What's new

General/Other - Kung Lao Kung Lao Photos + Full Information from Finnish Gaming Magazine "Pelaaja"

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
It's really not though. Imo, Mortal Kombat would not have even been successful without the story Tobias came up with. The story of MK1&2 is as good as Stan Lee and Jack Kirby stories.

Without the story, MK would have just been Time Killers with better graphics. Tobias said that the story was the only interest he had in making a fighting game. He wanted to tell a story in a game. MK is the MK mythos. The game part was the weak part--the part that was tacked on.

I say this because if Tobias had quit Midway and released MK as his own comic book creation(would have been called something else since Steve Richie came up with the name 'Mortal Kombat') but he would have become ridiculously rich. He then could have sold the rights to a game company to make the game; sold the toy rights; sold the movie rights, and would still own the ip to this day. He could have done all that just on the story alone.

Maybe you feel that way about the story now because it became shit beginning with MK3 and onwards, which is why it had to be rebooted. But, I loved every bit of the story when I was younger, and still feel the base of the MK mythology is good entertainment.
I agree w the references post mk3 story but I also remember why I got into mk. I was 11-12 years old and I walked past the arcade machine once surrounded by tons of people in Macon ga mall. Glanced over and saw a head pop off. It was a done deal

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
I'm very behind on the mk story

Need cliff notes

Well it's a new story now so only MK9 matters now.

Raiden is killed by Shao Khan, contacts past self at start of first MK, Past Raiden tries to make sure the outcome he foresaw doesn't happen, recruits warriors as he goes along, gets flashes of future events (Scorpion killing Sub, Smoke turning into a Robot, etc) and tries to prevent them, Liu Kang grows increasingly unsatisfied with what Raiden is saying and doing, Sindel murders 90 percent of the Earthrealm Warriors (Lao killed by Kahn, Liu killed later), Raiden seeks Quan Chi's help saying he will give up the souls of those fallen but Quan already has them, Raiden has a final thought and says they have let Kahn win as it'll be a violation of MK and the elder gods will step in, Liu disagree, Raiden accidentally kills Liu, Raiden loses, Elder Gods take Kahn away, only Raiden, Sonya, and Johnny Cage are left of Earthrealm (others missing or killed elsewhere).

That's the gist of it.

Pig Of The Hut

Well it's a new story now so only MK9 matters now.

Raiden is killed by Shao Khan, contacts past self at start of first MK, Past Raiden tries to make sure the outcome he foresaw doesn't happen, recruits warriors as he goes along, gets flashes of future events (Scorpion killing Sub, Smoke turning into a Robot, etc) and tries to prevent them, Liu Kang grows increasingly unsatisfied with what Raiden is saying and doing, Sindel murders 90 percent of the Earthrealm Warriors (Lao killed by Kahn, Liu killed later), Raiden seeks Quan Chi's help saying he will give up the souls of those fallen but Quan already has them, Raiden has a final thought and says they have let Kahn win as it'll be a violation of MK and the elder gods will step in, Liu disagree, Raiden accidentally kills Liu, Raiden loses, Elder Gods take Kahn away, only Raiden, Sonya, and Johnny Cage are left of Earthrealm (others missing or killed elsewhere).

That's the gist of it.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Do people seriously play MK for the story?

That's like watching Friday the 13th for the story
This series has over a decade worth of lore and many of the people here grew up with the series, when you're young an entertaining(not necessarily good or bad) story matters more than the actual quality of the game.

Though many grew to understand and love the actual fighting part of the games later, the impact of the story is still with us.

Pig Of The Hut

This series has over a decade worth of lore and many of the people here grew up with the series, when you're young an entertaining(not necessarily good or bad) story matters more than the actual quality of the game.

Though many grew to understand and love the actual fighting part of the games later, the impact of the story is still with us.
Do u like the reboot of the story ? Btw I understand I am in the minority w that statement