What's new

MK1 Patch Notes

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
How many bs in the game would be eliminated if all kameos were summon instead of ambush?

Or being less drastic, if you could not call ambush kameos on block or after a wakeup? Just during a combo on hit or in neutral.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
How many bs in the game would be eliminated if all kameos were summon instead of ambush?

Or being less drastic, if you could not call ambush kameos on block or after a wakeup? Just during a combo on hit or in neutral.
I'm with Kiss. If anything I would probably turn some summons into ambushes, as a way of buffing some of the lesser used kameos.

I must say the game is better post-patch. The Cyrax horizontal copter regen could still be a bit faster (hell all full Kameo meter attacks should regen faster, it costing the full meter is punishment enough). And the double Kameo combo penalty is hardly noticable, to the point where I'm not even sure why they did it. The fact that they're still cooking some shenanigans with Tremor Kameo is hopefully a sign that they're still embracing the chaos rather than neutering it.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
More and more top players are finally advocating for what I’ve been trying to advocate for with NRS for years while getting a ton of pushback. Maybe since it’s top players saying it, people will actually start listening.

“Buff others instead and nerf him reasonably, keep characters strong.”

More and more top players are finally advocating for what I’ve been trying to advocate for with NRS for years while getting a ton of pushback. Maybe since it’s top players saying it, people will actually start listening.

while i agree with nrs about the last nerfs, i dont think there should be much more of those. maybe johnny needs his plus frames cut back by 1-2 here and there, but nothing too drastic. or maybe he should have 900 base health. but i dont feel hes THAT far apart from the rest of the roster and yes he needs his rushdown style.

mrapchem

Noob

Johnny Cage needs to be left alone. No buffs. No nerfs. Nothing. Leave him be.

People DO NOT know how to fight against that character online, but the very first offline major we saw him lose far too many matches to be some kind of Top 3 character.

Once people learn how to get the life-lead and run/turtle/zone Cage effectively, not to mention how to consistently Upblock the overheads in his strings, he will drop on the tier list even without getting touched much like MK11 Sonya.

People DO NOT know how to fight against that character online, but the very first offline major we saw him lose far too many matches to be some kind of Top 3 character.

Once people learn how to get the life-lead and run/turtle/zone Cage effectively, not to mention how to consistently Upblock the overheads in his strings, he will drop on the tier list even without getting touched much like MK11 Sonya.
You are going to be accused of downplaying any minute now.

but I will say id be fine with the nerfs Kombat has listed for Johnny as everyone else has basically suggested deleting him from the game.

Again as I said before people don’t want characters to be nerfed to be “fair” they want them nerfed to be out of the way completely, they don’t want to deal with anything even marginally difficult, it’s all about winning as they perceive top tier and “op” characters and strategies as the reason for their losses and not the possibility of a lack of skill or effort.

I honestly don’t blame them, NRS always gives them the nerfs that they want so they have every reason to complain because it’s always rewarded.

Again I’ve been guilty of this too I mentioned with Baraka, I was getting bodied and saw everyone saying he was broken and it was SO easy to go along with the crowd and make excuses for my losses that i didn’t even really bother to learn the match up, I had no interest in learning the gaps he had in his cyrax pressure and for a while had no idea Johnny could parry it into full combo because I didn’t care in my mind these players were carried into derpy 50% damage and that’s why I was losing, I didn’t make the effort to learn because it was easier to make excuses.

But once i stopped having a whine off and went into the training mode i discovered that Johnny bodies baraka unless he has wifi or his ethernet cord coming from the trunk of an el camino

So I’m speaking from experience when I say a lot of nerf demanders on this site and Twitter, Reddit, gamefaqs ect think this exact same way.

Not to say “toning down” isn’t warranted but I’d be lying if I said during that time period that I simply just didn’t want to deal with Baraka/cyrax anymore and that usually means scorched earth nerfs when a character gets dropped en masse.

mrapchem

Noob
I think his parry should cost two bars and his d1 be 7 frames.

to the people who want f3 nerfed: id gladly take it at 11 frames if you gave it MKX’s range lmaooo.
I'll say this: I would accept some slight tweaks to silly aspects of Cage that do not affect his core gameplay. For instance, I just learned that his Ex-Parry is 2 frames, which is absurd. It definitely should either be 2 bars or not have 2-frame startup. Or the fact that his Shadow Kick has lots of range and little recovery on whiff - I would be fine with tweaks to the range/recovery of that move too.

I don't need him or any other character in this game to be stupid - I just want all the characters in the cast to be good and strong as hell. If casuals/scrubs are pissed off from fighting strong characters and getting bodied, so be it. Their character would also be strong - they just need to take the time to get better instead of crying for Daddy NRS to make strong characters flaccid simply because they can't distinguish between what is annoying vs. what is broken.

mrapchem

Noob
You are going to be accused of downplaying any minute now.

but I will say id be fine with the nerfs Kombat has listed for Johnny as everyone else has basically suggested deleting him from the game.

Again as I said before people don’t want characters to be nerfed to be “fair” they want them nerfed to be out of the way completely, they don’t want to deal with anything even marginally difficult, it’s all about winning as they perceive top tier and “op” characters and strategies as the reason for their losses and not the possibility of a lack of skill or effort.

I honestly don’t blame them, NRS always gives them the nerfs that they want so they have every reason to complain because it’s always rewarded.

Again I’ve been guilty of this too I mentioned with Baraka, I was getting bodied and saw everyone saying he was broken and it was SO easy to go along with the crowd and make excuses for my losses that i didn’t even really bother to learn the match up, I had no interest in learning the gaps he had in his cyrax pressure and for a while had no idea Johnny could parry it into full combo because I didn’t care in my mind these players were carried into derpy 50% damage and that’s why I was losing, I didn’t make the effort to learn because it was easier to make excuses.

But once i stopped having a whine off and went into the training mode i discovered that Johnny bodies baraka unless he has wifi or his ethernet cord coming from the trunk of an el camino

So I’m speaking from experience when I say a lot of nerf demanders on this site and Twitter, Reddit, gamefaqs ect think this exact same way.

Not to say “toning down” isn’t warranted but I’d be lying if I said during that time period that I simply just didn’t want to deal with Baraka/cyrax anymore and that usually means scorched earth nerfs when a character gets dropped en masse.
You didn't lie about anything that you said right there!!!! I get that he's highly represented and super-strong, but there is a clear tactic that can be used against him; maintain that distance. At the highest level, this is obviously much easier said than done.

However, at the level that the majority of the community is at, there are plenty of characters that oppose what Johnny wants to do and give him a tough time getting in and staying in, especially with the number of assists that either zone, interrupt pressure or dominate the mid-screen.

There are so many tools in this game that help make the Johnny matchup easier; people just gotta be given the time and opportunity to learn how to use them.

I'll say this: I would accept some slight tweaks to silly aspects of Cage that do not affect his core gameplay. For instance, I just learned that his Ex-Parry is 2 frames, which is absurd. It definitely should either be 2 bars or not have 2-frame startup. Or the fact that his Shadow Kick has lots of range and little recovery on whiff - I would be fine with tweaks to the range/recovery of that move too.

I don't need him or any other character in this game to be stupid - I just want all the characters in the cast to be good and strong as hell. If casuals/scrubs are pissed off from fighting strong characters and getting bodied, so be it. Their character would also be strong - they just need to take the time to get better instead of crying for Daddy NRS to make strong characters flaccid simply because they can't distinguish between what is annoying vs. what is broken.
I’m not really fond of shadow kick nerfs because the risk usually isn’t worth the reward, yes you can get in and potentially start your pressure but your opponent can also neutral duck you and hit you with 40% most characters are going to be neutral ducking against Johnny at shadow kick range anyway and mashing their pokes.

However, at the level that the majority of the community is at, there are plenty of characters that oppose what Johnny wants to do and give him a tough time getting in and staying in, especially with the number of assists that either zone, interrupt pressure or dominate the mid-screen.
it’s funny you say this because I saw some matches with sonic using Johnny against Kombat and one commenter said “Why is it that sonic can do 1,1 1,1 1,1 1,1 but when I try that people just mash out” it gave me a good chuckle.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter

If NRS knew how to do slight nerfs while also buffing other characters Cage could be nerfed as Xombat suggested and he’d still be fine. But you’re crazy if you don’t think he’s a top tier character. Also, people don’t know how to fight against most characters in this game. They refuse to lab MU’s and just complain.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Anybody who think Cage isn't a top tier character needs a sanity check. There is no way i hell, he can be just left as is now. What Xombat said is a bare minimum what needs to be done. Good starting point, to see where the character will be after that.

And yes i labbed Cage very thoroughly and played BILLIONS of Cage players(which now almost everybody is playing or have a pocket Cage lol). It's pretty much Cage/Lao or Stryker(sometimes Kano) kameo all the time. No idea why they nerfed other top tiers and just left Cage as is, didn't make sense back then and still don't make sense today.

Anybody who think Cage isn't a top tier character needs a sanity check. There is no way i hell, he can be just left as is now. What Xombat said is a bare minimum what needs to be done. Good starting point, to see where the character will be after that.

And yes i labbed Cage very thoroughly and played BILLIONS of Cage players(which now almost everybody is playing or have a pocket Cage lol). It's pretty much Cage/Lao or Stryker(sometimes Kano) kameo all the time. No idea why they nerfed other top tiers and just left Cage as is, didn't make sense back then and still don't make sense today.
Nobody is saying he’s isn’t top tier though, I don’t know if you felt attacked or anything but I just find the players who want egregious nerfs usually fit the mold of what I was talking about in my post like I said I’ve been there before and know what it looks like.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I have a theory about why Johnny is still how he is

He just had a movie launch, and he’s going to be in the next live action movie. On a business stand point, they have to make him popular, ESPECIALLY for the casuals. As stupid as he is, it does make sense why they would do this, IF that’s the case

This isn’t the first time this has happened.
MK9- Freddy (he had a movie coming out)
Inj1- Zod/superman (movie came out the same time Zod came out)
MKX- Alien (Alien Covenant was in the works)
I2- Hellboy (had a movie coming out)
MK11- Joker (his movie was released around the same time he was released in game)

He won’t stay like this for long, but I doubt he’ll be butchered