What's new

Lex theorycrafting zone.

MKK hanzo

Lex said:
cant play on bruno 6 button layout
I have 2 cabs on my house with the original layout, humberto has 2 dedicated cabs, rzp has another and I think that other friend has another one. Enough?

hahahah bruno

Tim Static

Adminerator
why dont the MKK team fly up to Columbus next October for Seasons Beatings 5?

SB5 will be the first UMK3 US National Championship ;)

MKK hanzo

Tim Static said:
why dont the MKK team fly up to Columbus next October for Seasons Beatings 5?

SB5 will be the first UMK3 US National Championship ;)
Tim, if we could believe me we will be the first to be there. Thing is that to get out of here you need to do so many stupid stuff thx to the stupid dictator we have here. Picture cuban residents but with money and ABSOLUTELY no right to have US$. That simple.

We are "allowed" 499 US$ for internet shoppings, 2.500 US$ for trips outside of the country BUT we can only afford, for example, 60 bucks DALILY if we travel to any American country. So the farther we travel, the more US$ of our "allowed" money trip we can expend.

For ppl to understand: Our money ISNT ours, and we cannot sped it how we like it JUST on what they allow us.

We cannot buy for example in Panama, cheap watches, cologne, electronics etc for reselling, we CANNOT travel with more than 100 US$ in cash. BTW when we travel and are in the airport, we have to even take our clothes OFF for the Venezuelan army to check us to see if we have more US$ in cash. If we do: jail.

I could fill an entire forum with all the BS this government has brought here, and aside from the every day rising high cost life here, the violency on the streets have reached levels of almost a civil war. In my state for example this past weekend were reported 48 gun shot deaths.

More than a war. In only ONE state. And the government does NOTHING but buy weapons to "defend against the empire" lol... I really wish "the empire" bombed this shit to end this fucking nightmare.

Sorry for derrailing the thread guys but I had to get off that...

Sucks to be here right now. Believe me.

Tim Static

Adminerator
wow Pedro....you guys stay safe. I hope something good can happen to you and your country's terrible situation.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
You guys (MKK) should setup a PayPal account that you "buy" stuff from and it constantly accumulates money that converts to US$...so when you come here or anywhere, you will have fallback cash. Just get a PayPal debit card.

Or you could open an overseas account like in the movies LOL

Seriously though...that really sucks what is happening in your country right now. Scary stuff.

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
Nice thread, Lex
Please keep posting useful stuff
sup everybody? jeje sucks to be there then, hanzo? sorry, man, hope things get better there, don get ME started with that political BS jajajajajaa

MKK hanzo

NinjaGrinder said:
Nice thread, Lex
Please keep posting useful stuff
sup everybody? jeje sucks to be there then, hanzo? sorry, man, hope things get better there, don get ME started with that political BS jajajajajaa
Thx for the tip Konqrr really.

Grinder: I will move to Colombia to live/play you guys hehe no really I could do that if things keep getting worse here. Its our best option for being here close...

And again sorry Lex for derailing the thread. We love you.

As an on topic stuff:

It would bve VERY GOOD to have a video match analisys thread. We post a match and describe why/what was going on and what/why we do stuff and describe high level strats etc.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
With or without Lex, I'm going to revive this thread. It's the most useful tool we could have to keeping this community breathing and helping players get better. My final goal before I eventually quit UMK3 is to be satisfied with helping as many people get better as I can. I very badly wanted to write a high level guide, but I found that I keep finding more and more that I never knew before just by playing different people... so I held off on that for now.

For the time being, I'm going to post some advanced/expert tips and strategies that I don't or rarely see written or done anywhere else. This might be hard to explain some things without video, but I will try. I wouldn't present this information if I didn't feel it could be useful, if not devastating in the right hands. It's kinda ironic that I remember Lex used to say you shouldn't share your secrets. Here goes nothing:

- The best defense is offense. If a player is using a character like USub, Sheeva, or Scorpion that typically leave the last hit off of an autocombo to continue their rushdown... usually the best option to snuff this is to rapidly tap HK while you are taking damage from their autocombo. As they purposely leave the last hit off of the combo, your kick should come out just as your frames are done recovering from the beating. On occasion, the opponent will go for a sweep right after ending the combo and your HK might miss. It's still a very powerful tool to keep players "honest" during a match.

- Finishing a juggle can leave you far away from the opponent. If you're playing a decent player that keeps their distance or is hard to get ahold of, it might not be a great idea to finish juggles with JKs as they leave you far from rushing down again. Example: Human Smoke's very simple popup combo is basically two mistakes and you're done, right? Not always though... playing someone with great reflexes that stays away from the knee that starts it all, they require a bit more effort to take down than just two combos. This is why I say you should leave your JK off at the end, instead putting an extra aaHP or two, then walking in with a knee or continue rushing. There is no cost of distance between you and your run meter is close to reloading again by the time you are next to them. BE CAREFUL not to do a standing HK instead of the knee. This is a mistake I made in the video below, I wasn't close enough to do a knee so I was punished.
Video example (go to 2:25)

I will post more very soon. I am busy with school and work but I am committed to putting as much on paper as I can. Any questions or comments please feel free.

I was talking to Lex the other day and he lives on the west coast now. And he says he's in to SFIV/Super SFIV.

Dreamcatcher said:
- Finishing a juggle can leave you far away from the opponent. If you're playing a decent player that keeps their distance or is hard to get ahold of, it might not be a great idea to finish juggles with JKs as they leave you far from rushing down again. Example: Human Smoke's very simple popup combo is basically two mistakes and you're done, right? Not always though... playing someone with great reflexes that stays away from the knee that starts it all, they require a bit more effort to take down than just two combos. This is why I say you should leave your JK off at the end, instead putting an extra aaHP or two, then walking in with a knee or continue rushing. There is no cost of distance between you and your run meter is close to reloading again by the time you are next to them. BE CAREFUL not to do a standing HK instead of the knee. This is a mistake I made in the video below, I wasn't close enough to do a knee so I was punished.
This is ok to do, but it's also equally good to get the extra damage. UMK3 is not really about spacing and zoning. Sure there is the two, but it's not essential to your gameplay. You can get in on people really easy, and there's nothing really stopping you from doing so. With a the exception of Reptiles force balls, most of the projectiles have a very slow recovery rate. While his recovery isn't fast, it's fast enough so that you can zone out a non-teleporting opponent. Sweeps can keep your opponent out, but you can't rely on them against a good kara-jabbing player.

Also note that if you get that big damage lead, you can just turtle and wait for opportunities to bait and/or punish. Either that or what you mentioned are both viable options. It just depends on your playstyle.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
OJuggernaut0 said:
I was talking to Lex the other day and he lives on the west coast now. And he says he's in to SFIV/Super SFIV.

This is ok to do, but it's also equally good to get the extra damage. UMK3 is not really about spacing and zoning. Sure there is the two, but it's not essential to your gameplay. You can get in on people really easy, and there's nothing really stopping you from doing so. With a the exception of Reptiles force balls, most of the projectiles have a very slow recovery rate. While his recovery isn't fast, it's fast enough so that you can zone out a non-teleporting opponent. Sweeps can keep your opponent out, but you can't rely on them against a good kara-jabbing player.

Also note that if you get that big damage lead, you can just turtle and wait for opportunities to bait and/or punish. Either that or what you mentioned are both viable options. It just depends on your playstyle.
Indeed, damage is always good. I'm just providing some players with a tool to mix up their game, depending on their style like you said.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Another contribution from me. Any questions feel free.

Corner Traps
Runjabs in the corner are one of the things some people argue about possibly banning in offline tournaments. When used correctly, they can seal a win… especially when playing online and lag is present. The proper way to corner jab is the double method (LPLP, run/block cancel and repeat) with the tip of your fists hitting just enough of the opponent to cause chip or open damage. If you stand too close and your opponent doesn’t hold back, you will probably throw them out of the corner and the positions have switched. For some reason, you will find that sometimes you can be just close enough to be able to throw but not do a knee and also vice versa. This is a weird thing that I can't explain, just keep close enough to mix up with a knee if you want to and don't intend to try the jab infinite.

Keep in mind that if you cancel your jabs with block instead of run (which sometimes seems slower) you can avoid an escape-type move from a player using a character like Kabal or Stryker, and punish them to keep them locked down.

If the opponent tries to jump out of the corner and is caught in midair, it’s likely that both of your LPs will connect and cause pushback. Immediately try to sweep after this as it’s a great wakeup strategy and won’t push you much further back if they block the sweep.

Advanced Corner Traps
Like rushing, corner traps require more mixing up than your usual strategies. The reason for this is because one mistake and your opponent can escape or you could even blow an opportunity altogether. Here are some great tips provided with different scenarios so you can maximize your efforts to keep an opponent locked down in the corner.

Double Jabs – repeatedly tap LPLP cancel.

- When jabbing a blocking opponent, roundhouses DO NOT PUSHBACK, uppercuts DO. Mix up your jabs with random uppercuts, RHs, and knee combos as much as you can.
- Try to incorporate zoning as a staple in your corner traps. If you are about jump distance (mid screen) away from your opponent in the corner, use this space as a buffer against their escape attempts. A lot of times an opponent will anticipate you to rush in right away for corner jabs, so if you run in and back up right away it’s possible to catch them trying to jump over you. If this happens, capitalize with anti air HP/RH or whatever you can get. This is a great strategy to contribute in advancing your mind games in the corner.

Air Catcher (AC for short) – LP cancel, uppercut/RH/SUJK/special move. (example: USub…LP to freeze)

- You can do this anywhere on the stage, not just the corner. This is a great tactic to use against people that avoid close combat and like to jump away/over. These players often try to jump out of the corner or jump backward to kick/jump punch starter you. The worst case scenario if you try to LP cancel uppercut (or any other AC) and they aren’t jumping away is that you get the chip damage and they’re still in the corner anyway.

NOTE ABOUT CORNER UPPERCUTS - If you go for a LP cancel to uppercut, remember that you can just do the LP and keep ducking to see what happens. If you caught the opponent then uppercut them right away, but if you didn't then you can remain ducking and see if they attempt an uppercut of their own...in that case, uppercut their uppercut. Neat huh? You can do this anywhere else on the stage too.(happens in the video below)
VIDEO EXAMPLE (go to 1:00):

But likewise, be careful with special moves as you can be punished if you miss something like a LP to spin with Kabal while they hold block. For something like that, be sure in that split second that you caught them with the LP and buffer the move to prevent a slip up in case you don’t get them with the LP. Example: With Kabal do LP + B, then F but DON'T push LK until you are sure you caught them with the LP. This will ensure you don't get your spin blocked.

These advanced traps can look pretty cool and do great damage when pulled off correctly, but some of them can be really risky and not worth the effort against better players.

Remz

https//:wavenet.remz.ca
You don't even need to cancel the double jabs with block or run for the corner infinite trap. If you time it well, you can do lp,lp, pause, lp, lp etc. and it still completly unescapable. I do this all the time and you can't even imagine the amount of hate mails I receive :D. It's very fun to do, When I have Kabal or Sub and I connect a containement, I always push to the corner then infinite even if a simple uppercut would kill them. It's one of my favorite aspect of UMK3.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Remz said:
You don't even need to cancel the double jabs with block or run for the corner infinite trap. If you time it well, you can do lp,lp, pause, lp, lp etc. and it still completly unescapable. I do this all the time and you can't even imagine the amount of hate mails I receive :D. It's very fun to do, When I have Kabal or Sub and I connect a containement, I always push to the corner then infinite even if a simple uppercut would kill them. It's one of my favorite aspect of UMK3.
Cancels = faster

Without cancels you can't go into normals right away. (LP uppercut) As far as the doubles, it's personal preference and easier to cancel IMO.

Remz

https//:wavenet.remz.ca
I agree that doing it without cancel is not recommended but canceling IS NOT faster in that case because you get locked anyway. I just prefer the visual. I usually go for the cancel infinite then I switch to no cancel variation at the end.

ded

Elder God
the corner infinite jab trap is performed:

1. double rj, run cancel (while second jab is not finished), repeat
2. double rj, pause, repeat
3. single jabs with no cancel (slowed down to time it so there is no pushback aka mk2)