What's new

Kung Lao Discussion Thread

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard
the first chance to breakaway in 212121 spin - is after the spin ha..thats 20 % guaranteed
so try using this string

and perhaps bait out the break with a kombo without the KB first, if you confident in the set.. then let them eat it
If I land 21212, then I usually hit confirm into db1 then F1 df1.

As far as KBs, F214 and D2 are the only launchers. I don't D2 in the neutral so I get the KB mostly when I'm reading a grab. F214 I use sparingly because the guys i play will punish me hard if I do it on block. When I use it, it's usually a whiff punish.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Usually I save F214 for punishing wakeup moves so they can't break out. Meaty with F4 and B32 or Crossup Ji2, shimmy them on their wakeup, btfo

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard
So... apparently you can interrupt F214 between 1 and 4 with a standing 1. My homie was doing it consistently and I had to start doing F21 bf1

So... apparently you can interrupt F214 between 1 and 4 with a standing 1. My homie was doing it consistently and I had to start doing F21 bf1
This isn't possible unless the second hit of f214 whiffs. The second hit might whiff when the string is done from max range. There isn't even a flawless block gap there.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
I'm looking into Lao because I like strike throw set up characters and D'vorah makes that...kinda difficult right now.

I despise combo videos and can't find a thread with actual written bnb's. Would anyone be so kind as to help me out?

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
I'm looking into Lao because I like strike throw set up characters and D'vorah makes that...kinda difficult right now.

I despise combo videos and can't find a thread with actual written bnb's. Would anyone be so kind as to help me out?
HERE I GO SPOONFEEDING AGAIN

I'm kidding

F4/F21/21212 xx Spin, F4 xx Amp Spin, JI3 xx Divekick OR F12 OR F4
Ending in F4 leaves them closer and doesn't sacrifice too much damage. F12 pushes them to the corner and gives good Oki. Divekick for Damage and KB setup

B32/F13 xx Amp Spin, JI2, F21 xx Spin, JI3 xx Divekick
I saw someone post a combo where they did a very low JI3 instead of JI2 but I haven't tested it to see if it's easier. This combo is a little difficult but it leads to good damage.

Corner:
Starter xx Spin, F4 xx Spin, 21 xx Amp Spin, JI3 xx Divekick
Off certain starters this is much more execution intensive. If the F4 doesn't hit super high up, you might wanna just confirm into Amp Spin so the 21 doesn't whiff

KB:
F214 KB, Dash, F21 xx Spin, F4 Amp Spin, JI3 xx Divekick or F12 or F4

D2, F4 xx Spin, F4 xx Amp Spin, Ender

Setup:

F4/21212/F21 xx Spin, F4 Z-Hat
Amplify Z-Hat for plus frames or to collect a small combo when people don't respect. Cancel Z-Hat if you read a roll to chase it down. It's hard, but you can punish with F214 KB

Starter xx Spin, 21212 xx Teleport
This hits meaty. Honestly not super worth it, as you have to mix them up to ultimately get the same damage, though Tele 2 and 3 also get great Oki

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
HERE I GO SPOONFEEDING AGAIN

I'm kidding

F4/F21/21212 xx Spin, F4 xx Amp Spin, JI3 xx Divekick OR F12 OR F4
Ending in F4 leaves them closer and doesn't sacrifice too much damage. F12 pushes them to the corner and gives good Oki. Divekick for Damage and KB setup

B32/F13 xx Amp Spin, JI2, F21 xx Spin, JI3 xx Divekick
I saw someone post a combo where they did a very low JI3 instead of JI2 but I haven't tested it to see if it's easier. This combo is a little difficult but it leads to good damage.

Corner:
Starter xx Spin, F4 xx Spin, 21 xx Amp Spin, JI3 xx Divekick
Off certain starters this is much more execution intensive. If the F4 doesn't hit super high up, you might wanna just confirm into Amp Spin so the 21 doesn't whiff

KB:
F214 KB, Dash, F21 xx Spin, F4 Amp Spin, JI3 xx Divekick or F12 or F4

D2, F4 xx Spin, F4 xx Amp Spin, Ender

Setup:

F4/21212/F21 xx Spin, F4 Z-Hat
Amplify Z-Hat for plus frames or to collect a small combo when people don't respect. Cancel Z-Hat if you read a roll to chase it down. It's hard, but you can punish with F214 KB

Starter xx Spin, 21212 xx Teleport
This hits meaty. Honestly not super worth it, as you have to mix them up to ultimately get the same damage, though Tele 2 and 3 also get great Oki
Thanks a lot man. I actually found the setup at least just messing around in training mode, and I expect I'll be using that a lot. It seems strong combined with f4/throw.

I think I'm going to like Lao a lot in this game.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
What can you guys tell me about his 2nd variation?

Please no "it's garbage" or "don't use it" replies because I actually like to learn both variations of a character.

What’s up guys,

Been playing Lao for a minute now. How y’all opening up guys? I try to stagger strings like F1,F4 with throws and mix up the occasional d3 but do you guys have any tips on other options everything else feels punishable or just slow in start up.

honeybooboo

I speak truth, no lie
What’s up guys,

Been playing Lao for a minute now. How y’all opening up guys? I try to stagger strings like F1,F4 with throws and mix up the occasional d3 but do you guys have any tips on other options everything else feels punishable or just slow in start up.
Ive just been laming it out and its been working. Throws/mid mixups on oki. F4 is easy to hit confirm. Ex zhat for plus frames. Jaqui is tough matchup though

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
What can you guys tell me about his 2nd variation?

Please no "it's garbage" or "don't use it" replies because I actually like to learn both variations of a character.
I'm assuming you're talking about Hat Tricks.

It's arguably the better variation. Z-Hat is one of the most versatile specials in the game and Guided Hat is a nice little quality of life buff to a mediocre projectile. Air teleport can make for some gimmicky setups, or some really hard to do anti-wakeup tech.

Orbiting Hat is just too costly tbh. It makes for some good damage, but a lot of people just use it to make F13 and F21 safe. It's honestly just better to not use those strings if you arent sure if theyll hit

Why hasn't anybody made a Kung Lao discussion thread? Well i guess i made one now. At this moment he has like 11 replies in two threads about two of his moves lol. By far the lowest of any character in TYM. Is my man really that unpopular? This travesty has to be rectified.

Talk away :)
I've seen at least 2 others, but they get drowned out by other threads

Lao the goat tho

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: ProbablyMinus
I've found it easy to start the teleport shenanigans by ending your combo in tele of of hit confirm s3 or a move with long hit or active frames so they must block a 2 or immediate 1 which opens you up to grab