What's new

General/Other - Dualist Liu Kang: Dualist General Discussion

HMD

Noob
Sooo... I was in training mode trying to practice against teleports, and I noticed (not full 100% if this true or not) that blocking nullifies the damage aspect of Yang (db3 in Dark metamorphosis), but you still get the time reduction on Dark spheres. I've only been able to test this on special moves but I would assmue it's any type.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I've seen that some stuff connects with stance cancels (d,d+1) I'm trying to figure out if there are any lows that can be stance cancelled into combo strings that will just to get more damage in combos. From all the vids it seems like his lows only lead to standing combos outside of the corner.
In Duelist you are correct I think

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Sooo... I was in training mode trying to practice against teleports, and I noticed (not full 100% if this true or not) that blocking nullifies the damage aspect of Yang (db3 in Dark metamorphosis), but you still get the time reduction on Dark spheres. I've only been able to test this on special moves but I would assmue it's any type.
hmmm sounds like a glitch to me. I know on hit it all goes away but I didn't know blocking did it too

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Why the fuck does he lose his damage buff in dark form if he gets hit? He has to commit to getting it, and you're hardly ever going to get a full yang charge.

So far I think Dualist is his weakest variation. Worse practical damage than Dragons Fire, worse zoning that Flame Fist, and dark orbs are gimmicky and rely on the opponents ignorance to work.

jordan ewell

BlakBoywonder
Why the fuck does he lose his damage buff in dark form if he gets hit? He has to commit to getting it, and you're hardly ever going to get a full yang charge.

So far I think Dualist is his weakest variation. Worse practical damage than Dragons Fire, worse zoning that Flame Fist, and dark orbs are gimmicky and rely on the opponents ignorance to work.
I don't think it's as bad as it sounds. It will take a little conditioning but between all of the stance change frame traps and trickery you'll find ways to set up orbs, with and without meter. And charging for damage doesn't take very long. I think it has lots of potential and it will probably be my go to variation.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I don't think it's as bad as it sounds. It will take a little conditioning but between all of the stance change frame traps and trickery you'll find ways to set up orbs, with and without meter. And charging for damage doesn't take very long. I think it has lots of potential and it will probably be my go to variation.
It takes really long to get full charged damage buff. And I don't think the orbs are scary at all because they have no blockstun, I don't know why NRS choose to make it like that. His 50/50 isn't scary either.

What are his stance change frame traps?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game

The frame traps in this variation are better than either of the others.

his mid screen punisher is 30% meterless into a standing +28 50/50. What else could you want? For a bar of meter he can extend block pressure into an extra 5% into the same situation.

jordan ewell

BlakBoywonder

his mid screen punisher is 30% meterless into a standing +28 50/50. What else could you want? For a bar of meter he can extend block pressure into an extra 5% into the same situation.
Could you give me the notation for the 30% mid screen punisher you use?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Could you give me the notation for
It is 112 cs f44 BK (all this is on hit) 24% and at +28
follow that up with the 50/50 b2 or f4

or

go for f213 cs f44 db2 (this does 6%)

So 6% of the damage is on block but you have many ways to mix this up that can lead to even more damage if you can outthink your opponent.

Some people wouldn't call this a combo but I consider any unescapable damage part of the combo. It will take some practice to get it right but once you do it will be fun.

jordan ewell

BlakBoywonder
It is 112 cs f44 BK (all this is on hit) 24% and at +28
follow that up with the 50/50 b2 or f4

or

go for f213 cs f44 db2 (this does 6%)

So 6% of the damage is on block but you have many ways to mix this up that can lead to even more damage if you can outthink your opponent.

Some people wouldn't call this a combo but I consider any unescapable damage part of the combo. It will take some practice to get it right but once you do it will be fun.
Thanks man. I just really wish we had some nice low combo options to go with that overhead. But I guess once we start to get the hang of orb set ups it will get better

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.

What frame traps? If you're referring to the orbs then they are gimmicky. And the issue I have is that yeah he gets that, but he gets the same in flame fist between low fireball or b2, which add 10% more to the combo. Flame Fist greatly augments his zoning and footsies, but I just can't find anything that justifies Dualist over it.

jordan ewell

BlakBoywonder
What frame traps? If you're referring to the orbs then they are gimmicky. And the issue I have is that yeah he gets that, but he gets the same in flame fist between low fireball or b2, which add 10% more to the combo. Flame Fist greatly augments his zoning and footsies, but I just can't find anything that justifies Dualist over it.
By frame traps he means the act of special canceling strings on block into stance change to get advantage back. It also lets you combos some things together that can't normally be comboed. All of the uses hasn't been found out but it's gonna take a little time. This isn't an easy variation to use

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
By frame traps he means the act of special canceling strings on block into stance change to get advantage back. It also lets you combos some things together that can't normally be comboed. All of the uses hasn't been found out but it's gonna take a little time. This isn't an easy variation to use
Your right that it's not an easy variation. Definitely his hardest to grasp, and I hope I'm wrong about this variation being his worst. But Flame Fist gets more damage from the standing reset into a 50/50 as well and has much better zoning. I think Dualist will be quite MU dependent.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Your right that it's not an easy variation. Definitely his hardest to grasp, and I hope I'm wrong about this variation being his worst. But Flame Fist gets more damage from the standing reset into a 50/50 as well and has much better zoning. I think Dualist will be quite MU dependent.
Does it get more damage for a standing reset? I agree mostly. I have a feeling the frame advantage on mb FK will be nerfed andit will even out the variations

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Does it get more damage for a standing reset? I agree mostly. I have a feeling the frame advantage on mb FK will be nerfed andit will even out the variations
Yes it gets, about 4% more, then the opportunity to add 10%.

Or you can go for the same amount of damage for a 3/4 screen hard knockdown to either continue zoning with better space or run up for oki.

Dualist is basically the best of both worlds from Flame Fist and Dragon's Fire. It has better fireballs and damage power ups from FF variation and BK from DF variation. It's really hard to say that his most advanced variation that gives him MUCH more tools in one variation is his worst one at this moment. Flame Fist losing BK is a huge blow to his combos and overall damage, which means he has to shorten them to go into Shaolin Flame. With Dualist you can have both and screen/knockdown control with orbs.

Shake

Noob
How are you guys liking Liu Kang so far? I'm still trying to figure out someone who to main. I'm pretty new to fighting games so looking for someone who's not too complex and doesn't have insanely hard inputs but stylistically I like more aggressive characters.

jordan ewell

BlakBoywonder
How are you guys liking Liu Kang so far? I'm still trying to figure out someone who to main. I'm pretty new to fighting games so looking for someone who's not too complex and doesn't have insanely hard inputs but stylistically I like more aggressive characters.
I think liu kang in this game is a lot more complex than in the previous game.( that can be said for almost everyone though because of the 3 variations. You have to work a bit harder for more damage in this game initially I think. I love the character though. Character loyalist

jkd626619mma

C88 Kajukenbo
So I had about 10 hours on Friday with Duelist where I played @Pig Of The Hut mostly and had some practice time. I also had about 2 hours today with smarr and homelee and have a few thoughts to share.

I can't stop thinking about how I can make this variation successful and what setups and strats will be effective so I am just going to put my thoughts on paper and talk it out with guys who already are playing him like @Cat and guys who are thirsty for knowledge about Liu Kang.

Also because I don't remember the names of stuff I'll use input numbers and made up names.

"LIGHT" stance:
In Duelist you start off in the game in light stance which gives you access to 3 unique moves.

1) high fireball - decent basic fireball but nothing special. EX version knocks down and is very very plus on block so you can use as a good frame trap on block. In the corner if it hits you can juggle after for a decent combo. It can also be done in the air.

2) low fireball - No EX version but other than that it is the same as above.

3) heal chant - This moves heals you at .05% ever little bit. I mean...if you have a time out on your hands and you want to troll or get a little bit of life back real quick. It cannot be cancelled into any specials or X-ray but it can be dashed forwards or backwards out of it. I think that is kinda dumb and overall it seems more useless than Cyborgs ever was.

Combos don't seem to change and but the value of this variation is having two stances that work better against different variations but it all being in one character. The projectile game in light stance differes so much from dark stance that it can drastically change some MU.

"DARK" stance:
The fireball and setup game is very different here so I'll go through them like above.

1) high orb - This special has NO hitbox until it is cancelled. It travels across the screen at a slower pace and can be stopped at any point in its trajectory with db1. (The moves list says it is fdb 1 but I was able to do it with just db1 thankfully.) Even after it is cancelled, the hitbox doesn't appear right away but rather it acts just like Martian Manhunters regular orbs, exploding after a certain amount of time. When it explodes on block it appears to act as a mid hitting normal that is neutral but on hit pops you up for a combo. This can be done in the air as well.

The MB version does more damage and explodes almost immediately after it is cancelled and is more plus on block. It also grants a pop up and combo on hit.

2) Low orb - Acts 100% like the high orb except that it is lower to the ground. It is not actually a low which is a bummer...however it can be fun to fill the screen with orbs at different heights to fluster your opponent. There is no limit to how many orbs you can have on screen at a time.

3) power charge - has 3 stages and can be held down or cancelled out of by dashing. It actually charges to level 3 rather quickly and can be linked after a string for quickness. It causes the orbs to explode more quickly and do significantly more damage. For example, a MB orbs that hits does 18% damage and pops you up for much more damage.

I much prefer the dark stance when playing pigs kenshi due to his reflect and teleport in possessed variation but against @AK Smarrgasm I had more success (lol don't get your salt on me) with the light stance against his sub zero. Subs ice clone absorbs all projectiles in both stances regardless of if they are cancelled. Kenshi cannot reflect the orbs so each stance has an easier time and I shouldn't have to switch variations as much.

Strategy:

I foundmyself cancelling most strings into his spin fist (db2). It is -1 and causes a far knockdown that lets me set up orbs or run in for oki.

His combos felt limited due to not having many launchers like the variation cat has been using. Once I got people used to seeing the strings into db2 I would cancel mid string to orbs and instant j1 or d1/d3 and do it again. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't but I know execution will be challenging and that it will keep my interest.

I'm hoping someone else has had some time with this variation and can give me new things to try.

Cheers!
OMG YOU ARE AWESOME!!! I thought I was the only liu main who loved dualist. But im having a lot of trouble setting up stuff. I mean my corner game is great but people like KH scar either poke out or go into a full combo as soon as I drop a orb mid block string which kind of makes them useless lol. but omg I never thought about canceling / ending combos into db1 which makes them block then later on ending ing orb. I usually end air combos with a orb or if I do them standing I use ex orb now. also I knew I could combo the light variation fireball in the corner, actually gotta 40% off that one, but I never knew things like f213 ex fb could be a frame trap thank God there is someone else out there that uses dualist liu. I should come on here often im usally on mku lol. if anyone wants to play or help find more set ups add me on ps4 C88_Kajukenbo

jkd626619mma

C88 Kajukenbo
i've been messing with the dark stance. i feel like the light stance is only there to annoy me because the dark stance is much better right now.

I've been going for standing mix up after BK

If i land F44 High Orb stop d1 i was hitting my friend out of most things.

have to go back and make sure it's legit

Right now i'm doing
JP 113 B34 F44 orb
This string sends them flying and you can set the orb where you'd like or charge.

JP 113 B34 BK D2 also gives you some time to set up or switch stance

Today i'll check to see what strings cancelled into stance switch are safe or punishable.
112 safe
F44 safe
yo I use f21 to cancel into stance. his f21 makes ppl scared because you can stagger the last kick and keeps them blocking. for pressure I do f21 ex orb stop then either do it again or do f21 to see if they are expecting the orb. plus it hits mid so it DESTROYS wake ups unless they have armor.

jkd626619mma

C88 Kajukenbo
Some really nice dirt I just found and a few updates.

It seems you can dash out of the charge in dark stance only light.

d4 mb orb holy shit is awesome. Charge adds hella damage to everything and it awesome. Charge as often as you can.

Corner damage:
db3 full charge - Mb orb njp j3 b12 f213 BK = 50%

Mid screen he gets 40%ish too.

MB orb has the same effect as MMH orbs. Place a regular one out to bait movement and then put a mb one where they are going to go. Its fun.
yo can you please add me on the ps4 if you have would love to play with you and see what im doing wrong.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
yo can you please add me on the ps4 if you have would love to play with you and see what im doing wrong.
I'm on xbox :REO

F21 is something I havn't messed with a ton so I'll start practicing that and seeing what I can get off it.
The more I play him I find myself in light stance. I'm going to make an effort to setup orbs and use that more. We all still have tones to learn.

jkd626619mma

C88 Kajukenbo
I'm on xbox :REO

F21 is something I havn't messed with a ton so I'll start practicing that and seeing what I can get off it.
The more I play him I find myself in light stance. I'm going to make an effort to setup orbs and use that more. We all still have tones to learn.
don't know if you know this yet but omg sub is freaking retarded there is no hope for this match up in dualist