What's new

MK1 Patch Notes

Anybody who think Cage isn't a top tier character needs a sanity check. There is no way i hell, he can be just left as is now. What Xombat said is a bare minimum what needs to be done. Good starting point, to see where the character will be after that.

And yes i labbed Cage very thoroughly and played BILLIONS of Cage players(which now almost everybody is playing or have a pocket Cage lol). It's pretty much Cage/Lao or Stryker(sometimes Kano) kameo all the time. No idea why they nerfed other top tiers and just left Cage as is, didn't make sense back then and still don't make sense today.
And what you said is wild because while I main cage I can count the number of cages I ran into on one hand, two if I count repeat players, but I also play on Xbox so that might make a difference.

tons of baraka and raiden though.

I have a theory about why Johnny is still how he is

He just had a movie launch, and he’s going to be in the next live action movie. On a business stand point, they have to make him popular, ESPECIALLY for the casuals. As stupid as he is, it does make sense why they would do this, IF that’s the case

This isn’t the first time this has happened.
MK9- Freddy (he had a movie coming out)
MKX- Alien (Alien Covenant was in the works)
I2- Hellboy (had a movie coming out)
MK11- Joker (his movie was released around the same time he was released in game)

He won’t stay like this for long, but I doubt he’ll be butchered
I don’t know if this makes sense, scorpion and sub zero are the mascots of the series and they are apparently ass lol even though Johnny is going to be a big character in the 2nd movie It always ends up leading back to hanzo or Liu kang.

it’s not like DLC where you can pay your 6 dollars and get an OP character and be absolutely toxic online until the next patch, NRS already has your money for Johnny lol.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Nobody is saying he’s isn’t top tier though, I don’t know if you felt attacked or anything but I just find the players who want egregious nerfs usually fit the mold of what I was talking about in my post like I said I’ve been there before and know what it looks like.
Nah i don't feel attacked or anything like that and i didn't respond to you personaly, i would quote you if that was the case. My post was targeted at people who think Cage should be left alone as is. That makes 0 sense, i mean even most Cage mains think and say at loud that he is probably the best character in the game in current meta and needs to be toned down. He is just crushing many characters.

And what you said is wild because while I main cage I can count the number of cages I ran into on one hand, two if I count repeat players, but I also play on Xbox so that might make a difference.

tons of baraka and raiden though.
No idea about Xbox online but on PC and PS5, Cage/Lao is like every other set and in casuals people often start as character X lose and switch to Cage/Lao/Stryker quite often, which really gets old/not fun to play pretty quickly. Btw. Baraka? He pretty much died on PC/PS5 after the nerfs, like i see maybe one every 20 games? I see pretty much any other character more often than him, lol.

Last edited:
Nah i don't feel attacked or anything like that and i didn't respond to you personaly, i would quote you if that was the case. My post was targeted at people who think Cage should be left alone as is. That makes 0 sense, i mean even most Cage mains think and say at loud that he is probably the best character in the game in current meta and needs to be toned down. He is just crushing many characters.

No idea about Xbox online but on PC and PS5, Cage/Lao is like every other set and in casuals people often start as character X lose and switch to Cage/Lao/Stryker quite often, which really gets old/not fun to play pretty quickly. Btw. Baraka? He pretty much died on PC/PS5 after the nerfs, like i see maybe one every 20 games? I see pretty much any other character more often than him, lol.
I haven’t played the game since the new patch and won’t till the Omni man patch if my character is getting nerfed no point in playing him until I have to potentially relearn him all over again(if they bbq him) rather take a long break and come back with fresh eyes.

but pre patch it was basically Baraka and Raiden all the time nonstop.

I get needing toning but I keep hearing “#1 in the game” a lot when it comes to being nerfed, is everybody supposed to be at #1? Lol I saw that you said you’d rather have people toned down instead of buffing others to the level of the higher tiers but has that really worked? MK11 a game that constantly toned down characters still ended how it started, with people rotating the same 3-4 characters, really is there any reason to use anyone other than Fujin?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Nobody is saying he’s isn’t top tier though, I don’t know if you felt attacked or anything but I just find the players who want egregious nerfs usually fit the mold of what I was talking about in my post like I said I’ve been there before and know what it looks like.
mrapchem said “People DO NOT know how to fight against that character (JC) online, but the very first offline major we saw him lose far too many matches to be some kind of Top 3 character”. While he didn’t say the actual words “he’s not top tier”, he’s very clearly implying it here.

That said, I do agree that no characters need “egregious” nerfs. And I know I keep saying this, but it’s a balance philosophy I’ve been advocating for like almost a decade at this point, lol. Which is, buff far more often than you nerf, and when you do nerf, you don’t need to overdo it.

It feels like an absolute no-brainer to me and makes the most logical sense. In MK1’s case, no character is “god tier”, not even close. There isn’t a super wide gap between the tiers. And outside of maybe Sub and Scorp, the gap between low tier and top tier also isn’t massive. It at the very least isn’t as big of a gap as we have seen in previous NRS games especially this early in the games life.

So, when you plan to nerf a character, you MUST take that into consideration. It is very easy to overnerf a character, just as it is to overbuff a character. NRS has had a history of doing both, but they have absolutely gotten better with each new game. But I feel like in this game, with all the tiers being so close to one another AND the Kameos being such a huge factor, you have to be very careful when you make any balance changes. One of the main reasons I’ve advocated for the “buff more than you nerf” balancing philosophy is because you DON’T want to nerf a character so harshly that no one wants to even use them anymore. And “harshly” can be something as simple as nerfing a single string a character has to be punishable on block where it was previously safe. But yeah, people invest a lot of time into these games, and into the characters they play. Hours upon hours of labbing and grinding MU’s. Imagine playing a character and it’s some of the most fun you’ve had playing not only that character, but most fun you’ve had playing any character in any fighting game. And the character is admittedly top tier, but not broken or anything, just really good. And you have as I said put hundreds of hours into the character, and know all their strengths and weaknesses. But because it’s a top tier character, that character is most likely going to be used a lot. And the more a character is used, the more they’re complained about. And this is the case even if the character is mid tier, but it’s especially the case if the character is top tier. YOU know that most of the people complaining haven’t really labbed the MU because what they’re complaining about is something that you know for a fact there’s an easy counter (or counters) to. But you just keep labbing and grinding. Even though you may be getting hated on for using said character and you see all the whining, you ignore it because you know that the character is good but fair and there’s counterplay. Then a balance patch drops that nerfs the very thing everyone was complaining about, that same thing you knew for a fact that there were several different ways around it or to counter it. If this wouldn’t make you furious, then you’re not a competitive player. Because not only was something nerfed that absolutely didn’t deserve to be nerfed, and not only does it completely change how you play the character, but now you know that this is likely to happen again in the future. And since it happened to a move you know had plenty of counters to it, it makes it SO demoralizing to spend all the time again labbing different things. Because what if the new thing you lab and grind out for hours on end also is nerfed? Not only is that even more time wasted, it’s depressing and frustrating and makes you not even want to play the game.

It is FAR more risky to nerf a character than it is to buff a character. The worst you can do by buffing a character is make more people play that character, but it also rewards the players who have put time into that character before they were buffed. No time wasted by either player in this case. But when you nerf a character, you could intentionally or unintentionally make the character play completely different. Just like I explained above.

However, I am NOT advocating for “never” nerfing. People often confuse this with that for whatever reason. You CAN nerf, but the nerfs only need to be very slight nerfs when you’re simultaneously buffing other characters.

Anyway, I’ve talked about this topic so many times and I’ve already rambled on too long in this post as well. I just hope NRS listens and doesn’t turn this game into a snoozefest by nerfing everything good that characters have. ¯\(ツ)

mrapchem said “People DO NOT know how to fight against that character (JC) online, but the very first offline major we saw him lose far too many matches to be some kind of Top 3 character”. While he didn’t say the actual words “he’s not top tier”, he’s very clearly implying it here.

That said, I do agree that no characters need “egregious” nerfs. And I know I keep saying this, but it’s a balance philosophy I’ve been advocating for like almost a decade at this point, lol. Which is, buff far more often than you nerf, and when you do nerf, you don’t need to overdo it.

It feels like an absolute no-brainer to me and makes the most logical sense. In MK1’s case, no character is “god tier”, not even close. There isn’t a super wide gap between the tiers. And outside of maybe Sub and Scorp, the gap between low tier and top tier also isn’t massive. It at the very least isn’t as big of a gap as we have seen in previous NRS games especially this early in the games life.

So, when you plan to nerf a character, you MUST take that into consideration. It is very easy to overnerf a character, just as it is to overbuff a character. NRS has had a history of doing both, but they have absolutely gotten better with each new game. But I feel like in this game, with all the tiers being so close to one another AND the Kameos being such a huge factor, you have to be very careful when you make any balance changes. One of the main reasons I’ve advocated for the “buff more than you nerf” balancing philosophy is because you DON’T want to nerf a character so harshly that no one wants to even use them anymore. And “harshly” can be something as simple as nerfing a single string a character has to be punishable on block where it was previously safe. But yeah, people invest a lot of time into these games, and into the characters they play. Hours upon hours of labbing and grinding MU’s. Imagine playing a character and it’s some of the most fun you’ve had playing not only that character, but most fun you’ve had playing any character in any fighting game. And the character is admittedly top tier, but not broken or anything, just really good. And you have as I said put hundreds of hours into the character, and know all their strengths and weaknesses. But because it’s a top tier character, that character is most likely going to be used a lot. And the more a character is used, the more they’re complained about. And this is the case even if the character is mid tier, but it’s especially the case if the character is top tier. YOU know that most of the people complaining haven’t really labbed the MU because what they’re complaining about is something that you know for a fact there’s an easy counter (or counters) to. But you just keep labbing and grinding. Even though you may be getting hated on for using said character and you see all the whining, you ignore it because you know that the character is good but fair and there’s counterplay. Then a balance patch drops that nerfs the very thing everyone was complaining about, that same thing you knew for a fact that there were several different ways around it or to counter it. If this wouldn’t make you furious, then you’re not a competitive player. Because not only was something nerfed that absolutely didn’t deserve to be nerfed, and not only does it completely change how you play the character, but now you know that this is likely to happen again in the future. And since it happened to a move you know had plenty of counters to it, it makes it SO demoralizing to spend all the time again labbing different things. Because what if the new thing you lab and grind out for hours on end also is nerfed? Not only is that even more time wasted, it’s depressing and frustrating and makes you not even want to play the game.

It is FAR more risky to nerf a character than it is to buff a character. The worst you can do by buffing a character is make more people play that character, but it also rewards the players who have put time into that character before they were buffed. No time wasted by either player in this case. But when you nerf a character, you could intentionally or unintentionally make the character play completely different. Just like I explained above.

However, I am NOT advocating for “never” nerfing. People often confuse this with that for whatever reason. You CAN nerf, but the nerfs only need to be very slight nerfs when you’re simultaneously buffing other characters.

Anyway, I’ve talked about this topic so many times and I’ve already rambled on too long in this post as well. I just hope NRS listens and doesn’t turn this game into a snoozefest by nerfing everything good that characters have. ¯\(ツ)
I definitely missed that part of chems post Johnny is without a doubt top tier.

Also your post absolutely needs to be pinned and NRS is absolutely going to do that because there’s more players who don’t lab match ups than there are players who do.

I cannot say this enough, why would you learn actual match ups and spend anytime doing any kind of work when you can just complain and get your way? If even the slightest thing gives me trouble and I’m convinced it’s unfair I’m not going to try to learn how to beat it I’m going to ask for nerfs lmao.

even when I started beating Baraka with Johnny the minute I fucked up a parry input or got caught with b3 and took 50+ I was like “wtf NERFS” because i had went so long thinking that shit was unfair it didn’t even matter that I knew how to beat it I subconsciously STILL wanted nerfs even though it was unwarranted at that point because it wasn’t an issue anymore.

Remember full auto Jacqui? Everyone knew you could walk inbetween the bullets but that shit was annoying so people asked for nerfs, people don’t want to learn, they want to win and win without difficulty.

The worst part is after this Johnny business is over there will be somebody else to flock to that all the tier whores will start using and you’ll see all of these people who claimed that most of the cast was “easy to deal with” atleast in comparison to cage, will be right back here complaining all over again once a new crop of characters becomes popular to use by everyone online.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
They wouldn't need to nerf JC if they elevated the rest of the cast instead of just breaking kneecaps left and right like they always do. What Xombat said is true. He needs the abundance of plus frames because of the way he's been designed. He simply won't work without them. To compete but not cripple the other characters should get at least a couple of their normals made just as plus so they have something to match but he still has more because that is literally his only thing. If everyone had at least some comparable tools it wouldn't feel as one sided but you don't need to cripple him like they did BETA Sub-Zero.

They wouldn't need to nerf JC if they elevated the rest of the cast instead of just breaking kneecaps left and right like they always do. What Xombat said is true. He needs the abundance of plus frames because of the way he's been designed. He simply won't work without them. To compete but not cripple the other characters should get at least a couple of their normals made just as plus so they have something to match but he still has more because that is literally his only thing. If everyone had at least some comparable tools it wouldn't feel as one sided but you don't need to cripple him like they did BETA Sub-Zero.
If you look at the responses to what Kombat said people want this characters knee caps broken they are tired of dealing with him, the issue is that the next time a character is strong they will just start all over again which is why NRS method of nerfing is wrong, they consistently cater to the wrong audience with their nerfs.

NoCharge

Noob
If you look at the responses to what Kombat said people want this characters knee caps broken they are tired of dealing with him, the issue is that the next time a character is strong they will just start all over again which is why NRS method of nerfing is wrong, they consistently cater to the wrong audience with their nerfs.
I'm pretty sure the right audience is the majority, which are the casuals, which is a right decision from a business stand point. But overnerfing quickly is nrs problem. I would do slight nerfs + slight buff every time a new charater drops.

Immortal

Blind justice....
There should be nerfs and buffs as needed.

That being said buffing bar for sure should not be at the level of current Cage or Lao/Stryker(kameo).

Oh now that it's Johnny's in danger of getting nerfed, suddenly people are worried?

Despite my position on nerfs/buffs I hope Johnny Cage gets absolutely gutted.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Oh now that it's Johnny's in danger of getting nerfed, suddenly people are worried?

Despite my position on nerfs/buffs I hope Johnny Cage gets absolutely gutted.
While I despise playing against Johnny (and Raiden, even after the patch), there should be reasonable buffs and nerfs across the roster on next patch - something that didn't happen to Baraka/cyrax. Otherwise, Johnny gets gutted, then Ashrah, then whoever and after the 6 balance patches (if we even get that many), we are just left with MK11 with Fujin mirrors everytime.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
While I despise playing against Johnny (and Raiden, even after the patch), there should be reasonable buffs and nerfs across the roster on next patch - something that didn't happen to Baraka/cyrax. Otherwise, Johnny gets gutted, then Ashrah, then whoever and after the 6 balance patches (if we even get that many), we are just left with MK11 with Fujin mirrors everytime.
Raiden is still good, Reiko still good, Nitara was buffed/fixed, etc. And kameo diversity is up. I'm seeing Kano now, Lao, Goro, Sareena, Sub etc. as opposed to constant Cryax helicopter.

I feel people are still overreacting a bit and the majority of the changes were good for the meta.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
There should be nerfs and buffs as needed.

That being said buffing bar for sure should not be at the level of current Cage or Lao/Stryker(kameo).
This is exactly what I am afraid of as a longtime NRS fan. Stryker was barely discussed before Cyrax. He was good absolutely but nobody was using him as the bar to measure other things against. So next they nerf Lao and Stryker. People will still ask for nerfs for the new best instead of asking for the others to be buffed instead. All you end up with is unusable garbage that isn't fun and you are like why bother even using the kameos at all now? The same goes for the main cast. Nerfs instead of buffs are a poison that slowly kills NRS games instead of strengthening them.

This is exactly what I am afraid of as a longtime NRS fan. Stryker was barely discussed before Cyrax. He was good absolutely but nobody was using him as the bar to measure other things against. So next they nerf Lao and Stryker. People will still ask for nerfs for the new best instead of asking for the others to be buffed instead. All you end up with is unusable garbage that isn't fun and you are like why bother even using the kameos at all now? The same goes for the main cast. Nerfs instead of buffs are a poison that slowly kills NRS games instead of strengthening them.
This is what’s going to happen though.

Players who had no intention of getting good at the game and will drop it in 3-6 months whine and complain asking for egregious nerfs only to ironically resurface to main DLC characters that are just as “OP” as the characters that they were complaining about on release.

Sure you have the other half of this equation of kids who come from other competitive games and pick a brain dead top tier so they can be toxic and teabag and curse on the mic, but playing NRS games since mk9 has told me that the players in the first half of my post are the majority.

Top players, intermediate players and players with a willingness to learn are always the ones who suffer.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Raiden is still good, Reiko still good, Nitara was buffed/fixed, etc. And kameo diversity is up. I'm seeing Kano now, Lao, Goro, Sareena, Sub etc. as opposed to constant Cryax helicopter.

I feel people are still overreacting a bit and the majority of the changes were good for the meta.
Yes, while Baraka is now nowhere to be seen, Nitara and Sub Zero are still trash, Scorpion got NERFED, Reptile is still lacking, etc. All this patch did was shit on Baraka and Cyrax to the point there is barely a point in using them anymore while addressing none of the other numerous balance problems across the roster.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
This is what’s going to happen though.

Players who had no intention of getting good at the game and will drop it in 3-6 months whine and complain asking for egregious nerfs only to ironically resurface to main DLC characters that are just as “OP” as the characters that they were complaining about on release.

Sure you have the other half of this equation of kids who come from other competitive games and pick a brain dead top tier so they can be toxic and teabag and curse on the mic, but playing NRS games since mk9 has told me that the players in the first half of my post are the majority.

Top players, intermediate players and players with a willingness to learn are always the ones who suffer.
Yeah, amen brother. lol. Like I said I'm a longtime fan. Was 10 when the first mk and street fighter 2 games released in 1992. Been playing every game since. I'm also one of those deplorable character loyalists that has mained at least Scorpion, Kitana, and Johnny Cage on top of whoever else in every game they've been in. So I know what the F I'm talking about when I say that the "NERF not Buff" approach has been around since patches were a thing. There was an update patch as early Arcade era MK2 as crazy as that sounds. Kitana was broken and had an infinite in the corner with her Fanwave and rapidly pressing low punch/ducking low punch into another Fanwave, repeat. It obviously legit needed fixing so they made updated boards removing the infinite and sent them to EVERY arcade that had the game so they could uninstall and replace the game boards in EVERY damn machine because connecting them all through the internet and doing it as dlc was not an option yet. It did not however do anything to help the characters who were at obvious disadvantages. Whole new hardware just because Kitana was bugged and could infinitely pummel you in the corner, lmao.

MK9 was the 1st to have regular update patches and dlc. And it has ALWAYS been like it is now. People hate this thing currently and are crying for nerfs. So let's burn the character to the ground so they aren't a problem for anyone. Make the other characters and kameos better? In an assist fighter? But it might turn into like Marvel vs Capcom 2 level crazy and EVERYONE just loathed that game (in case you somehow don't know this is extreme sarcasm). I'm not expecting different when attitudes of the player base continue to bombard socials with "NEEEEEEEERF EVERYTHING". But nobody needs buffed to make everyone strong and the best they can be, just bring the EVERYBODY down instead and then complain that the game doesn't allow fun anymore. Repeat with next game.

I absolutely love this post because it proves everything I was saying lol.
It doesn't matter if I want it to happen out of spite, It's going to happen because that's how these things go.

You're all trying to bargain with NRS, "These are the things he needs!" or "If you make this very small change then it would be more balanced for both players"

NRS don't care. They don't buff or nerf based on the communities specific suggestion. They hear "omg nerf this shit nrs" and they destroy it accordingly.

Yeah, amen brother. lol. Like I said I'm a longtime fan. Was 10 when the first mk and street fighter 2 games released in 1992. Been playing every game since. I'm also one of those deplorable character loyalists that has mained at least Scorpion, Kitana, and Johnny Cage on top of whoever else in every game they've been in. So I know what the F I'm talking about when I say that the "NERF not Buff" approach has been around since patches were a thing. There was an update patch as early Arcade era MK2 as crazy as that sounds. Kitana was broken and had an infinite in the corner with her Fanwave and rapidly pressing low punch/ducking low punch into another Fanwave, repeat. It obviously legit needed fixing so they made updated boards removing the infinite and sent them to EVERY arcade that had the game so they could uninstall and replace the game boards in EVERY damn machine because connecting them all through the internet and doing it as dlc was not an option yet. It did not however do anything to help the characters who were at obvious disadvantages. Whole new hardware just because Kitana was bugged and could infinitely pummel you in the corner, lmao.

MK9 was the 1st to have regular update patches and dlc. And it has ALWAYS been like it is now. People hate this thing currently and are crying for nerfs. So let's burn the character to the ground so they aren't a problem for anyone. Make the other characters and kameos better? In an assist fighter? But it might turn into like Marvel vs Capcom 2 level crazy and EVERYONE just loathed that game (in case you somehow don't know this is extreme sarcasm). I'm not expecting different when attitudes of the player base continue to bombard socials with "NEEEEEEEERF EVERYTHING". But nobody needs buffed to make everyone strong and the best they can be, just bring the EVERYBODY down instead and then complain that the game doesn't allow fun anymore. Repeat with next game.
Yeah man I’m the same way have been maining Johnny since MK1 and I’ll still main him after they beat him like Joe Pesci in casino with nerf bats in the next patch.

the only pleasure I’ll get out of this pain is seeing these same people come back to complain yet again about something else because if they think Johnny is the end of “oppressive pressure” than they have another thing coming, remember how happy people in mkx were with Tanya nerfs? Only for them to release alien later lmao.

It doesn't matter if I want it to happen out of spite, It's going to happen because that's how these things go.

You're all trying to bargain with NRS, "These are the things he needs!" or "If you make this very small change then it would be more balanced for both players"

NRS don't care. They don't buff or nerf based on the communities specific suggestion. They hear "omg nerf this shit nrs" and they destroy it accordingly.
I’m not at the “acceptance” stage of grief yet, leave me alone lmao

“Out of spite” aye? Well I hope after Kitana gets her scheduled 19 pages of buffs that she’s all you run into causing you to smash your controller to bits and uninstall the game.

I’m not at the “acceptance” stage of grief yet, leave me alone lmao

“Out of spite” aye? Well I hope after Kitana gets her scheduled 19 pages of buffs that she’s all you run into causing you to smash your controller to bits and uninstall the game.
Nah I'm here forever.