What's new

Man of Steel coming June 14, 2013 - Discussion Thread

Zod is supremely dominant in this movie. The guy casted for his role pulled it off so damn well man. His expression, his conviction when he talks. You can feel his focused determination as the designated protector of Krypton!

michael shannon did an excellant job playing the role of zod!!

michael shannon did an excellant job playing the role of zod!!

Dude he did, he really really did a good General Zod. I'm going to keep tabs on this man for his next movie and I'll also explore his past films. He's now on my like list for talented actors.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
I've never been so hyped for a movie in my entire life and I can't see it until the 25th at midnight. While it seems to be getting its fair share of criticism I'm also seeing overwhelmingly positive responses everywhere... this thread is going to KILL me.

Not being an avid comic reader, how did Supes kill Zod? I thought he was basically invincible just like Superman? Is this just a case of different universe/different rules?

JLG

Noob
Not being an avid comic reader, how did Supes kill Zod? I thought he was basically invincible just like Superman? Is this just a case of different universe/different rules?

SPOILER SPOILER

Superman breaks Zod's neck, killing him instantly, after Zod refuses to stop trying to kill bystanders with his heat vision.

It's kind of un-Superman-like, but then again Superman has killed before (Zod, in fact). I was OK with it.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
It's perfectly fine for someone to have not liked this movie. I myself didn't care for it as much as something like The Avengers or Iron Man 3. Man of Steel is good and certainly worth seeing in the theatre though.

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
SPOILER SPOILER

Superman breaks Zod's neck, killing him instantly, after Zod refuses to stop trying to kill bystanders with his heat vision.

It's kind of un-Superman-like, but then again Superman has killed before (Zod, in fact). I was OK with it.
Superman isn't Batman which means he isn't all about "no kill". He understands you have to make choices and sacrifices for the greater good.

He killed Doomsday because he knew the risk of keeping him alive. He sang Darkseid to death in Final Crisis.

Superman having the "no kill" rule now at this point is more important than ever since he knows what it's like to take a life. Did you see his reaction to what he did afterwards?

Also, in Superman II he straight up EXECUTES Zod. Here he kills Zod in an extremely critical moment but in Superman II he straight up kills a depowered Zod and smiles while doing it.

Zod gave him an ultimatum. He straight up told Supes he was going to kill humans just to fuck with him and make him suffer.

Reactions: JLG
Dude he did, he really really did a good General Zod. I'm going to keep tabs on this man for his next movie and I'll also explore his past films. He's now on my like list for talented actors.

shannons been in ALOT of movies hell he was even in kangaroo jack lol

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
SPOILER SPOILER

What do you mean by trying? It was implied that he did. :D

Saw it this afternoon. I'm not really a Superman fan, but the movie was a 7/10 for me. As someone else said above, Faora Ul (I've had to look that up..) steals the show.

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
Saw it this afternoon. I'm not really a Superman fan, but the movie was a 7/10 for me. As someone else said above, Faora Ul (I've had to look that up..) steals the show.
I am not necessarily attacking you. I am glad you somewhat enjoyed the movie (probably). I just wanted to say that I absolutely hate when people give the movie a rating without going into specifics. It is annoying. I mean I have no idea what 7/10 means to you... so I pretty much have to disregard any comment that doesn't care to elaborate what they are getting at with rating systems. I mean I have no idea what a b- means in your head. What is 4/5? That is why I have to read text walls to see what people liked about it and what they hated about it... I also have to do my own outside research on elements of the film... for instance MoS was filmed mostly with one camera... pretty interesting.

Again not attacking you. I just don't know why people think these numbers mean anything... :p

In regards to your comment on Faora taking the show... I have been seeing people say the same thing. I think it is pretty odd. When I was watching it I didn't really have the same perspective... then once I get out everyone is saying that. Even the girl I went with... like... really? I am going to re-watch the movie. I will probably put on the "Faora" lens to see what everyone is talking about. :D

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Saw it this morning. I really liked it actually just overall really good and exciting. Minor issues here and there, but nothing significant. I thought this scene
where superman's father dies because he couldn't reveal his powers

was exceptionally powerful and really showed one of the main themes of the movie.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
People using a review metric are trying to quantify a subjective experience which doesn't really mean anything until they provide context (like you pointed out). People love numbers/grades though so, that's why professional critics use them and why people will use them casually.

As far as Faora goes, speaking for myself, I said she's a scene stealer meaning nearly every scene she's in (a lot of them action scenes) she's directly involved in some form of badassery that frankly, I would've expected to be given to Zod. Also, Faora uses a super power that's portrayed in unique way in the movie: super speed. Her almost seeming to teleport flurry punch was visually impressive, distinct, and got a HUGE reaction from the audience in the theatre I was in. Even my girlfriend was all, "This chick is a badass! It's like a video game!". Combined with going toe-to-toe with superman, stone-dogging the US Special Forces, this ominous indomitable presence was portrayed perfectly by Antje Traue (which was genius casting). Faora personified the unympathetic resolve of the Kryptonian Resistance in a way that was both different than Zod (who was shown to have his own morality and ethos), and in stark contrast to Superman and what he represents.

Aye, any rating is entirely subjective; it's just a bit of fun and a way of rating opinion. :)

I don't know enough about, or feel enough for, the character and his world to be able to relate the rating to 'Superman' but, as a piece of cinematic entertainment, it's 7/10th's exciting. Kind of dragged a little towards the end for me, but the sci-fi elements (home planet, 'alien' invasion) were interesting.

I'm a Dredd fan and can relate to those movies much more. Dredd (2012) is also a 7/10 in my book.. :D

Faora was just the most interesting character - no back story, just taciturn badassery. Those characters are always the most fun.

JLG

Noob
Also, in Superman II he straight up EXECUTES Zod. Here he kills Zod in an extremely critical moment but in Superman II he straight up kills a depowered Zod and smiles while doing it.

Zod gave him an ultimatum. He straight up told Supes he was going to kill humans just to fuck with him and make him suffer.

I really need to watch that movie again. I figured Superman just imprisoned him or something and was just smiling because he outsmarted Zod. But, if he did execute him, well, I probably would have done the same.

The other things you mentioned, I agree with. Oh, yeah, thank you for enhancing the Spoiler font. I'm assuming you did it, and I'm still kind of new here. Thanks.

I already seen the movie I was just wondering in general how Superman killed Zod. If Zod would have got him in the same submission hold would it have been possible for Zod to snap Supermans neck?

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
I just got done seeing Man of Steel. If someone were to ask me to describe the movie with one word, I would first tell them the following before finally giving them my one word:

"It has that fun and exciting build up in the beginning because you already know what is coming later on and you cannot wait for it. And then you start to see that end result slowly begin to unfold until you finally take the dive in to what you have been waiting for. From there, you come out of the other side feeling invigorated and satisfied.

You want my one word? I just described it to you, but I will say it anyway.

'Sex.'"

Man of Steel is sex.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
Saw it today and loved it 10/10. The action scenes were everything I wanted. The final fight between Zod and Superman is possibly the best comic book action ever filmed. Truly the Superman movie we have been waiting for. Thank you based Snyder. Bring on the sequel.

LEGEND

YES!
Saw it today and loved it 10/10. The action scenes were everything I wanted. The final fight between Zod and Superman is possibly the best comic book action ever filmed. Truly the Superman movie we have been waiting for. Thank you based Snyder. Bring on the sequel.
i'm still at a loss at how people didn't like it. Unless maybe they went in knowing nothing about Superman?