What's new

General/Other - Dualist Liu Kang: Dualist General Discussion

kaseyk

Noob
The only thing this has going for it is that you can run cancel out of it and block instantly.
You can use the run cancel just like DF fireball cancels so you can cancel and stay in light stance if you don't want to use switch stance for frame trapping .
I need to get used to doing it still though

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I am just starting to do this and had an issue with my internet yesterday causing me to end my stream after 5 minutes. oh well
I should be good to go now...I bough a new Apple Airport Extreme and it seems the standard settings keep you from playing online for some treason. I was on the phone with Applecare for an hour and a half trying to get it figured. My speeds are off the charts (60mb down and 15mb up) but that damn setting was killing me.

I'll be archiving tons and making youtube videos now from this.

kaseyk

Noob
Raiden is punishable on most special and strings but you have to respect him do to high dmg and his electric fly . You just have to get used to fighting him is all .
raiden is my second semi learned character displacer is super fun lol

perfectghast

Just throw it out, and hope for the best!
So I been playing as Dualist and even though you feel like your at a disadvantage for not having what the other two variations have. I can say that we have better meter building out the ass, soul ball builds better and when you cancel it too!!!!!! so after a f214 cancel in soul ball and cancel it, then set up two more while there away if the come in they'll risk getting hit by one of them. Also the charge can be cancel into its self for meter building too.

jordan ewell

BlakBoywonder
Iv
So I been playing as Dualist and even though you feel like your at a disadvantage for not having what the other two variations have. I can say that we have better meter building out the ass, soul ball builds better and when you cancel it too!!!!!! so after a f214 cancel in soul ball and cancel it, then set up two more while there away if the come in they'll risk getting hit by one of them. Also the charge can be cancel into its self for meter building too.
[/QUOTE
ive been doing instant air soul orb, low soul orb, regular soul orb and canceling. It puts three orbs on screen and stops scared people from approaching. I only do it from full screen though. It's kind of cool how you can fill the screen like that

Using some ideas from this thread, here's some optimal (as far as I can tell so far) corner stuff for 0/1 meter:

22 is a hard knockdown (the dummy was set to roll / quick-stand in both of those videos) so you can set up Dark Sphere for free if you're in Dark stance already.

I can't find any stance change links that work (before launch) other than
112 stance 1
112 stance B1
but there are lots of frame traps and resets possible with it.
edit: now that I think about I don't think I tried 112 stance F1
edit2: 112 cs F1 works in the corner but is pretty useless. 112 cs F44 works midscreen (credit to Chris G for finding/showing it) and is probably the best stance string. 112 cs F213 works in the corner but isn't very useful.
I really wish F44 cs [anything] worked but nothing works. F44 seems to have that same property as bicycle kick where even though you're at massive frame advantage (after cancel) you can't combo off it (and as a non-native NRS player that feels weird and janky to me).

Stance change resets combined with standing Bicycle Kick resets seem really strong:
F44 stance > F4
F44 stance > B2
F44 stance > step forward grab
F44 bicycle kick > same flowchart mixups as above

According to the in-game frame data EX light fireball should frame trap on block into Dragon's Roar (DB2) which is safe (or into anything faster than that if you can time your frame delay).

Last edited:

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I really am losing hope for Dualist. The problem is that in Light form his projectiles are just worse than his other variations, so his simple gameplan of footises and low fireball becomes less effective because the light ball is much easier to react to. He has no damage potential in this form either, so you lose your good damage and zoning for what? A bad heal move.

In Dark form you have to charge your damage boost, but you lose it if you get hit... and you have no projectiles. So you charge it up and then all the opponent has to do is sit and throw projectiles and you either can't utilise the damage boost because you can't get any projectiles out to them or you lose it trying to get in, OR you take it slow and patient and practically lose your damage boost by the time you get in. I wish the dark orbs initially had good block advantage, but the more you charge it the block stun reduces in exchange for a shorter timer and larger damage.

At the moment this variation is just a combo makers dream in most MU's and nothing more imo.

Last edited:

kaseyk

Noob
i feel you @Phosferrax been having trouble making dualist work aswell as df or ff . fun to use but the true frame traps are not good for footsies tools 11 is asking to get poked or uppercutted or worse and f213 has no advance and the 1 in f213 often whiffs leaving a gap for the option select poke .
as for the losing dark buff on poke is straight trash hard to get it out and you lose it on stance switch too something needs to be changed there .
i can manage to get lvl 1 charge pretty easy and lvl 2 but level 3 really needs big setups that are not likely to happen against great players and 95% of the cast in general can just shoot/teleport punish you even with the best setup with the only way to fully charge safely requires you to have 2 balls go off as a juggle , example lvl 1 ball exball charge but good luck right lol

on the bright side most players dont do that and f44 cs f44 works pretty good in real matches .

ive been playing in practice mode very hard trying to better myself in the mu game and the only really good footsy tools are b12 , f3 , f44 .
doing this i figured out how to AA though , you dont lol you have to use your feet to make them whiff slight walk and just ducking work well also a well timed forward dash .

the real

kaseyk

Noob
Some random matches with all variations mostly dualist though .
online can be a struggle for liu lol all easy wins of course :p

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
I'm interested in this variation and have been working on ways to maybe make this viable on corner knockdowns either by stuffing or baiting wakups. I think my knowledge will be huge for this variations. Also since the orbs use now meter(unless you want them to) you can save it for armored attacks or xray(which is +7 on block)

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
Also he has a lot of safe strings which seems to be huge in this game. they are holy but it seems they will need to armor to get through them

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Also he has a lot of safe strings which seems to be huge in this game. they are holy but it seems they will need to armor to get through them
Only f444 and f124 have holes in them iirc. f444 isn't to bad because you can just condition them to let go of block by doing f44 which is safe and then you can sneak the last hit in for the knockdown. It sucks that f12 has such bad cancel advantage though.

AssassiN

Noob
Only f444 and f124 have holes in them iirc. f444 isn't to bad because you can just condition them to let go of block by doing f44 which is safe and then you can sneak the last hit in for the knockdown. It sucks that f12 has such bad cancel advantage though.
113 has a hole as well, right before the overhead.

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
I think I remember setting regular Lao to reversal spin. F21*3 had a gap. One of his b1 strings did too and I remember a gap between the 2 hits of f4

I'll test them again but I think if there's at least 6f to interrupt I'm sure they can backdash.