Sub-Zero
Raiden
Ermac
Bo' Rai Cho
Jason
Tanya
Tremor
Kano
I don't know. I don't believe that any Kung Lao variation is better than Hellfire/Ninjutsu Scorpion, any Kano variation, or Spectral Ermac. Maybe the other Ermac variations as well. Displacer Raiden might be the biggest hidden gem on the game right now.

GM Sub and Cryo Sub could be better than him, it's yet to be seen how deadly Jason will be.

This is all my opinion of course. It's also my opinion that as a whole, the character could end up being bottom 5. However, I don't believe that that matters on this game. The character is still pretty good. Every character is, at least one variation.

Frizen

Noob
Kano and Scorp are better than him.
Kung lao is still a good character, he is just mid tier right now imo. He still has advancing mids, spinning hat giving combo on hit and ex spin.

The Dragon Chief

#BuffKenshi2016
I think his biggest problem is his walk speed. He has no real mix up, grabs and his plus frames got nerfed, so you want to open people up in the neutral with his mids. However, he has what is probably bottom 3 walk speed. His backdash is also pretty bad. Not the worst in the game, but bad.

He still has really high meterless damage and EX spin is one of the best moves in the game. Just sometimes I feel like I can never open anyone up, and despite all of the mids and good D4, being slower than Goro kind of holds him back lol.

Still a good character. Even if he's bottom 10 or whatever, he's still good. This isn't the Kenshi forums. :p

Edit: To expand, basically his mix up right now, is grab them on wake up, or go into your string. That's actually pretty good considering how much meterless damage he gets midscreen. He also has his orbiting hat that breaks armor on wake up.

So the character can still win. If he got his walk speed buffed to like, middle of the cast, he'd be dope imo.
Where is the midscreen meterless damage? I can barely touch 34% And that's pretty average. midscreen unless I get a jump-in.

Tweedy

Noob
Kung Lao is still my favorite Mortal Kombat character, however, I don't have fun using him on this game.

My biggest problem is not that he's not that great anymore, it's that he doesn't feel like Kung Lao. When I think of Kung Lao, I think of this super mobile character. He has what I think is bottom 3 walk speed, his teleport is just bad, with a lot of characters getting 7 frame pokes he's now one of the slower characters button wise, etc. His backdash is horrendous.

F2 is thought to be a great punisher, but in reality there are several characters with 9 frame punishes right now.

Lao is very good at basically a tank playstyle. Does around 33-35 percent meterless midscreen, EX spin grants him over 30% which is a big deal, breaks armor. For me personally this isn't how I want the character to play. I'd give up damage for a buff to his walk speed and backdash/teleport.

Edit: His divekick is cool but at a high level it's very situational imo.

TheGoldenJew

PSN: The_Golden_Jew1
Kung Lao is still my favorite Mortal Kombat character, however, I don't have fun using him on this game.

My biggest problem is not that he's not that great anymore, it's that he doesn't feel like Kung Lao. When I think of Kung Lao, I think of this super mobile character. He has what I think is bottom 3 walk speed, his teleport is just bad, with a lot of characters getting 7 frame pokes he's now one of the slower characters button wise, etc. His backdash is horrendous.

F2 is thought to be a great punisher, but in reality there are several characters with 9 frame punishes right now.

Lao is very good at basically a tank playstyle. Does around 33-35 percent meterless midscreen, EX spin grants him over 30% which is a big deal, breaks armor. For me personally this isn't how I want the character to play. I'd give up damage for a buff to his walk speed and backdash/teleport.

walkspeeds meh but tbh his biggest issue is his pokes

biggabarr

chilling

Kung Lao was unfairly treated with all those nerf from development, when they decided to make his TELE. goes down and to not give him a low starter to begin with and all those useless string that has the same outcome ,and same punish on blk ,Poulo and his team need to rethink about what they have don to him , given the fact that there are characters like alien and leatherface in the game ,nerfing Kung lao hat was shit ; because there are people like FT ,Takeda,Alien ,Kotal, Leatherface, Reptile with jump in attack that hit from 3.1/4 screen and its not a problem , so unfair ,sigh NRS need to fix Kung Lao , poulo please fix Kung Lao ...

Goat-City

Banned
Kung Lao was unfairly treated with all those nerf from development, when they decided to make his TELE. goes down and to not give him a low starter to begin with and all those useless string that has the same outcome ,and same punish on blk ,Poulo and his team need to rethink about what they have don to him , given the fact that there are characters like alien and leatherface in the game ,nerfing Kung lao hat was shit ; because there are people like FT ,Takeda,Alien ,Kotal, Leatherface, Reptile with jump in attack that hit from 3.1/4 screen and its not a problem , so unfair ,sigh NRS need to fix Kung Lao , poulo please fix Kung Lao ...
Kung Lao is fine, those other characters need to be nerfed.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
1. It's "Paulo".

2. You're acting like NRS totally ruined Kung Lao. I just read to the match 1st patch notes again, the patch that supposedly ruined Kung Lao. Here are the changes:

- Hitbox on ji2 reduced.

- EX hat spin is now +7 from +12.

- EX hat spin is now +40 on hit up from +17.

- EX-spin in Tempest now sucks the opponent in a bit on block.

How you can think this ruined Lao is beyond me. Ji2 deserved to be reduced, but as far as I've heard it's still a good jump-in punch. Yes, the mind game of d4 is no longer a thing after an EX orbiting hat, but Tempest's entire game didn't rely on that did it? F2 is still an amazing footsie tool, 112124 still builds a ton of meter, his stagger pressure is incredible and there's still plenty more good things to mention.

Tweedy

Noob
Making throws more reactable, reducing chip on normals.

Those things hurt Lao much worse than almost every other character.

The problem with EX hat now is that before it guaranteed his main blockstrings, B321 and 112124, if they didn't armor or backdash. Now they will be beat out by 7 frame normals. D4 and F2 no longer jail.

He still has 0 mix ups, no normal that's better than 8 frames, bottom 3 walk speed, a neutral that's driven by a good D4 and an 11 frame mid that's not really a mid. F2 on block is a huge gimmick, staggering B3 no longer works on any decent player, his best string, 112124, whiffs.

Teleport is horrible, jumping attacks are average at best, divekick is cool but it has bad risk/reward.

You basically win by landing enough EX spins to kill.

Tweedy

Noob
Kung Lao atm is basically a run cancel character without run cancels, or a neutral character with bottom 3 walk speed and lackluster mids.

But he has EX spin so YEAH BURH LEGGO

DDutchguy

Kung Lao atm is basically a run cancel character without run cancels, or a neutral character with bottom 3 walk speed and lackluster mids.

But he has EX spin so YEAH BURH LEGGO
F2 and B3 are lackluster mids now?

Tweedy

Noob
When I talk about him only really having EX spin going for him, that's not really downplay.

EX spin is easily up there for best move in the game. That's just all he really has going for him at a competitive level, so the appeal isn't too strong.

DDutchguy

When I talk about him only really having EX spin going for him, that's not really downplay.

EX spin is easily up there for best move in the game. That's just all he really has going for him at a competitive level, so the appeal isn't too strong.
You make it sound like you're responding to someone even though you're not lol.

Tweedy

Noob
You make it sound like you're responding to someone even though you're not lol.
Sorry, I was just adding to my posts from yesterday. I didn't read your post from before until now.

Sorry for the confusion.

Edit: F2 and B3 are pretty bad, if you play him as a neutral character, like Cybernetic Kano or Kotal Khan.

DDutchguy

F2 is essentially a high at max range. B3 only has utility for post ex hat spin and oki situations as it's too slow to reliably throw out in neutral.
So not the greatest mids ever.
F2 is an amazing whiff punisher however, something that can't be ignored. I know we were talking about it whether or not it was a good mid, but from what I've seen of Lao, F2 is being utilized to very deadly effect as a staggering tool, which it seems pretty good at cause it's a mid.

B3 may be slow, but again, it has great staggering potential. As a mid it still seems decent enough, I saw it thrown around in the neutral very often in high level play.

Of course you can't compare playing against Lao vs playing Lao yourself (me being the former), but I don't like that F2 and B3 are being made out as bad normals and people saying Lao has a mid problem.

N00B

Noob
Kung Lao

neutral game - 5/10
up close game - 2/10
deffense - 7/10
offense - 5/10
mix ups - 4/10, only in buzz saw 10% oh/low mix ups
zoning - 3/10
antizoning - 5/10

Not recomended using any of the variations at big tournaments.

Tweedy

Noob
F2 is an amazing whiff punisher however, something that can't be ignored. I know we were talking about it whether or not it was a good mid, but from what I've seen of Lao, F2 is being utilized to very deadly effect as a staggering tool, which it seems pretty good at cause it's a mid.

B3 may be slow, but again, it has great staggering potential. As a mid it still seems decent enough, I saw it thrown around in the neutral very often in high level play.

Of course you can't compare playing against Lao vs playing Lao yourself (me being the former), but I don't like that F2 and B3 are being made out as bad normals and people saying Lao has a mid problem.
F2 hat has a gap, F23 has a gap, and F21 hat whiffs on most of the cast.

So as a stagger it's not too effective. B3, despite being more minus, is better vs players that know the match up. Even that isn't that good, at this point.

Banazama

Noob
Won't deny the positives you listed in the rest of the post. But Lao's stagger game was nerfed due to the universal changes, and there are characters that do what he does but better. I would say that his normals are not very good when compared relatively to the rest of the cast.

EDIT: I should also add it doesn't matter how good your mids are on block if your opponent never lets you use them.