What's new

Kung Lao Discussion Thread

jcbowie

...more deadly than the dawn.
Stop using f12u3, and stop using 21 upclose unless for punish
If the answer is "don't use this string" then why is the string even there. It needs to be fixed or removed, ideally replaced with something that works. With move lists as short as this game's there's no good reason to have strings without any utility.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Hate to keep asking questions but can you explain to me why pick one over the other in your estimation? Like with Jax hunker down has better pressure and a command grab while his other variation has higher combo potential
Hat trick is less meter dependant but i cant really say one is better then the other. I play both variations

BookBurning

Voidwards
Hat Trick and Lotus Fist offer different things. I think Hat Tricks works a bit better for a more zoning oriented/cautious spacing mixup game. (I haven't messed wit Hat Tricks too much but that's just at a glance; that and throw setups.) My problem with it is that even though EX hat is plus, Lao loses alot of damage with that variation and I always want the threat of high damage.

I don't play like that though, I go in hard and have honestly been stomping pretty much anyone I face so far in sets with Lotus Fist. Confirming off of Orbiting hat, especially to fill gaps when they try to punish has been really useful, not to mention just general pressure with whiffed divekicks on hard knockdowns to close distance etc.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Damn poor Lao ain't gettin enough love. I uploaded some games of a pretty good one named "Duuurpy" if anyone's interested.
His showing at a tournament Mustard uploaded was pretty inspiring, but something that happens in that tournament and the vid you uploaded is perplexing me.

At about the 20 second mark he gets the Divekick KB, even though he threw Z-Hat and got hit since his last Divekick. Usually when I play if I so much as whiff a normal after the first Divekick I lose the requirement.

Damn poor Lao ain't gettin enough love. I uploaded some games of a pretty good one named "Duuurpy" if anyone's interested.
Wow I never thought to abuse Lao's f+4 that much. I'm still in the early phase of learning him, and for some reason thought his f+4 was punishable on block. Looking at the frame data, it's only -3! I must have missed the discussions on this lol

Last edited:
@Bronzefist I've def seen PL use it a lot also. Seems like a staple
@DixieFlatline78 Hmm interesting. The listed requirements might be wrong then? He def did lot's between the two but didn't whiff anything. I'd guess it's either two "in a row" refers only to the divekicks or that for whatever reason the "in a row" resets when you whiff any move making it ok to do stuff in between

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Z-Hat definitely seems a lot more useful than we initially thought. Plus frame setups, both off combos and in neutral, it can hit people trying to jump in on you, takes good screen real estate.