What's new

Match-up Discussion Kitana Matchup Discussion Thread

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Nightwolf is underrated, he's really good. I played this Nightwolf player on PS3, I forgot his PSN but he's on Leaderboards. He can give Kitana trouble up close and from full screen. I know his Shoulder is high so it can be ducked, I had no idea his tomahawk is an overhead/mid hit? I kept getting combo'd from that when I assumed I can duck it. Of course I never see any Nightwolf players that play heavily competitive online except the ones who spam the Shoulder. I don't know this match up well but Kitana's D1 did come in handy keeping him off. His Lightning is annoying, I can block Rain's but not his .....

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Here's why I think Kit vs Smoke is now 5-5:

Kitana can't build meter well against Smoke like she can vs other characters (air fans a non-option from 3/4-fullscreen). So when you get hit by that smoke bomb or a launcher and don't have breaker, you are fucked and have to chase his ass down while not building meter.

I'd say it's even because of Kitana's damage output and footsie game vs Smoke, but it could go either way.

x18x2xwildx

Something wicked this way comes.
Question, and forgive me if it's been asked before, but how does Kitana deal with Sektor? I know she can probably eat him up once she gets in on him, but that's the whole problem, getting there. I'm outzoned with missiles until I get close, and then I have to deal with Sektor's flamethrower up-close.

I guess my real question is, what's Kitana's best option for punishing a blocked flamethrower? F2,1, or is that too slow?

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
f+2,1 is too slow. It's like dealing with Ermac TKP. After blocking it you could dash up and d+1, 2,1 or f+2,1. Establish that stuff and he'll start blocking, then you can dash in and throw or go into pressure. Also you can jump kick~fan a missle from hella far away and jump over b+1.

x18x2xwildx

Something wicked this way comes.
f+2,1 is too slow. It's like dealing with Ermac TKP. After blocking it you could dash up and d+1, 2,1 or f+2,1. Establish that stuff and he'll start blocking, then you can dash in and throw or go into pressure. Also you can jump kick~fan a missle from hella far away and jump over b+1.
This was great Osu, makes a lot of sense, thanks! :)

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Why is Kitana seen as losing to Reptile? I mean, it seems like if you stay on point with iaf Reptile can't get in. I've noticed spit trades with iaf but it seems like it's quite hard for him to get the timing and you can always alter your jump... Just curious. All information would be appreciated.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Why is Kitana seen as losing to Reptile? I mean, it seems like if you stay on point with iaf Reptile can't get in. I've noticed spit trades with iaf but it seems like it's quite hard for him to get the timing and you can always alter your jump... Just curious. All information would be appreciated.
Reptile can have 2 projectiles on the screen at once which in the end wins out the fireball war. Spit knocks Kitana down where as fan leaves reptile standing.

Reptile doesn't need nor want to get in during this match up, it's Kitty that needs to get in.

Dash blows up square assing to close distance,
Dash blows up dash blocking acid balls and spit to get in, if your not careful.
Dash can blow up blocked D+1 as well I'm pretty sure

Good reptiles will never give you the oportunity to block dash.

I used to think it was worse then it is, but it is 6-4 in reptiles favor.

Dash happy reptiles get blown up by Kitty though, THTB Reptiles with good spacing and footsies, are scarry as hell.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
All that plus the long range d+4 and threat of dash makes playing her footsies game hard and the d+4 stops a lot of her whiffed counter poke setups.

The only thing going for her in that MU is that his pokes are so slow. So like after a blocked f+2,1 it's a guessing game in her favor.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
It's all fine and good until you trade with an acid spit. It knocks you out of the air and you fall to the ground where he puts a floating combo on the screen. Once that happens, he is in complete control. If you ass, he gets free dash for 11%, so he gets to force you to jump which he can punish or you block and he dashes in for pressure and meter build which gets him ever closer to that xray which then stops you from doing fans and he now owns you.

You are forced to play footsies with reptile and stay in that dash range at this point so he can't dash haphazardly or he eats a 35-45% combo for his trouble.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
It's all fine and good until you trade with an acid spit. It knocks you out of the air and you fall to the ground where he puts a floating combo on the screen. Once that happens, he is in complete control. If you ass, he gets free dash for 11%, so he gets to force you to jump which he can punish or you block and he dashes in for pressure and meter build which gets him ever closer to that xray which then stops you from doing fans and he now owns you.

You are forced to play footsies with reptile and stay in that dash range at this point so he can't dash haphazardly or he eats a 35-45% combo for his trouble.
Yeah, I am going to learn this matchup but I usually use Sub against Rep anyway. Sub stops Reptile playing his game for the most part.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
What on earth is Kitana's gameplan against Sonya? You can't zone her with iaf because you just trade and get knocked down so you have to jump forward at the last second over the ring and then time your fan immaculately to hit Soonya on the head while she throws out a second ring. If you miss the timing, you lose the zoning war, so it seems incredibly hard to do this sort of thing for an entire round. The most I could do was to reapeat this 3/4 times before getting knocked down and then screwed by d4, ms nonsense. Second thing is, because you have to jump forward, Sonya has this incredibly lame ms AA which reaches incredibly far across the screen,so if you get anywhere near her with your jump, you cannot alter your jump with fan or square boost to avoid it, in fact, the AA will hit you out of square boost anyway and you'll get full combo punished and RESET. If I try to fight her up close I either eat a d4 ms from just outside my d1 range or she can ia divekick for trying to d1 her when I am in range and she will once again full combopunish into a reset.

I have no idea how to fight this character. In fact, the more I learn Sonya's game, the worse it gets for me. Does anybody know how Kitana is supposed to win against Sonya, I hit a wall every time I play Foxy's Sonya and end up feeling slightly suicidal afterwards, lol.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Be more careful with IAF. It's possible to win the projectile war. Get a life lead with IAF early and run, run, run till you start getting cornered and ass out. If she's closing in or you need to get in because you've lost the life lead you can with dash d+1 to beat d+4. If she tries Instant Dive Kicking she's risking getting blown up, it's always punishable by 2,1~lift or 2,1~EX fan. Make her block with f+2,1 or d+1 till you can throw her a few times to get the life lead and then GTFO again. You can blow up predicted EX Cartwheels with NJP.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
kitana vs smoke is pain !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smoke favor imo
Kitana should stay on ground, don't jump because you are giving him free Air Grabs and Teleport Punches. Poke him with D1 before he can poke you with Smoke Bombs. Then rush him down with F2,1 combo launcher or 2,1~Cutter for pressure or 2,1,Fan Lift combo. I actually find it funny when he does those fake air Teleports to switch sides that Kitana's Pretty Kick can knock him out of the air before he lands on the ground. X-D A Kitana who stays on ground becomes a threat to Smoke because it's dangerous for him to get in. He can Smoke Away and throw Smoke Bombs all day build meter but it will be difficult for him to get in based on Kitana's long ranging reach to attack.

Quito

PSN : QuitoTheSecond
questions for the gods of kitana :
you guys doing which kind of punish vs mileena roll and ex teleport?
The roll for me right now is : b2... f2,1 dont work at all
and for the ex teleport is d1. Im right for the punish or i just fail?

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
questions for the gods of kitana :
you guys doing which kind of punish vs mileena roll and ex teleport?
The roll for me right now is : b2... f2,1 dont work at all
and for the ex teleport is d1. Im right for the punish or i just fail?
For roll its 2 fan 2 lift b2 air fan, fan, 4 cutter for 35%. Same for normal telekick. For ex tele block high then low and d1 cutter.

For rtm2004 you can use the 2 fan 2 lift combo for smokes iat rather than pretty kicks.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends

Even at this range, Reptile isn't exactly ridiculously hampered. In fact, both characters are at risk. Kitana risks getting thrown on her ass for breathing and having to deal with wakeup offense that can keep going until Kitana guesses right, and Reptile risks eating a lot of damage. Kitana has to be careful exactly when she lets go of block, and this can lead to a ton of hesitance.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
You can get 41% with b2 to punish Mileena's Roll. I'm not posting it because I can't remember it off hand... I'd have to hit up training mode to remember.