What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

I've been in strong disagreement with the LS nerf since connecting the dots from the reveal event and at launch. So many other characters have steerable full screen pillar type moves that are all way crazier than Raiden's, and many of those characters have better everything else than Raiden anyways so I don't understand why he's not allowed a similar luxery.

The other moves even get 4 ranges whereas LS is only 3 ranges. It has an amp that only works on hit when previously it could be amped on whiff and block, so my question is what use does it have only on hit other than some different oki when he can just fly your ass into the corner for more damage anyway? Hell, you can't even naturally strike at people after a forward throw without re-positioning, only back throw lines you up for it.

I was looking forward to using LS before launch and now it's pretty much for random checks and getting the cheeky brutality on people.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
I wouldn't say LS is useless, but didn't get nearly the buff I expected either, it's good from FAR out zoning I mean far like full screen, great for zoning and chip damage though I think they should have made this move faster at least I don't even see how this tracks them much better than before to be honest. They really botched his TW over hopefully future patches he'll get buffed in this variation more. They nerfed the recovery by a few frames on his far teleport, why IDK lol. It wasn't even an issue, it's not like it was Scorps busted....NRS really fucked him hard in this game. I use TW but it's an effort to win with this variation. I'm happy for Raijin players though, it's just not my style and Raiden IMO should always have his damn teleport.
Lol if the opponent knows the MU lightning strike will become useless. In those MUs that they can reversal punish you instantly lose a tool for zoning. You can only try to throw it out sparingly and risk eating a punish

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Yeah I don't think that move is great or anything but I play Soultaker/Spellmaster Shang and I played against this low level Raiden playter one time who would go full screen and spam the shit out of lightning strike and bolt and I was taken off guard by much I had to respect it without a way to punish it.

I understand that most matches he can't really do that without risking more on trades and being punished by I'd be wary of buffing the move too much or at all because you don't want to make his zoning too good with that teleport.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Lol if the opponent knows the MU lightning strike will become useless. In those MUs that they can reversal punish you instantly lose a tool for zoning. You can only try to throw it out sparingly and risk eating a punish

They cant punish you fro. Full screen away hes safe, at worst he trades unless they have a teleport.
That's why I only do it at safe distances lol and against only certain characters. The recovery on it is so dumb/slow, but if I need some chip it can be buffered right after a straight lightning blast. It's also good against jumpers keep in mind, if they try to jump from mid or far it's a great AA actually. So definitely wouldn't say useless, just don't use it often and only in certain situations.

Last edited:

Mandolore1123

Am I the only one struggling to perform Raijin's combos consistently, especially online of course.
Easier combos:
Starter~DB4 AMP, F4~BF3 midscreen
Starter (except b31)~DB4 AMP, 2, 243~DB2 corner

Both work on female and make hurtboxes but the corner one you need to start very close or else his s2 will not connect and you have to use the midscreen version.

Black Chapters

Legend of Legaia Main
Incomplete is a good word.

Why doesn't he use his staff in more than 1.3 moves?

Why doesn't he use his lightning to extend range like Cetrion or fucking Sonya?

Why does he have the dumbest air projectile rules with Lightning Storm?

Why is Lightning Rod even in the game?

Why is a god so slow with his power, Sonya can spit Sonic Rings out while hes dancing and getting smacked.

Why are his KBs so ass?

I can go on.

Very few people have been screwed over by this variant crap more than Raiden.

MKF30

Incomplete is a good word.

Why doesn't he use his staff in more than 1.3 moves?

Why doesn't he use his lightning to extend range like Cetrion or fucking Sonya?

Why does he have the dumbest air projectile rules with Lightning Storm?

Why is Lightning Rod even in the game?

Why is a god so slow with his power, Sonya can spit Sonic Rings out while hes dancing and getting smacked.

Why are his KBs so ass?

I can go on.

Very few people have been screwed over by this variant crap more than Raiden.
Damn straight! And to add insult to injury they buff everyone else except TW Raiden lol like WTF NRS?

I feel like Sparkport should have been a base move for Raiden alone, giving him a claim on that kind of teleport makes more sense to me.
That said, it would completely change how the character is designed and is probably a result of them having an easier time making variation moves without always having to dance around his teleport.

That said, I think it was the easy way out. I agree that teleporting should be Raiden's "thing".

Last edited:

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
So i played Kombat League last night and I encountered not one or two, but four Raiden players! I was so stocked, even though I lost to three of them. They all used Thunder Wave. It was awesome, trying to keep track of all the teleporting made my head spin haha. Reminded me of Raiden mirrors in MK9 (i didn't play Displacer in MKX).

So i played Kombat League last night and I encountered not one or two, but four Raiden players! I was so stocked, even though I lost to three of them. They all used Thunder Wave. It was awesome, trying to keep track of all the teleporting made my head spin haha. Reminded me of Raiden mirrors in MK9 (i didn't play Displacer in MKX).
I'm encountering more Raiden's since the patch as well. Also less Scorpions and more Dvorahs.

Interestingly a lot of Raidens I've played have different playing styles.

Compared to when I play against, Geras, Subzero or Erron Black it's like I'm playing against the same guy controlling the opponent every time.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Yeah his U3 wake up is hot garbage, there's other vids out there I think braindead posted one where his U3 gets stuffed out by Erron Black's B222 string. It's so dumb.
Kitana's U2 is hot garbage. It's basically useless for anything other than maybe if someone is trying really hard to keep crossing you up. Every time I've tried, it fails to deliver anything but wiffs wrapped in sadness, and that includes in what are normally safe to do FB into U2 options for other characters. This thing ¯\(ツ)

It's interesting tech, but it doesn't change much about the situation. It's not an OS where you lose multiple options. It's just one way to take away this one option that is not supposed to be guaranteed to be safe. You can still U2 or mash out to blow it up. The basic read game is still going on, and who makes the better read about who is going to do what is going to win. At least, I'm not currently seeing how this actually narrows the options down.

There are lots of character specific U3 counter options depending on who is going for one. I don't see this is any different than me backdashing to bait JB's, or doing a Flawless block against Jade's to make it -11.

Radien's U3 has better range than many, is super safe at -4 and is barely unsafe on FB at -9. It shouldn't matter what the counter play is if it all boils down to betting on if they will try to meaty you or go for a generic anti-wakeup option. I know it's not the only situation you are referencing, and I don't have a long list of worse U3's, but I think Hot garbage is a little strong.

MKF30

Kitana's U2 is hot garbage. It's basically useless for anything other than maybe if someone is trying really hard to keep crossing you up. Every time I've tried, it fails to deliver anything but wiffs wrapped in sadness, and that includes in what are normally safe to do FB into U2 options for other characters. This thing ¯\(ツ)

It's interesting tech, but it doesn't change much about the situation. It's not an OS where you lose multiple options. It's just one way to take away this one option that is not supposed to be guaranteed to be safe. You can still U2 or mash out to blow it up. The basic read game is still going on, and who makes the better read about who is going to do what is going to win. At least, I'm not currently seeing how this actually narrows the options down.

There are lots of character specific U3 counter options depending on who is going for one. I don't see this is any different than me backdashing to bait JB's, or doing a Flawless block against Jade's to make it -11.

Radien's U3 has better range than many, is super safe at -4 and is barely unsafe on FB at -9. It shouldn't matter what the counter play is if it all boils down to betting on if they will try to meaty you or go for a generic anti-wakeup option. I know it's not the only situation you are referencing, and I don't have a long list of worse U3's, but I think Hot garbage is a little strong.
Yeah some characters wake ups are horrible in this game, I've whiffed with Raiden's and Jade's as well at times someone is in the air or crossing me up and it just whiffs for no reason lol. I don't use Kitana, I used her like a few days the first week but I believe it. This is an issue in general with this game, the fact that everyone has a different wake up animation is stupid if you ask me. some have range, others don't, most whiff or don't even hit. U2 in general sucks you hardly even see it used, has no armor and just feels unfinished. I personally am not a huge fan of the wake ups in this game in general honestly. Especially if you get locked in the corner. U2 to me is a risk vs reward kind of move and most of the time seems more risky than not honestly.

The animation of Raiden's U3 has decent pushback, safe etc but still has problems when it just goes through advancing strings like Black's B222 and other cases where it literally does nothing. I've had a few bad experiences myself where I got screwed over. When it works, sure it's good but when it doesn't it sucks. I personally find the delayed wake up one of the best if not the best option in this game since the other options you can get punished badly if your opponent expects it or knows the properties of the wake up attack. I'm not saying it's the worst in the game but it's definitely not the best either, let's put it that way not when it whiffs entirely against someone crowding the shit out of you. There's a problem then lol

Mandolore1123

So is Raiden's. I don't understand why we have U2's in the game that can be easily jumped, and U3's that are better anti-airs than several characters' U2.
Not to mention his D2, which doesn’t autocorrect for some reason when opponents try to jump over you

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
So is Raiden's. I don't understand why we have U2's in the game that can be easily jumped, and U3's that are better anti-airs than several characters' U2.
Im fine with questioning the general utility of u2's, but as someone that plays both these characters I'm not on board with saying his u2 is anywhere near the same level of garbage hers is.

His has such strong forward position that it's poor at preventing cross ups or someone jumping on your head. Once you accept that and even leverage that, then you can make it work for you.

Namely, that step forward makes it far more reliable in FBU2 situations where she steps back and can't cash in on many FB situations. Hers has far poorer verticality than it appears to have and people can easily be too high to hit just as easily as they can be too far in front.

Hers just doesn't hit much of anything under any situation. I wouldn't be surprised if it worked well as an FBU2 antiair, but I'm not doing those and can't speak to if that keeps it from being about as useless a move as could exist.

It is true garbage and meh and bad moves shouldn't be so insulted as to be equated to it.