What's new

Match-up Discussion Kitana Matchup Discussion Thread

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
Hey Kitana God's, I have a huge problem with Stryker. I know you guys are saying that the matchup is in her favor, but I have way too hard of a time getting in on him. His gunshot beats out Kit's iAF, and his grenades stop my from butt attacking through the air to him. So that leaves with me dash blocking and get sweeped by a baton or rolled over.

So, my only real way to counter is a njP on reaction to a roll toss? Are there any other tips you can give to help in the Stryker matchup?
I second this. I've been using njp, but I feel like you have to jump in anticipation of the Roll and if yu're read is wrong, you get hit with a grenade. Still feels about even, just based on using her rushing tools. 212, D1xxCutter, 112xxCutter namely. Just wondering if she has some match-up specific tricks anyone would like to share.

Same for Kenshi. Thanks in advance guys! ^_^

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Stryker...

Playing this matchup online is a guessing game and it is an even match or probably in Strykers favor. However, when you play it offline, you are able to literally walk him to the corner and counter or avoid-and-advance every move he makes. d1 stops both the low baton and roll on reaction, just watch for the ex version because you lose positioning and 16%.

AngryWorm

Hitomi's Pet
Just reading the match up and saw that Kitana can punish Mileena's tk and ex tk. Was wondering what I'm supposed to be punishing with, since I can't seem to figure it out (sorry if already posted)

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I don't see how it is worse than 7-3. Yeah, Kitana zones him out easily, so you just have to do against Kitana what almost every character has to do against Kabal, get in and pressure. It's not like CSZ can't do anything up close to justify an 8-2.
8-2 is probly about right TBH, you Kitana players love to throw fans and mash D1. CSZ cant parry D1 and his divekick is his main weapon, he cant jump too.

He has to slide iAFs, get that wrong and hes dead.
Jump he's dead.
Teleport, he's dead.
Dash in, get D1'd or ass out.

Once he's he has no move faster than 6 frames and all of his combos end leaving Kitana able to escape, so its pretty much hopeless.

Any character with either good pokes/rushdown OR good air control slaps CSZ. Kitanas rushdown may not be incredible but alot of it is based around her D1 which is enough.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Just reading the match up and saw that Kitana can punish Mileena's tk and ex tk. Was wondering what I'm supposed to be punishing with, since I can't seem to figure it out (sorry if already posted)

Regular TK is punished with standing 2~fan then combo.

EX TK you crouch block the second hit, let go of block, then duck the sai and d+1~special. You can do d+1~cutter or use meter and do d+1~ex lift or d+1~ex fan toss for a combo punish.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Kit vs. CSZ is bad but it's not 8-2 bad. She blows up his specials but he doesn't HAVE to slide, teleport or dive kick to get in. It's a pain in the ass but he can do the generic answer of dash d3 under fan one by one until she corners herself. Slide is one of the better ways to punish ass. He can take advantage of her bad wakes and get things going if he gets a knockdown.

Any nice tips for the match VS Kenshi i got figured out other 2 horrible spammers : Noobspammbot and freddy but i just cant beat an average/good kenshi the spamm is just too anoying if i get in on them they die but its just too hard to get in. Im allways forced to change to raiden and then beat them whit him strats vs kenshi are much apreciated plz quoteme so i know ;)

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Footsies and controlling space are how you beat Kenshi. Noob is free. I haven't fought a good freddy, so I don't know. I'd imagine it is kind of like fighting Kabal with a tracking saw blade lol

Watch how CD's Kitana plays against Kenshi in the Revolution X tournament. Making him use his meter and using EX Fan are your saving graces. Tournament footage is here: http://twitch.tv/kombatnetwork in the video archive.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
Footsies and controlling space are how you beat Kenshi. Noob is free. I haven't fought a good freddy, so I don't know. I'd imagine it is kind of like fighting Kabal with a tracking saw blade lol
I'd be interested to hear your Noob strat. I often get counter picked by him.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Get in jump or 1/2 screen distance and react to everything he does. You can easily walk him to the corner and possibly get a 45%+ punish on a dumb shadow throw if you are lucky.

up shadow f21 or ex fan

tackle/slide jump over into full combo or block it then dash up and d1 then you are close and can pressure him

jump aa2 or aa3 into full combo now he is cornered

wakeup f21 blows up any up shadow ex or not on wakeup... once you hit them out of their precious wakeup, they will be forced to use a normal tackle as their invincible wakeup which is only 8% so it's ok to take it just to keep them honest. The next time, you can jump over their wakeup tackle or slide and punish them for 48-50% and now they are cornered.

teleport? lol ... you will be throwing NO fans unless they are done in a combo. So the only teleports they will be doing will be a desperate attempt to punish a jump or to get out of the corner. This means 45% for free.

There is nothing noob can do about f21 except try to jump which you get a bt-aa2 into 40% or jump back kick to air fan for 40%+ After a f21, you always get d1 first and if he is waiting for it to punish with d4, you can back up and do f21 again or see if they jump.

Doing f21 is really good to see how they react to it and you can incorporate punishments for how they deal with it later in the match.

Noob players might not throw shadows, but wait for you to do something or dash in and poke. All of noob's options for dashing are nullified by d1 to control the space in front of you. D1 at max range is completely unpunishable and if they press a button after getting hit or blocking it, you get a f21 for free.

If you play it right, noob has no combo opportunities outside of up shadow to tackle lol ... where kitana only has to punish a dumbly thrown shadow twice and it's over.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I know that on Sektor's wakeup, a properly timed jump becomes a pseudo option select.

If he stays there, you get 8% chip with a blockstring.

If he does flame, you get a full combo off of a jump punch.

If he does either teleport, you get an aaJP to air fan into combo.

You can f21 him on wakeup that hits him out of everything and makes him respect it and block which opens up more options to get in.

You should stay outside of flame range (which you can punish with a jk... no fan as you have to kick early). Make him not feel safe for doing any missiles or flames. Always be careful of b1 and f2. Don't ever jump back or you will be hit with iTU. From further than 1/2 screen away, NEVER throw a fan if you know they are good at doing iTU.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
What is a good way to beat a good Freddy with Kitana? I played ETI Charybdis with Kitana, it was difficult to zone with fans because of his fast Glove Toss and she can't duck either because of his Ground Claw which stuns her and his Crawling Claw from full screen so I'm force to stay in the air. At the same time jumping in for Kitana is so risky because of his Nightmare Stance (depending he will do the pop up juggle or sweep or cancel into a Teleport/Glove Toss etc). Also, staying in the air is risky too because of his Green Drop which happens to track. I want to add this as a bad match up because Freddy's rushdown is hard to get out of especially if he has meter to pin her to the ground, I tried D1 and that's where it failed. Assing away did not help and let me say Freddy trapping you in the corner, that is one ugly situation especially he uses the Green Drop above you which you are forced to block (block high, he can low kick~ground claw you, crouch block, he can use overhead claw~ground claw). This match up is very hard for me.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
I know that on Sektor's wakeup, a properly timed jump becomes a pseudo option select.

If he stays there, you get 8% chip with a blockstring.

If he does flame, you get a full combo off of a jump punch.

If he does either teleport, you get an aaJP to air fan into combo.

You can f21 him on wakeup that hits him out of everything and makes him respect it and block which opens up more options to get in.

You should stay outside of flame range (which you can punish with a jk... no fan as you have to kick early). Make him not feel safe for doing any missiles or flames. Always be careful of b1 and f2. Don't ever jump back or you will be hit with iTU. From further than 1/2 screen away, NEVER throw a fan if you know they are good at doing iTU.
Thanks Konqrr. Not quite sure what you mean with the aaJP in fan combo from a jump in if he teleports though. Can you clarify please?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Thanks Konqrr. Not quite sure what you mean with the aaJP in fan combo from a jump in if he teleports though. Can you clarify please?
When you jump at Sektor on wakeup (properly spaced and timed), and he does a teleport, your jp will hit him out of the teleport punch and you get a free combo.

What is a good way to beat a good Freddy with Kitana? I played ETI Charybdis with Kitana, it was difficult to zone with fans because of his fast Glove Toss and she can't duck either because of his Ground Claw which stuns her and his Crawling Claw from full screen so I'm force to stay in the air. At the same time jumping in for Kitana is so risky because of his Nightmare Stance (depending he will do the pop up juggle or sweep or cancel into a Teleport/Glove Toss etc). Also, staying in the air is risky too because of his Green Drop which happens to track. I want to add this as a bad match up because Freddy's rushdown is hard to get out of especially if he has meter to pin her to the ground, I tried D1 and that's where it failed. Assing away did not help and let me say Freddy trapping you in the corner, that is one ugly situation especially he uses the Green Drop above you which you are forced to block (block high, he can low kick~ground claw you, crouch block, he can use overhead claw~ground claw). This match up is very hard for me.
I am not ignoring you RTM. I have never played vs a good Freddy so I have no idea. Only theory fighter.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
You should not be trying to engage in a fireball war vs Freddy unless you have a substantial life lead. Spikes "crouch" under fans, making them worthless. If the Freddy player is any good, you will die every time if you stay full screen away. Kitana's goal in this match up is to get close and pressure Freddy. I am not a Kitana player, but I am very well familiar with Freddy, so here are some pointers.

- every time gloves or fingers are blocked full screen away, a far spike must also be blocked. This projectile trap is extremely tight and can never be avoided. Just take the chip and dash forward. If the Freddy player tosses another glove/finger, react quickly, neutral crouch (vs glove) or jump forward (vs finger) and then dash forward. No spikes can harm you if you execute this strategy correctly.

- if you are full screen away and jump forward at the wrong time, mid spike can AA and send you back full screen into a combo. You can jump forward and toss an aerial fan to change your trajectory. However, if the Freddy player reads this, he can punish you.

- Freddy's crouching hitbox is huge just like Kenshi's. All of your pokes will hit. Freddy does not have the armor moves Kenshi has, though. His escape options are: EX teleport (vulnerable to throws on start up) and EX sweet dreams (has armor but really slow and limited tracking ability).

- point blank spikes are punishable on block. I think they are about as unsafe as Reptile's elbow dash. So I assume 2,1 + combo works.

Fighting Freddy is all about knowing how to get close while taking as little damage as possible and maximizing your pressure when close. You really have to fight the character a lot to get used to his unique zoning game. Most players who fight Freddy for the first time get blown up because they dash, jump, fireball, etc. at the wrong times.

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
What is the best way to stop JC's block string off of his f3 or b3 (I think) that is randomly +5? Ive been able to have my Kitana d1~cutter out of it after it before he continues the block string, but sometimes it doesnt work.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
What is the best way to stop JC's block string off of his f3 or b3 (I think) that is randomly +5? Ive been able to have my Kitana d1~cutter out of it after it before he continues the block string, but sometimes it doesnt work.

If he does f+3 then stops and goes into another f+3 or whatever else normally you can poke out. If he gets the random advantage bug you can't.

So it's basically a 4 way mixup between f+3, f+3,3, hoping you don't get the random advantage bug, and hoping you don't get the input bug.

swag1

EX smash solves all
I seem to get blown up by Quan Chi's trance vs. my fans? Is this just me being shit?

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
I am not ignoring you RTM. I have never played vs a good Freddy so I have no idea. Only theory fighter.
Are you on PS3 or on XBL more? I saw you in the XBL lobby earlier today. I asked because I played with this Freddy player who made the Kitana vs Freddy MU very hectic and challenging. Since you didn't get to play a very good Freddy, you should message this Freddy player XxBuryMeInBlack on XBL for some matches. He told me he tested Freddy on 16Bit's Kitana for MU experience, not sure how that went. But still, I would add Freddy to her bad MU list too lol

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Fighting Freddy is all about knowing how to get close while taking as little damage as possible and maximizing your pressure when close. You really have to fight the character a lot to get used to his unique zoning game. Most players who fight Freddy for the first time get blown up because they dash, jump, fireball, etc. at the wrong times.
I'm starting to get familiar with the Freddy MU for Kitana. His rushdown is very underrated so I've been trying to make good reads and make use of Kitana's Ex Fan as a combo starter and punish a blocked Ground Claw. His Nightmare Stance up close can be a little tough because I think 1 (not sure which one) is the pop up combo launcher when Kitana jumps in, I've been doing Ok not trying to zone at all full screen because Freddy will win with the Ground Claws, Crawling Claw, Glove Toss, Green Dream Drop and her trade is not worth it. So far I've been closing space on Freddy getting in cautiously with D1 and 2,1 and watch out for Freddy's meter and Teleport to escape Kitana's rushdown.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I seem to get blown up by Quan Chi's trance vs. my fans? Is this just me being shit?

Know the distance he can trance from, it doesn't reach full screen. When you're in that range just be careful. He isn't trancing them on reaction, he's guessing. When he's wrong and you block you can dash in and blow him up with f+2,1.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Also vs the Man
full screen vs Chi in a fireball dual, I found that Kit actaully can keep up with quans skulls. You have to have perfect IAFs and D1 his skulls and go right into IAF after your D1. If he tries to slowing up his skull throwing you will get the upper hand with fans.

Your out of trance range so his only other option is to teleport and then you got him for punish. This works well for me and keeps you away from quan so he has no chance to rune trap your ass.