What's new

Match-up Discussion MIT's reptile MU chart

KH_Captain

Nightwolf wannabe
Idk I think lao is one of the least flawed most complete characters in this game. he is pretty tough to play at his maximum potential but i think in the right hands hes super good and i think lao probably beats reptile 6-4. my bro played lao since the inception of this game and says lao probably wins but it could be even so either way sounds good to me. though i think the community consensus is that lao wins slightly.

i think this reptile chart is making reptile look a bit better than he actually is. he doesnt have any good armor. his normals arent very good. what his whole game works around is controlling space with dash, balls, d4 and fast walk back. he doesnt pressure that well and doesnt deal well with pressure. his option to deal with pressure is dash which is like -1000000. MIT is definitely one of the 3 best reptiles in the history of this game to date but i think his offline success is more because he is one helluva player who has multiple characters in his arsenal more than reptile being this good. I have the Sindel match listed as 6-4 in a mostly zoning match which reptile wins. i believe sindel does well upclose using levicancel pressure and forcing reptile to look for a dash which isnt very scary since is not too much damage and sindel hitconfirms pressure into full combos pretty easily and builds hella meter with cancel pressure strings on block. look to bait dash with pressure and punish with 11b24fb or 1enh yell for big damage. keeps it closer than 7-3 imo. Nightwolf on the other hand makes reptiles game kinda tough to play with 1 frame reflect and huge damage on blocked dashes. reptile has some other good options in this match since Nightwolfs pressure options are limited hes more of a footsies character which reptile doesnt mind. i could see it being 6-4 for reptile but it could be even its one of the matches i'm more comfortable using Nightwolf for. I definitely would like to hear reply on MITs opinion on these matches and how he thinks reptile should be fighting these matches and what makes the sindel match 7-3
i gtg soon, but i'll get back to you for sure. Also naw this chart makes him look top 10, which he is. He is no lower than 10. I could add about 2 more bad mus, he'd still be top 10. He's an all around char, his only weaknesses are no good armor move and slow normals, but he can put three moves on the screen at the same time haha, that's just crazy. I definitely dnt want to upplay or downplay anyone, which is why i will be making the necessary changes.

Idk I think lao is one of the least flawed most complete characters in this game. he is pretty tough to play at his maximum potential but i think in the right hands hes super good and i think lao probably beats reptile 6-4. my bro played lao since the inception of this game and says lao probably wins but it could be even so either way sounds good to me. though i think the community consensus is that lao wins slightly.
yep i'm on the fence about this mu for sure, i'll change it to 6 4 for sure if it is necessary.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Reptile doesn't have strong armor or fast normals, but everything else about him heavily offsets these problems. Where he doesn't have good armor, he has one of the fastest specials in the game, which, combined with the slow travel speed on his projectiles, he is capable of starting his offense, or simply falling back to bait countermeasures to his offense. And his only armor move helps set up his offense as well, so it's not completely dead of a move.

MIT, about Skarlet, iaCD is a good countermeasure to Reptile's normals, especially d4, but Reptile can spit her if he feels one is coming, which gives him a spot to either forceball, or EX forceball to bait out the armor.

Also, with Reptile's low hitbox and d4, his defense vs a number of characters definitely jumps farther than you'd think. Having armor isn't always going to save you, and you're going to have to learn how to defend the hard way instead of falling back on it with whoever you play (because it will always come with a fee to use armor), so extra things like those defensive tools help.

Espio

Kokomo
Did a little bit of cleanup.

On the flip side, I was going to say I thought Jade could turn into a 7-3 Rep when you asked for my opinion on the list, MIT, but I was like "Nah...I'm probably just being hella optimistic." Good to know I wasn't the only one who thought it could be that bad lmao.

On the note of Freddy, Freddy wins full-screen. No questions asked. But does he win everywhere else? God no. And it's really only full screen that he undoubtedly wins. Everywhere else is free game, and the fact that NMS stuff is definitely weakened by the presence of dash punishing it, Freddy does have his loss of options in footsies. Reptile also is one of the best characters at baiting out EX spikes on wakeup due to how easily he can position himself to jump them properly after knocking Freddy down. This advantage stuff is nonsense. Just because it's hard for Reptile to get out of fullscreen zoning, doesn't mean that Reptile's dead. Because Reptile still can force out situations where Freddy will want to spike or Reptile gets closer. And it's not like we start the match there. You have to obtain the positioning anyway...so right off the getgo Reptile is not in a bad spot.

It's 5-5. Reptile is arguably the worst at dealing with Freddy fullscreen out of the entire cast of characters, but it's not like Freddy keeps him there no questions asked. Reptile can get in, and it's not a position Freddy begins with.

Reptile players are feeling that Kung Lao beats Reptile because forceballs are weaker here and because it's KOONG RAO. Fact is, Reptile avoid a lot of his shit due to d4 and a low hitbox. It's an annoying ass matchup on both ends.

I've thought it for a bit, I had started thinking it shortly before I went to Coco in the Summer of last year, as I've been playing Joker, Cosser and others for a while before then.

Our matches at Coco kind of confirmed that for me.

It felt equally hard with Jade as it did with Stryker, I remember 4-6 was the common opinion at the time, so I thought perhaps maybe I wasn't playing it right, but I've recently been giving it a lot of thought and discussions with Chongo which is where my novel came from lol.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
It felt equally hard with Jade as it did with Stryker, I remember 4-6 was the common opinion at the time, so I thought perhaps maybe I wasn't playing it right, but I've recently been giving it a lot of thought and discussions with Chongo which is where my novel came from lol.
If Jade was able to punish Reptile's Elbow Dash/Slide with 1,2~Staff Overhead for big damage that would change the match up and if she had the original U3 to whiff punish his D4 and advancing in since she used to be a keep out character. 3-7 sounds brutally honest though.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
On the note of Freddy, Freddy wins full-screen. No questions asked. But does he win everywhere else? God no. And it's really only full screen that he undoubtedly wins. Everywhere else is free game, and the fact that NMS stuff is definitely weakened by the presence of dash punishing it, Freddy does have his loss of options in footsies. Reptile also is one of the best characters at baiting out EX spikes on wakeup due to how easily he can position himself to jump them properly after knocking Freddy down. This advantage stuff is nonsense. Just because it's hard for Reptile to get out of fullscreen zoning, doesn't mean that Reptile's dead. Because Reptile still can force out situations where Freddy will want to spike or Reptile gets closer. And it's not like we start the match there. You have to obtain the positioning anyway...so right off the getgo Reptile is not in a bad spot.

It's 5-5. Reptile is arguably the worst at dealing with Freddy fullscreen out of the entire cast of characters, but it's not like Freddy keeps him there no questions asked. Reptile can get in, and it's not a position Freddy begins with.
You are missing an important point: it is easier for Freddy to send Reptile full screen away than it is for Reptile to remain close. After any combo, anti-aerial combo, combo breaker, and uppercut, Freddy can safely toss a glove. In some situations, Reptile is able to EX slide through Freddy's projectiles, but using this move is very risky.

I understand why MIT believes that he can approach Freddy with minor effort, but you, on the other hand, should know first hand how difficult it is. Once the full screen zoning game has been established, Freddy can toss gloves continuously with no risk. Even if Reptile successfully jumps over one, he needs to do so again to make an approach. In other words, you need at least two guesses to get close.

Freddy versus Reptile is like O.Sagat versus the majority of characters in ST. You need multiple correct guesses to have an opportunity to do some damage. And by the time you do get close, Freddy will have built a lot of meter. Unless you are really fortunate, you will be locked down full screen away on at least one occasion. A Reptile player's best chance at victory is to play a wild and unpredictable style. If he plays by the textbook, he will lose 80% of the time.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
You are missing an important point: it is easier for Freddy to send Reptile full screen away than it is for Reptile to remain close. After any combo, anti-aerial combo, combo breaker, and uppercut, Freddy can safely toss a glove. In some situations, Reptile is able to EX slide through Freddy's projectiles, but using this move is very risky.

I understand why MIT believes that he can approach Freddy with minor effort, but you, on the other hand, should know first hand how difficult it is. Once the full screen zoning game has been established, Freddy can toss gloves continuously with no risk. Even if Reptile successfully jumps over one, he needs to do so again to make an approach. In other words, you need at least two guesses to get close.

Freddy versus Reptile is like O.Sagat versus the majority of characters in ST. You need multiple correct guesses to have an opportunity to do some damage. And by the time you do get close, Freddy will have built a lot of meter. Unless you are really fortunate, you will be locked down full screen away on at least one occasion. A Reptile player's best chance at victory is to play a wild and unpredictable style. If he plays by the textbook, he will lose 80% of the time.
It's hard to get in, but again, it's not like you kept me out with impunity, and at this point, your matches with me wouldn't be the one you'd want to judge. MIT honestly is a good deal ahead of me at this point in the game...at the time we played I wasn't even really playing the game and I got passed up a long time ago.

If you guys were to play, things would be way more accurate.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
Baraka-Reptile is 6-4 at best in Reptile's favor. Dash can be full combo punished with 12~Chop Chop, D4~Blade Charge for 30%. Raka can pressure Rep on wakeup with anything and only has to fear Slide (or Acid Hand). Any meaty attack blows up Dash/EX Dash on wakeup. Max range Blade Charge cannot be punished. B31/2 blows up Rep's D4, or I can just backdash Blade Charge. Spark is also really good in the MU. 321 pressure gets halted by Spin. It's not as easy as you guys think.

Seapeople

This one's for you
After Reptile ducks a glove toss does he have time to put out an ex slowball or ex fastball without getting hit by another glove toss/finger? I haven't played the matchup enough so I'm not sure. But I'd think if that was possible it would help him a ton.

Owerbart

I miss you
it's funny how i clicked the link to this chart knowing Ermac would be listed as 6-4 rep.

i'll actually will agree with you at least parcially. This is a toughie MU, specially if Bitchtile knows the MU.
Ermac may have an edge in the damage output, but that's it. MAYBE the fact that Ermac can tele slimeballs on reaction, but the same way as Kabal, Rep's dash used as mobility hurts Ermac. I think it's a 5-5 just because Ermac's HUGE damage output, but 6-4 might be possible.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
After Reptile ducks a glove toss does he have time to put out an ex slowball or ex fastball without getting hit by another glove toss/finger? I haven't played the matchup enough so I'm not sure. But I'd think if that was possible it would help him a ton.
I will test even though I do not think so. There is not even enough time to elbow dash without getting hit.