What's new

Man of Steel coming June 14, 2013 - Discussion Thread

insomnia_ftw

It's simple.. We normalize the superman.
I liked the action in this movie but god damn, the writing was kinda bad. I'm fine with slow portions to a movie, but not when the acting and writing are so dull.
I mean Kevin Costner and Russell Crowe pretty much collected a paycheck here. They weren't "bad", but their talents were definitely wasted.

The writing wasn't "bad" either, it was just so damn simple and generic. The tornado scene was INTENSELY stupid, infuriating even, and it was meant to be a major moment in the film! Were they really expecting us to buy that? Supes could have just ran out there at the speed of any physically-fit 20-ish year old, and the whole thing would've been peachy. That was some bulllllll shiiiiiiiiit mediocre-ass writing. Should've had him pinned by a car or something so he actually couldn't move without revealing himself.

I still liked the movie mostly for the hype that the action scenes carried, but there was just no finesse to the plot or the acting.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
I liked the action in this movie but god damn, the writing was kinda bad. I'm fine with slow portions to a movie, but not when the acting and writing are so dull.
I mean Kevin Costner and Russell Crowe pretty much collected a paycheck here. They weren't "bad", but their talents were definitely wasted.

The writing wasn't "bad" either, it was just so damn simple and generic. The tornado scene was INTENSELY stupid, infuriating even, and it was meant to be a major moment in the film! Were they really expecting us to buy that? Supes could have just ran out there at the speed of any physically-fit 20-ish year old, and the whole thing would've been peachy. That was some bulllllll shiiiiiiiiit mediocre-ass writing. Should've had him pinned by a car or something so he actually couldn't move without revealing himself.

I still liked the movie mostly for the hype that the action scenes carried, but there was just no finesse to the plot or the acting.
No no no. The tornado scene is setup where his dad was too far away for a human to get to before the tornado hits. There was litereally no way he could have saved his father without exposing himself as being abnormal. I thought Costner and Crowe were fine in the movie.

Saw it today. It was great but has it's flaws. It doesn't detract from it's entertainment value but for those looking for good character development/story, It's really not there. Lois and Clark's relationship for example. Definitely the best superhero movie this year. It's right up there in the list for top one for me.

In no particular orde r-----
Dark Knight
Iron Man
Man of Steele
X-men First Class

insomnia_ftw

It's simple.. We normalize the superman.
No no no. The tornado scene is setup where his dad was too far away for a human to get to before the tornado hits. There was litereally no way he could have saved his father without exposing himself as being abnormal. I thought Costner and Crowe were fine in the movie.
I guess, but it still seemed so avoidable. Costner and Crowe were indeed fine, but thats it. They are amazing actors, so it seemed like they were just sleepwalking through their roles. Thats probably more of an issue with writing or directing though i guess.

Its just weird that theres little to no character development in a 2.5 hour movie. I can see where they wanted to have some emotional moments, but there's just no depth to them. They are sporadically thrown at you and you are just meant to accept them. It was just a bit lackluster and i was expecting more since this is the same guy who directed Watchmen.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I love it. Can't really see how someone could possibly say it straight up sucks at all.

Funny thing too, it's either "It sucked" or "it was amazing. I still have not met a person who just said it was okay.

I seriously think some people go into these things expecting to shit their pants while having a seizure from excitement or something.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
I REALLY hope to finally see Doomsday in this series. Snyder is the only man who could do the death of Superman justice on the big screen. Maybe not in the next movie, but perhaps the last of a trilogy. In the next film I'm hoping they do something with Lex Luthor somehow bringing Brainiac to earth.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I love it. Can't really see how someone could possibly say it straight up sucks at all.

Funny thing too, it's either "It sucked" or "it was amazing. I still have not met a person who just said it was okay.

I seriously think some people go into these things expecting to shit their pants while having a seizure from excitement or something.
Dude there's several people in this thread that think the movie " is ok", myself included. It's not as polarizing as you think.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
+Faora
+Smallville battle
+Zod was intense in a fun way
+Elliot Stabler

-Krypton scene was weird and kinda awful
-CG was rough, was getting Matrix reloaded flashbacks at some points
-Pacing was all over the place
-Plot and dialog were bad
-A bit too long, probably could have cut the entire world engine plot and the movie would have been better for it
-Weird product placement
-Not enough heat vision

Could have been a lot better, but not a bad start.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Great action. Fights were the most comic-like of any superhero movie.
Good story, the first half was well-paced, second half got kind of weird and they exhausted the turning point trope.
Bad script.
Bad acting for the most part.
Stabler from SVU. Best part of movie.

I would actually see the sequel, though. Doomsday would be cool. I hope they do Justice League like Marvel did the Avengers movie, with the Christian Bale Batman. No Ryan Reynolds though.

Great action. Fights were the most comic-like of any superhero movie.
Good story, the first half was well-paced, second half got kind of weird and they exhausted the turning point trope.
Bad script.
Bad acting for the most part.
Stabler from SVU. Best part of movie.

I would actually see the sequel, though. Doomsday would be cool. I hope they do Justice League like Marvel did the Avengers movie, with the Christian Bale Batman. No Ryan Reynolds though.
I think a Justice League is inevitable because of the success of Avengers. That said I've read that WB has no intention of making a Justice League movie. That is why Marvel has been tops over the years.

They are making a Green Lantern 2 I believe in hopes to do better than the first one.

feedyourcatbro

Meow Lin
I think people wanted it to be like the Christopher Reeve movies (which I disliked due to the extreme levels of camp). It's more like Batman Begins: has flaws, but isn't a bad way to start things off.

Also the fight scenes were just absolutely amazing. :eek: <- my face during the last hour of the film.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Well, I just want to say I don't know what world the haters are living on but MOS was epic, better then DKR and Avengers honestly. The story was good, not too long-wasted on explaining Superman, what happened to Krypton etc. FAR more action then any previous comicbook movie DC or Marvel, I give this movie a 5 out of 5.

P.S. Dont' go to RT for a review, they're garbage, biased and obviously have no clue what a good movie is.

Just my opinion here but as a DC fan, I was very happy and I think anyone who bashes this movie is either a hater or on drugs in all seriousness lol