What's new

MK10|Boon Hints at What to Expect in Next Game

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
It's the next big thing for the Mortal Kombat community and we're already discussing what it could be like, but does Ed Boon agree? Well, decipher his comments from this latest interview and jugde it for yourself. Ed Boon tells ComputerabdVideoGames.com that the next Mortal Kombat game needs innovation, not just new characters. At this point, it is very likely that we will not see a new Mortal Kombat game until the next gen consoles come out and what will be in store for us?

"Just philosophically, I don't think we could take the approach of doing the same thing but adding new characters in our next Mortal Kombat game," he said.
"We definitely want to do something new with it, we feel we have to introduce something into the mix."
But Boon believes that there is less opportunity to innovate if a sequel is published on the same console; An indication that the next Mortal Kombat game will arrive on hardware as yet revealed by Microsoft and Sony.
"If you introduce another edition of your game on the same console, you cannot provide a radically different experience," Boon said.
Read the article in full, here!

Credit: MKServer

Attachments

RiverHB

Noob
This mentality is what I love about the MK series. Just as long as innovation doesn't mean "Klose Kombat" or "Freefall Kombat".

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I'd be perfectly happy with something like 10 new characters added, bottom 10 buffed, kabal nerfed, resets removed, the game made playable online, input bug removed, I think one could choose to have negative edge on or off in the controller settings.

Minor tweaks to some characters to make their existing tools usable/viable for example Sektor's ex flamethrower could have armor as the ex version is useless now.

There is no need to remake the game and no need for some new dynamics/variables into the gameplay.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
it would be a "radically different experience" if they got rid of the input bug, level lag, and got better net code. you know, like if they made a tournament viable fighting game.
Because a fighting game is only viable when the online community is satisfied,right?

C-Sword

Noob
I'd be perfectly happy with something like 10 new characters added, bottom 10 buffed, kabal nerfed, resets removed, the game made playable online, input bug removed, I think one could choose to have negative edge on or off in the controller settings.

Minor tweaks to some characters to make their existing tools usable/viable for example Sektor's ex flamethrower could have armor as the ex version is useless now.

There is no need to remake the game and no need for some new dynamics/variables into the gameplay.
Keep dreaming :)

I think one of the reasons why they decided to move on to another project was because they couldn't fix the bugs.

They might as well call it sequel with 10 new characters added.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Keep dreaming :)

I think one of the reasons why they decided to move on to another project was because they couldn't fix the bugs.

They might as well call it sequel with 10 new characters added.
They have a good blueprint to continue where they left off.

They moved to another project because they wanted to rip off people who like fighting games and DC comics. Injustice will be shit.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
actually decent enough online would provide faster leveling up and quicker gains on character tech match ups and various other things. So yes proper online actually improves offline tournament scenes.
Have you even read what he said?A game being viable and a game's community improving are 2 completely different things.

hecterrific

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
it would be a "radically different experience" if they got rid of the input bug, level lag, and got better net code. you know, like if they made a tournament viable fighting game.
Has MK been in tournaments since it was released? I'm not sure. I remember it being in EVO for two years straight, local community tournaments, and also MLG. Maybe I'm mistaken?

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Who gives a fuck about that "in between game" any way. Injustice will be like a snack before Royal Meal arrives!

Has MK been in tournaments since it was released? I'm not sure. I remember it being in EVO for two years straight, local community tournaments, and also MLG. Maybe I'm mistaken?
a game that is in tournament(s) and a tournament viable game are two very different things. the former needs not have standards while the latter calls for a higher quality of game.

Ashenar

Just a slightly above average player.....
I'll be honest here with you hec while the game has been enjoyable. There are various things that have detracted from this game completely stealing the show at tournaments. Input problems stages and there functionality at times not working correctly not to mention the game felt like the people whom tested it since day one had no clue what to look for as far as infinities resets and certain other traps. What I didn't under stand as well is the reasoning behind flip stances in a 2d fighter and the collision issues that happen during matches at times big d vs pig of the hug at final round and I am sure a few others if we looked harder. With every revision the game received it seamed like previous problems that where fixed only opened up others that have come to light. I know the staff at NRS put there beat foot forward but lbsh the game functions at 80% of what it could and should have. With those problems eliminated or improved I am almost sure the tournament scene would thrive even more so maybe a fix for certain things can't happen in this game but injustice and mk10 in the future could show the work you guys have put in to making this franchise even better then what it is now.