What's new

MK10|Boon Hints at What to Expect in Next Game

Slade

Make It Rain
I wish they would build off the foundation and improve the game.
This is pretty much it. We're not expecting the exact same game, but just building off of what you have now and not messing with it drastically.

If you mess with it too much, there's a fear that the gameplay will either be a lot better, or might end up being worse.

Hidan

Where the hell is Reiko's wheel kick
Guys, please stop doing this. I know you guys love the game you have, but you guys are not right when you ask for the same game, or similar enough, with additional characters. If people had done this when MK1 came out we could have gotten MK1 with new characters. Does anyone think that would have been a good thing? I could say the same thing about MK2 to MK3.

No one is expecting, or requesting a change as big as UMK3 to MK4 was, but it is undeniable that some major shit needs to be corrected (Not just the bugs) and added to the gameplay from MK9 to 10. Some shit is fundamentally wrong, and they need to improve it. I'm not bashing the game, but I'm only mentioning it to illustrate the fact that the game is only a stepping stone, the same way MK1 was for MK2, ...

Hell! MK1 didn't have crossovers. Adding something that simple was an enormous change for MK1 players. I played SF2, so it didn't bother me at all, but imagine what an MK1 player who was only good at MK1 must've thought. In fact, I'm sure some great MK1 players fell off, but the game got better, and became even more popular. The run button had the same effect, and some good MK2 players couldn't adapt to running, but the game got slightly better, and was still a commercial success. The only time this wasn't true was MK4, and the 3d games. Nothing was improved beyond a slight aesthetic improvement of being able to see more, and do more with the camera.

I'm not asking NRS to make the game digitized, and go back to just after UMK3 (I used to). NO. I just hope they can strike a nice balance so old fans of the 2d games can enjoy themselves as much as those who have enjoyed the 3d games. After all, the 3d engine stuff, and the timing it changed with the game wasn't a simple mechanic that could be overcome like crossovers, or the run button. It is a Night and Day gameplay experience. Anyway, I'm anxious to see Reiko, Kai, and Fuujin in the next game.
Stop doing what? The guy tells you he doesn't have any new ideas at the time, so he'd prefer not to make a new game yet. Then again how can he if he and the whole NRS are occupying themselves on how nightwing will be able to beat cyborg and who between Flash and superman travels the world faster.
Ed Boon and the team always had something new to introduce in every MK title and I respect them for that, but if they are gonna wait and see how things go with Injustice, update the game with patches or even bothering put dlc characters on this too, MK10 is gonna be played by our children.
Don't get me wrong, I'm maybe the most eager to see this story mode continue where MK9 left it off. Good characters are dead, almost all evil ones are alive and NETHERREALM is going to make its move. It'll be either a better MK4 or something entirely new in terms of scenario, whatever the case I believe and hope it to be the darkest of them all.
But if they intend to bring this title when Injustice starts withering and MK9 will be already dead, then yes, some awesome evil characters and bug fixing will do.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
...if they are gonna wait and see how things go with Injustice, update the game with patches or even bothering put dlc characters on this too, MK10 is gonna be played by our children.
Lol. I think the game could be ready maybe for 2015 or 2016. And if I would have a child I think he couldn' play mk10 with just 4 years old :D (at least I will not allow him or her to do that).

NFI

Kitty Got Wet
Me: "Really Ed Boon, do we have to wait even longer?"
*Looks at Ed Boon's face in the image*

Me: ..........

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
BDMao88

I agree w most of this

I wish they would bring back Hari Kiris, those were tight

The improvement from MKDC to MK9 IMO is uncanny so if historyrepeats itself w the same upgrade then mk10 will be very special

And yes no one wants close combat or the falling combat stuff, from day 1 I didn't like it and it shouldn't be adds or anything like it

One other note to keep in mind is the hard truth

3.5 million bought the game but probably 1000 attend tourneys and actually care about patches, adjustments and input bug

1000 people isn't NRS chief concern which sucks becaus their main focus is making content sexy enough for the 3 million people to buy it.

With that being said they've done a great job catering to the tournament players but it costs ass load of money for a patch or a fix that only less than 1% of their buyers care about

Actually 1000 out if 3.5 million is .30%

Try working for WB and getting that approved lol
Innovation would actually caring about the godlikeness of the game ;) Less variables = more fun
Don't make check break out his greatness

Gengar

Hypnosis > Dreameater (its a reset)
OK. Im aware that NRS and Boon feel the need to "add" something new to the next game to make it good. Im all for adding new stuff to a game to keep it fresh and to change the pace, however i am skeptical. as the old saying goes, if it aint broke dont fix it. So far the concrete issues with MK9 are thigns like input bugs and negative edge so on and so forth. but the core of mk, the combo system, breakers, meter are all fine, stellar in fact.

Now if NRS wants to throw something else into the mix, its their game and theyre gonna do what they want. but id just like to point out that the REASON that mk9 is so good is because you REMOVED things, not added. MK9 is good because it fell back on the core of what made MK good to begin with, and the reason the games following mk3 were not as good is because you guys tried to much "innovation" and then proceeded to dig the grave even deeper. Konquest, falling kombat? cmon guys. youre better than that, and MK 9 is a testament to this fact. Feel free to add things, but just be wary because we dont need a new annoying thing to deal with. a new fun things sounds awesome, but if its a cheesy gimmick we dont want it. so please put LOTS of thought and consideration into this before you dramatically change things.

the reason your competitors, Marvel, SF, ect do so well is because they dont change the formula. they add minor things here and there, but at its core is the game that everyone knows and loves. when i look at other fighting games i dont giant changes between iterations. SC for example has been and felt the same since its beginnings. If youre gonna add something new go for it, but make sure it maintains the same traditional MK feel.

Personally I cant think of any gameplay innovations that would improve the game, likely why i dont design games, but other things that would be welcome are a better training mode, better online, some sort of spectator mode would be nice, and the removal of various bugs like the meter drain and input. Id enjoy seeing the entire cast of mk9 (minus guest characters) make a return, with hopefully some new faces to enjoy (Tremor, Reiko, and Fujin would make my day) but not too many new faces, and please dont drop a large number of characters in order to put in new faces, though it is understandable if a few warriors dont make the return trip to mk10. (after all the majority of them died in the story. and i still dont know how you guys will justify putting sub in the new game, seeing as hes a robot now. i feel like foresight was skipped in making that decision unless you plan to revert him back to human via MK 10's story)

i do enjoy BDmaos idea about different fatalities available depending on how the fight went down, although the complaint that there are no special reward finishers is silly. its called a babality. there should be no cool fatality for barely winning, but dominating your opponent? now that deserves, and gets, something special.

GreatKungLao

LiuTana
At first I was pissed off, because of MK10 could be for next-gen consoles. I think two MK games for current generation consoles is not enough and I would really like to see MK10 here.
But after all Ed Boon speaks about some really interesting thoughts, about innovation, new gameplay features, new experience, etc. and that it could be perfectly reached with next-gen consoles. It does make sense, but please, Mr. Boon, made at least one more MK game for current generation, it could be not even a fighting game. Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks 2 would be a perfect way to leave current generation consoles behind. It would be even more cool, if MKSM2 will be developed by NRS+Rocksteady, since they both under WB and can work together to make an incredibly awesome MKSM type of game.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
In the Mk10 just make jumps less powerfull by everyone's d1 having a better hitboxs, or tools to deal with it please, its all i ask.

i think "less is more" and that not every MK needs to evolve by every time a new part comes out. stick to what is known as GOOD and try to make it BETTER. "what if" the new ideas end up like MK9 story mode?? i remember it being NRS best part of MK9...

bring back things that made MK stand out.

* quotes while fighting
* choose your destiny ladder
* dark- mystic atmosphere
* friendships, hara-kiri's and brutality's

O and add JT to NRS, it would do good to MK. as the first 3 were the best of the series
@hecterrific

NKZero

Noob
They need to keep the same characters and expand by 10-15 characters. Make the relevant fixes to the old characters but more or less retain the same move sets and ensure that the new ones aren't broken as fuck lol. Expand the challenge tower to maybe 500 challenges. As Eddy said, make ways to deal with jumping better (though I wouldn't change the jumping itself...). Don't give out needless armour to characters. That's pretty much it I guess.