What's new

General/Other - Liu Kang Liu Kang and recommended nerf / information

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I think people are neglecting that if the opponent blocks low then double dragon kick into EN Bicycle will whiff. Something Mr. Tom "downplayer" Brady didn't analyze.
smh this thread is wasted on people who just simply don't know anything about DF Kang.

Wushu, you can delay mb the FK so it doesn't whiff.

If I have to tell that to one more person I might puke. His pressure is what makes him good. He has the same loop Lao has but it's stamina dependent instead of meter dependant. This means he always has meter.

The way to balance that is to look at what Kang uses meter for. Kang uses meter on mb FK which is +2 and may possibly give him the pressure loop again on the right read against the right characters.

If you nerf FK mb you solve the problem. Make it 0 with some push back and we are good.

This sounds like some salty ass shit right here lol

Better recovery online?? What does that even mean?
lol... mileenas roll being safer on block, liu kangs fireballs recovery is better online, takedas air teleport on wiff is punishable offline if he hits buttons online he gets priority after doing it. Should I mention more?

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
also switch his normal flying kick with Dualist and we have a deal

Maybe slightly more recovery on low fireball

Last edited:

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
I play all three variations and would like to stay that way, making his fk mb on 0 would be fair, but then again, wasting a meter just to be 0 is kind of pointless, but its a sacrifice I'm willing to take. But good god, it's time to fix some of his whiffing normals along with db2 not be low profiled since its a damn mid, its only nerfs he is getting since launch of the game ( well except that time they buffed Flame Fist ) time to fix things that should be working in the first place.

Last edited:

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
I'm not sure why there are so many discussions on this.

Liu Kang, the character with slightly better pressure than Kung Lao, at the cost of;
  • Next to no anti-airs (Kung Lao has the best anti-airs)
  • God awful air-to-air game (Kung Lao is easy top 3 air-to-air)
  • A neutral game thats not even half as good
  • Lack of armored launcher reversal (Kung Lao has arguably the second best one)
Liu Kang vs Takeda is truly the only problem because its extremely one-sided. And even still st9rm shows us how proper spacing can still make the matchup winnable. FK MB to neutral is the easy solution, and the right one, but I would even argue that Takeda is the problem and he desperately needs some better armored reversals in a game so dependent on pressure.

People throw around the word "infinite" like its nothing, when it carries such an extreme definition to everyone. By the same logic Liu Kang can "infinite half the cast" so can Lackey Ferra Torr in the corner with D1. Funny enough, Liu Kang of all characters would actually have the most problem with that because where he excels (pressure) he has some extremely mediocre pokes. Dare I say that having to be frame perfect on B1 or D1 to beat F/T D1 in corner is the same excuse that originally fueled the argument of Kenshi having to be frame perfect against LK? Nerf Lackey? Yeah right.

Even the comentators said it. he made 2 cancels then xbiciclekick to recover stamina, then repeat, DJT does have match knowleadge.
I explained this at end of the video, there is no infinite. This is the Liu Kang community telling you :D I understand why you think it though by listening to people. I don't blame you, but they are wrong :( :) . But back to topic is there anyway to let Paulo know about this? Anyone? :eek: :) , I hope this doesn't fall on deaf ears :/ :(

Spencer

Always Training
Sounds good to me +0 on MB flying Kick.

Cool then people will start to notice how Tanya does almost the same thing except way better ... And has so many more options then Liu Lmao

I do agree with this though.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
lol... mileenas roll being safer on block, liu kangs fireballs recovery is better online, takedas air teleport on wiff is punishable offline if he hits buttons online he gets priority after doing it. Should I mention more?
No that's just your inability to compensate for the lag and react slightly quicker. That's not shaving off recovery frames. that's just shitty netcode.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
how ever you put it, the characters get helped by online, thats what it is.
That's every character. Kung laos spin, liu Kang low fireball, Tanya full rekkas, johnnys nut punch, raidens superman, every single slide in the game.

Every single character (except maybe Jason lol) has something abusable due to lag, not just the characters you have the most trouble with. All of them.

But anyways lets not derail the topic any further.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Probably because it's further fueled by irrelevant apologist crap by Liu Kang players themselves apparently.

Refer to red:
Liu Kang, the character with slightly better pressure than Kung Lao, at the cost of;
  • Next to no anti-airs (Kung Lao has the best anti-airs) - You ever tried pressing down and 2 simultaneously?
  • God awful air-to-air game (Kung Lao is easy top 3 air-to-air) - if you're referring to Lao's J2 here, as an air to air it's actually quite meh due to almost everyone else's jump punches being faster to the, well..... punch. Because of the way recovery properties on instant air attacks change after the start of combo you can buffer air Fireball between J1 and convert if it does hit.
  • A neutral game thats not even half as good - This means nothing without elaborating in detail.
  • Lack of armored launcher reversal (Kung Lao has arguably the second best one) - Dragon's Fire has two pseudo-safe armored reversals to work with, if Lao's reversal is scouted, he's getting punished, no two ways about it. If you really want an armored launcher, that's essentially what Flame Fist is for.

Seriously, is it still April 2015? I'm surprised you didn't mention his "7% unsafe overhead, not even a HKD doooood"

Tweedy

Noob

• Next to no anti-airs (Kung Lao has the best anti-airs)
  • God awful air-to-air game (Kung Lao is easy top 3 air-to-air)
  • A neutral game thats not even half as good
  • Lack of armored launcher reversal (Kung Lao has arguably the second best one)
Liu Kang vs Takeda is truly the only problem because its extremely one-sided. And even still st9rm shows us how proper spacing can still make the matchup winnable. FK MB to neutral is the easy solution, and the right one, but I would even argue that Takeda is the problem and he desperately needs some better armored reversals in a game so dependent on pressure.

People throw around the word "infinite" like its nothing, when it carries such an extreme definition to everyone. By the same logic Liu Kang can "infinite half the cast" so can Lackey Ferra Torr in the corner with D1. Funny enough, Liu Kang of all characters would actually have the most problem with that because where he excels (pressure) he has some extremely mediocre pokes. Dare I say that having to be frame perfect on B1 or D1 to beat F/T D1 in corner is the same excuse that originally fueled the argument of Kenshi having to be frame perfect against LK? Nerf Lackey? Yeah right.

Next to no anti-airs(Kung Lao has the best anti-airs)

Best D2 in the game isn't a good anti air, is it? Kung Lao needs meter for his EX spin. His normal spin gets blown up by things that Liu Kang's D2 destroys, every time.

God awful air-to-air game (Kung Lao is easy top 3 air-to-air)

Liu Kang has instant air fireballs. If you're jumping at people with jump kicks and jump punches with Liu Kang, you're playing the character wrong. He doesn't need to engage in a close air to air battle. Play Kung Lao and jump at people with his jump 2. You'll lose almost every exchange when you're in range of their jump punch, even vs Liu Kang. His J2 has a 10 frame start up. You'll see the best Kung Lao's jump back with his J2.

I know Kung Lao gets a full combo off of his jump 2. I'm just trying to shine light on why Kang isn't weak in these areas. Not downplaying Kung Lao.

A neutral game thats not even half as good

How is his neutral game not good when he has great projectiles? Projectiles are great at dictating the neutral, especially when you can do instant airs that shutdown jumping. Lets also not forget that Kang has top 3 movement speed. Advancing mids aren't everything on Mortal Kombat X. Shinnok is supposed to have some of the best spacing in the game. Where is his 11 frame or less advancing mid?

Lack of armored launcher reversal (Kung Lao has arguably the second best one)

To throw out your "Kung Lao has arguably the second best one" argument right away, EX flip kick and EX punch walk. Obviously there are a few more that have a case for being better than EX spin, like Tremor's EX shatter in Crystalline that's + on block. You can blow that up, though(still, + on block lol). EX flip kick and punch walk on the other hand cannot be blown up(i'm sure something that isn't practical might be possible) and are safe. If you debate that EX spin is better than either of those moves, well.

I don't play Liu Kang, but I believe he has a few armored moves that are safe on block, right? So instead of an armored move that's incredibly punishable, he has a move, or moves, that can't be punished. The trade off is that they don't launch. Although, even on block a mind game is opened up, and on hit, Kang gets his pressure. Not saying this should be preferred in Mortal Kombat X over a very punishable armored move, even though it might be, but it's not that bad of a deal.

Next to no anti-airs(Kung Lao has the best anti-airs)

Best D2 in the game isn't a good anti air, is it? Kung Lao needs meter for his EX spin. His normal spin gets blown up by things that Liu Kang's D2 destroys, every time.

God awful air-to-air game (Kung Lao is easy top 3 air-to-air)

Liu Kang has instant air fireballs. If you're jumping at people with jump kicks and jump punches with Liu Kang, you're playing the character wrong. He doesn't need to engage in a close air to air battle. Play Kung Lao and jump at people with his jump 2. You'll lose almost every exchange when you're in range of their jump punch, even vs Liu Kang. His J2 has a 10 frame start up. You'll see the best Kung Lao's jump back with his J2.

I know Kung Lao gets a full combo off of his jump 2. I'm just trying to shine light on why Kang isn't weak in these areas. Not downplaying Kung Lao.

A neutral game thats not even half as good

How is his neutral game not good when he has great projectiles? Projectiles are great at dictating the neutral, especially when you can do instant airs that shutdown jumping. Lets also not forget that Kang has top 3 movement speed. Advancing mids aren't everything on Mortal Kombat X. Shinnok is supposed to have some of the best spacing in the game. Where is his 11 frame or less advancing mid?

Lack of armored launcher reversal (Kung Lao has arguably the second best one)

To throw out your "Kung Lao has arguably the second best one" argument right away, EX flip kick and EX punch walk. Obviously there are a few more that have a case for being better than EX spin, like Tremor's EX shatter in Crystalline that's + on block. You can blow that up, though(still, + on block lol). EX flip kick and punch walk on the other hand cannot be blown up(i'm sure something that isn't practical might be possible) and are safe. If you debate that EX spin is better than either of those moves, well.

I don't play Liu Kang, but I believe he has a few armored moves that are safe on block, right? So instead of an armored move that's incredibly punishable, he has a move, or moves, that can't be punished. The trade off is that they don't launch. Although, even on block a mind game is opened up, and on hit, Kang gets his pressure. Not saying this should be preferred in Mortal Kombat X over a very punishable armored move, even though it might be, but it's not that bad of a deal.
Can't you guys make a different thread for this lol jeez :,(