What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

xRantex

Rante Inferno
So how do you guys feel about people calling d1,storm cell cheap? After a long good set I'll either get props or someone salty telling me I'm a spammer I have no skill etc. I was good in every nrs game online since mkdc so that's not the case I have skill but cheap?

To me d1,storm cell is a READ meaning I KNEW you were going to try to poke me after I d1'd you. Or I could've guessed wrong and got FULL combo punished again and again...

So yeah just wondering what's you guys opinion? I think it's more of a read then a cheap move.

So how do you guys feel about people calling d1,storm cell cheap? After a long good set I'll either get props or someone salty telling me I'm a spammer I have no skill etc. I was good in every nrs game online since mkdc so that's not the case I have skill but cheap?

To me d1,storm cell is a READ meaning I KNEW you were going to try to poke me after I d1'd you. Or I could've guessed wrong and got FULL combo punished again and again...

So yeah just wondering what's you guys opinion? I think it's more of a read then a cheap move.
It's one of the few specials that can be used gapless from a d1 so that makes it among the best moves of its type in the game. I can understand why someone would find that cheap, but since the move is unsafe as you pointed out I think it's fine.
And it can be fuzzied, too.

Raiden's reward is large, but the risk is far greater to him since being wrong also hands them a D2 or other punish KB if they want it.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning

Reads and cheap moves are mutually exclusive, but IMO if people are calling you cheap then you’ve done something right

I’ve asked him but he hasn’t replied yet. If you’re in a rush then just find him or other players yourself.

In regards to Pluralmite being the "best Raiden"... I don't know, that's kind of debatable. He's very good, no doubt, I've run some sets with him in the past (back when he was still active in MK11), but I also played against "Jay Z Bottom Lip" fairly recently and I felt he was on par with Pluralmite's skills. Haven't had the chance to personally play against Patient Impulse though.

@AgentKurtz
In regards to the Shao Kahn matchup, I personally feel pretty strong in that matchup with Truth and Light, due to the Jo Push controlling the far mid neutral game, and forcing him to slow his movement with the Lightning Bubble. It's also fairly easy to master the timing on Shao's little two stomp combo startup, to land those nice flawless block U2's. Of course, that's easier said than done vs a top level Shao player, but matchup wise, I don't mind it too much.

I'm always down for some Raiden mirror matches as well my friend! I play on PS4 and I'm on Pacific Standard Time (Southern California, USA). PSN is "UnshavenOne".

#RaidenGang #TruthAndLight

AgentKurtz

"Be gone destroyer!"
In regards to Pluralmite being the "best Raiden"... I don't know, that's kind of debatable. He's very good, no doubt, I've run some sets with him in the past (back when he was still active in MK11), but I also played against "Jay Z Bottom Lip" fairly recently and I felt he was on par with Pluralmite's skills. Haven't had the chance to personally play against Patient Impulse though.

@AgentKurtz
In regards to the Shao Kahn matchup, I personally feel pretty strong in that matchup with Truth and Light, due to the Jo Push controlling the far mid neutral game, and forcing him to slow his movement with the Lightning Bubble. It's also fairly easy to master the timing on Shao's little two stomp combo startup, to land those nice flawless block U2's. Of course, that's easier said than done vs a top level Shao player, but matchup wise, I don't mind it too much.

I'm always down for some Raiden mirror matches as well my friend! I play on PS4 and I'm on Pacific Standard Time (Southern California, USA). PSN is "UnshavenOne".

#RaidenGang #TruthAndLight
Yeah it is easy to flawless block… I’m saying the match is incredibly difficult without available defensive meter. I’m pretty damn good with this character. I know what he struggles against. One of them being high damage without the resources to break. I think you friended me on ps but I’ve been playing mostly on Xbox lately.

Yeah it is easy to flawless block… I’m saying the match is incredibly difficult without available defensive meter. I’m pretty damn good with this character. I know what he struggles against. One of them being high damage without the resources to break. I think you friended me on ps but I’ve been playing mostly on Xbox lately.
That's kool man. If you feel better playing on Xbox, we can set up some crossplay matches too.

AgentKurtz

"Be gone destroyer!"

It’s a gimmick tactic that rarely works against decent players. The only time you should use it is if you’re opponent is reacting to pokes with instant grabs or is mash heavy themselves.

AgentKurtz

"Be gone destroyer!"
can you please not judge the "tier" by frame data? raiden has no pressure, that is true. he also is not supposed to, he is a punisher with great range and movement. the character works, no matter how bad the frame data is. just dont try to rushdown.
Yeah this aged well…

xRantex

Rante Inferno
Reads and cheap moves are mutually exclusive, but IMO if people are calling you cheap then you’ve done something right
That's true I made it look good by how I formed my game plan so when it was all said and done I was called cheap even if I landed the move a few times. So yeah I agree it just means I've done something right :)

xRantex

Rante Inferno
It’s a gimmick tactic that rarely works against decent players. The only time you should use it is if you’re opponent is reacting to pokes with instant grabs or is mash heavy themselves.
Yes I learned this in a Kombat league set the other night. And I went for D1 storm cell 1 time in that particular set and caught him.

AgentKurtz

"Be gone destroyer!"
Also want to add some Raiden Fatal Blow tech. If the opponent breaks away immediately stormcell into f4 is guaranteed. However, if they delay the break away the fatal blow part will wiff and leave you open to a full combo punish.

However, s4 FB is universally guaranteed, but you'll be sacrificing 2%.

Last edited:

AgentKurtz

"Be gone destroyer!"
Seen some match footage of players like lanky struggling with mid command grabs. The height and floatiness of Raiden’s jump 2 will not punish a Geras command grab if you are neutral jumping. You will have to punish with a cross up or short hop.

xRantex

Rante Inferno
If Storm Cell was safe, then I'd think it'd be a cheap move. But it's entirely punishable, so it fits well in terms of risk reward. I don't think it's cheap at all. If you ove rely on D1 storm cell, your opponent is going to pick up on that and blow you up.
Right it's not safe and my point exactly they pick up on it if u over rely so yeah risk/reward definitely. I understand about it being gapless D1 storm cell but it's punishable.

xRantex

Rante Inferno
It's one of the few specials that can be used gapless from a d1 so that makes it among the best moves of its type in the game. I can understand why someone would find that cheap, but since the move is unsafe as you pointed out I think it's fine.
And it can be fuzzied, too.

Raiden's reward is large, but the risk is far greater to him since being wrong also hands them a D2 or other punish KB if they want it.
Yeah I've just been called cheap and a spammer so many times it isn't funny lol.. and that I have no skill. But yeah like mandalore said if I'm called cheap I must be doing something right but how you mentioned it's gapless ig that's why they complain. But also just salty they got caught.

And opponents D2 kb all day against storm cell I've eaten a lot of those lol

Yeah I've just been called cheap and a spammer so many times it isn't funny lol.. and that I have no skill. But yeah like mandalore said if I'm called cheap I must be doing something right but how you mentioned it's gapless ig that's why they complain. But also just salty they got caught.

And opponents D2 kb all day against storm cell I've eaten a lot of those lol
Ignore them. The people who complain are just salty they got caught mashing.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Right it's not safe and my point exactly they pick up on it if u over rely so yeah risk/reward definitely. I understand about it being gapless D1 storm cell but it's punishable.
Not technically gapless. IIRC 6f D1s trades (one party gets knocked down but I don't remember which, I think it's Raiden), so by that principle Discharge would beat it. Although to be fair reversal discharge after pokes is insanely hard to pull off (which is good because it's insanely powerful)

AgentKurtz

"Be gone destroyer!"
Been getting some general gamplan questions in my inbox. For just helpful tips here: I almost never take a risk as Raiden until the opponent's d2 KB is gone. Sometimes I'll deliberately start the match with b12 grab to immediately get the opponent off the d2 KB knowing I can immediately break.

Every risk with Raiden opens him up to a d2 kb as opposed to Potato characters like Kotal Kahn who's mix is gernally in his favor.

The offensive mb tele, while gimmicky I do think is an important part of that mix however and you can bait d2's with it. Almost never see Raidens make use of this.

xRantex

Rante Inferno
Not technically gapless. IIRC 6f D1s trades (one party gets knocked down but I don't remember which, I think it's Raiden), so by that principle Discharge would beat it. Although to be fair reversal discharge after pokes is insanely hard to pull off (which is good because it's insanely powerful)
Yeah that is true, it be a trade where either Raiden or both parties are knocked down. It's happened to me a few times in Kombat league.

xRantex

Rante Inferno
Been getting some general gamplan questions in my inbox. For just helpful tips here: I almost never take a risk as Raiden until the opponent's d2 KB is gone. Sometimes I'll deliberately start the match with b12 grab to immediately get the opponent off the d2 KB knowing I can immediately break.

Every risk with Raiden opens him up to a d2 kb as opposed to Potato characters like Kotal Kahn who's mix is gernally in his favor.

The offensive mb tele, while gimmicky I do think is an important part of that mix however and you can bait d2's with it. Almost never see Raidens make use of this.
That's actually a good idea to get rid of the kb right away and use breakaway for it. And yeah I need to learn the ex tele more I can admit that lol. Kinda been hard to mix it in my game plan. Trying to find purpose for it as well, another Raiden used it on me I believe he ended with far tele.