What's new

Kung Lao Discussion Thread

I feel you. I don't think he's absolute trash tho. I am sure he would get some changes.

But you might be missing some of his strengths. He has insane damage off every hit confirm. And because of this you have a good throw mind game mixup.

Also you don't wanna use 21 in your opponents face. I actually don't see why anyone would use his hat trick variation tho, it's hella unsafe and you really not gonna zone anyone out.

jcbowie

...more deadly than the dawn.
It's bad but you really don't have to use it when you have the orbitting hat variation. You can make f13, -7.
Also f13 stagger is kinda good when you have conditioned your opponent to expect an orbiting hat.
The main problem of f13u2 is that it whiffs on duck blocking opponents. So there really no mindgame to it. I basically never use it the U2 part unless I am sure they would stand block for some reason
My beef isn't so much that there aren't other or better options, but the fact that this string exists in the game and there is kind of no use for it.

Been maining kung lao now as well. His b4 is good for mix up but terrible recovery like most of his normals. However it doesnt combo but comes out fast and hits low and opens up mind games to get into strings, at least against human players. Kung lao shines with hang time, neutral jump 2 and then his usual stuff, just never do hatspin or dive kick on block, an absolute death sentence. I think his string that starts with b3 is pretty safe, at least better than his bread and butter. 21 is only for punish. Anyway i am not playing tourney variations at all. Buzzsaw is good since it tracks a little not bad for keep away. I think his teleport is only good in the air but whiffs way to often, it comes out so slow on the ground...awful. Teleport needs to be faster.

Last edited:

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
Week 1 thoughts on Lao, competitive variations only:

Pros:
  • Base moveset is solid, f1 being a true 10 frame mid with stagger potential is great for this game
  • Great jump kick, very hard for anyone to anti-air
  • Divekick and teleport are solid counter-zoning options
  • Fantastic meterless damage, whether off 21 punishes, krushing blows or jump kicks in the corner
  • Great corner carry off most combos
Cons:
  • 21212 cannot be enforced on anyone who knows about the string, way to many highs
  • Orbital hat way too expensive, doesn't lead to big damage or pressure in current state, only useful as a round closer or making f21 safe
  • Feel like Z-hat is a gimmick as a whole, may need more exp
  • Spin is really slow for some reason (12 frames), and doesn't combo off a lot of useful strings without amplifying
  • Opponents can time a breakaway correctly on a lot of juggles that lead to a full combo punish, limits his combos
Overall, a decent character that probably sits around the middle of the pack. Would love an adjustment to 21212 and Orbital hat like everyone else, but that might make him too strong and lead to nerfs elsewhere.

hi, how do I avoid kung Lao's teleport?
All I do is trying to jump away, but when I stay there I always get hit or thrown.
cant block or duck it.
can I jab him out of this?

jcbowie

hi, how do I avoid kung Lao's teleport?
All I do is trying to jump away, but when I stay there I always get hit or thrown.
cant block or duck it.
can I jab him out of this?
Yeah, it's pretty reactable so just try to jab and juggle or d2 when you see it start.

Byites

Wilson
I cannot figure it out but somehow kung laos damage was nerfed with todays patch.

Before patch
After patch

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
Not a Lao main but messed with him a bit the other day. Yall know Hat Trick’s Z hat is insanely + on block when you meterburn jt, right? It’s so + that at point blank range, there’s a 1 or 2 frame window the opponent cannot actually let go of block before Lap can throw them.

Not sure which variation will pan out as his best, but I feel like it’s worth the mains exploring combo enders which set up guaranteed Z hat on block on wakeup, or maybe strings that are + enough on hit to where they have to block it.

Not a Lao main but messed with him a bit the other day. Yall know Hat Trick’s Z hat is insanely + on block when you meterburn jt, right? It’s so + that at point blank range, there’s a 1 or 2 frame window the opponent cannot actually let go of block before Lap can throw them.

Not sure which variation will pan out as his best, but I feel like it’s worth the mains exploring combo enders which set up guaranteed Z hat on block on wakeup, or maybe strings that are + enough on hit to where they have to block it.
Yes its super plus, the problem for me in this variation is that most of my footsies options are hella minus when you play it.

Drew9795

Noob
I think Lao's f1,3,u2 is a contender for worst string in this game. Massively unsafe at -19 if you don't do the final hit, massive full combo-punishable gap in between the 3 and u2, and to top it all off the u2 is a very slow high attack so the opponent can just release block and get a d2 KB into full combo for huge damage. What exactly is the purpose of this string.
That string is good for stagger gimmicks. Once they try to mash out of f1 throw you can start mixing in the 3 and confirm off it. If they block you can throw hat fb

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
Played more games with Lao, some more thoughts on his 21 starter. Definitely should be used as mainly a punisher, but it's also kind of useful as a footsie/harassment tool around midscreen. Sometimes f2 is a little too far or slow to risk throwing out. But 21 by itself will let throw out a hitbox without putting yourself at too much risk.

jcbowie

I dunno how you guys are managing with stagger pressure so far but I'm definitely struggling. Seems like most people just d1 mash in any block situation and then poke me back out to a range where I have to rely on his slow moves that just always get beat.

I dunno how you guys are managing with stagger pressure so far but I'm definitely struggling. Seems like most people just d1 mash in any block situation and then poke me back out to a range where I have to rely on his slow moves that just always get beat.
Im struggeling with this too. Does anyone have good tips against pokes?

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
This character has insane meterless damage. Particularly with his weird spirit stance. 350+ in the corner for no bar and over 300 mid screen. Couples nicely with z-hat since you can spend all your meter on plus frames and stance cancels instead. Buzzsaw looks interesting but I'm not sure how I feel about it since it's 2 slots. Orbiting hat leads to stupid damage but it's pretty strict. Hard to choose abilities.

Edit: Buzzsaw has a little bit of extra combo potential from regular stuff. In both mid screen and corner, you can get some extra METERLESS damage (scales bad with meter) off anything that isn't F4. Combo into spin like usual then midscreen you want to do F1>buzzsaw. Hold down and away before it releases and follow the hit up with an extremely small dash into F12. This combo deals more damage than the standard meterless combo while also having much higher advantage. In the corner, follow up the spin with 2>buzzsaw holding down and away before it releases. Follow the hit up with d1, 12>spin, d1>spin.This doesn't do much more, but it's still better if you care that much about damage.

Last edited:
I swear if his 21 string stopped whiffing and f12u3 would not whiff on females. He would instantly become a better character. That's all I want lol.

So i've always though kung lao was really cool but by the sounds of it he kinda sucks, is it really that bad? Thinking of picking him up

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
I swear if his 21 string stopped whiffing and f12u3 would not whiff on females. He would instantly become a better character. That's all I want lol.
Stop using f12u3, and stop using 21 upclose unless for punish

So i've always though kung lao was really cool but by the sounds of it he kinda sucks, is it really that bad? Thinking of picking him up
Hes not bad at all. Hes really fun to play too.