What's new

Man of Steel coming June 14, 2013 - Discussion Thread

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
I saw it last night for the special Wal-Mart exclusive premiere. I'll just say this...

If you liked the Dark Knight trilogy, you will LOVE Man of Steel. The action and fight sequences were just amazing, I knew very little about Superman prior to watching this film. Now that I understand the backstory and having watched the film, I think I may like it better than Batman....and that's saying a lot. This is one of very few films I would want to see multiple times in theaters before it goes to DVD.

Alexandru Pascu

XBLGT:LordR3van90
I personally thought for a good while now that Superman (flame shield up) in my opinion is a better character than Batman. I'm not limiting based off of movies or comic books but I'm taking into account story potential involving both, scope, character design and symbolist meaning behind them. I love Batman too though and he's a definite close second but lately I just get the feeling people are slightly overrating Batman's character solely because.... Well cause he's Batman. That being said this movie is a good chance to get the spotlight on Supes again and give him another chance and to prove he's not the one dimensional character everyone and their grandma call him nowadays. So my hopes are somewhat selfish in this regard. I'll be seeing the film over the weekend so I sincerely hope by the time I'm out of the cinema I will have at least once thought to myself 'Holy shit that is such a Superman moment right there' . Will see and enjoy and the film regardless of critic reviews or peer opinions on it. Just hope it'll go a step above that.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Watched it yesterday evening and while I agree that it was good, it definitely had some debatable pacing issues where the movie lost some momentum. It's a long movie (around 2:30 hours) and is a bit of a slow-burn through the first two acts as it spends a lot of time in exposition, Kal-El's development and evolution into Superman.

I'd say that people who didn't like/hated the movie expected more "popcorn munching visual action scenes" and those are largely reserved for the third act. Don't get me wrong, the visual effects in this movie are pretty amazing it's just that the large action/battle scenes with Superman don't really start happening until the latter part of the movie. Also Antje Traue's portrayal as Faora is an outright scene stealer.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
My thoughts in a short synopsis.

Man of Steel was definitely worth seeing. A couple gripes to be had but it was still a great movie overall. Highlight of the movie was Faora. Her character was insane. Zod could have been better.

Eddyward

Noob
It's still proving that Man of Steel is an obviously polarizing movie. It is pretty much guaranteed to happen with such a movie, anyways, I suppose. I personally thought it was absolutely fantastic - there were wonderful, small details in the film that I was able to appreciate, and I enjoyed and just really agreed with the way the characters were written and performed.

While I acknowledge that there were certain segments of the movie that could have been shortened, structured differently, or even left out, I never felt that anything actually took away from the movie's effectiveness, and it's vision and direction always stood clear in my eyes. I will definitely agree about Faora, though. I don't know about her stealing the whole show, but she was definitely a pleasant surprise. That whole scene was almost breathtaking.

loogie

Noob
Kal El meets his father Jor, takes the suit and on his way out of the spacecraft gets a needed shave... lol

It's Armageddon, people are fleeing the streets like mad and Lawrence Fishburn (Perry) has his suit jacket in his hand still... Dafuq!

Lois Lane had too much of screen space, too many scenes... Why is she in the C17 plane? She is military now?

Overall, good movie but some details could have made it way better.

Also snapping Zod's neck didn't make much sense since it could have been snapped or worse with all the fighting and destroying half of the city blocks in the last dual with Supes!

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
loogie, Don't post spoiler's without a spoiler tag man, not cool.

Spoiler syntax is [ spoiler] Enter text here [/spoiler]

Without the space after the initial [

Minh Giang

aka ChrsitianDMG on Stream
No doubt though, that's not too hard to do. I'm wondering if the whole DC Justice League movie plan to rival Marvel's will actually happen?
i thought DC confirmed that there'll be no JLA movie or someshit like Marvel?
BTW after watching GL movie, the only DC movies i can love is Nolan's Batman series. MoS is ok, just don't like the way the story is, I'd rather watch Avengers 100.

Backfire

Noob
In my opinion its a really good movie but its not great and it didnt live up to the hype.

which doesnt make it a bad movie, it might be just because i went in with high expectations tbh. some parts were awesome and some parts werent.

overall i would say its probably a 7/10.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
I just think that anyone who is okay with supes in this movie has no right to complain about him in Injustice...:p

Sent under duress.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Injustice's story wasn't bad, it was fucking epic...especially compared to MVC's shitty storyline.

But for Superman MOS, was EPIC and far better then Avengers...and DKR. That is all.