.

And my last point is ... you're having great fun with MK9, but the game probably improved on many things, so let's see if MK10 can improve on other things and be fun as well.

Lets make sure that this thread stays as a dialogue about MK10, and doesn't become a breeding ground for complaints about MK9.
I like to think of it as an optimism that Netherrealm will be able to make a game that we wont complain about in the same ways. i mean character complaints will always happen, but things like input bug and levels that limit the player's ability to see/play the game properly are things that can be taken care of for the next gen.

Slade

Make It Rain
I don't mind change so long as it's not gimmicky and doesn't get old after 5 minutes. Is that so wrong? I'm perfectly happy with MK9 though. It rejuvinated my love for MK after I nearly lost complete interest in one of my fav franchises...

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Man, fuck MK10!! Injustice FO LIFE! Nah but seriously y'all might as well just sit back and enjoy the games we are going to get because the next gen consoles are going to be a while.

I hope MK10 has the same 2D mobility as MK9, some new chars, and a better balance. Im also looking forward to see what they will do to the story mode, so many chars died. Lets hope it will be a good game.

Noob
I like to think of it as an optimism that Netherrealm will be able to make a game that we wont complain about in the same ways. i mean character complaints will always happen, but things like input bug and levels that limit the player's ability to see/play the game properly are things that can be taken care of for the next gen.
I agree with you, but the developers are already well aware of the input bug and lagging stages. The complaints have all been read and logged by them MANY times.

My point is, why not give them a thread with ideas and thoughts that are fresh and innovative? This gives them less clutter to sift through(or to pass up reading altogether), and gets right to the points and ideas that the fans would like to see implemented in the next game.

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
I was hoping to see what we have polished and perfected before they tried something new. Oh well, it's MK... I'll play it.

I agree with you, but the developers are already well aware of the input bug and lagging stages. The complaints have all been read and logged by them MANY times.

My point is, why not give them a thread with ideas and thoughts that are fresh and innovative? This gives them less clutter to sift through(or to pass up reading altogether), and gets right to the points and ideas that the fans would like to see implemented in the next game.
fair enough

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
Man I kinda want a sequel/update to this game with the same mechanics and gameplay with added characters and features. Seems that would fill the gap while we wait for improvements in hardware (unless new consoles are sooner than we think).

hecterrific

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios