What's new

Match-up Discussion Kitana Matchup Discussion Thread

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
You should not be trying to engage in a fireball war vs Freddy unless you have a substantial life lead. Spikes "crouch" under fans, making them worthless. If the Freddy player is any good, you will die every time if you stay full screen away. Kitana's goal in this match up is to get close and pressure Freddy. I am not a Kitana player, but I am very well familiar with Freddy, so here are some pointers.

- every time gloves or fingers are blocked full screen away, a far spike must also be blocked. This projectile trap is extremely tight and can never be avoided. Just take the chip and dash forward. If the Freddy player tosses another glove/finger, react quickly, neutral crouch (vs glove) or jump forward (vs finger) and then dash forward. No spikes can harm you if you execute this strategy correctly.

- if you are full screen away and jump forward at the wrong time, mid spike can AA and send you back full screen into a combo. You can jump forward and toss an aerial fan to change your trajectory. However, if the Freddy player reads this, he can punish you.

- Freddy's crouching hitbox is huge just like Kenshi's. All of your pokes will hit. Freddy does not have the armor moves Kenshi has, though. His escape options are: EX teleport (vulnerable to throws on start up) and EX sweet dreams (has armor but really slow and limited tracking ability).

- point blank spikes are punishable on block. I think they are about as unsafe as Reptile's elbow dash. So I assume 2,1 + combo works.

Fighting Freddy is all about knowing how to get close while taking as little damage as possible and maximizing your pressure when close. You really have to fight the character a lot to get used to his unique zoning game. Most players who fight Freddy for the first time get blown up because they dash, jump, fireball, etc. at the wrong times.
Can we front page this? Holy shit a wealth of information for EVERY character is here.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Could someone please tell me what punishes Reptiles dash on block? I can't seem to get anything to work.
21 into whatever. You have a small window to punish this as he is -15 and 2 comes out in i11.

I was doing it online the other day, you just have to react fast.

You could mash :ex lift as that is i10, but a waste of meter imo.

AngryWorm

Hitomi's Pet
Offline: 2,1~lift or 2,1~ex fan
Online: LOL
That's what I thought originally. I was trying 21 online (since that's mostly the format I play in) but it was so rare that I actually got it I was starting to have my doubts.

21 into whatever. You have a small window to punish this as he is -15 and 2 comes out in i11.

I was doing it online the other day, you just have to react fast.

You could mash :ex lift as that is i10, but a waste of meter imo.
Thanks, I will give that a shot and see how it works out. At this point I'd try anything against Reptile, he still gives me a lot of trouble.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
That's what I thought originally. I was trying 21 online (since that's mostly the format I play in) but it was so rare that I actually got it I was starting to have my doubts.

Thanks, I will give that a shot and see how it works out. At this point I'd try anything against Reptile, he still gives me a lot of trouble.
21~cutter is a good option online since its safe and gives a safe jump on hit, if you have difficulty hit confirming 21 at least.

AngryWorm

Hitomi's Pet
I tried it again last night, still no luck. Guess it's an issue with the player and not the tech.

Speaking of issues, how does one beat Kabal? I got absolutely violated last night playing him and was told it was 5-5 match up.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Give up zoning unless they're fucking up IAGB or you have a significant life lead. You want to be close enough so you're past his zoning range but not close enough he can go into his pressure because he doesn't have a great answer for a blocked max range d+1 or f+2,1. He's one of the characters without a 6 frame d+1 so blocked f+2,1 is a neutral guessing game. I don't know, I'm not convinced that is 5-5.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Am I missing something on the Lui Kang match up? Brady has it in Kits favor but I'm not sure about that. Konqrr or Bit can you break this match up down for me please? I have my own thoughts on it, but would love to here about it from one of you guys. Thanks

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I argue with Tom about this on the podcast. I say it's in his favor or even at best.

Fireball war is in his favor we agree on that. Up close I say the advancing, fast f+1,2 and b+3,1,2 make playing the usual Kitana footsies game difficult. Tom argues she can keep him out with 2,1 and his weak wakeups allow her to pressure him on knockdown. I say that's an even bigger problem for her.

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
I'm a little bothered by him having the Sektor match as 5-5, I kinda figured Sektor had a slight advantage since missiles are hard to trade with then there's iaTU to worry about when zoning.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I'm a little bothered by him having the Sektor match as 5-5, I kinda figured Sektor had a slight advantage since missiles are hard to trade with then there's iaTU to worry about when zoning.

True and I think a bigger problem is his footsies with flames, f+2, b+1 and b+3. I'm not sure if it's bad though.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
If I can land a couple crossover jump kick to shoulder, it'll take 30 down ones to equal the damage I did.

When you're in range that you can do a crossup d+1 is no longer that big a deal. The problem is max range d+1. Trying to jump in from that range means you risk getting blown up by AA 2 or 3.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
I argue with Tom about this on the podcast. I say it's in his favor or even at best.

Fireball war is in his favor we agree on that. Up close I say the advancing, fast f+1,2 and b+3,1,2 make playing the usual Kitana footsies game difficult. Tom argues she can keep him out with 2,1 and his weak wakeups allow her to pressure him on knockdown. I say that's an even bigger problem for her.
Thanks Bit, I agree with this.

ninja edit: If you put the Kang match up at 5-5, Kitana would be 11th on Bradys chart and Kang wouldn't move,

but 7th to 11th is pretty tight in score,

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Thanks Bit, I agree with this.

ninja edit: If you put the Kang match up at 5-5, Kitana would be 11th on Bradys chart and Kang wouldn't move,

but 7th to 11th is pretty tight in score,
There are some other numbers on there that would be changed as well such as the noob (+1), sindel (-0.5), and nightwolf (+1) matchups. So with LK going even (-1). That would increase her overall number up a half a point and keep her exactly where she is now.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
yah just noticed the sindel one, read that wrong the first time through,

I need to work hard on that Noob match up. But I trust you if you say it's 6-4 Kit.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
As I posted in that thread, I agree that some matchups should be changed in both Kitana's disadvantage and advantage. The Sindel one makes the least sense to me, particularly. Overall, I could see about -3 or -3.5, with about +3, which wouldn't really drop her.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
When you're in range that you can do a crossup d+1 is no longer that big a deal. The problem is max range d+1. Trying to jump in from that range means you risk getting blown up by AA 2 or 3.
At max range d1, jumping is a bad idea. Nw can footsie back with d4, arrows and lightning. Bait fans and reflect and punish cutter for 40...someone figured it out!