What's new

General/Other - Dualist Liu Kang: Dualist General Discussion

onemic

Noob
I heard that Liu Kang is very similar to the playstyle of Fei Long in SF4. How do they compare? Im a Fei main and any character that is similar to him him I'd really like to play.(currently playing Kotal)

If he is similar to Fei, which of his variations would you recommend? Dualist seems interesting, but im unsure of its advantages.

II will make a video for duelist. I want people to understand why he has potential and stop writing him off

I might be maining Kano though
A video would be greatly appreciated. I've messed around this variation since launch, but have yet to test out any real set ups or tech in a real match. I'd love to have a visual reference for it.

I just messed with this character variation for a while, I really really love dark mode! That ball is gonna end up so useful imo. It seems to have some pretty juicy setups for meaty pressure, combos, even other weird stuff like letting it pass behind the opponent and then pushing them backward into it, or leaving it right in front of yourself and moving forward so that if you get hit, the opponent will move forward into it. I didn't expect to have any interest in Liu Kang but I actually really like dualist dark!

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I just messed with this character variation for a while, I really really love dark mode! That ball is gonna end up so useful imo. It seems to have some pretty juicy setups for meaty pressure, combos, even other weird stuff like letting it pass behind the opponent and then pushing them backward into it, or leaving it right in front of yourself and moving forward so that if you get hit, the opponent will move forward into it. I didn't expect to have any interest in Liu Kang but I actually really like dualist dark!
Nice to see a guy like yourself move away from grapplers for kang.

My favorite is having the life lead and placing orbs right in front of me while they try to get in. The mind games are great. Plus the frame traps are godlike.

Nice to see a guy like yourself move away from grapplers for kang.

My favorite is having the life lead and placing orbs right in front of me while they try to get in. The mind games are great. Plus the frame traps are godlike.
Yeah for sure. I was quite surprised to see that few people here think this variation has much potential, so, good on you! I hope we're right heh.

Was just working on recording a setup for dark mode but my execution gets too weak sometimes to even do this, so, here it is in writing:

113, any combo that ends in a cancelable pop up* xx fireball, stop fireball (immediately if in corner, a little later if midscreen), meaty bicycle kick, ball explodes, free high/low/throw mixup

The bicycle kick is a sick meaty attack because it goes over many wakeups and straight beats lots of others because it does so many hits so quickly that it beats armor. Meaty bicycle chases backdash as well. Against wakeups that do beat it, like Kung Lao ex spin, the ball explodes to punish the recovery of the opponent's wakeup. If the opponent blocks, they take a bunch of chip from bicycle, bicycle lands, then the fireball explodes to keep the opponent in blockstun, and then you get a free mixup of back+2 overhead, back+4 low, whatever.

*lots of possibilities work here: 111, another 113, b44, f21, etc. In the corner you can do a long corner combo and still have this work, like one time I did 113, 1, 1, 1, 1, 111 xx fireball. Assy damage but that wasn't really the point. I haven't really looked into what good combos he has, but I'm sure whatever it is will work for this in the corner as long as the last hit is cancelable.

I'm sure we'll improve on this, but it's a nice proof of concept for now!

Do balls explode faster when Liu Kang is fully charged up? It kinda looks like it. If not then this combo is totally practical for less damage, which would still be good.

perfectghast

Just throw it out, and hope for the best!
Because of reasons that include but not limited too swag combos, high dmg and a lot of fun I'm going to practice this variation and the set ups, I'll captured my ranked games once I have my stuff down. I was a cyrax player in mk9 and I loved set ups and high dmg combos so this fits me perfect :)

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Ok that's good to know. Does each level of charge decrease the fuse time? Like if level 1 charge makes a useful fuse timer difference then that'd be really great.
1 charge reduces it some, 2 more and 3 is almost instant. Mb 3 lv is instant.

I need to make a video tonight about this.