What's new

Kung Lao Discussion Thread

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I am actually a fan of the revenant look but most people don't seem to like the revenants. The spirit of the Great Kung Lao looked cool but i am not sure if its actually good. He didn't seem to be able to combo from it and the low attack seemed to have a slow startup. His fatal blow was indeed long. But i think it's one of the better looking fatal blows.
Ithink the great Kung Lao is really good. He can launch meterlessly from it after strings, adds a bit of zoning, and the low combos in the corner.

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard
Does anyone know what the requirements are for the "stuck" brutality besides the last hit must come from tele 3? I'm landing it but it's not triggering.

fireborg

Noob
ok so I am actually maining KL now. One thing i found quiet bad-ish with him, is requirements for KB and inability to fulfill them. would appreciate some set-up tips. also what are his optimal corner kombos?

the F214 is super easy - i kounter with it , or roll out behind their back in oki and whiff punish them or f1, move back a little and then wiff punish with it

but the rest? the grab one is probably the easiest

air down4 is so ridiculously known, that people expect it all the time - even if you end a kombo with the first one of them

and the teleport one , hmm , maybe if the down known how to defend a MB teleport , but otherwise?
btw what is the exact rule on them, because air D4 you have to do 2 in a row right away, but you can fight in between the teleports, right?

Does anyone know what the requirements are for the "stuck" brutality besides the last hit must come from tele 3? I'm landing it but it's not triggering.
you need to unlock it in the game first, towers of time or krypt

Im assuming this is the issue if you can't find the requirements in the move list

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard
you need to unlock it in the game first, towers of time or krypt

Im assuming this is the issue if you can't find the requirements in the move list
I unlocked it in the Towers of Time. Requirements say it must be last hit, but that doesn't seem to be all of the requirements.

I unlocked it in the Towers of Time. Requirements say it must be last hit, but that doesn't seem to be all of the requirements.
in my copy of the game it says that it has to be the final hit and you have to press down three times during the final hit
The requirements are pretty clear, not sure why yours doesn't specify that

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
ok so I am actually maining KL now. One thing i found quiet bad-ish with him, is requirements for KB and inability to fulfill them. would appreciate some set-up tips. also what are his optimal corner kombos?

the F214 is super easy - i kounter with it , or roll out behind their back in oki and whiff punish them or f1, move back a little and then wiff punish with it

but the rest? the grab one is probably the easiest

air down4 is so ridiculously known, that people expect it all the time - even if you end a kombo with the first one of them

and the teleport one , hmm , maybe if the down known how to defend a MB teleport , but otherwise?
btw what is the exact rule on them, because air D4 you have to do 2 in a row right away, but you can fight in between the teleports, right?
You cannot. It has to be immediately after.

The dive kick KB is at least pretty decent because you can threaten with it to get free jump in pressure because they wanna block and punish it. Its primarily good for punishing wakeups

kcd117

Noob
His KBs are way morr useful than I first thought.

I was playing him completely stagger based before I realized how good his shimmy game is.

F214 KB does huge dmg and I noticed people don’t breakaway out of it too often, I think the timing is really weird so when they finally are able to break after the first spin they already took 30%.

Ending combos in divekick makes people sit and respect you on wakeup and avoid jumping, which makes his already great throw game godlike. When they do that Z hat has amazing chip potential and doesn’t mess with the KB. When they get impatient and jump or throw a move you basically get a free KB.

The throw one is always very good. Once you get a escape failed you are able to throw people 5 times in front of you and they will keep failing to escape. If they try to mash F4 will make them learn lol.

D2 is great on a read. I just wish it had better hitbox in front of him. I can’t count how many times I got punished for making the right read.

His TP KB is trash tho. No one is ever gonna hit that. TP 4 should startup as soon as you appear on the other side to beat pokes and D2s. It should be unsafe if they make that change but idk just give him something usable.

The more I play him the more I think his KBs were really well thought, except for TP4 bc that was some Bong Lao dev’s work.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
His KBs are way morr useful than I first thought.

I was playing him completely stagger based before I realized how good his shimmy game is.

F214 KB does huge dmg and I noticed people don’t breakaway out of it too often, I think the timing is really weird so when they finally are able to break after the first spin they already took 30%.

Ending combos in divekick makes people sit and respect you on wakeup and avoid jumping, which makes his already great throw game godlike. When they do that Z hat has amazing chip potential and doesn’t mess with the KB. When they get impatient and jump or throw a move you basically get a free KB.

The throw one is always very good. Once you get a escape failed you are able to throw people 5 times in front of you and they will keep failing to escape. If they try to mash F4 will make them learn lol.

D2 is great on a read. I just wish it had better hitbox in front of him. I can’t count how many times I got punished for making the right read.

His TP KB is trash tho. No one is ever gonna hit that. TP 4 should startup as soon as you appear on the other side to beat pokes and D2s. It should be unsafe if they make that change but idk just give him something usable.

The more I play him the more I think his KBs were really well thought, except for TP4 bc that was some Bong Lao dev’s work.
The only time people will be hit by the Teleport 4 KB is when they decide to deal with the Teleport 3 KD with Delayed Wakeup. This isn't so terrible because if they do that and block on their wakeup you get plus frames depending on the timing

It's not terribly useful but delayed wakeup is a good response to a lot of Kung Lao's anti wakeup tech so it's plausible that you land it once or twice in your life. Itd be much better if it activated after something like landing two Teleport 3s in a match.

kingjack21

When's Mahvel
Sorry guys, whats the optimal combo for avoiding breakaway punishes? like for instance say you do your starter xx spin, string xx amp spin ender... they can break away the amp spin and punish you... whats the most damage you can get whilst avoiding getting punished by the breakaway stuff... like how can you keep oki and stuff

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Sorry guys, whats the optimal combo for avoiding breakaway punishes? like for instance say you do your starter xx spin, string xx amp spin ender... they can break away the amp spin and punish you... whats the most damage you can get whilst avoiding getting punished by the breakaway stuff... like how can you keep oki and stuff
Starter xx Spin, JI3 xx Divekick

Does decent meterless damage and saves the bar for a Z-Hat setup or Amp Teleport

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard
When I launch with a KB, I use F21 and I wait to see if they drop. If they dont do it right away I go into spin.

I play Lotus Fist so they are grounded for most of my bnb combos

Can someone give me advice on what to do against good scorpion players? Scorpion seems t better in neutral and has better pokes. I cant use zhat because it can be teleported on reaction. it feels like he can just control the pace of the rounds easy

fireborg

Noob
Can someone give me advice on what to do against good scorpion players? Scorpion seems t better in neutral and has better pokes. I cant use zhat because it can be teleported on reaction. it feels like he can just control the pace of the rounds easy
a lot of scorp player play reactionary and lame waiting for your mistakes.. z hat man? =D no way you can use that, not only against scorpion teleport, but in many other instances as well...its slow...

first thing i do is check what type of scorp player iam dealing with... there are better players , that rarely teleport in the neutral, so you can move more freely with these (obviously because, they dont want to get punished - get your scorp teleport punishes on point in practice - otherwise, they going to roll over you - or at least grab , down 2... )

the second type is impatient and will teleport just because he does not know how and is bored by neutral, these just bait and punish :)

btw put this in the scopr thread, its not like scorp players will not advise you

fireborg

Noob
When I launch with a KB, I use F21 and I wait to see if they drop. If they dont do it right away I go into spin.

I play Lotus Fist so they are grounded for most of my bnb combos

the first chance to breakaway in 212121 spin - is after the spin ha..thats 20 % guaranteed
so try using this string

and perhaps bait out the break with a kombo without the KB first, if you confident in the set.. then let them eat it