What's new

Kitana General Discussion

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Razors is now one of her worst moves.

She is not offensive at all. You must zone with her so pick ground war, low fan, and then your choice of parry, up fan, or air down fan.

You can also go half blood stance and low fan.
Don't count out Fan-Nado with the buff to 2. In non-teleport matchups, it can do wonders locking down certain characters because it's difficult as hell to jump over when also accounting for fans. Jax, Lao, Johnny, Kollector, Shao, Terminator, and Baraka have a rough time dealing with Nado.

(Note: literally never pick Kitana into Kotal. Shit is easily a 7-3 matchup for Kotal, if not 8-2 at this point).

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Don't count out Fan-Nado with the buff to 2. In non-teleport matchups, it can do wonders locking down certain characters because it's difficult as hell to jump over when also accounting for fans. Jax, Lao, Johnny, Kollector, Shao, Terminator, and Baraka have a rough time dealing with Nado.

(Note: literally never pick Kitana into Kotal. Shit is easily a 7-3 matchup for Kotal, if not 8-2 at this point).
I'm counting it out because you need the damage off any string, not just the corner.

I really don’t understand how y’all can use Piercing Dagger, lol. That move is so insanely punishable... I just can’t. Yes, I’m aware it’s safe if you spend meter. That being said, Jade, Kabal, Sub-Zero (for God’s sake) wave hello.

I’m just sticking to HBS and Low Fan/Ground War until the patch after the “customs” patch comes out.
MB Piercing dagger at max B2 range and very low height is actually plus on block.
But that's not all. I occasionally throw out piercing dagger, then most of the time I jump in people for free without being anti air-ed lol

VELL1

Noob
Does anyone have any videos of high level play with Forward/Backward flutter.

I think I somewhat got the input down, bust I am not quite sure what the mind games are in this case.

DarksydeDash

Does anyone have any videos of high level play with Forward/Backward flutter.

I think I somewhat got the input down, bust I am not quite sure what the mind games are in this case.
Deoxys played it for a day and then stopped so check his twitch.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Can we revisit the Jade vs Kitana MU? I’m aware people would try to blow me up by saying Kitana can just react to anything Jade does (laughable, but whatever).

Now Jade has access to plus frames from her air glaives, a way to constantly stay safe and cover all of her gaps (that Kitana could previously contend without even using a resource), and can basically negate fans as a tool. Are you guys still saying it’s even?

Can we revisit the Jade vs Kitana MU? I’m aware people would try to blow me up by saying Kitana can just react to anything Jade does (laughable, but whatever).

Now Jade has access to plus frames from her air glaives, a way to constantly stay safe and cover all of her gaps (that Kitana could previously contend without even using a resource), and can basically negate fans as a tool. Are you guys still saying it’s even?
It has never been even IMO.
Kitana has terrible moveset, the only saving grace is her custom moves. But Jade is the charater that can negate all Kitana's custom moves, so Kitana has to rely on her terrible strings to fight a space control master like Jade

DarksydeDash

Its even if you already knew the MU. The teleport and ground war are the saving grace but advancing Flutter is a great way to get in.

If Jade isn't gonna run Delia dance or has no meter, we can still d3 after b343 to stop her + frames.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
If Jade isn't gonna run Delia dance...
I have yet to see any Jade players in tournaments not run Delia dance. LOL. Kitana Prime, Infiniti, Kevo, etc. all equip the move.

Delia dance does for Jade what razors used to do for Kitana. Every string resets neutral on block and leads to 50/50 mix ups on hit. Delia dance is effectively a better razors.

I doubt the match was even pre Ultimate and I highly doubt the match is even now. I do not believe that Jade is top tier, but she has good custom variations while Kitana has Edenian fade as a two slot move. LMAO.

cannoli_kahn

Avid Devs Hater
I faced a good Subzero online and by the elder gods....
It's not fine when Sub's d1 can punish EVERYTHING Kitana does, because 90% of her moveset are -7 or -8 on block, INCLUDING d1. And custom Sub has safe 50/50.
Fucking THIS. they give plus frames left and right but NOT one of the many useless Kitana strings get anything. What's the point of having multiple all mids strings that edns in -7???? What are the devs doing? Are they not getting paid enough? Can they not afford playtesters? Do they play their own game at all?

Stephanie is a self-proclaimed Kitana main yet the state of Kitana is just sad to see. I guess Steph does not take part in gameplay design.

Stanlos

Noob
Fucking THIS. they give plus frames left and right but NOT one of the many useless Kitana strings get anything. What's the point of having multiple all mids strings that edns in -7???? What are the devs doing? Are they not getting paid enough? Can they not afford playtesters? Do they play their own game at all?

Stephanie is a self-proclaimed Kitana main yet the state of Kitana is just sad to see. I guess Steph does not take part in gameplay design.
what is the Wishlist for Kitana's mains right now?

Last edited:

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
She doesn’t. QA testing can be incredibly mundane. Like checking every single fatality, on every single character, on every single part of the screen to make sure it functions properly. Wouldn’t leave a whole lot of time for influencing balance decisions.

VELL1

Noob

I mean so what...he'll punish you with D1. Whatever.

VELL1

Noob
I'll be running forward flutter and diagonal fan this season. But I think her stance is also pretty strong...

I am somewhat optimistic after watching deoxys stream...he does well with her.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
I faced a good Subzero online and by the elder gods....
It's not fine when Sub's d1 can punish EVERYTHING Kitana does, because 90% of her moveset are -7 or -8 on block, INCLUDING d1. And custom Sub has safe 50/50.

This assessment is entirely false though.

1,2, down 2 is -6 (safe) All other parts of the string are safe
Back 1,4,2 -4 (safe/one of her main strings). Back 1 is -4
Back 1, 3 -5 with pushback (safe) the ender of the string is -1 with pushback.
Back 2, 3,1 -5 (safe)
Forward 2, 2 -7 but pushback (down 1 doesn't reach).
Down 3 is -5, low profiles and can anti-air (also safe).
Down 4 is -9 but has so much pushback down 1 doesn't punish).

Back 1,4 is -7 which unless you're constantly ending with that why does it even matter? The punish is a one framer and she has a string ender that leads to KB or sends full screen depending on circumstances so legit not really worth it to be punishing 10/10 or even 5/10 anyway especially online lol.

Down 1 is one frame faster than down 4 which is safe so the obvious choice is down 4 of the two...range is comparable as well.

The comments just don't hold any pertinent water whatsoever in the context of her actual problems. Choosing to play her in a sub optimal way is not the developer's faults. Personal choice of the players.

DarksydeDash

This assessment is entirely false though.

1,2, down 2 is -6 (safe) All other parts of the string are safe
Back 1,4,2 -4 (safe/one of her main strings). Back 1 is -4
Back 1, 3 -5 with pushback (safe) the ender of the string is -1 with pushback.
Back 2, 3,1 -5 (safe)
Forward 2, 2 -7 but pushback (down 1 doesn't reach).
Down 3 is -5, low profiles and can anti-air (also safe).
Down 4 is -9 but has so much pushback down 1 doesn't punish).

Back 1,4 is -7 which unless you're constantly ending with that why does it even matter? The punish is a one framer and she has a string ender that leads to KB or sends full screen depending on circumstances so legit not really worth it to be punishing 10/10 or even 5/10 anyway especially online lol.

Down 1 is one frame faster than down 4 which is safe so the obvious choice is down 4 of the two...range is comparable as well.

The comments just don't hold any pertinent water whatsoever in the context of her actual problems. Choosing to play her in a sub optimal way is not the developer's faults. Personal choice of the players.
I honestly think Kitana does well vs sub because of low fan preventing slides. Teleport from stance shuts down iceball too. When he's in you gotta guess but so does everyone.

Kitana has a deceptive way of using frames in her gameplan in my opinion. Her goal isnt to use plus frames. Its to stagger with - frames honestly. b131 alone is the greatest example of this. So many people hunt for combos even the best players ive played, you find yourself stealing your turn back or jumping after being -5 again and again. And even if you stagger it, unlike Skarlet, theres only a handful of characters that can actually stop you from jumping back or backdashing from their poke/advancing mid (one of the main reasons I HATE Erron up close because he does both.)

Ive been seeing Kitana players stagger with s1. Like, what? Another strong example. s1 staggered leads to LITERALLY NOTHING. Even if you hit a 1,2 you are only at +4. Can't hit confirm because its two buttons to hit confirm. And if you hit a 1,2d2 they are on the ground and have all of their wakeup options. Yet, somehow this stagger works. Thats at least how I see Kitana's mindgames without plus frames.

And of course there is b2. You always have the option to flawless block d1s if your d3 doesn't reach. (It's interesting that most Kitana players don't do this.)

cannoli_kahn

Avid Devs Hater
Its even if you already knew the MU. The teleport and ground war are the saving grace but advancing Flutter is a great way to get in.

If Jade isn't gonna run Delia dance or has no meter, we can still d3 after b343 to stop her + frames.
Do you use Advanced Fan Flutter? I haven't heard of much other people using it. It's been my primary variation this (well last) season and I'm having a lot of fun with it. It took time to master the inputs (and I still haven't). While it's not her best loadout, it has caught a lot of players off guard and annoyed a handful others. I was pretty sure I'm the only Kitana player (not that many anyways) that's using it. Sadly it's still watered down Slight Gas Kabal.

DarksydeDash

Do you use Advanced Fan Flutter? I haven't heard of much other people using it. It's been my primary variation this (well last) season and I'm having a lot of fun with it. It took time to master the inputs (and I still haven't). While it's not her best loadout, it has caught a lot of players off guard and annoyed a handful others. I was pretty sure I'm the only Kitana player (not that many anyways) that's using it. Sadly it's still watered down Slight Gas Kabal.
I strongly believe that zoning with Kitana is her best build. I haven't used advanced flutter but I imagine its pretty good if you use it run away with low fan and react to jump in with air fan.