What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
You don’t have to take my word for it. You can go ask Pluralmite, Patient Impulse or VLVJ14, I’m pretty sure they will all agree that Raiden does well against Shao, and generally doesn’t have many bad MUs at all in his current state. He’s just really under-represented.

EDIT: This is his tier list he sent out a while back. I don’t really remember if this is the most updated version. I personally feel that some 5-5s can be slightly in the opponent’s favour but Pluralmite’s the literal best Raiden in the world (either him or PI) so who am I to challenge him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 66057

Why don’t you ask patient impulse what his opinion on the character is and he’ll tell you he needs buffs. That discussion doesn't really matter because the game is over. I’ve played the mirror with him and he’ll laugh at how poor Raiden is in this game. He has no real oki tool at all. B31 gap is a major deal that neuters his tool kit. His s1 string has a flawless block which forces you to use an 11 frame s2 string in it’a place. You can os the b12 mix. Close low lightning has no utility. We’re playing a character that was clipped from the start because sonic fox complained about lighting strike at the reveal event. That’s not up for debate; that’s literally what happened. I’m right there on the leader boards with plurlalmite man and Raiden doesn’t have much representation because at a high level everything he does is a gimmick. It’s about keeping your opponent in a state of “what am I going to do next,” until you have the opportunity to run away again. My advice is there for people struggling with the matchup. Teleport can be a liability if you’re deprived of meter in situations where you need to flawless block. Yes he does have really good walk bad speed and that’s how I play him for the most part. My advice was purely about the conservation of meter.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 66057

That tier list you posted is pre patch shao Kahn. I’d really love to know what his opinion is of the matchup is now if you’re in contact with him.

Mandolore1123

That tier list you posted is pre patch shao Kahn. I’d really love to know what his opinion is of the matchup is now if you’re in contact with him.
Pluralmite doesn't play the game anymore but feel free to ask those other players about the MU. Or just ask VGY if he still streams

D

Deleted member 66057

I'm in no rush nor do I care, it was rhetorical. I know my thoughts on the character. You clearly have yours. Are you on Ps4 or Xbox?

192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1
I played some fun matches vs a really solid Rambo player a few weeks ago, I'll try to upload them soon. Also had finally ran some fun mirror Raiden matches with Mandalore awhile back...

To xRantex, you play on PC right? Message me on Discord (name UnshavenRaven) and I can open a cross-play room (I'm on PSN).

Peace!

#RaidenGang #TruthAndLight
good for you !!

Last edited:

xRantex

Rante Inferno
So how do you guys feel about people calling d1,storm cell cheap? After a long good set I'll either get props or someone salty telling me I'm a spammer I have no skill etc. I was good in every nrs game online since mkdc so that's not the case I have skill but cheap?

To me d1,storm cell is a READ meaning I KNEW you were going to try to poke me after I d1'd you. Or I could've guessed wrong and got FULL combo punished again and again...

So yeah just wondering what's you guys opinion? I think it's more of a read then a cheap move.

So how do you guys feel about people calling d1,storm cell cheap? After a long good set I'll either get props or someone salty telling me I'm a spammer I have no skill etc. I was good in every nrs game online since mkdc so that's not the case I have skill but cheap?

To me d1,storm cell is a READ meaning I KNEW you were going to try to poke me after I d1'd you. Or I could've guessed wrong and got FULL combo punished again and again...

So yeah just wondering what's you guys opinion? I think it's more of a read then a cheap move.
It's one of the few specials that can be used gapless from a d1 so that makes it among the best moves of its type in the game. I can understand why someone would find that cheap, but since the move is unsafe as you pointed out I think it's fine.
And it can be fuzzied, too.

Raiden's reward is large, but the risk is far greater to him since being wrong also hands them a D2 or other punish KB if they want it.

Mandolore1123

Reads and cheap moves are mutually exclusive, but IMO if people are calling you cheap then you’ve done something right

I’ve asked him but he hasn’t replied yet. If you’re in a rush then just find him or other players yourself.

In regards to Pluralmite being the "best Raiden"... I don't know, that's kind of debatable. He's very good, no doubt, I've run some sets with him in the past (back when he was still active in MK11), but I also played against "Jay Z Bottom Lip" fairly recently and I felt he was on par with Pluralmite's skills. Haven't had the chance to personally play against Patient Impulse though.

@AgentKurtz
In regards to the Shao Kahn matchup, I personally feel pretty strong in that matchup with Truth and Light, due to the Jo Push controlling the far mid neutral game, and forcing him to slow his movement with the Lightning Bubble. It's also fairly easy to master the timing on Shao's little two stomp combo startup, to land those nice flawless block U2's. Of course, that's easier said than done vs a top level Shao player, but matchup wise, I don't mind it too much.

I'm always down for some Raiden mirror matches as well my friend! I play on PS4 and I'm on Pacific Standard Time (Southern California, USA). PSN is "UnshavenOne".

D

Deleted member 66057

In regards to Pluralmite being the "best Raiden"... I don't know, that's kind of debatable. He's very good, no doubt, I've run some sets with him in the past (back when he was still active in MK11), but I also played against "Jay Z Bottom Lip" fairly recently and I felt he was on par with Pluralmite's skills. Haven't had the chance to personally play against Patient Impulse though.

@AgentKurtz
In regards to the Shao Kahn matchup, I personally feel pretty strong in that matchup with Truth and Light, due to the Jo Push controlling the far mid neutral game, and forcing him to slow his movement with the Lightning Bubble. It's also fairly easy to master the timing on Shao's little two stomp combo startup, to land those nice flawless block U2's. Of course, that's easier said than done vs a top level Shao player, but matchup wise, I don't mind it too much.

I'm always down for some Raiden mirror matches as well my friend! I play on PS4 and I'm on Pacific Standard Time (Southern California, USA). PSN is "UnshavenOne".

Yeah it is easy to flawless block… I’m saying the match is incredibly difficult without available defensive meter. I’m pretty damn good with this character. I know what he struggles against. One of them being high damage without the resources to break. I think you friended me on ps but I’ve been playing mostly on Xbox lately.

Yeah it is easy to flawless block… I’m saying the match is incredibly difficult without available defensive meter. I’m pretty damn good with this character. I know what he struggles against. One of them being high damage without the resources to break. I think you friended me on ps but I’ve been playing mostly on Xbox lately.
That's kool man. If you feel better playing on Xbox, we can set up some crossplay matches too.

D

Deleted member 66057

It’s a gimmick tactic that rarely works against decent players. The only time you should use it is if you’re opponent is reacting to pokes with instant grabs or is mash heavy themselves.

D

Deleted member 66057

can you please not judge the "tier" by frame data? raiden has no pressure, that is true. he also is not supposed to, he is a punisher with great range and movement. the character works, no matter how bad the frame data is. just dont try to rushdown.
Yeah this aged well…

xRantex

Rante Inferno
Reads and cheap moves are mutually exclusive, but IMO if people are calling you cheap then you’ve done something right
That's true I made it look good by how I formed my game plan so when it was all said and done I was called cheap even if I landed the move a few times. So yeah I agree it just means I've done something right :)

xRantex

Rante Inferno
It’s a gimmick tactic that rarely works against decent players. The only time you should use it is if you’re opponent is reacting to pokes with instant grabs or is mash heavy themselves.
Yes I learned this in a Kombat league set the other night. And I went for D1 storm cell 1 time in that particular set and caught him.