What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

DDutchguy

Raiden enthusiast
There are a couple things I’d like to say about the patch notes. Note that I have not labbed all this myself yet so this is just a post abiut the changes in theory:

• Thunder Wave got 2 changes: First, teleport now has 21 frames of recovery from 19. We’ll have to be more careful about using teleport now.
  • Second, Lightning Strike amplified now tracks the opponent. This could be very interesting if this means Lightning Strike amp now comes out on block, as it did not pre-patch. Could make Thunder Wave’s zoning threat a lot stronger and makes normal Lightning Strike better due to the threat of an amplify. If someone is able, please lab this and get back to me (close to midnight on my end so I’m off soon).
  • Raijin got hella changes. There is of course the major nerf of Discharge now being 6 frames rather than 4. So on reversal, we now no longer have a 3-frame reversal but a 5-frame one. This means we can no longer punish moves that are -4 or -5 with it. Pretty substantial change, as Raijin can now no longer punish a crazy amount of moves.
  • But we got other stuff too boyz, Electric Burst has a use! If Quick Charge is on, it gets a LOT of pushback. This makes Raijin a lot safer now. HOWEVER, someone please check if this makes B12~Electric Burst completely safe. Electric Burst also has 2 more frames of startup, so maybe B12~Electric Burst can be poked out of or flawless blocked.
  • We have Raijin midscreen combos! No doubt less than Thunder Wave, but low staff’s amplify now combos if Quick Charge is on. Neato.
  • Discharge amped had its hit regions adjusted. Wonder if this means it is now fully safe on block and can no longer be punished if you crouch block in a certain way (was posible pre-patch).

Marlow

Premium
Premium Supporter
Raijin got hella changes. There is of course the major nerf of Discharge now being 6 frames rather than 4. So on reversal, we now no longer have a 3-frame reversal but a 5-frame one. This means we can no longer punish moves that are -4 or -5 with it. Pretty substantial change, as Raijin can now no longer punish a crazy amount of moves.
I'm actually pretty bummed about this, him being able to punish -4 or -5 frame moves was pretty cool. Honestly I'd probably be happier if they kept it at 4 and Electric current didn't launch.

DDutchguy

Raiden enthusiast
I'm actually pretty bummed about this, him being able to punish -4 or -5 frame moves was pretty cool. Honestly I'd probably be happier if they kept it at 4 and Electric current didn't launch.
It is what it is. 4 frames was kiiinda too fast as it seemed to shut down the opponent's to a large extent. You could punish a bunch of pokes for instance. I think Raijin was crazy unfun to play against lol

These buffs seem like decent compensation however and a 5-frame reversal is still nothing to scoff at. Stuff like Jax's F21+3 can still be punished so it's something.

• Raiden - Discharge startup is now 6 frames (from 4), has 1 more active frame, hit reaction has been adjusted so hit advantage is the same if done on grounded or airborne opponents

glad i quit the game...
6f is still fast and it also buffs his other 2 moves in this variation. Discharge makes df2 safe and makes db4 a launcher so we can now get combos from mid screen instead of having to get them in the corner just to get some dmg.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
I think only far teleport has had its recovery increased. Like all the far teleports in the game it seems.
They didn’t fix his frames though, so his up-close game still suffers. Fly cancels are still negative as hell, F3 pressure is still fake, lightning strike is still death on block or whiff and BF1 is still very slow :(

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
I’d be more inclined to use Raijin now in certain MUs now though. Maybe against Liu Kang or D’vorah?

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Ehh I think his variations are very different and both have merit. That teleport is really good.

But hey look, now Raiden has a meterlessly safe B12 in Raijen as long as Quick Charge is up. And he's got dammy

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Premium Supporter
Interesting how they buffed his Raijin variation but hardly touched his Thunder Wave(that most Raiden players use up until now more will use Raijin probably) I'm happy for those who use Rajin, but hopefully in the future they'll touch up his TW variation as well. At least we got tracking lightning strike when amped. lol They actually slowed down his recovery on far teleport...why IDK lol. But whatever. I'll still use him, here's hoping his brother will be better.

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
You can hit confirm the staff launcher off any hit confirmable string. This is a legit mid screen launcher now. So the easiest would be B1,2 Staff Launch -> ender.
That's going off what's possible in PC right now. I won't have the patch for a few days to lab the optimals.

Sub in whatever other starters you want:

Mid Screen (Female OK)
f4~db4, f2, 12~db2 = 345 dmg 1 bar
f4~db4, f2, 12~fly = 335 dmg 1 bar and corner carry

Mid Screen (Men Only)
b31~db4amp*, f2, 12~db2 = 339 dmg (fly for girls, 329)

* this will not launch in the corner, so Thunder Wave has the edge here off low starter

Corner (Female OK)
f4~db4amp, f3, 243~db2 = 364dmg 1 bar (390 2 bars)
f4~db4amp, f3, 243~df2 = 343dmg and hard knockdown 1 bar

Sad part is none of the Raijin changes can be used for KB combos.

Last edited:
Guys....Am I crazy or Raijin now has the potential to be a very annoying variation to deal with.

I tested electric burst now and you literally can press any shit and cancel into EB and you are safe, with cheap damage.

We literally can spam f4 EB, F2 EB allll day.

Last edited:

DDutchguy

Raiden enthusiast
Guys....Am I crazy or Raijin now has the potential to be a very annoying variation to deal with.

I tested electric burst now and you literally can press any shit and cancel into EB and you are safe, with cheap damage.

We literally can spam f4 EB, F2 EB allll day.
Sometimes Electric Burst might have a flawless block gap if you special cancel it, keep that in mind.